*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 315 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8721Likes

post #9421 of 9473 Old 11-17-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Use HDR on this set as DV is dimmer.. Use "custom" with Live Color on high and this set is very bright!! Have a ATV4K/Roku Ultra/ and a 2019 Shield TV Pro hooked up to mine through AVR. I have reviewed multiple scenarios across all devices and HDR with the above is the answer.
Gerry

Definitely going to disagree. DV has much better highlights and contrast compared to HDR10 in my opinion. The "overall" output does seem dimmer but, and this is the caveat I said, in a light controlled room the difference comes into play with the highlights and contrast. If I was watching streaming shows or movies with lights on I could see why DV would seem inferior. But for me, lights off, I'll take DV.

Also. I just tested Cinema Pro vs. Custom on HDR10 content and saw 0 difference. Plus I would never use Live Color...I'm not into adding unintended enhancement into the picture. To each their own though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 9473 Old 11-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Recently, my Disney+ app stopped transmitting in Dolby Vision, which is bizarre.
Dolby Vision was working up until yesterday. I noticed that the picture looked grainy and the colors looked off. I went to check, and sure enough. No HDR or Dolby Vision. Any ideas? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I also have an Apple TV 4K and Xbox One X, but as we all know, Dolby Vision looks best from the built-in apps of this set, due to external Dolby Vision sources looking dark and dull.
This seems to be a bug in the 1.1.4 build of the D+ app. My 930E does the same thing. And others using various Sony sets are reporting the same. I chatted with a support person for D+ (after a three frickin hour wait....) and they said they were escalating the issue to hopefully be solved in the next update. I would suggest more users of Sony TVs and Disney+ do the same so they have a number of complaints on the matter.
post #9423 of 9473 Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post
This seems to be a bug in the 1.1.4 build of the D+ app. My 930E does the same thing. And others using various Sony sets are reporting the same. I chatted with a support person for D+ (after a three frickin hour wait....) and they said they were escalating the issue to hopefully be solved in the next update. I would suggest more users of Sony TVs and Disney+ do the same so they have a number of complaints on the matter.
Thank you for the reply. I thought and hoped it was an issue on Disney's end, that way it'll be easier to fix. The app has no HDR whatsoever as of now, and the picture looks grainy and a bit off. When I downloaded the app day one, it looked fantastic. Now my PS4 Pro, there's no HDR or 4K in the Disney+ app.. Everything else, as far as other apps, are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9424 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Regarding HDR vs. LLDV ... I think that some of it boils down to preference vs. reference.

I recently watched "The King" (movie on Netflix) and See (series on ATV+ subscription) via ATV4k with range match ON, native resolution set to 4k HDR. Both of these titles are streamed in 4k DV, and switching back and forth between HDR and DV, I seem to prefer DV. While HDR is somewhat brighter, I find that the highlights, details and colours are somewhat crushed with HDR as compared with DV.

I liken this experience when the video feed is in 1080p in conjunction with Custom Picture mode on our 940 (I normally use Cinema Pro or Cinema Home for regular HD). Sure, the image is considerably brighter, but everything is over-exposed thus loosing all of the contour and details present. The silky blacks are gone, bleeding into grays...colours have lost their nuances.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make: in my experience, just because image is brighter, it doesn't mean it is 'better'. I always tend to adjust and mess about settings on my system (audio, video, power, etc.), but try to remind myself that when it comes to that perfect looking picture, there are more parameters than just brightness. So, given my recent tests, LLDV mode is back on my ATV4k and Sony 940E.

With all that in mind, knowing that NO television set is perfect for every picture mode, resolution and rendering technology, I am still amazed on how good my 940E is.
post #9425 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm still not sure where this significant difference between Custom vs. Cinema Pro comes from? I toggled between Custom and Cinema Pro on both 1080p and HDR content and literally no color, output, contrast, or other differences were apparent. Is it that people use a different color mode on Custom that causes the difference?
post #9426 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Definitely going to disagree. DV has much better highlights and contrast compared to HDR10 in my opinion. The "overall" output does seem dimmer but, and this is the caveat I said, in a light controlled room the difference comes into play with the highlights and contrast. If I was watching streaming shows or movies with lights on I could see why DV would seem inferior. But for me, lights off, I'll take DV.

Also. I just tested Cinema Pro vs. Custom on HDR10 content and saw 0 difference. Plus I would never use Live Color...I'm not into adding unintended enhancement into the picture. To each their own though.
I agree with your DV assessment, when performing extensive back-to-back DV vs. HDR, and taking into account all picture parameters, Dolby Vision is the better choice.

However, w.r.t. Live Colour and HDR...increasing this setting doesn't seem to overdo colour or any other visible setting in a bad way, but it does increase the peak brightness, especially going from Med-High. Probably you didn't notice any changes if your Live Colour was Off or Low.
post #9427 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
I agree with your DV assessment, when performing extensive back-to-back DV vs. HDR, and taking into account all picture parameters, Dolby Vision is the better choice.

However, w.r.t. Live Colour and HDR...increasing this setting doesn't seem to overdo colour or any other visible setting in a bad way, but it does increase the peak brightness, especially going from Med-High. Probably you didn't notice any changes if your Live Colour was Off or Low.

I toggled between Live Color and definitely dislike it, as it is more of a subjective taste and deviates, for me, away from content intent. I don't have my meter anymore, but taking color reads when I first had the TV and toggling confirmed that as well.

Even then, my point was, with all settings the same (including if you use Live Color or not), there appears to be no difference between Cinema Pro and Custom....that's what keeps confusing me when people say "Oh, Custom works better for HDR but is detrimental for 1080p". Not from what I am seeing?
post #9428 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi,

I'm looking to update my firmware to 6.6520 and noticed the following notes:

The following features will be removed after updating to this software:
PlayMemories Online
IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
Live Football mode function
Video (Home network) in the Content Bar
The 500px application / PMO in DUX
PlayStation Video app no longer pre-installed
You can still access the app by downloading it from the Google Play Store

I use the Video app that is currently listed under Apps.

I use the Video app to view some videos from my DLNA NAS server.

Can anybody running 6.6520 firmware confirm if the Video application is still available or can be downloaded?

If not is their an alternative application that can be used to stream video from a DLNA NAS?

Thanks.
post #9429 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I toggled between Live Color and definitely dislike it, as it is more of a subjective taste and deviates, for me, away from content intent. I don't have my meter anymore, but taking color reads when I first had the TV and toggling confirmed that as well.

Even then, my point was, with all settings the same (including if you use Live Color or not), there appears to be no difference between Cinema Pro and Custom....that's what keeps confusing me when people say "Oh, Custom works better for HDR but is detrimental for 1080p". Not from what I am seeing?
Well, there is a variance between each 940E set...but if I'm not mistaken, it seems that your TV is professionally calibrated? In my setup, Custom Picture mode doesn't work well with 1080p (over-exposure and saturation), but it's fantastic with HDR and High Live Colour (most definitely evident).

Also, can't recall ATM, but what is your video source (an external streamer like ATV4k, NVIDIA or UHD BD spinner)? I may be wrong, but when changing such parameters, the native streaming apps don't seem to have same impact in this regard as compared to the HDMI signals.
post #9430 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, there is a variance between each 940E set...but if I'm not mistaken, it seems that your TV is professionally calibrated? In my setup, Custom Picture mode doesn't work well with 1080p (over-exposure and saturation), but it's fantastic with HDR and High Live Colour (most definitely evident).

Also, can't recall ATM, but what is your video source (an external streamer like ATV4k, NVIDIA or UHD BD spinner)? I may be wrong, but when changing such parameters, the native streaming apps don't seem to have same impact in this regard as compared to the HDMI signals.

I used to have it calibrated by myself (Calman software and a Display Pro) when I first got it, but about a year ago I decided to stick with simple picture settings, so neither the 2-point or 10-point grayscale is touched anymore. Just using stock Expert 1 color mode.

High Live Color is definitely evident when in use and it definitely causes the over-exposure/saturation you are describing for non-HDR content. However, I do know that when I did color reads back when I calibrated that Live Color for HDR content caused over-saturation in terms of accuracy. It isn't as evident by naked eye, but for anyone nitpicking preference vs. reference....it is there.

I use external sources only, no native apps. So maybe that is what causes a difference? The native apps behave differently between picture settings?

I was more curious if people are switching to Custom and not touching any other settings which might have caused such a drastic difference between them comparing Cinema Pro and Custom. With all settings matched, for my HDMI inputs, they are the same.
post #9431 of 9473 Old 11-18-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For kicks, I did some more trialing of Live Color on HDR10 content. Not sure if it has been noted, but while High setting does indeed raise the nits output it also raises the overall brightness, including black level. It is not apparent in bright scenes with black colors (like somewhere wearing black in an outdoor scene) but if you put on a very dim scene and toggle between High and Off (or even Medium and Off), the entire black/dark scene is raised and losses very noticeable contrast. Verified on multiple dark scenes from both streaming (The Man in the High Castle) and UHD disc (Avengers Age of Ultron).

Basically, using Live Color on High is kind of similar to turning the Gamma up. You get more output, but for very low lit scenes, the blacks lose contrast and become raised. YMMV but if you haven't tested such scenes, I'd advise doing it to make sure you are OK with possible shadow and black level loss.
post #9432 of 9473 Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Thank you for the reply. I thought and hoped it was an issue on Disney's end, that way it'll be easier to fix. The app has no HDR whatsoever as of now, and the picture looks grainy and a bit off. When I downloaded the app day one, it looked fantastic. Now my PS4 Pro, there's no HDR or 4K in the Disney+ app.. Everything else, as far as other apps, are fine.
Kinda surprised when I read this. I signed up on day 2 after D+ release and messed around playing a few shows. I know then that Star Wars TFA was in fact engaging the DV when streaming with the tv app.
I just opened up the D+ app and checked the build. I too have version 1.1.4 of D+, however unlike your sets, DV is still getting triggered and engaging.
I did do a soft reset in the settings menu the other day. Netflix had hung up. Perhaps a soft reset on your end may prove effective to returning DV as playable.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300, BKA-1000 & -300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: (2x)M&K V-75's
ULF- Bk LFE(4x) & Advance + Aura shakers(2x) + Mini-riser BOSS(8x12" JBL's)
post #9433 of 9473 Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
Here is a summary of settings from this thread and a few other places. (No substitute for a pro calibration (thanks Chad!) but for the 940 owners who would like to try out some different settings.)
@ht guy it's been a while since I've looked at these, but did just now find the papers of settings I printed a year ago. I dont see any mention of others settings for Dolby Vision picture mode. Am I missing something? Or is there another document for suggested DV settings?

post #9434 of 9473 Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Kinda surprised when I read this. I signed up on day 2 after D+ release and messed around playing a few shows. I know then that Star Wars TFA was in fact engaging the DV when streaming with the tv app.
I just opened up the D+ app and checked the build. I too have version 1.1.4 of D+, however unlike your sets, DV is still getting triggered and engaging.
I did do a soft reset in the settings menu the other day. Netflix had hung up. Perhaps a soft reset on your end may prove effective to returning DV as playable.
Yes, they were able to solve the issue server side without issuing a client update. They also rolled back in the ability to resume playback or start over for films. Interesting that they are able to make these sorts of changes without the need to issue an app update. But yeah, immediately after the app updated to 1.1.4, these features were indeed broken. Luckily Disney worked, I'd say, pretty quickly to solve that problem.
Kevnmin likes this.
post #9435 of 9473 Old 11-21-2019, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Here is a summary of settings from this thread and a few other places. (No substitute for a pro calibration (thanks Chad!) but for the 940 owners who would like to try out some different settings.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
@ht guy it's been a while since I've looked at these, but did just now find the papers of settings I printed a year ago. I dont see any mention of others settings for Dolby Vision picture mode. Am I missing something? Or is there another document for suggested DV settings?
Hey @Kevnmin , no DV settings had been posted at that point (or since, that I am aware of.) fwiw, I had Chad calibrate my 940, and he did not bring up separate settings for DV. I'm far from expert on this topic, so will leave it to others as to what changes, if any, would be needed for DV vs HDR.
post #9436 of 9473 Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Hey @Kevnmin , no DV settings had been posted at that point (or since, that I am aware of.) fwiw, I had Chad calibrate my 940, and he did not bring up separate settings for DV. I'm far from expert on this topic, so will leave it to others as to what changes, if any, would be needed for DV vs HDR.
One could always play DV content and go into the "action" menu and write down the general settings and then post them as a starting point .
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #9437 of 9473 Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
** I accidentally posted this on 940D because for some reason I thought I had the 940D instead of the 940E

It's so sad this day has come, but my Sony 940E started showing a solid line (horizontally) about 2-or-so pixels thick, another thinner vertical line, and a bright green rectangle where the lines converge.
Not sure of the color of the lines - beige or a light grey. It does dim with the zones. Geek Squad came out to inspect it and (attempt) to repair it and told me it's a panel issue. Apparently the panel costs more than buying a new TV - so no repair work was done.

Any creative ideas on how I can resolve this.. or am I just out of luck? I paid so much for this TV just over two years ago and this line is SO annoying.

Update: I called Sony support for options, but they were less than helpful. I didn't bother to escalate or speak to a manager (maybe I should since I spent $5K+ for this television just a few years ago.. and it is only lightly used!). The Sony support rep referred me to 'Encompass' who sales parts for Sony TVs. I called Encompass and they no longer carry the 940E 75" panel.

Here is a YouTube video showing the issue:

Pictures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWl...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GpH...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GjG...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G_T...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H9d...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gvj...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gr9...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HNY...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HPf...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Accidental; 11-21-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #9438 of 9473 Old 11-21-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 358
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was exactly for reasons such as described above that i purchased my 940E locally at Best Buy and bought a 5-year Geek Squad warranty, even though it cost me a nice bundle.

I have full/total/complete warranty coverage that includes home pick-up for repairs and if it cannot be done at my home Geek Squad will show up for pick-up and repair at their facility station. If the repair cannot be done within one month due to unavailability of parts and such i will have the choice of the same set brand-new, and if the same set is not available, a full refund or trade-in for a similar set with the same price i paid for my 940E.

I am too old and in very poor health to be dealing with such vagaries of life and i am not sorry at all i spent so much money for that extra warranty, especially considering what i have been reading on all threads concerning problems with LCD/LED sets and OLED screens after a few months of usage.
oldcband likes this.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #9439 of 9473 Old 11-22-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I was reading this morning over in the A9G thread where someone said that they were going to give up on DV and only feed the TV HDR10 since the picture was too dim. One of the professional calibrators said to turn gamma up to max while playing DV material and give that a try.. Since settings are content related that the setting would stick for DV only. Going to give it a try later to see how it looks (I am using Cinema Pro as my base settings).
If anyone wants to give it a try and report back their findings that would be great..
Gerry
Kevnmin likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #9440 of 9473 Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 PM

DETAILED Picture Settings for Most Video Feeds

Hello everyone,

Given the latest posts regarding certain video settings, HDR this or DV that., Custom vs. Cinema Pro...I've made a detailed spreadsheet with ALL of my picture settings for a plethora of video type feeds.

I've detailed my picture settings not only given a certain resolution (1080p vs 4k) or colour meta data rendering formats (SDR, HDR, DV) but also tried to showcase my settings for different refresh rates, colour profiles and chromas as well.

Please see the attached. They work very well for me after months and months of tweaking every setting there is...YMMV, but this may be helpful.

Cheerio!

P.S. some have complained at times (myself included) that DV on this set seems too dim. I found that some DV feeds are better than others, akin to how some 1080p feeds are superior to others...my reference DV picture is Altered Carbon on Netflix (I've given my settings for this series), and it's simply SUPERB!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony XBR75940E_Picture Settings_ALL FEEDS_Nov 2019.pdf (412.2 KB, 42 views)
chanc, montana49kc and Kevnmin like this.
post #9441 of 9473 Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
One could always play DV content and go into the "action" menu and write down the general settings and then post them as a starting point .
Gerry
See post #9440
ggw2000 likes this.
post #9442 of 9473 Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 66
[QUOTE=Accidental;58853230]** I accidentally posted this on 940D because for some reason I thought I had the 940D instead of the 940E

It's so sad this day has come, but my Sony 940E started showing a solid line (horizontally) about 2-or-so pixels thick, another thinner vertical line, and a bright green rectangle where the lines converge.
Not sure of the color of the lines - beige or a light grey. It does dim with the zones. Geek Squad came out to inspect it and (attempt) to repair it and told me it's a panel issue. Apparently the panel costs more than buying a new TV - so no repair work was done.

Any creative ideas on how I can resolve this.. or am I just out of luck? I paid so much for this TV just over two years ago and this line is SO annoying.

Update: I called Sony support for options, but they were less than helpful. I didn't bother to escalate or speak to a manager (maybe I should since I spent $5K+ for this television just a few years ago.. and it is only lightly used!). The Sony support rep referred me to 'Encompass' who sales parts for Sony TVs. I called Encompass and they no longer carry the 940E 75" panel.

I would try warming the sides of the display with a hair drier. it may restore the connection. Seems simple enough to try. There was a youtube video showing it.
post #9443 of 9473 Old 11-23-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,
...I've made a detailed spreadsheet with ALL of my picture settings for a plethora of video type feeds.

I've detailed my picture settings not only given a certain resolution (1080p vs 4k) or colour meta data rendering formats (SDR, HDR, DV) but also tried to showcase my settings for different refresh rates, colour profiles and chromas as well.

...my reference DV picture is Altered Carbon on Netflix (I've given my settings for this series), and it's simply SUPERB!
I too think Altered Carbon is phenomenal! I've been using that to try to tweak the black adjust & black level. I'll give your DV settings a try to see if it'll improve what I've got now.

post #9444 of 9473 Old 11-25-2019, 04:36 PM

An update regarding Dolby Vision on our 940E tv sets: so far, my only Dolby Vision source has been ATV4k. Cue in my 1 yr old Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4k/HDR/DV UHD player for comparison's sake (that's Oppo 203's clone)

So this weekend I invested in a few DV bluray discs: Alita Battle Angel and Transformers The Last Knight. I haven't watched Alita, but Transformers in Dolby Vision looked absolutely freakingly stunning: all the colours were vivid and warm, the contrast superb, not a single problem with brightness, every little detail was extremely sharp and in focus - the visual (and audio) experience was a total joy to watch for sure! To date, this is my reference movie...the best I've seen (and heard) anywhere!

I have also noted something interesting on HDR10 bluray disc signals with Custom vs. Cinema Pro TV modes: initially my CXUHD didn't register that the bluray disc Transformers was DV encoded, so it started playing the movie in HDR10 format. Switching between TV modes Custom vs. Cinema Pro, I wasn't able to discern much, if any, difference. HDR10 experience on ATV4k is different altogether: I very much prefer Custom mode when watching HDR10 content, and there is a clear distinction between the 2 TV modes on streamed HDR10 content.

As another comparison data point...I also bought the HDR10 bluray disc version of the movie Shadow (a Chinese period movie). This movie is also on Netflix, but it's streamed in regular 1080p HD. This movie is purposefully shot almost black/white with very few colours to accentuate the scenes; my back to back comparison scene was early on in the movie where one of the main characters started to play the ruan or zither (ancient Chinese guitar or harp):

- Netflix version turned to be dull in colours and contrast. Blacks weren't really black, they were kind of grayish fading to black.... It wasn't dim per se, but it somewhat lacked vividness or brightness. I started watching it before I bought the HDR10 disc, and I thought it looked really good.
- But with the HDR10 bluray disc version - the contrast was immediately visible. Blacks in the movie simply dissipated against the actual TV bezel...just couldn't tell where the TV frame started. Despite the lack of colours, everything was so sharp that images almost leaped out of screen. It's like contrast was turned an extra 10 notches...

Also, and not really Sony 940E related, but the sound was also miles away better on the HDR10 bluray disc. The zither sounded like it was played INSIDE my theater room. Not so with the Netflix version...it was muted by comparison.

Moral of the story: Dolby Vision (and HDR10) on the Sony 940E TV sets simply shines, but it's very much dependent on its source! Streaming devices have limited bandwidth for both audio and video, and as good as the ATV4k is (arguably the premier streaming device for video) it's still constrained and is bound to show the weakness of such compressed technology. Nothing beats a top quality UHD player like Oppo 203, Panny UB9000 or Pioneer LX500, so I'll continue to invest in physical discs for the most elite home theater experience. As a matter of fact, I re-started my Netflix DVD service, because streaming doesn't really compete in quality (except in convenience).

Spending some time this weekend at Best Buy...not once did I get the urge to 'check out the latest TV panels' like I used to prior to my purchase. My 940E still rocks and gallantly competes with the latest models!

Last edited by no_cure; 11-26-2019 at 08:08 AM.
post #9445 of 9473 Old 11-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Has anyone used the latest Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc to calibrate and further tweak their TV sets?
post #9446 of 9473 Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaDrinker67 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to update my firmware to 6.6520 and noticed the following notes:

The following features will be removed after updating to this software:
PlayMemories Online
IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
Live Football mode function
Video (Home network) in the Content Bar
The 500px application / PMO in DUX
PlayStation Video app no longer pre-installed
You can still access the app by downloading it from the Google Play Store

I use the Video app that is currently listed under Apps.

I use the Video app to view some videos from my DLNA NAS server.

Can anybody running 6.6520 firmware confirm if the Video application is still available or can be downloaded?

If not is their an alternative application that can be used to stream video from a DLNA NAS?

Thanks.
Can anybody confirm this please?
post #9447 of 9473 Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Spending some time this weekend at Best Buy...not once did I get the urge to 'check out the latest TV panels' like I used to prior to my purchase. My 940E still rocks and gallantly competes with the latest models!
And no worries of burn in.

These are just my opinions.
post #9448 of 9473 Old 12-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok so please clarify this for me, I have an Oppo 205 would I be able get DV in the 940E? I read somewhere that that wasn’t possible
post #9449 of 9473 Old 12-02-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7244 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Ok so please clarify this for me, I have an Oppo 205 would I be able get DV in the 940E? I read somewhere that that wasn’t possible
Yes, if your Oppo is up to date on it's firmware you will get DV in your 940E.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #9450 of 9473 Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaDrinker67 View Post
Can anybody confirm this please?
The Video app is still there, but I don't use it so I can't confirm it's usability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page