*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 301 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8635Likes

post #9001 of 9285 Old 05-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I never received the 6.5850 update and now there's a 6.6510 update. Guess it's time to go with usb updating, but not until this storm passes.
Likewise...I just did the manual USB update to ver 6.5850. Hard to say if anything improved...

However, I continue to have flickering issues (hard to describe, they look like brief spurts of light) when playing Amazon Prime HDR shows/movies via ATV4k...non-existent on Netflix though. Unsure if it's ATV4k or Amazon's fault here...

Anyone else experienced these light flickers on Prime HDR content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9285 Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oddly enough, motion blur actually helps in smoothing the appearance of slow frame rate material, ie movies! But you can see it clearly in Golf. Just watch the ball when they put, and you will see the double image of two balls, one slightly following the other. That is motion blur and no settings have I found will eliminate this because it is not a processing issue, it is a panel response issue. Fast motion past things like picket fences and other uniformly spaced images will show this as well. But overall your eye/brain gets past it. I am more attracted to the dynamic range between dark and bright. And the 940E never dissapoints me.Wet roads at night with reflected light and explosions and weapons fire just illuminate the room, it is very impressive.
Almost blinding at times in a really dark room. I’m starting to worry about burn-in. Not with the set, but with my eyes 👀. This set is amazing.
audiofan1 likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #9003 of 9285 Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Almost blinding at times in a really dark room. I’m starting to worry about burn-in. Not with the set, but with my eyes 👀. This set is amazing.
I saw some burn-in on my set a few days ago. There was an ESPN logo in the lower left corner of the screen, very light but definitely there. I had a friend house sitting for me a few weeks ago and he only watches sports. I put a lump on his head. Well, not really but I was thinking about it. Thankfully the burn-in is gone.
pappaduke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9004 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
I saw some burn-in on my set a few days ago. There was an ESPN logo in the lower left corner of the screen, very light but definitely there. I had a friend house sitting for me a few weeks ago and he only watches sports. I put a lump on his head. Well, not really but I was thinking about it. Thankfully the burn-in is gone.
If you did see anything, it's IR (image retention) not burn-in which is permanent as in plasmas and oled..
Gerry
Seryl likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #9005 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
If you did see anything, it's IR (image retention) not burn-in which is permanent as in plasmas and oled..
Gerry
Thank you for the clarification, I'm glad to know the differences.
post #9006 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Update hit for me last night. I paused First Man for a call, decided to check, and it updated. Will see this weekend if anything is different. It definitely kept my custom settings.
post #9007 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been using apps more recently to view streaming content and I am wondering has anyone here been tracking the performance of the various Apps?

For instance I have noticed that the performance of some apps has varied greatly over the past year as follows (I have done all firmware updates prior to 5/27/19):

Amazon Prime - transmits multi-channel audio, if 4K picture has black bars, the bars are gray instead of black now and HDR icon does not trigger. (used to 4K just fine)

Netflix - transmits multi-channel sound and HDR/DV icon is triggered (no issues!)

Movies Anywhere - no multi-channel sound and no HDR

Vudu - no multi-channel sound and no HDR (used to do both just fine)

Plex - no multi-channel sound (not sure about HDR as I do not have HDR content on my home server)

Google Play - no multi-channel sound and no HDR

This is completely unacceptable for so many apps to not work correctly and to fluctuate in performance after updates.
post #9008 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
Update hit for me last night. I paused First Man for a call, decided to check, and it updated. Will see this weekend if anything is different. It definitely kept my custom settings.
For some reason the updates don’t get to me even though I have auto update turned on. So last night I finally downloaded the current update to a flash drive. Happy to say everything went well and was actually quite easy. Still puzzled as to why updates don’t come to me automatically?

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #9009 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
For some reason the updates don’t get to me even though I have auto update turned on. So last night I finally downloaded the current update to a flash drive. Happy to say everything went well and was actually quite easy. Still puzzled as to why updates don’t come to me automatically?
From what I have read, they roll it out geographically. I never could make any sense of that, perhaps to alleviate their servers from getting overloaded, no clue. I just decided to check it and it displayed "update found" or whatever so I did. I turn off automatic updates because you never know when they are going to put a bad patch on the panel. It's happened before. On my 900E they rolled out an update that caused massive issues for many people with arc, soundbars, and some AVR's. I know I am done using any of my panel's native OS/Apps. Using ATV's across the board. How Sony or any panel mfr is going to keep their OS updated long term (5, 7, 10 years) escapes me. I'm sure like a PC/laptop, after a certain year they'll just quit supporting it. Would much prefer a dumb panel. Things cost too much now.
TATITO likes this.
post #9010 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I have read, they roll it out geographically. I never could make any sense of that, perhaps to alleviate their servers from getting overloaded, no clue. I just decided to check it and it displayed "update found" or whatever so I did. I turn off automatic updates because you never know when they are going to put a bad patch on the panel. It's happened before. On my 900E they rolled out an update that caused massive issues for many people with arc, soundbars, and some AVR's. I know I am done using any of my panel's native OS/Apps. Using ATV's across the board. How Sony or any panel mfr is going to keep their OS updated long term (5, 7, 10 years) escapes me. I'm sure like a PC/laptop, after a certain year they'll just quit supporting it. Would much prefer a dumb panel. Things cost too much now.
I read the same about how they roll out the updates, but with the latest update I was now behind because I never got the 6.5850 update. Even when I checked manually the TV would say my firmware was up to date even though it wasn’t. From now on I’ll just use a flash drive and take your advice and just turn off auto updates.
It’s nice of the manufacturers to add apps to TV’s, but I prefer a separate streamer. Like you, I’d prefer a “dumb” set at a lower price and just purchase the streamer that works best for me.

post #9011 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 193
One online retailer has a few of these for less than $2300. Any ideas on if that should go lower or is that the bottom line for the X940E? Has anyone else ordered online? If so, any issues or concerns versus buying from brick and mortar?

I also wish I could see one in person before I commit. The closest BB to me doesn't have one but it may be worth driving the 40 miles to go to the nearest one that does.
post #9012 of 9285 Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 PM

I bought one from the same source (Home Audio Video Center or whatever it’s called on Amazon) for $200 more a month ago. The box arrived cleaner than me picking up a panel at the local Best Buy. Box was mint condition. They ship it on a crate to a local distribution center to you. Then it gets loaded on the van. Van company they used here had the box right side up like it should be and helped me get it in the house. I was nervous as hell too. Never ordered something like this online. But to my surprise, whole process was perfect. Box and panel arrived in 100% condition. My other panels, picking them up myself had at least some kind of box impact. Not on the 940, wasn’t a mark on the box.

Watched Aquaman on 4K disc tonight. Oh my goodness. That’s the best and most vibrant film I’ve watched to show off the incredible blacks, color, and contrast of the 940E yet. It was truly stunning. Movie is a bit cornball (lowest common denominator script, lines, etc) but man does it show off how damn good this panel is. It’s an absolutely incredible panel. They did a damn good job on the disc mastering too. Hairs, skin detail, all the colors, reference quality. All the colors under the sea were mind blowing. Best PQ I have seen so far on a 4K disc. Like a 100 mile fastball that the panel belted out of the stadium. Blown away by the panel. My friend with a 940D pushing me towards this (for many thousands less compared to the projector/screen I wanted or OLED) was right. First scene with rain and lightning strikes were incredible on Atmos too.
post #9013 of 9285 Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Also bought online from Home Audio Video Center couple of months ago. No issues at all. Made it from CA to FL without a scratch on the box.
irishluck73 likes this.
post #9014 of 9285 Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked: 3548
Quote:
I bought one from the same source (Home Audio Video Center or whatever it’s called on Amazon) for $200 more a month ago. The box arrived cleaner than me picking up a panel at the local Best Buy. Box was mint condition. They ship it on a crate to a local distribution center to you. Then it gets loaded on the van. Van company they used here had the box right side up like it should be and helped me get it in the house. I was nervous as hell too. Never ordered something like this online. But to my surprise, whole process was perfect. Box and panel arrived in 100% condition. My other panels, picking them up myself had at least some kind of box impact. Not on the 940, wasn’t a mark on the box.

Watched Aquaman on 4K disc tonight. Oh my goodness. That’s the best and most vibrant film I’ve watched to show off the incredible blacks, color, and contrast of the 940E yet. It was truly stunning. Movie is a bit cornball (lowest common denominator script, lines, etc) but man does it show off how damn good this panel is. It’s an absolutely incredible panel. They did a damn good job on the disc mastering too. Hairs, skin detail, all the colors, reference quality. All the colors under the sea were mind blowing. Best PQ I have seen so far on a 4K disc. Like a 100 mile fastball that the panel belted out of the stadium. Blown away by the panel. My friend with a 940D pushing me towards this (for many thousands less compared to the projector/screen I wanted or OLED) was right. First scene with rain and lightning strikes were incredible on Atmos too.
This set is still one of the best LCDs out their from Sony only beaten by the the Z9D, still holds its own...lucky to have it!
audiofan1 and Kevnmin like this.
post #9015 of 9285 Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 AM

I know that most of us want to validate our purchases, but there is dangerous merit if every other page on this thread someone posts something like “best LCD out there” or “best money I’ve spent”, “don’t regret buying my 940E”...”ooh my...the blacks, the colours and contrast on this set”...

If you don’t have this set, and are in the market....what are you waiting for???
audiofan1 and Cam1977 like this.
post #9016 of 9285 Old 06-01-2019, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I bought one from the same source (Home Audio Video Center or whatever it’s called on Amazon) for $200 more a month ago... First scene with rain and lightning strikes were incredible on Atmos too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardBEL View Post
Also bought online from Home Audio Video Center couple of months ago. No issues at all. Made it from CA to FL without a scratch on the box.
Thank you both for sharing your experiences. Definitely helps the buying process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
I know that most of us want to validate our purchases, but there is dangerous merit if every other page on this thread someone posts something like “best LCD out there” or “best money I’ve spent”, “don’t regret buying my 940E”...”ooh my...the blacks, the colours and contrast on this set”...

If you don’t have this set, and are in the market....what are you waiting for???
I've settled on the 940E or the 85" 900F and will be going to look at them today or tomorrow... Last decision going from a 65" Vizio M to one of these sets.
post #9017 of 9285 Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked: 3548
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post

Happens on every thread for sure. However look at what Sony has right now...the Z9F, in that thread most owners sugar coat the immense flaws that set has, not one i would spend premium money on. The 950G is not a proper replacement for the 940e. Right now if I were in the market for a Sony LCD I would scour as much as possible for a Z9D or a 940e...simple as that imo.

Last edited by Cam1977; 06-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #9018 of 9285 Old 06-02-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I remember back in early 2018 Sony took a stance that they weren't pursuing HDR10+... just wanted to circle back to that, I haven't kept up with this thread much (just been THOROUGHLY ENJOYING my 940E ), but has anything new come out about that? I don't own any HDR10+ content yet but if/when I do, is it going to be supported with our sets?
post #9019 of 9285 Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

No one has a X940E anywhere close to me. Would someone please let me know the distance the stand protrudes forward from the screen?
post #9020 of 9285 Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
No one has a X940E anywhere close to me. Would someone please let me know the distance the stand protrudes forward from the screen?
Approximately 4 3/4 inches...
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #9021 of 9285 Old 06-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Gerry
Thank you. It'll be put into a built in wall unit and I was wondering how far back it would be recessed.
post #9022 of 9285 Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Gerry
Thank you. It'll be put into a built in wall unit and I was wondering how far back it would be recessed.
You probably looked into it already, but make sure you have plenty of ventilation for the TV (or any other gear for that matter).
post #9023 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Finally dropped below $2k and I had to jump on it! Order placed this morning for the X940E, supposed to be delivered on Monday. I could have got it Saturday but we'll be out of town for a wedding...

Really looking forward to receiving it and working on getting it dialed in. I just got the X800M2 and will be ordering the ATV4K after reading so many positive reviews in this thread.
post #9024 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 342
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is an amazing price for the 940E !

I paid twice as much and considered it a bargain at the time.

Just make sure to inspect shipping box upon arrival for any noticeable damage and when you have it all set up throw some full-screen digital brightness test images extending from full black to 5~10~20~30 IRE up to full white 100 IRE full screen to check for screen uniformity issues.

Congrats.
irishluck73 likes this.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #9025 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Finally dropped below $2k and I had to jump on it! Order placed this morning for the X940E, supposed to be delivered on Monday. I could have got it Saturday but we'll be out of town for a wedding...

Really looking forward to receiving it and working on getting it dialed in. I just got the X800M2 and will be ordering the ATV4K after reading so many positive reviews in this thread.

Congrats..You made a great choice. Someone else started a thread today looking for a 75" TV at or under $2k that I suggested the same Amazon deal to.
irishluck73 likes this.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
post #9026 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Have the same setup, 940E, 4k ATV, and X800M2. Do yourself and buy Blade Runner 2049 (4k) and Aquaman (4k). Then hold onto your sheot as the visual capability blows your hair back. Both are reference discs and Aquaman visuals with all the colors will absolutely blow your mind on this setup. Congrats on the price. I paid $2500 a month or so ago, saw it dip to $2198, now back to $2398. You scored the deal of a lifetime on that panel. it was 6k when it debuted on the market.
irishluck73 likes this.
post #9027 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is an amazing price for the 940E !

I paid twice as much and considered it a bargain at the time.

Just make sure to inspect shipping box upon arrival for any noticeable damage and when you have it all set up throw some full-screen digital brightness test images extending from full black to 5~10~20~30 IRE up to full white 100 IRE full screen to check for screen uniformity issues.

Congrats.
Thank you. This will be my first nice Sony set. Are the digital brightness test images in the internal menus or do these need to be generated by an external source?

Quote:
Have the same setup, 940E, 4k ATV, and X800M2. Do yourself and buy Blade Runner 2049 (4k) and Aquaman (4k). Then hold onto your sheot as the visual capability blows your hair back. Both are reference discs and Aquaman visuals with all the colors will absolutely blow your mind on this setup. Congrats on the price. I paid $2500 a month or so ago, saw it dip to $2198, now back to $2398. You scored the deal of a lifetime on that panel. it was 6k when it debuted on the market.
Aquaman looks great on the existing Vizio with an X800 so I imagine it'll look far better on the Sony. The price keeps fluctuating. I almost bought it the other day at $2198 and then it jumped back up so I told my wife if it dropped down under $2200 I would grab it and lucky me it went under $2k this morning.

I apologize in advance for all the questions to come regarding setup, it's a whole new platform for me.
post #9028 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Congrats..You made a great choice. Someone else started a thread today looking for a 75" TV at or under $2k that I suggested the same Amazon deal to.
That was me! Just looking around...would it be worth the extra money to consider the XBR75X900F?
post #9029 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
That was me! Just looking around...would it be worth the extra money to consider the XBR75X900F?
I am far from an expert. However, after lots and lots of reading and comparisons I believe the X940E to be the right choice for movies, TV, streaming, etc. Unless you're using it mainly for gaming and then the X900F may be the better choice.
post #9030 of 9285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I am far from an expert. However, after lots and lots of reading and comparisons I believe the X940E to be the right choice for movies, TV, streaming, etc. Unless you're using it mainly for gaming and then the X900F may be the better choice.
I have an Xbox One X but use it very rarely. Just moved into a new house and the TCL 55R617 I bought a few months ago just looks tiny against the tall den wall that vaults up to the second floor. I'm hoping 75" will look better and I plan to wall mount it rather than place it on a stand, unless I can find a lower profile stand I like. That is just about as difficult as picking out a TV. Our viewing is mostly streaming TV shows and movies so I don't mind some lag for gaming no more than I do. So, what would I be missing in buying a 2-year old model over what is coming out now or in a few months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page