*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 307 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8638Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9181 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Member
 
CaptHowdy000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Clinton Twp MI USA
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabbaJ View Post
Driver is currently on route to my place. He hasn't arrived yet, but sent me this picture of the box. Here are the pics.


Driver told me he put his hand into the hole area and felt that there was thick styrofoam. He couldn't feel any screen or plastic. Hoping it was just a bump in. But, these big TVs are also fragile and temperamental


I'm so mad at Airgroup (Radiant Logistics). I asked VAC to send me a perfect box, and this is what happened. I'm sure that their shipper is messing this up.


VAC asked me to receive the unit, and I agreed. If it works well, they'll give me a discount. If it is busted, they'll just refund it to me and have me ship it back at their cost.


Fingers crossed.

I won't be home Saturday when mine is delivered. I told the wife if there is any shipping damage to the box than refuse shipment. VAC can start holding thier shipper accountable.


Norm
CaptHowdy000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9182 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,775
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post
You gotta wait for them to load...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am aware of the short wait, considering the dozens of times i accessed these specific settings.

It usually takes less than 10 seconds to show the list of apps and right now i have just been waiting for almost 5 minutes and nothing happens.

Another thing is, when scrolling down under "Apps" my set now automatically skips both "Downloaded apps" and "System apps" options !

I guess i will have to contact Sony support soon and i wonder how helpful they would be considering how esoteric this is.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
MCaugusto is offline  
post #9183 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy000 View Post
I won't be home Saturday when mine is delivered. I told the wife if there is any shipping damage to the box than refuse shipment. VAC can start holding thier shipper accountable.


Norm
Yes I spoke with VAC about this.

They are going to have a chat with Radiant Logistics because I think this keeps happening

They said that whatever I choose, they will be taking a loss on this at the fault of the courrier. Either I keep it and they give me a discount, or I send it back at their cost

VAC has been pretty good though

They reply to emails quick and a real person picks up when I call them
WabbaJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9184 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Look what just arrived!!!. The box exterior seems to be in great shape so hopefully everything's ok inside as well. Had it shipped to a relative in Buffalo. I live in Canada (Toronto, GTA) so now I just have to go collect it and pay the duties/taxes to bring it back. Can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940E.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	2589920  
Tony1 likes this.
atabea is online now  
post #9185 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Newbie
 
seattlecosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry Sony XBR 940 TV Remote Won’t Turn on TV

I’ve had my Sony XBR 940 for 2 years and it has just started not to respond to the remote power button on a few occasions. I have had to unplug the TV and plug it back in, and then the remote power on button will work. It happens infrequently, but annoying. Anyone else have this happening? If so, do you have a remedy?
seattlecosmo is offline  
post #9186 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,318
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Price talk posts removed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #9187 of 9319 Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
seattlecosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony XBR 940 Running Out of Memory, Can I delete Some Apps?

Anyone know which of the many, many apps on this TV can be safely deleted? I have a few apps I added, but would like to add more. Unfortunately, the TV says it’s almost out of memory. When I go to settings, there are a bunch of apps I did not add, but I am afraid to disable if they are system apps. Is there a web site or Android assist site that identifies which of these apps can be safely disabled?
seattlecosmo is offline  
post #9188 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Look what just arrived!!!. The box exterior seems to be in great shape so hopefully everything's ok inside as well. Had it shipped to a relative in Buffalo. I live in Canada (Toronto, GTA) so now I just have to go collect it and pay the duties/taxes to bring it back. Can't wait!

My previous post was deleted, so I'll just paste what was relevant....


BTW... what did you do for warranty? I called Sony. They said that since the TV is purchased in the USA, it would not be covered for repairs in Canada.

So I bought an Asurion 4-year protection plan for $131. Asurion said they would cover warranty even in Canada. This means that while Sony won't help you out, Asurion will kick in and take care of issues for you. Asurion has repair stores that they are affiliated with, so they'd reimburse you the cost of the repair in cheque form after you pay for and settle the repair. Personally I like warranties where the repair agent gets paid directly by the manufacturer, but that wasn't the case here.


Asurion also said that if they continually have to keep doing repairs, then they will eventually just write you a cheque for the price you paid for the TV. Square Trade was slightly less favorable, and said they would pay cost of TV minus what they had sunk in repairs. That's why I didn't jump on the newegg deal. Same price TV, but Square Trade warranty.


So ultimately I decided to get the Asurion warranty. I thought that 131$ for 4-yr protection was worth it
WabbaJ is offline  
post #9189 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecosmo View Post
Anyone know which of the many, many apps on this TV can be safely deleted? I have a few apps I added, but would like to add more. Unfortunately, the TV says it’s almost out of memory. When I go to settings, there are a bunch of apps I did not add, but I am afraid to disable if they are system apps. Is there a web site or Android assist site that identifies which of these apps can be safely disabled?
This video will give you an idea of some internal apps you can delete. Along with some tricks to speed up the TV functionality. And if I remember correctly most critical system apps won't allow you to delete them.

Would you be willing to get an external set top box? Most on here (including myself) prefer them without question over using the internal apps and it would eliminate the space issue on the TV.

seattlecosmo and WabbaJ like this.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
tysonmax is offline  
post #9190 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecosmo View Post
Anyone know which of the many, many apps on this TV can be safely deleted? I have a few apps I added, but would like to add more. Unfortunately, the TV says it’️s almost out of memory. When I go to settings, there are a bunch of apps I did not add, but I am afraid to disable if they are system apps. Is there a web site or Android assist site that identifies which of these apps can be safely disabled?
This video will give you an idea of some internal apps you can delete. Along with some tricks to speed up the TV functionality. And if I remember correctly most critical system apps won't allow you to delete them.

Would you be willing to get an external set top box? Most on here (including myself) prefer them without question over using the internal apps and it would eliminate the space issue on the TV.

I 2nd that...I use an ATV4K for my streaming jobs. Eons ago, I was having serious issue w/ DV content on Netflix (ie Narcos Mexico). It looked horribly unwatchable, bitched about like Homer J Simpson, gave up DV completely, ...until I got the ATV4K - issues fixed pronto.

Get NVIDIA or ATV4K and you’ll be rocking
no_cure is offline  
post #9191 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
So only port 2/3 are 2.0a for 4k60hz, what are the other hdmi ports? 1.4? Will the other ports accept a 4k signal from say an apple tv or only 1080p? I have a apple 4k, 4k blueray player, receiver for ARC and an older xbox one. I have a splitter if needed but not sure what the hdmi 1/4 ports actually are or accept.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9192 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabbaJ View Post
My previous post was deleted, so I'll just paste what was relevant....


BTW... what did you do for warranty? I called Sony. They said that since the TV is purchased in the USA, it would not be covered for repairs in Canada.

So I bought an Asurion 4-year protection plan for $131. Asurion said they would cover warranty even in Canada. This means that while Sony won't help you out, Asurion will kick in and take care of issues for you. Asurion has repair stores that they are affiliated with, so they'd reimburse you the cost of the repair in cheque form after you pay for and settle the repair. Personally I like warranties where the repair agent gets paid directly by the manufacturer, but that wasn't the case here.


Asurion also said that if they continually have to keep doing repairs, then they will eventually just write you a cheque for the price you paid for the TV. Square Trade was slightly less favorable, and said they would pay cost of TV minus what they had sunk in repairs. That's why I didn't jump on the newegg deal. Same price TV, but Square Trade warranty.


So ultimately I decided to get the Asurion warranty. I thought that 131$ for 4-yr protection was worth it
Thanks, Wabbaj, I did respond to your message about the Asurion warranty last night but it, too, was deleted. I had not thought about getting a warranty until you mentioned it and I also did not know it could be so reasonably priced. I will definitely contact Asurion to purchase a Canadian Warranty. If you have a specific contact I could use, please let me know.



Best regards,

Rick
atabea is online now  
post #9193 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
So only port 2/3 are 2.0a for 4k60hz, what are the other hdmi ports? 1.4? Will the other ports accept a 4k signal from say an apple tv or only 1080p? I have a apple 4k, 4k blueray player, receiver for ARC and an older xbox one. I have a splitter if needed but not sure what the hdmi 1/4 ports actually are or accept.

Yes, they'll accept and output the 4K signal like ports 2 & 3, but the signal will be 30Hz (or 24p).

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
tysonmax is offline  
post #9194 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Thanks, Wabbaj, I did respond to your message about the Asurion warranty last night but it, too, was deleted. I had not thought about getting a warranty until you mentioned it and I also did not know it could be so reasonably priced. I will definitely contact Asurion to purchase a Canadian Warranty. If you have a specific contact I could use, please let me know.

Best regards,

Rick

The warranty is shown under the listing on Amazon.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
tysonmax is offline  
post #9195 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
So only port 2/3 are 2.0a for 4k60hz, what are the other hdmi ports? 1.4? Will the other ports accept a 4k signal from say an apple tv or only 1080p? I have a apple 4k, 4k blueray player, receiver for ARC and an older xbox one. I have a splitter if needed but not sure what the hdmi 1/4 ports actually are or accept.

Yes, they'll accept and output the 4K signal like ports 2 & 3, but the signal will be 30Hz (or 24p).
Sorry for so many questions can I view HDR content via Apple TV on hdmi 1/4 then? As far as I know 60hz is for PCs or gaming, I dont think Ive seen any 4k60hz content. I'm coming from an LG B6 that has all 4 ports can be 4k60hz and am hoping I can use all the ports on the tv instead of an HDMI splitter. I want to set it up as Xbox on HDMI 1, Denon (wont pass 4k) ARC HDMI 2, Samsung 4k Player HDMI 3 with enhanced on, and Apple tv 4k on HDMI 4 but I watch HDR/Dolby Vision content from netflix and amazon. If it will pass I can return the HDMI switcher I purchased.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by boosted330; 07-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.
boosted330 is offline  
post #9196 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
The warranty is shown under the listing on Amazon.
Hmm, so this is done through Amazon? gonna check it out.
atabea is online now  
post #9197 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Sorry for so many questions can I view HDR content via Apple TV on hdmi 1/4 then? As far as I know 60hz is for PCs or gaming, I dont think Ive seen any 4k60hz content. I'm coming from an LG B6 that has all 4 ports can be 4k60hz and am hoping I can use all the ports on the tv instead of an HDMI splitter. I want to set it up as Xbox on HDMI 1, Denon (wont pass 4k) ARC HDMI 2, Samsung 4k Player HDMI 3 with enhanced on, and Apple tv 4k on HDMI 4 but I watch HDR/Dolby Vision content from netflix and amazon. If it will pass I can return the HDMI switcher I purchased.

No unfortunately those 2 ports are HDMI 1.4, so no HDR, so you'll want to keep the HDMI splitter.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
tysonmax is offline  
post #9198 of 9319 Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Sorry for so many questions can I view HDR content via Apple TV on hdmi 1/4 then? As far as I know 60hz is for PCs or gaming, I dont think Ive seen any 4k60hz content. I'm coming from an LG B6 that has all 4 ports can be 4k60hz and am hoping I can use all the ports on the tv instead of an HDMI splitter. I want to set it up as Xbox on HDMI 1, Denon (wont pass 4k) ARC HDMI 2, Samsung 4k Player HDMI 3 with enhanced on, and Apple tv 4k on HDMI 4 but I watch HDR/Dolby Vision content from netflix and amazon. If it will pass I can return the HDMI switcher I purchased.

No unfortunately those 2 ports are HDMI 1.4, so no HDR, so you'll want to keep the HDMI splitter.
Ok awesome thank you for the info!

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9199 of 9319 Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Thanks, Wabbaj, I did respond to your message about the Asurion warranty last night but it, too, was deleted. I had not thought about getting a warranty until you mentioned it and I also did not know it could be so reasonably priced. I will definitely contact Asurion to purchase a Canadian Warranty. If you have a specific contact I could use, please let me know.



Best regards,

Rick

hey Rick


As Tyson said, you can find this under Amazon. When purchasing the TV, you can see options in the right sidebar to add warranty. That's where I found it.



I don't have a specific contact from Asurion, sorry about that. I would definitely recommend you contact them, just to see if the service rep gives you the same info that I received. In fact, I'll probably call them again also. If they give me different information and say they won't cover me in Canada, then I'll just return the warranty, since I'm still within 30days.



Wabba
WabbaJ is offline  
post #9200 of 9319 Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Tv came today and it was a white glove service, I wasn’t expecting that! They installed everything and made sure it turned on and all that good stuff. Wife and kids about to leave so I can play
tysonmax likes this.
boosted330 is offline  
post #9201 of 9319 Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 AM
 
imabel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
This model is still clearly one of the best, if not the best LCD Sony has ever released.


A retailer near me has a couple in stock and I'm seriously considering purchasing one.
MCaugusto and audiofan1 like this.
imabel is offline  
post #9202 of 9319 Old 07-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Watching 4k movies in hdr from my samsung player seem dim. Is there a setting I dont realize needs set? Brightness is maxed, local dimming high, all motion settings off, and all that, watching on cinema home, I have Eco turned off but maybe I’m missing something?

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9203 of 9319 Old 07-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Ok never mind. Changed the movie I was watching (Arrival) to Mad max fury road. The sand storm screen is unreal! So much more impactful than my B6 ever could be (obviously). Daytime viewing so far blows that TV away. The size will probably convert me for night time viewing too! Man even just a few minutes of watching and already can say this TV is a steal at this price! Uniformity seems very good, not going to go looking for problems with test screens but very little DSE but so far haven’t seen it other than loading screens, corners are a hair darker but again don’t notice on viewing in real world. Excited to see what this can do tonight for dark room viewing.

Motion is butter smooth too, my LG seems to stutter but maybe I prefer blur to faster OLED response time? Just flows.
MCaugusto likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by boosted330; 07-13-2019 at 12:34 PM.
boosted330 is offline  
post #9204 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Ok never mind. Changed the movie I was watching (Arrival) to Mad max fury road. The sand storm screen is unreal! So much more impactful than my B6 ever could be (obviously). Daytime viewing so far blows that TV away. The size will probably convert me for night time viewing too! Man even just a few minutes of watching and already can say this TV is a steal at this price! Uniformity seems very good, not going to go looking for problems with test screens but very little DSE but so far haven’t seen it other than loading screens, corners are a hair darker but again don’t notice on viewing in real world. Excited to see what this can do tonight for dark room viewing.

Motion is butter smooth too, my LG seems to stutter but maybe I prefer blur to faster OLED response time? Just flows.

Yeah, it depends on the movie sometimes. But I would also change one of the motion settings as follows...


Advanced Settings>Motion settings>Custom - Smoothness = 3 and Clearness = Min.


Anything higher than Minimum setting will introduce black frame insertion and slightly darken the image. You'll then need to adjust the brightness to compensate.
boosted330 likes this.

- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3
- Sony XBR-75x940E
- Oppo UDP-203 /
AppleTV4K
tysonmax is offline  
post #9205 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 253
^ An alternate opinion is Clearness = 1, and up the brightness to compensate. I prefer the motion better this way. Both are good settings, it's nice to have choices and be able to compensate for the BFR.
boosted330 likes this.

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
antennahead is offline  
post #9206 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Yeah, it depends on the movie sometimes. But I would also change one of the motion settings as follows...


Advanced Settings>Motion settings>Custom - Smoothness = 3 and Clearness = Min.


Anything higher than Minimum setting will introduce black frame insertion and slightly darken the image. You'll then need to adjust the brightness to compensate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
^ An alternate opinion is Clearness = 1, and up the brightness to compensate. I prefer the motion better this way. Both are good settings, it's nice to have choices and be able to compensate for the BFR.
I actually have motion just on True Cinema. Its the movie Arrival is must just be darker than I remember. One thing I found interesting is in pitch black viewing watching youtube 4k with some HDR videos of the TV store demos the blacks were ink black, and the brights were bright with zero blooming. However when I watched Revenant after, the black bars were blackish. I don't quite understand why the tv would have jet black blacks in HDR from other sources but that movie had near black bars. Its not distracting because of how large and enveloping the picture is and I really had to try to find bloom in the bars but it was minimal when I thought it would be pretty obvious. However I don’t know if the tv detects black bars and then doesn't shut off the zones behind them or what.

Overall Vs my 65” OLED this tv really looks amazing. Only flaws I see where OLED wins is view angle (duh) amd black bars in some content (also duh). But what really surprised me is how much I enjoy spectacular highlights of an LCD more than the deep blacks of my OLED. Also the shadow detail in Revenant is vastly improved over the B6 crushed blacks. Now whether seeing all that shadow detail is actually what it was suppose to look like or if the 940e just cant get darker is unknown to me but it looked amazing. Also having the visible screen still be 70” (I measured) with the black bars engaged is awesome. Bigger is my new reason to buy a TV over quality
MCaugusto likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9207 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Also whats best for local dimming? I know medium at minimum but should you ever use high? Does high effect anything negatively?

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9208 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Also whats best for local dimming? I know medium at minimum but should you ever use high? Does high effect anything negatively?
I used medium for a long time, then I saw where rtings and a few others recommended High to minimize any banding, as well as the zones showing, during horizontal panning scenes ...... so I upped it to High. It could just be a placebo effect, but I think it's less noticable now. YMMV
boosted330 and Cam1977 like this.

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
antennahead is offline  
post #9209 of 9319 Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I used medium for a long time, then I saw where rtings and a few others recommended High to minimize any banding, as well as the zones showing, during horizontal panning scenes ...... so I upped it to High. It could just be a placebo effect, but I think it's less noticable now. YMMV
I used high while watching Revenant and blooming was very minimal, I started watching the new UHD Blade Runner and saw a little blooming more so than Revenant, I’ll finish with it on high.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9210 of 9319 Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Plainfield NJ
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Remember that clearness must be off for HDR because HDR needs to control the maximum brightness. If clearness is on, you will not reach the max brightness required by the source. I suppose with a DVD player, you can offset this difference, I have never tried it. For SDR, I prefer Clearness on 2 with brightness set to 17 for a dark room.
[email protected] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off