*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 308 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8638Likes

post #9211 of 9299 Old 07-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
What does "black adjust" actually do? Blooming is extremely well controlled but the black bars are more dark grey then black during HDR movies from my UHD Player. I have been trying to researched this setting but not a whole lot about it. I don't notice the black bars not actually being black if I am focused on the content but coming from an OLED it does stick out, I'm not expecting miracles but I have seen the TV do better black off youtube videos and appears to only be from my UHD Movies.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9212 of 9299 Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Remember that clearness must be off for HDR because HDR needs to control the maximum brightness. If clearness is on, you will not reach the max brightness required by the source. I suppose with a DVD player, you can offset this difference, I have never tried it. For SDR, I prefer Clearness on 2 with brightness set to 17 for a dark room.
+1 And I was referring to SDR in my comments, which I assumed others were aware of ........ but you know what happens when you assume

I am using 17 as my brightness setting as well, but I have a "darkened" room, strategic lighting on dimmers, so I'm guessing my look with clearness on 1 is very similar to your setting in a dark room.

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
post #9213 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Updating to FW v6.6520 via USB?

Question for those that have successfully updated to the latest FW v6.6520 via USB. I have the WiFi issue whereby I can no longer connect to my router, and I think this release particularly address WiFi connectivity dropouts.

Connecting the TV via Ethernet won't provide with the latest FW, so I've downloaded if from https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016213 with the intent to perform the update via USB method.

However, there is a discrepancy between the byte sizes.

Sony says it should be 1,784,231,671 bytes
However, my downloaded version is 1,742,414 bytes.

I've downloaded it multiple times, via several computers, with same result. Trying to install the downloaded version won't work...the TV just reboots and retains the previous version.

So, has anyone been successful in installing FW v6.6520 via USB?
MCaugusto likes this.

Last edited by no_cure; 07-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9214 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Also, since I haven't seen any owners complaining about it, how prevalent is the 'dropped WiFi' issue? My TV does see all of the available WiFi networks, just refuses to connect to mine despite entering the correct credentials.

I should also note that, when I initially updated my TV to Android 8.0 Oreo version early this Spring, I was successful in connecting it to my WiFi router. However, since I use an ATV4k for streaming purposes, I never noticed that my WiFi connection dropped out until a few weeks ago...so not really sure when the WiFi connection went poo-poo.

Sidebar: only 1 of my 940E TV exhibits this WiFi issue (the original 940E which I bought last year). The one that I bought a couple weeks back works great...can't recall if both TVs are on same FW version though.
post #9215 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My TV is up and running!!!

I mounted it on my old 65inch mount. Had to make some adjustments and shift the mount, but with the bolts all in place and the TV secured to the brackets in six spots, I think we'll be fine.

This thing is really really nice. I see no defects, and won't go searching for them.

I did the software update, and it really helped with blooming. I watched an episode of Stranger Things last night, before and after the update, and the night scenes with subtitles were considerably improved.

I did it over WiFi though, no_cure. Good luck with it buddy, I'm sure you'll figure it out. What about buying a thin Ethernet cable from amazon for your updates? just unplug after if your wifi is otherwise usually good enough and you don't like the cable in the way.

I still have to calibrate the TV though.

BTW... anyone know any good media players to install on the TV? I use an external hard drive to watch media files via the USB port. Bladerunner in 4k seemed to work fine, but the built in player does not support some of the older BMVD files I have.

(PS: pics of TV in case someone browses the thread and wants to see what it looks like from 12ft with a medialight LED bias lighting)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	2591424   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	2591426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2591428   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	2591430  
tysonmax likes this.
post #9216 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Question for those that have successfully updated to the latest FW v6.6520 via USB. I have the WiFi issue whereby I can no longer connect to my router, and I think this release particularly address WiFi connectivity dropouts.

Connecting the TV via Ethernet won't provide with the latest FW, so I've downloaded if from https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016213 with the intent to perform the update via USB method.

I've downloaded it multiple times, via several computers, with same result. Trying to install the downloaded version won't work...the TV just reboots and retains the previous version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to send you a personal THANK YOU for posting the direct link from Sony for this latest firmware download.

I rather not do firmware updates using USB external storage and thus have been waiting for months for new updates for my 940E which has been running on Android 7.0, and, as i posted previously, somehow had lost the ability to display all system apps installed !

I figure that would be another reason to updated to Android 8.0 asap and was about to try the USB external storage route until i saw your post and the Sony link.
I went to the site and followed their recommendation to do this new firmware update by pressing "HELP" on remote control, then selected "SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE", then finally selected "AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD" (without the need for external USB storage !) and BINGO, i have just installed the newest firmware for my beloved 940E without a hitch.
Using direct ethernet "high speed" connection it took less than 1/2 hour to download the firmware update and have it installed, so i imagine that downloading it via WIFI would take considerably longer.

As expected, i regained full ability to access and see all apps installed in my set thanks to a full new software installation.
So, thank you once again, you saved me a lot of time, trouble and anxious expectations.
no_cure likes this.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #9217 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I really like the interface after the update as well. I'm glad I went ahead with it. The addition of Dolby Vision (even if some people say its a half-baked iteration) is great.
post #9218 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 375
USB update

I waited several months to do the update for the latest firmware update. When I tried to do it over my network following Sony’s instructions it always said I was on the current firmware which was incorrect. So I finally got fed up and decided to try a USB update. I don’t remember if the file sizes were the same, but following Sony’s instructions worked for me.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #9219 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Also, since I haven't seen any owners complaining about it, how prevalent is the 'dropped WiFi' issue? My TV does see all of the available WiFi networks, just refuses to connect to mine despite entering the correct credentials.

I should also note that, when I initially updated my TV to Android 8.0 Oreo version early this Spring, I was successful in connecting it to my WiFi router. However, since I use an ATV4k for streaming purposes, I never noticed that my WiFi connection dropped out until a few weeks ago...so not really sure when the WiFi connection went poo-poo.

Sidebar: only 1 of my 940E TV exhibits this WiFi issue (the original 940E which I bought last year). The one that I bought a couple weeks back works great...can't recall if both TVs are on same FW version though.
I'm having the same WiFi connectivity issues as well

Equipment: Sony XBR-X940E, Marantz AV-7702, Wyred4sound mAMPS , Oppo 103
post #9220 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WabbaJ View Post

I mounted it on my old 65inch mount. Had to make some adjustments and shift the mount, but with the bolts all in place and the TV secured to the brackets in six spots, I think we'll be fine.

This thing is really really nice. I see no defects, and won't go searching for them.
Super!!! Glad that you finally got it up and running - ENJOY this beast and be ready to gain some weight...staring at its luscious pictures.

Quote:
I did the software update, and it really helped with blooming. I watched an episode of Stranger Things last night, before and after the update, and the night scenes with subtitles were considerably improved.

I did it over WiFi though, no_cure. Good luck with it buddy, I'm sure you'll figure it out. What about buying a thin Ethernet cable from amazon for your updates? just unplug after if your wifi is otherwise usually good enough and you don't like the cable in the way.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not my problem. Since Sony rolls out the latest FW in waves, it hasn't pushed it to my TV yet, so the only way to update it is via USB method (I know, I've tested it via Ethernet, and apparently I'm up to date)..

But I know better...
post #9221 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I waited several months to do the update for the latest firmware update. When I tried to do it over my network following Sony’s instructions it always said I was on the current firmware which was incorrect. So I finally got fed up and decided to try a USB update. I don’t remember if the file sizes were the same, but following Sony’s instructions worked for me.
Thanks for chiming in @pappaduke !

I presume you downloaded the latest FW from the only official place (i.e. my Sony link above)? If so, then I can only suspect there is something wrong with Sony's files as clearly the file that I've downloaded is significantly smaller than what they outline.

Regardless, glad you got it working (just wondering how??)
post #9222 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I still have to calibrate the TV though
I'd start with https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post58256320
ht guy and WabbaJ like this.
post #9223 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not my problem. Since Sony rolls out the latest FW in waves, it hasn't pushed it to my TV yet, so the only way to update it is via USB method (I know, I've tested it via Ethernet, and apparently I'm up to date)..

But I know better...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But that is the problem : on the Android 7.0 installed on my set when i pressed the remote control for "Settings", then "About", then "System software update" then "Check for a software update and install it to your TV" and selecting that option the result was always the same with that message stating that you have the latest update installed, which is not always correct !

By going to the Sony link you provided and following the steps they recommend apparently you bypass that stupid message with its incorrect information and instead the download is done differently, automatically and directly from the support site.

So, apparently by selecting that choice on the support site for downloading new firmware updates you do not need the option of downloading it via USB external storage and instead have it done via ethernet connection.

Now, for people who are having problems with their WIFI connection, may i ask how far away is you set located from your WIFI router ? Would it be very difficult to install a direct ethernet cable between them even if just for temporary use for firmware updates ?
After all, an ethernet cable can be purchased at Amazon for less than $10 and wouldn't that save a lot of headaches ?

All i know is that i am so relieved i was able to do this Android 8.0 firmware update using the "standard" method of direct ethernet connection instead of having to use the USB external storage option.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #9224 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I did not update using USB this time but I always download the file anyway just to have an archive of all the available firmware versions. Your file is okay. If you are using Windows, compare the file size in file explorer and you should see the latter of your two examples - then right click on the file and check the properties and you should see the former number, the one you are looking for.
post #9225 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But that is the problem : on the Android 7.0 installed on my set when i pressed the remote control for "Settings", then "About", then "System software update" then "Check for a software update and install it to your TV" and selecting that option the result was always the same with that message stating that you have the latest update installed, which is not always correct !

By going to the Sony link you provided and following the steps they recommend apparently you bypass that stupid message with its incorrect information and instead the download is done differently, automatically and directly from the support site.

So, apparently by selecting that choice on the support site for downloading new firmware updates you do not need the option of downloading it via USB external storage and instead have it done via ethernet connection.
I appreciate your information - very informative. Thus, until your shared experience, my knowledge was that, if Sony hasn't pushed out the latest FW to your particular unit, there is no other way to update it (other than USB method).

It seems that the most common way to update your TV was by always performing the following (as long as it's connected to the internet via either WiFi or Ethernet) :

1. Press "Settings"
2. Hit "About", then
3. "System software update"

Your options are binary at that point: either the TV is up to date or it will download and update itself to the latest FW. In @MCaugusto and my case, that option resulted in the former.

So what you're saying is that, even if you get the 'your TV is up to date' message as per above, you can force the TV to download the latest FW by performing the following steps (enumerating here for others' benefits):

1. Make sure that you enabled the "Automatic software download' radio button
2. Connect your TV via an Ethernet cable
3. Press the [HELP] button on the remote
4. Select [System software update]
5. Select [Automatic software download]

Did I capture all that correctly? Regardless, I'll try to force the update the moment I get a chance. Over 1 year ago, I recall numerous threads where people expressed frustration that the 'system software update' option didn't result into anything when the DV feature was rolled out.

I assumed that if the most common way (the top bit) didn't result in a FW update, the only other option was the USB method.

Last edited by no_cure; 07-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #9226 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
I did not update using USB this time but I always download the file anyway just to have an archive of all the available firmware versions. Your file is okay. If you are using Windows, compare the file size in file explorer and you should see the latter of your two examples - then right click on the file and check the properties and you should see the former number, the one you are looking for.
Questions started to arise after trying to install via the USB method and all I got was a pleasant and polite TV reboot (tried to update twice). That's all.

That's when I started checking files sizes and all and saw the discrepancy...yes, I checked the file's properties, and files sizes AREN'T the same.

So maybe I've got the Wednesday's computer gremlins going on...lucky moi!
post #9227 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate your information - very informative. Thus, until your shared experience, my knowledge was that, if Sony hasn't pushed out the latest FW to your particular unit, there is no other way to update it (other than USB method).

It seems that the most common way to update your TV was by always performing the following (as long as it's connected to the internet via either WiFi or Ethernet) :

1. Press "Settings"
2. Hit "About", then
3. "System software update"

Your options are binary at that point: either the TV is up to date or it will download and update itself to the latest FW. In @MCaugusto and my case, that option resulted in the former.

So what you're saying is that, even if you get the 'your TV is up to date' message as per above, you can force the TV to download the latest FW by performing the following steps (enumerating here for others' benefits):

1. Make sure that you enabled the "Automatic software download' radio button
2. Connect your TV via an Ethernet cable
3. Press the [HELP] button on the remote
4. Select [System software update]
5. Select [Automatic software download]

Did I capture all that correctly? Regardless, I'll try to force the update the moment I get a chance. Over 1 year ago, I recall numerous threads where people expressed frustration that the 'system software update' option didn't result into anything when the DV feature was rolled out.

I assumed that if the most common way (the top bit) didn't result in a FW update, the only other option was the USB method.
================================

YES ! You captured that correctly. Apparently that is a forced update using direct or WIFI ethernet connection that bypasses the update available under "Settings" >>> "About" >>> "System software update".

At least that is what happened to my set when i followed the steps mentioned above and as recommended by the support site.
You do have to scroll down almost the entire information page of the support site to read about the steps described above.

Last edited by MCaugusto; 07-17-2019 at 06:56 AM.
post #9228 of 9299 Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Might just be me but what little DSE I had seems like its going away with more time on the set? Is that just my imagination or is that a real thing?

This TV beats my OLED for streaming TV. I use Directv now that is very good picture quality compared to cable but man the upscaling and picture clarity really blows away my B6. I dont know how much is the TV and how much is software but its a step above for sure.
MCaugusto likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by boosted330; 07-17-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #9229 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Questions started to arise after trying to install via the USB method and all I got was a pleasant and polite TV reboot (tried to update twice). That's all.

That's when I started checking files sizes and all and saw the discrepancy...yes, I checked the file's properties, and files sizes AREN'T the same.

So maybe I've got the Wednesday's computer gremlins going on...lucky moi!
FWIW, I've done all of my updates via USB, but I've never had any issue with there being a discrepancy between Sony's website and the actual download. And my 940E is connected via ethernet. Why go wireless if you can go wired? Gigabit is faster than Wi-Fi.
MCaugusto and WabbaJ like this.

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #9230 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:

(PS: pics of TV in case someone browses the thread and wants to see what it looks like from 12ft with a medialight LED bias lighting)
Great looking TV you got there - looks awesome, great job mounting it! I recognize some of those shots, I see you're taking full advantage of YouTube 8k/4k nature videos...
WabbaJ likes this.
post #9231 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Update:

I was successful in updating my TV to the latest FW update via Ethernet. I turned ON the "Automatic software download" function (culprit = it was OFF previously). Connected the Ethernet cable, check for updates...and voila. New FW found and TV installed it.

So lesson learnt here: make sure that "Automatic software download" function is turned ON before trying to check for an update. Otherwise, the TV may never find any FW updates...

Good to go now...although I still need to check to see if WiFi issue is fixed (didn't try to connect to my router yet).

Thanks to those who provided input - much obliged!
MCaugusto and WabbaJ like this.
post #9232 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
We will call that "collaborative effort toward the same purpose" !

You provided the link to the support site and i simply happened to scroll down the info page and, VOILA.

It is great to get validation that there is another way to do forced updates for Sony sets as i was getting sick and tired of waiting for automatic firmware downloads and reading that stupid & incorrect message stating "your set has the latest firmware already installed".

Now i am thinking of downloading the app "CalMAN for Bravia" for Sony models using Android 8.0 at the google play store, considering i own a reliable and widely respected calibration meter which has been sitting around for about 4 years now.

Last edited by MCaugusto; 07-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #9233 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post
FWIW, I've done all of my updates via USB, but I've never had any issue with there being a discrepancy between Sony's website and the actual download. And my 940E is connected via ethernet. Why go wireless if you can go wired? Gigabit is faster than Wi-Fi.
I would note that the ethernet connector on the 940e only supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX. It doesn’t really matter if you are running a gigabit network. I do connect via ethernet myself, but get roughly the same performance with an 802.11ac 5ghz WiFi connection.

Sony XBR-75X940E | Sony PS4 Pro
Oppo UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K
Klipsch HD Wireless 5.2
Google Fiber
post #9234 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisii View Post
I would note that the ethernet connector on the 940e only supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX. It doesn’t really matter if you are running a gigabit network. I do connect via ethernet myself, but get roughly the same performance with an 802.11ac 5ghz WiFi connection.
Your wi-fi may be similar speed (or even faster) but it doesn't suffer from packet collisions, obstacles between the TV and your router/access point, or other sorts of interference. My experience with wi-fi is that it isn't very reliable for activities such as streaming where dropped packets can impact the presentation.
MCaugusto and milesdavisii like this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #9235 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I have to say with owning this fantastic TV since March of last year I would think about picking up another TODAY at Amazon for 1/2 what I paid back then and just store it! But I have OLED in a 77" on my brain for maybe the end of the year of first part of next year.
My only dislike of this TV is only having 2 Full Bandwidth ports which just p**ses me off. My 75 X850C had all 4 with full bandwidth!!
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #9236 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have to say with owning this fantastic TV since March of last year I would think about picking up another TODAY at Amazon for 1/2 what I paid back then and just store it! But I have OLED in a 77" on my brain for maybe the end of the year of first part of next year.
My only dislike of this TV is only having 2 Full Bandwidth ports which just p**ses me off. My 75 X850C had all 4 with full bandwidth!!
Gerry
Same concern as you have but I fixed it by getting an HDfury Vertex 2. You get 4x inputs and 2x outputs (full bandwidth @ HDMI/HDCP2.x 600MHz of course capable of everything in existence today = 4K HDR/HLG/DV/LLDV/HDR10+ up to 18Gbps) plus a plethora of other features...

Lookee here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post58090386

or here https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-vertex2-18gbps/

I got a Vertex 2 and it drastically exceeded my expectations: SOLID product all throughout!
ggw2000 likes this.
post #9237 of 9299 Old 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Gerry

Yeah. As much as I LIKE my 940E there's just nothing but LOVE for my 77 C8. However, I must admit. Full screen HDR content (Aquaman, Justice League, Pacific Rim, & etc), the 940E does edge out my OLEDs. It's just too bad more content creators aren't making more full screen/IMAX movies.
MCaugusto, ggw2000 and ht guy like this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #9238 of 9299 Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

BTW... anyone know any good media players to install on the TV? I use an external hard drive to watch media files via the USB port. Bladerunner in 4k seemed to work fine, but the built in player does not support some of the older BMVD files I have.

Amazon fire stick with Kodi installed streams anything from my HTPC.
post #9239 of 9299 Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:

Have you tried the built in Kodi app? That's what I use to stream all my ripped content from a networked attached storage. The video app is terrible IMO.
WabbaJ likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #9240 of 9299 Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Since buying my 940E in March/18 it always had quite a bit of lean back to it. Way more than it should or necessary. Today I decided to make 2 pads for under the back two feet to correct the problem. I started with two 3/8" pieces but that brought it to a little more than past straight. Although it was still stable I decided to make a couple more at 1/4". That worked as it just very slightly leans back from straight..
I swear that the PQ looks even better now ... Placebo i'm sure but whatever works..
Gerry

ps: I see that it went back up 200 on Amazon. If I had more storage room I swear I would buy a backup instead of dreaming about a 77 OLED if it goes back down to where it was the other day...

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page