*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8767Likes

post #8071 of 9591 Old 11-17-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Thank you Gerry. I actually switched to input 3 ARC and it works fine with my Denon receiver. The only problem I just realized is that VUDU dolby vision content looks terrible compared to HDR10 from disc.
I played Infinity War through VUDU which is offered in ATMOS and Dolby Vision and the color was insanely pale. I had to raise the color setting on my 940E to around 70 to get the color to look anywhere near the HDR10 blu ray with color set to 50. Also the ATMOS soundtrack seemed to come through better from disc as well. For some reason I'm not able to adjust my speaker channel levels while using the ARC and internal apps either. This is a deal breaker because the dialog gets drowned out in my center channel and there's no way to raise it while in this ARC/Native App mode.
So I guess I'll be sticking with good ol' HDR10 from hard copy when available.
I'm seating here watching Tomb Raider (new one) with DV and ATMOS. Don't understand why yours is looking pale. Mine looks the same as from my ATV4K. You do remember that you need to calibrate each HDMI input on it's own? Also you need to calibrate the internal apps also. I use the same settings pretty much across all my devices...
Gerry

PS: ATMOS over ARC is DD+ with ATMOS riding on top it it (compressed). ATMOS from disc is uncompressed.. The ATMOS from my ATV4K is also DD+ with ATMOS but is in a PCM-MAT container..

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra

Last edited by ggw2000; 11-17-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 9591 Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 PM
ISF III Calibrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Quote:
Thank you Gerry. I actually switched to input 3 ARC and it works fine with my Denon receiver. The only problem I just realized is that VUDU dolby vision content looks terrible compared to HDR10 from disc.
I played Infinity War through VUDU which is offered in ATMOS and Dolby Vision and the color was insanely pale. I had to raise the color setting on my 940E to around 70 to get the color to look anywhere near the HDR10 blu ray with color set to 50. Also the ATMOS soundtrack seemed to come through better from disc as well. For some reason I'm not able to adjust my speaker channel levels while using the ARC and internal apps either. This is a deal breaker because the dialog gets drowned out in my center channel and there's no way to raise it while in this ARC/Native App mode.
So I guess I'll be sticking with good ol' HDR10 from hard copy when available.
I'm seating here watching Tomb Raider (new one) with DV and ATMOS. Don't understand why yours is looking pale. Mine looks the same as from my ATV4K. You do remember that you need to calibrate each HDMI input on it's own? Also you need to calibrate the internal apps also. I use the same settings pretty much across all my devices...
Gerry

PS: ATMOS over ARC is DD+ with ATMOS riding on top it it (compressed). ATMOS from disc is uncompressed.. The ATMOS from my ATV4K is also DD+ with ATMOS but is in a PCM-MAT container..
I’m an idiot. I realized that my color in my UB820 was boosted to +12 which is why it made the flat color saturation of the native apps in the tv look more pale.

ISF III Certified Calibrator
post #8073 of 9591 Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
Same here. It sucks.
Everything I've ever watched in Dolby Vision and HDR10 through this tv is bright as I've ever seen any tv get.
I mainly use the Nvidia Shield TV for all streaming and for all physical discs I use my Panasonic UB820 player which is outstanding.
I never use the tv's native apps or operating system for anything.
I suggest getting an ATV 4k box or Nvidia Shield TV for streaming everything. These devices can be locked into the proper HDMI settings like 4k 60hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2

What do you stream? Through an app? From your library? Torrents? I have my shield hooked up on a different tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 9591 Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 PM
ISF III Calibrator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
What do you stream? Through an app? From your library? Torrents? I have my shield hooked up on a different tv.
All of those. I use Plex on the Shield with an 8TB hard drive hooked up. Works great for home streaming hi res movies and downloads with ATMOS tracks. HDR10 only on the shield so for anything DV I use the Panasonic UB820 or even my 940E's native apps for VUDU/DV. Can also stream HDR10 files over USB with the UB820 and utilize the HDR Optimizer functions.
I use my Shield for youtube TV a lot too. Pretty much all bases covered.

post #8075 of 9591 Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Put me down as another 940E owner that is now experiencing vertical banding on images containing grayish backgrounds. Crap!

When we got the 940E last year I used my attached Mac Mini to display a large variety of solid and patterned colors. Although the screen didn't have perfect uniformity, it was far and away the best looking large LCD TV screen I had ever viewed. There was no evidence of any significant DSE or vertical banding. My only "complaint" (and I didn't even complain about it, because I was aware of it before I bought the set) was vignetting in the corners.

Fast forward to about a week ago when I watched the 4K version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. During the night scenes, when the background was a grayish color, I immediately noticed some vertical banding right up the middle of the screen. VERY noticeable. VERY upsetting.

Now when I display a solid light gray background via my Mac Mini the banding is quite obvious.

I *did* install the latest Sony 940E firmware about 2-3 days before I watched Sorcerer's Stone. I can't help but think that had something to do with it.

I don't remember the exact date of purchase for my set but I have a feeling my Sony warranty is already over. I did get a Square Trade extended warranty on the set, however.

I'm not a happy camper. I watched 'Air Force One' 4K last night and there was the annoying vertical banding smack in the middle of the screen again (night scenes).

This was my first Sony purchase in decades. I'd avoided Sony products because so many of my friends had issues with them. But the 940E had such a gorgeous (large) image for the price, I couldn't help myself. Now I feel like an idiot for trusting Sony again. Grrrrr...

Mark
post #8076 of 9591 Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
You do remember that you need to calibrate each HDMI input on it's own? Also you need to calibrate the internal apps also. I use the same settings pretty much across all my devices...
Gerry

When you use the built in Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. do you need to calibrate? If yes, how do you access those settings? I set my inputs but never noticed how to set the ones for built in apps.

SONY XBR 75X940e
SONY XBR 55HX950
SONY KDL-46HX850
SONY UBP-X700
post #8077 of 9591 Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
^weird...works the same way no matter the input or internal apps.
post #8078 of 9591 Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee49 View Post
When you use the built in Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. do you need to calibrate? If yes, how do you access those settings? I set my inputs but never noticed how to set the ones for built in apps.
To do a quick check of your settings on the built in apps just hit the "action menu" then picture settings while in the app or playing something with the app. I know when I had my x850C it was strange in that all the apps that were originally on the set calibrated all at the same time. But if I downloaded an app it had to be calibrated on it's own. Very easy to check the settings for each app that you might be using as your settings should be pretty much the same across all of them.
Gerry
eltee49 likes this.

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
post #8079 of 9591 Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Put me down as another 940E owner that is now experiencing vertical banding on images containing grayish backgrounds. Crap!

When we got the 940E last year I used my attached Mac Mini to display a large variety of solid and patterned colors. Although the screen didn't have perfect uniformity, it was far and away the best looking large LCD TV screen I had ever viewed. There was no evidence of any significant DSE or vertical banding. My only "complaint" (and I didn't even complain about it, because I was aware of it before I bought the set) was vignetting in the corners.

Fast forward to about a week ago when I watched the 4K version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. During the night scenes, when the background was a grayish color, I immediately noticed some vertical banding right up the middle of the screen. VERY noticeable. VERY upsetting.

Now when I display a solid light gray background via my Mac Mini the banding is quite obvious.

I *did* install the latest Sony 940E firmware about 2-3 days before I watched Sorcerer's Stone. I can't help but think that had something to do with it.

I don't remember the exact date of purchase for my set but I have a feeling my Sony warranty is already over. I did get a Square Trade extended warranty on the set, however.

I'm not a happy camper. I watched 'Air Force One' 4K last night and there was the annoying vertical banding smack in the middle of the screen again (night scenes).

This was my first Sony purchase in decades. I'd avoided Sony products because so many of my friends had issues with them. But the 940E had such a gorgeous (large) image for the price, I couldn't help myself. Now I feel like an idiot for trusting Sony again. Grrrrr...

Mark

I have had the 940E for over a year and love it. I did notice a few months ago slight vertical banding in HDR/DV only content in low light scenes and horizontal panning shots, right in the middle of the screen. It was pretty subdued most of the time so it didn't bother me too much. I have noticed it much more often recently, I wonder if it is deterioration or has to do with the last Sony firmware update.

I did notice that I could reduce the effect of the vertical banding by increasing smooth gradation from low to high and also decreasing Extended Dynamic range.

I do hope that it is a firmware issue that does get fixed though and doesn't get worse.
post #8080 of 9591 Old 11-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post
I have had the 940E for over a year and love it. I did notice a few months ago slight vertical banding in HDR/DV only content in low light scenes and horizontal panning shots, right in the middle of the screen. It was pretty subdued most of the time so it didn't bother me too much. I have noticed it much more often recently, I wonder if it is deterioration or has to do with the last Sony firmware update.

I did notice that I could reduce the effect of the vertical banding by increasing smooth gradation from low to high and also decreasing Extended Dynamic range.

I do hope that it is a firmware issue that does get fixed though and doesn't get worse.
In a (semi) recent firmware update they completely fixed the horizontal banding problem, for which we're grateful. However, it had a very negative effect on vertical banding (DSE) for our set - it really can stick out now like a sore thumb at times, but we forgive it given all of its other great qualities. So yes, for us, the firmware gaveth and it tooketh away.

Cheers,
Paul Cordingley
post #8081 of 9591 Old 11-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 67
And though it seems to me that the latest firmware update only served to improve overall clarity and transparency; even off angle. My set has 9 months of use. It may be fair to say that as the dynamic artifacts are reduced, you will start to see other remnant artifacts, that were there before, but just not so noticeable. Also , if these vertical bands are only seen with camera motion, it could be the sets image retention artifact. I see that if there are lots of vertical details and the camera pans sideways quickly. But in still shots, the transparency is breathtaking to me, especially nighttime wet road scenes. And I am only talking SD. For reference, I have the brightness on 17, clearness on 1. smoothness on 3. Color Temperature on Neutral. The only factory setting I have altered is color to 55. Contrast is set with the munsil disc, I believe it is on 90.
post #8082 of 9591 Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still unable to setup the microphone option on the remote.

I searched but no luck.

I went through the activation process of hitting the minus button on the volume and holding it down while hitting the mic button for 3 seconds. After several attempts I still get, "Something went wrong, please try again later" on a popup window.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

SONY XBR 75X940e
SONY XBR 55HX950
SONY KDL-46HX850
SONY UBP-X700
post #8083 of 9591 Old 11-22-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post

That’s unsettling to read, we only got our set in late Sept but after about 3 weeks a strong vertical band appeared when the screen is void of content. By this, I mean when thentv turns on and hasn’t yet displayed input signal, and is the default grey backdrop. During content bright or dark, it cannot be seen, and I hope it stays this way, I have minor DSE in very specific scenarios but I wouldn’t find banding during playback acceptable at all - this is why I bought the 940E and not an OLED anyway.

Sony 75X940E - NAD T587v3 - Dynaudio Excite X14 + Emit M10 - Rythmik L12
post #8084 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
All of those. I use Plex on the Shield with an 8TB hard drive hooked up. Works great for home streaming hi res movies and downloads with ATMOS tracks. HDR10 only on the shield so for anything DV I use the Panasonic UB820 or even my 940E's native apps for VUDU/DV. Can also stream HDR10 files over USB with the UB820 and utilize the HDR Optimizer functions.
I use my Shield for youtube TV a lot too. Pretty much all bases covered.

I have a Nvidia Shield and have a question regarding upscaling. What is your setting on Nvidia Shield (or TV) so TV can do all the upscaling? Everyone who owns Sony 900 series TVs saying that TV will do better on upscaling 720-1080 content and I can't seem to find the settings for that on Nvidia Shield or TV?

Thanks
post #8085 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill07 View Post
I have a Nvidia Shield and have a question regarding upscaling. What is your setting on Nvidia Shield (or TV) so TV can do all the upscaling? Everyone who owns Sony 900 series TVs saying that TV will do better on upscaling 720-1080 content and I can't seem to find the settings for that on Nvidia Shield or TV?

Thanks
There is nothing to do on the TV side. Everything is 4K in the end. You need to figure out how to make the Nvidia output "native" or something like 1080P. Can't help you in that aspect as I use an ATV4K.
Gerry
killbill07 likes this.

post #8086 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Have anyone have issue with tv intermittently dropping sound? I have mine hook up to Denton AVR X4200w using ARC to send the sound to my home theater system. I notice the logo for 5.1 sound and other blink when I lost the sound then apear again when sound is back on. I tried the usage app on amazon fire tv that hook directly to the AVR and i have no issue. This led me to believe its he sound that comes from tv to the receivever issue.

Sorry for the messy paragraph, I was typing using my iPad
post #8087 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM
ISF III Calibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill07 View Post

Thanks
Just set the shield resolution and HDMI settings to exactly what the source output is I would think. I could be wrong.

1080p 60hz 8 Bit 4:2:0 Rec709 for SDR
4k 60hz 12 Bit 4:2:2 BT2020 for HDR

Last edited by Evan201; 11-25-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #8088 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 05:14 PM
ISF III Calibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post
Have anyone have issue with tv intermittently dropping sound? I have mine hook up to Denton AVR X4200w using ARC to send the sound to my home theater system. I notice the logo for 5.1 sound and other blink when I lost the sound then apear again when sound is back on. I tried the usage app on amazon fire tv that hook directly to the AVR and i have no issue. This led me to believe its he sound that comes from tv to the receivever issue.

Sorry for the messy paragraph, I was typing using my iPad
Do you have HMDI control and ARC both set to "on" in the denon video > HDMI settings?

post #8089 of 9591 Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have HMDI control and ARC both set to "on" in the denon video > HDMI settings?
Yes I do have both of them on, right now I went ahead and change the cable and plugged Ethernet cable directly into the tv. Fingers cross
post #8090 of 9591 Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
That’s unsettling to read, we only got our set in late Sept but after about 3 weeks a strong vertical band appeared when the screen is void of content. By this, I mean when thentv turns on and hasn’t yet displayed input signal, and is the default grey backdrop. During content bright or dark, it cannot be seen, and I hope it stays this way, I have minor DSE in very specific scenarios but I wouldn’t find banding during playback acceptable at all - this is why I bought the 940E and not an OLED anyway.
Yes it is one of those things that is only noticeable maybe 1% or less of the time but now that I know it is there it is something I am looking for and focusing on which takes away from the enjoyment. I do hope a firmware update may help it a bit but I am starting to think it is just inherent now to the screen and hope it doesn't become more pronounced than it is currently.

Besides that, I still look forward everyday to watching this set over a year after getting it. Movies and sports are just awesome. (and the size)
post #8091 of 9591 Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakenGoby View Post
I just ordered the XBR75X940E from Amazon. This TV will replace my Pioneer Kuro in my family room. After hours of reading and watching reviews, visiting stores, and reading this forum, I concluded that 75” was worth the extra money and the X940E was the best deal to be had at the moment. Anyway...just saying hi, and looking forward to next week when it’s delivered.
Wondering how your opinions are with buying from Amazon? Good, bad, indifferent?

Here in the next day, I'm going to buy this before they're gone, either through Amazon or BB. I'm leaning towards BB. Any thoughts from the consensus of owners out there on either place to purchase it through?
post #8092 of 9591 Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Looks like Oreo should be rolling out soon.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57172032
milesdavisii and audiofan1 like this.
post #8093 of 9591 Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I certainly hope it improves android OS...cause navigating is incredibly cumbersome.
post #8094 of 9591 Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Wondering how your opinions are with buying from Amazon? Good, bad, indifferent?

Here in the next day, I'm going to buy this before they're gone, either through Amazon or BB. I'm leaning towards BB. Any thoughts from the consensus of owners out there on either place to purchase it through?

I had a SquareTrade replacement 940E arrive from Amazon a few months ago. Professional job. They use XPO Logistics for trucking. Kept box standing upright. They unboxed the TV, attached the stand with the TV upright, placed the TV, and waited until we turned it on and inspected it. All in all, a great experience.
srkmish and Seryl like this.

Sony XBR75X940E
Denon X4200W

OPPO UDP-203
post #8095 of 9591 Old 11-28-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post

Great experience. I purchased through a third party fulfilled by Amazon. Unless you want to pick it up in person, I see no reason to choose one retailer over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8096 of 9591 Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Looks like Oreo should be rolling out soon.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57172032
Nice
post #8097 of 9591 Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV JJ View Post
I had a SquareTrade replacement 940E arrive from Amazon a few months ago. Professional job. They use XPO Logistics for trucking. Kept box standing upright. They unboxed the TV, attached the stand with the TV upright, placed the TV, and waited until we turned it on and inspected it. All in all, a great experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakenGoby View Post
Great experience. I purchased through a third party fulfilled by Amazon. Unless you want to pick it up in person, I see no reason to choose one retailer over the other.
Thanks for the info guys! Eases my mind a bit.
TV is on order Just have to wait till next Tuesday now for delivery. Super stoked for my eyes to be given a real treat!
Moving up from a 65" KS8000. With Sony's extensive menu options, it'll be big learning curve coming from the sammy, but will be worth it in the end.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #8098 of 9591 Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^congrats...this should be a nice improvement for sure, I had an nu8000 while not as at the same level as the KS, you should notice a much more accurate picture!
post #8099 of 9591 Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
x940e quality issues

Hi All- I am debating between x900f and x940e. x900f is costing me few hundred dollars cheaper. I have couple of questions for you:

1. Is x940e worth the extra cost over x900f? I am not a gamer and don't watch sports that much.
2. I was almost sold on buying x940e but saw few people complaining about quality issues on this TV, especially around vertical bending. Is this a rare quality issue that is affecting only very few people or it's quite common? I am worried that I will be stuck with a bad piece and Sony won't be able to replace it since they don't manufacture it anymore.
post #8100 of 9591 Old 11-29-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^welcome, unfortunately you'll always have some form of uniformity issues no matter the panel. If it were me I would go with the 940e simply because of more zones, and higher nits if that matters to you. Right now the 940e is at a great price.
audiofan1 and srkmish like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 11-29-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page