*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8640Likes

post #91 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
Trust me, this thread will be filled with people that have issues with the 940e as will the next thread of the 940f when people are saying the 940e wasn't an upgrade to the d. LOL...The saga continues. They keep playing with LED tech to get it brighter and brighter for HDR and the brighter you get with an LED the more issues you will always have when it's a dark room. It's simply a limitation of the Tech. There is a thread for every high end set released and those threads are flooded with issues as well.
Haha, so true. Seems there's a "honeymoon" phase with every new model release and how it's so much better than the previous model.

Next phase will eventually bring owner complaints (clouding, DSE, banding, etc). Then rumors start appearing of what new tech is coming to 2018 models. Then around BF, price drops start happening (great time of year)!

Before we know it, it'll be time for CES 2018 and the cycle starts again. It's the circle of life for AV enthusiasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As with any internet enthusiast forum.... the members of said forum are actually a pretty small subset of the actual owners of the devices that the forum is dedicated to. So, when you're dealing with a small subset of the overall device population, and the enthusiasts in that subset are certainly going to be more picky and vocal about issues with the device, it tends to color the overall picture of the device. - the lions share of the general device population don't come to a web forum if they don't see any issues with their product.
ucsdsig likes this.
post #93 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Yipppeeeee!

940e by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten

Last edited by Kadath; 03-30-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
Congrats you lucky SOB!
Kadath likes this.
post #95 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
You should see my face right I am so darn angry. My delivery company (CEVA Logistics) said that they would be delivering my set between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. I took the day off work because they dont do delivery times after that.

Guess what! Called them at 1 p.m. to find what was happening so they give me this story about how he will be here at 2 p.m. Another call at 2 p.m. and now they tell me 5 p.m.

These butt holes could've just been honest with me or given me a time and I would've gone to work. Still had spare time to make it back but no they dont deliver after 1 p.m.

So angry right now been sitting in front of my X940C waiting for it to be swapped out.

Wait did I forget to mention I reset the tv to have my info logged out and all cables etc unplugged. Staring at a black screen for hours on my phone with nothing to do except wait on them. I could've done a ton of things in that window of time. Horrible company, should've known Sony would use a terrible company after their terrible customer support fiasco.

Last edited by edwinhernandez1986; 03-30-2017 at 02:20 PM.
post #96 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 72
940e all wired up...

I've got the 940e all setup, attached is a pic from the "The Reverant" (4K UHD HDR disc played on Oppo UHD-203). The pic itself isn't very good, but the black bars are pretty black from what I'm seeing.

Currently have it set for enhanced mode on ports 2 & 3, and am using the cinema pro setting. Got a lot of content viewing to do, liking it so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2058545  

Sony XBR-75X940E | Sony PS4 Pro
Oppo UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K
Klipsch HD Wireless 5.2
Google Fiber
post #97 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisii View Post
I've got the 940e all setup, attached is a pic from the "The Reverant" (4K UHD HDR disc played on Oppo UHD-203). The pic itself isn't very good, but the black bars are pretty black from what I'm seeing.

Currently have it set for enhanced mode on ports 2 & 3, and am using the cinema pro setting. Got a lot of content viewing to do, liking it so far!
Those are some blacks! Along with enough light and details in shadows. Impressive even for a pick.
milesdavisii likes this.

Spoiler!
post #98 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:

Nice!

Do you have a Time Stamp for that pic? The Revenant is one of the best UHD/HDR titles (IMHO). It looks fantastic on the 940D too and I would like to take a pic to show that the blacks (and shadow details) look awesome on the 940D when the source material is good.

Having said that, I do envy those of you who are purchasing the 940E. I would love to have Dolby Vision, more nits, and more local dimming zones, along with the better processor.

Enjoy your new display; you made a great choice!
milesdavisii likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #99 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First issue: different size bolts on the VESA mount than my Panasonic plasma. M6 for the record. Bought 20 and 25mm will let you know which I need after the 10mm spacer

Sam Posten
post #100 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

... ... As a fellow Sony Owner I like to congratulate you on your new display and I hope you enjoy many hours watching it ! If you or any other 940E Owners are not planning on calibrating the display or paying to have it calibrated then I offer these excellent calibration settings from the Z9D Owners Thread which should help out with settings for these high end Sony Displays which share much of the same technology ... courtesy of Fellow Sony Owner 10k ... Sony 65" z9d (HDR & SDR) . Enjoy !
milesdavisii and audiofan1 like this.

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #101 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Don't have that problem on my Z9D and I watch allot of sports including hockey. Also in the Z area on Avsform I don' see tons of people complaining about trailing etc.
My Z9D has trailing. Not as bad or as noticeable as on my 940D, but I can't pretend that it doesn't have it. If you want to see trailing in real content, simply download the Sony HDR demo 'Camp', and watch the paddles closely as they are canoeing on the lake. Even though the Z9D is not totally smear-free, I still much prefer it to the frame-skipping, stuttery/juddery motion that the LG OLEDs sometimes exhibit. The motion is buttery smooth and I can get 1080 lines of resolution, and Motionflow has less artifacts than TruMotion.

Nothing is perfect, mind you. Plasmas had excellent motion in many ways, but certainly not perfect. They exhibit phosphor trailing, and a slightly dirtier or noisier motion than LCD.

Very few if any complaints from Z9D owners when it comes to motion, even despite its trailing/smearing weakness, which only rarely manifest itself. There is always room for improvement.
George Weasley likes this.
post #102 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Don't have that problem on my Z9D and I watch allot of sports including hockey. Also in the Z area on Avsform I don' see tons of people complaining about trailing etc.
My Z9D has trailing. Not as bad or as noticeable as on my 940D, but I can't pretend that it doesn't have it. If you want to see trailing in real content, simply download the Sony HDR demo 'Camp', and watch the paddles closely as they are canoeing on the lake. Even though the Z9D is not totally smear-free, I still much prefer it to the frame-skipping, stuttery/juddery motion that the LG OLEDs sometimes exhibit. The motion is buttery smooth and I can get 1080 lines of resolution, and Motionflow has less artifacts than TruMotion.

Nothing is perfect, mind you. Plasmas had excellent motion in many ways, but certainly not perfect. They exhibit phosphor trailing, and a slightly dirtier or noisier motion than LCD.

Very few if any complaints from Z9D owners when it comes to motion, even despite its trailing/smearing weakness, which only rarely manifest itself. There is always room for improvement.
What I don't get is if it's on all 940d's, the Z series and apparently the new E-series (just not as bad) why is Sony sending me a brand-new 940d based on the ghosting issue. It's obviously a problem that they realize this TV shouldn't have or else they wouldn't have approved the new TV. I just purchased my D in February's and they really haven't had much time to play with it until recently. Once I noticed it in the YouTube app on that video I begin to notice it in other areas because I was looking for it. I call them send him some pictures and then immediately approved a brand-new set that's coming next week. So if the new one has it which I'm assuming it will what do I do then. Get a Buy back and go with the new oled. Idk, my previous Samsung JS 9500 was great I was just getting sick of the curve and I wanted something bigger. Definitely didn't have trailing issues. However the picture on the 940 D is definitely better, the blacks are incredible and my set has great uniformity. I just hate that ghosting because now I look for all the time I can't help it
post #103 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... ... As a fellow Sony Owner I like to congratulate you on your new display and I hope you enjoy many hours watching it ! If you or any other 940E Owners are not planning on calibrating the display or paying to have it calibrated then I offer these excellent calibration settings from the Z9D Owners Thread which should help out with settings for these high end Sony Displays which share much of the same technology ... courtesy of Fellow Sony Owner 10k ... Sony 65" z9d (HDR & SDR) . Enjoy !
Thanks, Im new to HDR, how do you calibrate HDR separate from standard viewing? Do I adjust it when viewing HDR content and it will stick as a separate setting?
post #104 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

I use the HDR Camp as one my go to Demo's for showing family/friends the TV and I have zero trailing on the demo on my Z9D. I love this demo plus the LG HDR demos. My Friend first 940D had the trailing on the demo until he got a replacement. MY dad's 940D has no problems with the trailing on the Camp Demo etc and also my 940D I had before.

Congrats to the new owners of the 940E.
post #105 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
You make it sound like ALL 940D displays have defects. You need to be called out on this for I've had my 940D since June and other than some occasional light-bleeding (which is NOT a defect) I haven't experienced any banding, clouding, trailing, horizontal lines, etc. If you visit the 940D thread you will see that there are MANY members, like me, that are more than satisfied with their display. Again, you need to be careful when you make such a dogmatic post. It is misleading and disingenuous.
My 940D does not have any banding/clouding/flashlighting either (as long as local dimming is engaged), but it does have trailing/smearing and darkened corners like all of them do. It also has some DSE like many LCD's do. I just think some are not sensitive to trailing and simply do not pick up on it, but they all have it. The video by Vincent Teoh from hdtvtest on the 930E showed very obvious darkened corners. I presume there is a good chance that the 940E will have issues with darkened corners as well. The Z9D is much better when it comes to darkened corners. Hardly any at all. Ever so slight if you stare at it very closely (different samples will vary), but not obvious in any way at all, like on the 940D, hence no one really complains about darkened corners on the Z9D owners thread, but plenty of complaints about it on the 940D thread.
post #106 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post
x940d can't be called an upgrade since

1. lesser zones
2. lesser nits
3. losing side speakers (this could go either way, aesthetically), it looks smaller (x940c is 79" wide)
4. less premium feel/build
5. it does not have newer technology

Don't get me wrong, picture wise, they are about the same. Sony made 940D much more affordable at release by removing speakers, zones and etc.(940C was like $9000).

Now 940E does have a better X1 Extreme processor with the promised new tech inside. Based on spec it should be better than 940c or 940d but inferior to the ZD9. Seeing the ZD9 in person, to me it is about 10% better than C or D with better brights and blacks but price jump is more than 50%. I'd rather wait until second gen Sony OLED next year for the upgrade. And once I seen a 75", no way I am going back to 65", you lose too much wow factor.
The blacks are deeper on the 940D compared to the 940C. Go read both hdtvtest reviews for the 940C and 940D models. Despite the 940D having 96 zones vs. 128 on the 940C, hdtvtest says (and measured) deeper blacks on the 940D.
post #107 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post
x940d can't be called an upgrade since

1. lesser zones
2. lesser nits
3. losing side speakers (this could go either way, aesthetically), it looks smaller (x940c is 79" wide)
4. less premium feel/build
5. it does not have newer technology

Don't get me wrong, picture wise, they are about the same. Sony made 940D much more affordable at release by removing speakers, zones and etc.(940C was like $9000).

Now 940E does have a better X1 Extreme processor with the promised new tech inside. Based on spec it should be better than 940c or 940d but inferior to the ZD9. Seeing the ZD9 in person, to me it is about 10% better than C or D with better brights and blacks but price jump is more than 50%. I'd rather wait until second gen Sony OLED next year for the upgrade. And once I seen a 75", no way I am going back to 65", you lose too much wow factor.
The blacks are deeper on the 940D compared to the 940C. Go read both hdtvtest reviews for the 940C and 940D models. Despite the 940D having 96 zones vs. 128 on the 940C, hdtvtest says (and measured) deeper blacks on the 940D.
They definitely are deeper than my previous 940c. I don't know how Sony does it with just 96 zones it's in their algorithm I guess. My previous Samsung JS 9500 had 150 zones and is nowhere near as good as the 940d neither was there 2016 model KS 9800.
post #108 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congrats! Like your hardwood floors too. First thing I would like to see from owners (who are so inclined) is a full white screen to see about the darkened corners.

Also, here is a link to a download of the Sony HDR demo 'Camping' or 'Camp'. One can watch the black paddles closely for smearing/trailing.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=144

Of course, I understand if owners don't want to go looking for flaws, and prefer not to run torture tests on their new toy.

Try the Wonderland and Chasing the Light HDR demos from Samsung on a USB stick plugged into the 940E. They should look pretty awesome

http://4kmedia.org/?s=samsung
Kadath likes this.
post #109 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My 940D does not have any banding/clouding/flashlighting either (as long as local dimming is engaged), but it does have trailing/smearing and darkened corners like all of them do. It also has some DSE like many LCD's do. I just think some are not sensitive to trailing and simply do not pick up on it, but they all have it. The video by Vincent Teoh from hdtvtest on the 930E showed very obvious darkened corners. I presume there is a good chance that the 940E will have issues with darkened corners as well. The Z9D is much better when it comes to darkened corners. Hardly any at all. Ever so slight if you stare at it very closely (different samples will vary), but not obvious in any way at all, like on the 940D, hence no one really complains about darkened corners on the Z9D owners thread, but plenty of complaints about it on the 940D thread.
You are right about the "darkened corners" on all 940D displays. I had forgotten about this when I said in an earlier post that my 940D was void of all "defects."

Having said that, I can honestly say that with live content (as opposed to an all-white screen or any screen that has only one light color) I simply do not notice the corners. Even if I concentrate on them they don't draw enough attention to distract me.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #110 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 80
[QUOTE=Kadath;51894633]Yipppeeeee!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath...72676/sizes/l/
Congrats nice kitchen and floor too.
Kadath likes this.
post #111 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

30mm M6 for those using universal mount with 10mm spacers. 2 trips to Home Depot

Looks great straight out of box. Will calibrate over weekend

940E Planet Earth by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Thanks for the nice words about my kitchen. Bit messy today but I -LOVE- my kitchen space and hardwood floors!

Sam Posten

Last edited by Kadath; 03-30-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #112 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought there was a Sony Ultraviolet app for this tv so we could see our redeemed 4k HDR codes directly on the set but I don't see it as a choice. Too early or am I confused?

Sam Posten
post #113 of 9335 Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Nice!

Do you have a Time Stamp for that pic? The Revenant is one of the best UHD/HDR titles (IMHO). It looks fantastic on the 940D too and I would like to take a pic to show that the blacks (and shadow details) look awesome on the 940D when the source material is good.

Having said that, I do envy those of you who are purchasing the 940E. I would love to have Dolby Vision, more nits, and more local dimming zones, along with the better processor.

Enjoy your new display; you made a great choice!
The time stamp is about 00:10:04 into the flix. I was floored by the detail and highlights on the 940e, it made the movie that much more engaging.

Sony XBR-75X940E | Sony PS4 Pro
Oppo UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K
Klipsch HD Wireless 5.2
Google Fiber
post #114 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
200+ zones on the 940e will prove to be quite effective once reviews start coming out. Yes more is better but diminishing returns start kicking in fast with zone counts.... No real reason for a z9 to even exist in any size imo with this kind of performance and price point on the 940e.
PExeter likes this.
post #115 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Does the screen on the 940E have the mirror like glossy finish of the 940D or is it semi-gloss similar to the Z9D screens?
post #116 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony SU-WL830 Wall Mount?

My 940E is in transit.

For those owners that have wall-mounted their 940Es using the Sony SU-WL830, can you share where you found it in stock?

I can't find it anywhere online.

Thanks!
post #117 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therberg View Post
Does the screen on the 940E have the mirror like glossy finish of the 940D or is it semi-gloss similar to the Z9D screens?
It is very glossy. I love everything about the TV so far, if I had to choose a con, I guess it would be the poor job of blocking light reflections. It definitely reflects more than my last LG..But I'm getting used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakender View Post
My 940E is in transit.

For those owners that have wall-mounted their 940Es using the Sony SU-WL830, can you share where you found it in stock?

I can't find it anywhere online.

Thanks!
Value Electronics, will ship fast straight from Tech Data distributor near you.
post #118 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The time stamp is about 00:10:04 into the flix. I was floored by the detail and highlights on the 940e, it made the movie that much more engaging.
Thanks! I'm leaving for the day but I will check that out tonight. I do plan to take a pic and post it.

post #119 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
It has a glossy screen for sure but somehow it seems less glossy than my X940C that had Gorilla Glass screen. That was a reflection monster but I still loved that tv.

I am starting to think the cross banding I got on my X940E might bother me some but I have yet to see it during panning shots or sports. But its quite obvious during gray screens. I am crossing my fingers that I never see it during normal viewing.
post #120 of 9335 Old 03-31-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
940E looks to be a real winner
Good thing they abandoned all their proprietary processing to include Dolby Vision, huh? I mean, it's a pity Dolby forced them to give that all up to take it all over in their special DV chips, isn't it? Though, this TV really should look just like every other DV display.

</sarcasm>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page