*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8719Likes

post #2311 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czickefoose View Post
Did you not feel that some scenes, like when they were hiding out in the cave, were washed out? Like were more grey on grey rather than having nice detail? It just seemed rather washed out to me in some scenes. Others were great but I thought that the blacks were more grey. Other UHD movies have been spot on. I know my black levels are good since the black bars are very black on my tv, but the blacks in the scenes on this movie were rather grey. Anyway, I got this movie expecting to have a great visual experience and was a little let down. Maybe I need to readdress my settings. Though like I said, it has been good on other movies...
It was kinda all over the place. 5th element presented better blacks throughout.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6848 Post(s)
Liked: 6845
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Oh yeah, this thing is buggy. Just finished a show and went to play the next and it crashed. Now watching the next episode and no audio drops.
When streaming I have all types of issues on all type's of devises at random time. Close window and restart usually does it. Worst case hard power off/on.
briar14 likes this.
post #2313 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czickefoose View Post
Did you not feel that some scenes, like when they were hiding out in the cave, were washed out? Like were more grey on grey rather than having nice detail? It just seemed rather washed out to me in some scenes. Others were great but I thought that the blacks were more grey. Other UHD movies have been spot on. I know my black levels are good since the black bars are very black on my tv, but the blacks in the scenes on this movie were rather grey. Anyway, I got this movie expecting to have a great visual experience and was a little let down. Maybe I need to readdress my settings. Though like I said, it has been good on other movies...
Quote:
It was kinda all over the place. 5th element presented better blacks throughout.
On some scenes yes while others were fine. Prometheus 4k had better blacks throughout but lacked the overall brightness of Covenant. Now whats a real shame is now I have to buy The Fifth Element yet again this makes what? 4 I was glad to hear it in Atmos but now will need it 4k as its been a long time fav and don't mind at all ! I use to always use it as an reference disc to check settings and pq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by navidf View Post
Do you have Local dimming on with those pictures? If so, then it is abnormal except for minor banding viewed from angled side.
If local dimming is off, turn them on, most banding goes away after that.
I'm not sure but I will check it out, although it's gonna be picked up soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #2315 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_ATL View Post
Sources coming through Denon avr-x4300h are washed out. Black bars are not black. Hdmi set to enhanced. Certified hdmi 2.2 running through all components. Single hdmi running out to tv on monitor out/arc to hdmi 3 arc on tv. What am I missing? Comparison pics below. Good picture is using native Netflix app.
Attachment 2270682Attachment 2270684

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've switched out the hdmi cables, run them direct to the tv using different hdmi inputs and the issue is the input. When I connect to hdmi 2 it looks good. When I connect to hdmi 3 (arc) it looks washed out. All settings are the same. Any suggestions or do I just have a faulty hdmi input?

post #2316 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I've switched out the hdmi cables, run them direct to the tv using different hdmi inputs and the issue is the input. When I connect to hdmi 2 it looks good. When I connect to hdmi 3 (arc) it looks washed out. All settings are the same. Any suggestions or do I just have a faulty hdmi input?

First to be sure to check and see if all settings and modes are identical, as one different setting could be a major difference in what your seeing.
post #2317 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
Quote:
Not the provider because I have ATT gigabit and have been streaming on a X800 for months without one issue. Its something with the app or the 940E's wifi. I have seen some devices play better with others depending on a router.

I could try connecting to the 2ghz radio instead of the 5ghz radio and see how it does.
Forget Sony's Wifi, its about as bad as it gets even though it's dual band. If you want a good consistent internet connection (and a great streaming experience you need Ethernet). If you don't want to run the cables from your router to the TV or other streaming device get a couple of these from Amazon so you can return them if you're not happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2083.JPG (1.53 MB, 105 views)

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2318 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Have had my 940 since Saturday. My set-up goes as follows.
Denon S 920W.
Ran my 2nd generation shield to my reciver.
My oppo 203 from the oppo to the reciver I could not get to work. Had to run the 203 directly to hdmi 2 on the TV.
Ran comcast to reciver.
Arc via reciver to ARC on TV.
I have 5.2 system.
The good.
HRD on the tv is amazing. Planet Earth 2 even my wife couldn't say enough good things. Mad Max fantastic.
I just left my oppo on auto since ultra high definition is well ultra high definition no need for upscaling? I did play the Dark Knight regular blu ray wow what a difference the player made upscaling. This week i will put my player on source direct and see if the 940 does a better job with the same DvD.
Use my shield for 1080 content upscales well. 4k on the shield not near as good looking as the 940 actually a big difference. So i just switch it on my shield.
Use shield for all my apps TV interface is to slow compared to shield. Amazon/Netflix run perfectly with 4k no issues. I will try tv apps tonight to see if there is issues. I have comcast 1 gigabite service all hardwired to my devices.
Used the Sony wall mount. Was simple install. Except TV is heavy as hell!
The bad... Not much so far
Thing reflects a lot. More than my Panasonic Viera VT. Oh well can live that.
I am a novice at this so I haven't messed with settings yet.
I will watch some sports this week and see how it goes.
Overall, The size and picture quality are amazing. Even the blacks look great.

. .
post #2319 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Forget Sony's Wifi, its about as bad as it gets even though it's dual band. If you want a good consistent internet connection (and a great streaming experience you need Ethernet). If you don't want to run the cables from your router to the TV or other streaming device get a couple of these from Amazon so you can return them if you're not happy.

I have found the Ethernet to be just as bad as the Wi-Fi on mine. Ethernet and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi both top out at 40 Mbps while 2.4 GHz tops out at 20 Mbps when all my other devices register in the 200-300 Mbps range on Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

post #2320 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post
I have found the Ethernet to be just as bad as the Wi-Fi on mine. Ethernet and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi both top out at 40 Mbps while 2.4 GHz tops out at 20 Mbps when all my other devices register in the 200-300 Mbps range on Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

I have a 200 Mbps connection from my provider (Spectrum) and I get ~40 Mbps at 2.4 g and under 10 megs with 5g (yeah I find that weird too). My powerline Ethernet delivers ~120 Mbps consistently and with no environmental interference. That's how I figured out how bad the wifi is on the Sony plus other forum members comments.

On my Shield I get 220 Mbps on 5g (never tried 2.4 g but I know it's limited to 54 Mbps so why waste my time) but I still use Ethernet because both Netflix and Amazon ramp up faster particularly with HDR content. Both apps detect if it's wired or wifi and seem to like wired better.
I think the two flaws to this TV are the Android TV MediaTek chip and the wifi network adapter they use. That's why I watch 95% on the Shield.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2321 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the two flaws to this TV are the Android TV MediaTek chip and the wifi network adapter they use. That's why I watch 95% on the Shield.

I agree. Those are both inexcusable issues on a TV in this price range. If it weren't for the size and great picture quality, I probably would have returned it for a 65" LG OLED.

post #2322 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post
I agree. Those are both inexcusable issues on a TV in this price range. If it weren't for the size and great picture quality, I probably would have returned it for a 65" LG OLED.

That's all that matters to me as its 95% of why i brought it! I'll admit to not having problems with my wifi setup as I've not yet experienced any hiccups, pixelation or dropped signals. As for the navigation system their is a work around posted which speeds things up to the point of instant.
post #2323 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
That's all that matters to me as its 95% of why i brought it! I'll admit to not having problems with my wifi setup as I've not yet experienced any hiccups, pixelation or dropped signals. As for the navigation system their is a work around posted which speeds things up to the point of instant.
You're right wrt to the picture being the biggest reason why we decided on this particular TV (and I'm very happy with that aspect of it) but to be honest I was shocked at how poor Sony's implementation of Android TV is. The workarounds do help a lot but it's still not anywhere near as reliable or stable or fast as a FireTV much less a higher end device such as the Shield. As for the wifi, I think I wasn't as disappointed because I read these forums and the salesman warned me that I wouldn't be happy with 4K HDR content from Netflix or Amazon with the Sony wifi adapter. He also warned me that it would probably be unacceptable for DV streaming due to the bandwidth requirements. Having said that there's no excuse for it being 8 or 9 times slower than my iPhone, FireTV, Shield and Apple TV. I think they cheaped out on that component. I'm glad I found the powerline Ethernet workaround as all is good now.
audiofan1 likes this.

Mike
post #2324 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right wrt to the picture being the biggest reason why we decided on this particular TV (and I'm very happy with that aspect of it) but to be honest I was shocked at how poor Sony's implementation of Android TV is. The workarounds do help a lot but it's still not anywhere near as reliable or stable or fast as a FireTV much less a higher end device such as the Shield. As for the wifi, I think I wasn't as disappointed because I read these forums and the salesman warned me that I wouldn't be happy with 4K HDR content from Netflix or Amazon with the Sony wifi adapter. He also warned me that it would probably be unacceptable for DV streaming due to the bandwidth requirements. Having said that there's no excuse for it being 8 or 9 times slower than my iPhone, FireTV, Shield and Apple TV. I think they cheaped out on that component. I'm glad I found the powerline Ethernet workaround as all is good now.
I have a powerline adapter ran to my Oppo 203 (though its time for an updated one) for music and downloaded video, I'll have to see down the line once I do look into DV & HDR for streaming but I'm mostly a disc guy for that, Have you or any others checked out Cosmos Laundry mat on Netflix?
post #2325 of 9473 Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Quote:
I have a powerline adapter ran to my Oppo 203 (though its time for an updated one) for music and downloaded video, I'll have to see down the line once I do look into DV & HDR for streaming but I'm mostly a disc guy for that, Have you or any others checked out Cosmos Laundry mat on Netflix?
Yeah, it's awesome! Watched it a few times and to demo the TV for friends.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #2326 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Yeah, I mean I know people like to stream with the display, but wifi and streaming are not going to make my display decisions. It is hilarious how the X800 can be such an excellent streamer, but the 940E has a few quirks.

Anywho, my Shield will be here today. That way if I elect Oppo 203, my streaming needs are covered.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #2327 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Sources coming through Denon avr-x4300h are washed out. Black bars are not black. Hdmi set to enhanced. Certified hdmi 2.2 running through all components. Single hdmi running out to tv on monitor out/arc to hdmi 3 arc on tv. What am I missing? Comparison pics below. Good picture is using native Netflix app.
Attachment 2270682Attachment 2270684

You could try to disable the X4300 scaler and not change the content that comes trough. Next it could be your other source.

My laptop has a totally differende black value. I had up Black level from 50 to 66 to eliminate the black crush. Still have to try to calibrate it better on the laptop side in the drivers but did not take the time to do that yet. Also try a different source like a Xbox or PS if you have it to see if that helps.

HT Setup: Sony 75X940E - Denon X4400W 5.2.4: - SVS Ultra Bookshelf (Front) - SVS Ultra Center - SVS Prime Bookshelf (surround) - 4x Jamo S622 (Height) - Dual SVS PC2000 Sub's
post #2328 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I have a 200 Mbps connection from my provider (Spectrum) and I get ~40 Mbps at 2.4 g and under 10 megs with 5g (yeah I find that weird too). My powerline Ethernet delivers ~120 Mbps consistently and with no environmental interference. That's how I figured out how bad the wifi is on the Sony plus other forum members comments.

On my Shield I get 220 Mbps on 5g (never tried 2.4 g but I know it's limited to 54 Mbps so why waste my time) but I still use Ethernet because both Netflix and Amazon ramp up faster particularly with HDR content. Both apps detect if it's wired or wifi and seem to like wired better.
Here I thought I was the only one with this wifi, ethernet issues. Incredible why in the world sony ever did this. I have comcast flash over 200 Mbps and sony is showing 15 Mbps with ethernet in Netflix

Sony XBR75X940E, Onkyo TX-RZ810, Klipsch speakers, SVS subwoofer, Tivo Roamio
post #2329 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post
Here I thought I was the only one with this wifi, ethernet issues. Incredible why in the world sony ever did this. I have comcast flash over 200 Mbps and sony is showing 15 Mbps with ethernet in Netflix
you shouldn't be having Ethernet issues. That works fine.

Mike
post #2330 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Ethernet is just as terrible as the Wi-Fi on this TV.

post #2331 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My router is a Netgear R7500v2 showing internet speed of above 210 Mbps download. When the Sony is connected to it and using Netflix check your connection, I got 15 Mbps. What did you get?

Netgear r7500v2 is a AC2400 router with mimo.

post #2332 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Like gadgetfreek, I just bought a Shield. We will see how that'll turn out.

post #2333 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My router is a Netgear R7500v2 showing internet speed of above 210 Mbps download. When the Sony is connected to it and using Netflix check your connection, I got 15 Mbps. What did you get?

Netgear r7500v2 is a AC2400 router with mimo.
I get 85-90 Mbps on Netflix's "check connection". Go to the Netflix web portal and verify under your account "Playback settings" that it's set to "high" (assuming you are paying for the 4K bandwidth).
You can also use the Opera browser and type in fast.com to test your download speed.

Mike
post #2334 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

I think that's just what Netflix is utilizing. I use Wifi and get around 70Mbps with testing. Despite that the Netflix app when being used(clicking info during a show ) usually never does above 16 and is displaying 4k

post #2335 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I get 85-90 Mbps on Netflix's "check connection". Go to the Netflix web portal and verify under your account "Playback settings" that it's set to "high" (assuming you are paying for the 4K bandwidth).
You can also use the Opera browser and type in fast.com to test your download speed.
My playback settings is Auto and I do have 4k and hdr account. If I set to high would that impacts other devices not having 4k and hdr?

post #2336 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie944 View Post
I think that's just what Netflix is utilizing. I use Wifi and get around 70Mbps with testing. Despite that the Netflix app when being used(clicking info during a show ) usually never does above 16 and is displaying 4k

You got to be right!!! There is no way my Netflix connection is only 15 Mbps all other devices wifi and ethernet showing much faster download speeds as tested.

Last edited by chanc; 08-22-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #2337 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie944 View Post

Netflix usually streams HDR content at 15.26 Mbps / 2160p at full ramp up. That's different than what your internet speed is. I'm pretty sure the problem with the Sony is a weak antenna because I have three MIMO devices sitting right next to the TV with internet speeds that are 8-10 times faster. Therefore if your wifi router is close to the TV you'll do better than me YMMV.

Mike
post #2338 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My playback settings is Auto and I do have 4k and hdr account. If I set to high would that impacts other devices not having 4k and hdr?
No, set it to "high" hit submit, save or whatever it says and wait a day for it to take effect. Let us know your "check connection" results tomorrow. The only reason not to do it is if your provider limits you or charges extra if you use more than some allotted amount of data. I have 3 TV's on the plan and they all work fine running concurrently. Good luck! I think you'll be happy.

Mike
post #2339 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, set it to "high" hit submit, save or whatever it says and wait a day for it to take effect. Let us know your "check connection" results tomorrow. The only reason not to do it is if your provider limits you or charges extra if you use more than some allotted amount of data. I have 3 TV's on the plan and they all work fine running concurrently. Good luck! I think you'll be happy.
Much appreciated. We will see tomorrow!!!

post #2340 of 9473 Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 PM

Just installed the Shield, and it works very well and ramps up quickly. I only use Amazon and Netflix and the apps are as expected, and the PQ is good.

Using my 5ghz radio on the gigabit modem, the Netflix app tested at 230mbps down, which is even higher than X800 does. It woks basically the same for those two apps, and you get Amazon HDR!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page