*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8767Likes

post #2551 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
But an over-the-shoulder look from behind the catcher's back, where you can see the batter's box, the pitcher, the middle infielders, and the centerfielder all in the same frame... or long pulled-back views from up high near the foul poles, showing a big swath of the field... there's just so many different "objects" (players) on the screen, at so many varying distances from the camera, a lot of those players/things don't look real "sharp" and in-focus.

To me, I think this makes logical sense (objects at varying distances not all coming into focus simultaneously). And I also believe the only difference between what I"m seeing on this 75" 4K set and every other TV I own is that the "delta" between a sharp in-focus closeup and a withdrawn out-of-focus shot is greater (because the close-ups look VERY sharp on this set), and also everything is being magnified to 75"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Direct PQ is better than most other providers which matters on a 75", plus I get 4K sports. Ill take that over the GUI any days.
In your experiences on DTV, do "wide" shots at sporting events, showing lots of athletes all at (widely) varying distances from the camera appear to be a little "soft" and "fuzzy", almost out of focus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Quote:
In your experiences on DTV, do "wide" shots at sporting events, showing lots of athletes all at (widely) varying distances from the camera appear to be a little "soft" and "fuzzy", almost out of focus?

Wide shots on Football for example, regardless of provider, tend to look more soft than the closer on field shots.
psuKinger likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #2553 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
But an over-the-shoulder look from behind the catcher's back, where you can see the batter's box, the pitcher, the middle infielders, and the centerfielder all in the same frame... or long pulled-back views from up high near the foul poles, showing a big swath of the field... there's just so many different "objects" (players) on the screen, at so many varying distances from the camera, a lot of those players/things don't look real "sharp" and in-focus.

To me, I think this makes logical sense (objects at varying distances not all coming into focus simultaneously). And I also believe the only difference between what I"m seeing on this 75" 4K set and every other TV I own is that the "delta" between a sharp in-focus closeup and a withdrawn out-of-focus shot is greater (because the close-ups look VERY sharp on this set), and also everything is being magnified to 75"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Direct PQ is better than most other providers which matters on a 75", plus I get 4K sports. Ill take that over the GUI any days.
I get that fuzzy effect a lot with hand movement. I don't k ow what it is about hands that this tv doesn't like but if you watch hand movement you'll see it. They'll look fuzzy. Unless there is something wrong with my setup.

7.2.4 Atmos Setup via a Yamaha a3050 receiver and two external amps: Emotiva 2 channel amp and a Parasound amp. Sony 940e for my TV. SVS Ultra 16 and SVS 13.5 for my subs. Klipsch for my LCR. JBL and Panasonic for my Surrounds. Focal for my on ceiling Atmos speakers. PS4 and Xbox One S for my consoles. Oppo 203 for my Blu Ray/UHD player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM

So I now realize that no matter what content is being played via my ps4 when I hit "display" on my 940e remote it say 3840x2160. I can be watching a very old movie on any streaming program and no matter what, it will say that. So is this a problem? Does that display button really indicate what resolution is being played or should I ignore it? Like I said before in another post, I've seen the action menu say hdr with Netflix when HDR is not part of the program being played. Maybe I have something set up wrong with my ps4 and 940e? It is plugged into a Yamaha a3050 but that is set to through. Thanks everyone for any help.

7.2.4 Atmos Setup via a Yamaha a3050 receiver and two external amps: Emotiva 2 channel amp and a Parasound amp. Sony 940e for my TV. SVS Ultra 16 and SVS 13.5 for my subs. Klipsch for my LCR. JBL and Panasonic for my Surrounds. Focal for my on ceiling Atmos speakers. PS4 and Xbox One S for my consoles. Oppo 203 for my Blu Ray/UHD player.
post #2555 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czickefoose View Post
So I now realize that no matter what content is being played via my ps4 when I hit "display" on my 940e remote it say 3840x2160. I can be watching a very old movie on any streaming program and no matter what, it will say that. So is this a problem? Does that display button really indicate what resolution is being played or should I ignore it? Like I said before in another post, I've seen the action menu say hdr with Netflix when HDR is not part of the program being played. Maybe I have something set up wrong with my ps4 and 940e? It is plugged into a Yamaha a3050 but that is set to through. Thanks everyone for any help.
Do you have the PS4 Pro? I believe it upscales content to 4K.

Sony XBR-75X940E | Sony PS4 Pro
Oppo UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K
Klipsch HD Wireless 5.2
Google Fiber
post #2556 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisii View Post
Quote:
Do you have the PS4 Pro? I believe it upscales content to 4K.
I have the pro. I noticed that when I put in 1080 and not "auto" under screen resolution it now showed 1080p rather than 4k when I hit display. So that is weird, then is there no source direct option? Seems like this would be why I'm having some picture quality issues with my streaming programs if it is always trying to upscale everything to 4k even though the content isn't 4k. Hmm... wonder why I've never noticed this before.

post #2557 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The 940E upscales everything to 4K also.
vtalon likes this.

Sony 940E / Sony X800 / DTV 4K / Denon / Klipsch
post #2558 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I first started watching the KC vs. NE game I noticed that. Just messing around, I put "Reality Creation" on auto, it helped a lot. I'll turn it off after the game.

post #2559 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I get that fuzzy effect a lot with hand movement. I don't k ow what it is about hands that this tv doesn't like but if you watch hand movement you'll see it. They'll look fuzzy. Unless there is something wrong with my setup.
That "fuzzy effect" you reference is actually in the source, not the TV's motion handling. When you notice it, go back, pause, and go frame by frame. You will find the blur in the frames. If it was a lack of motion handling there would be no blur in individual frames. I have found this many times, and in some instances where fuzziness is not noticed while watching fast action, it is present in some individual frames. Everyone always wants to blame the TV without considering it is most likely the source material.
post #2560 of 9591 Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Well hurricane has delayed my 940 replacing a1e. Gives me more time to debate on keeping the a1e

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
trying my luck with sony a1e after what feels like being in jail when I look at 2 lg c7's I've had. Jailbars you can see in movies and games isn't acceptable for this kind of money. LG calls it "normal" maybe sony won't with same panel.
post #2561 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
Well hurricane has delayed my 940 replacing a1e. Gives me more time to debate on keeping the a1e
I am also considering switching from an OLED (LG EF9500) to the 940 (or even 900). I am really unhappy with my LG's uniformity and handling of 24p from an HTPC source (soooo much judder). Why are you considering switching?
post #2562 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7271 Post(s)
Liked: 7300
post #2563 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ Adding 10" helps out too...
Ha. That's actually my angle of attack to convincing my wife to get on board the upgrade. I work from home and actually do all my work from my cozy couch and on the TV. But, true story, I am struggling to see finer fonts anymore on this 65" 4K screen, so the natural remedy to that is to go 75".
Mystaken and lucacow like this.
post #2564 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ Adding 10" helps out too...
If I could do that my wife would buy me any TV I wanted.
davehale and psinsyd like this.
post #2565 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHD AV View Post
That "fuzzy effect" you reference is actually in the source, not the TV's motion handling. When you notice it, go back, pause, and go frame by frame. You will find the blur in the frames. If it was a lack of motion handling there would be no blur in individual frames. I have found this many times, and in some instances where fuzziness is not noticed while watching fast action, it is present in some individual frames. Everyone always wants to blame the TV without considering it is most likely the source material.

That is true, I haven't tried doing that, but then again, since this is on a source that doesn't offer a frame by frame advancement, I can't do that. But I guess the only reason I figured it was the TV was because this is the first time I have ever noticed a TV have issues with hands. No TV I have ever owned has had issues with hands. This TV handles a lot of other motion really well, but body movement seems to have a lot of artifacts to me. But it is probably just me. It could also be because this is the largest TV I have ever owned and maybe I am seeing stuff I have never seen before because of that.

Last edited by Czickefoose; 09-08-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #2566 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just took delivery of the 940E yesterday. Coming from the 930D, this is an excellent upgrade. A problem I'm having is with DIRECTV losing the audio signal when I change the input at the receiver and then change it back. I have the DIRECTV mini client hooked directly to the tv (hdmi 4). The audio is being fed back to the reciever via ARC (hdmi 3). Any idea what might be going on? Also, is anyone else with directv able to run the 4k signal through the receiver successfully? I'm not able to make it work through my Denon receiver (AVR x2300w) a 2016 model. I get a message saying my tv isn't 4k compatible and it downgrades it to 1080p. I've had no issues with other components. I used to have dish network, and had no issues with their 4k feed going through the receiver. Everything has the latest update.
post #2567 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've been following this thread for a few months, and recently have been very close to ordering the 940E sight unseen- though decided to take the hour ride to the closest Best Buy that had it on display before making the purchase.

The "Sony area" had the 940E, Z9D, and A1E on display, all on the same 4k/HDR loop, and all looked fantastic. No noticeable motion blur, or trailing issues on the 940E that I've read about. Crisp, bright and clear. After a while of checking it out, one of the sales guys started chatting me up and asked what I usually watched for content. I told him mostly Comcast, Roku Streaming, and Xbox. At that point I was one step away from telling him to ring me up, until he took me over the the Magnolia area of the store that had a full wall of mixed high ends, showing a football game in 1080...

Unexpectedly, I didn't like what I was seeing.. Lost's of artifacts and grainy, almost looked like snow in the background. And choppy choppy choppy! Almost like stuttering, or quick pauses in between frames as they were running and throwing passes. Is this what would be considered 'Judder'? The Z9D on the same wall exhibited the same issues.

Surprisingly, the Samsung 75" (MU9000 I believe) on display directly above the 940E looked fine from the same source material.. clear and smooth. The LG's on the wall also looked fine. The sales guys (two at this point) admitted they saw the same thing, and didn't have much more to offer. They tried adjusting some of the settings, but didn't really seem like they knew what they were doing. Needless to say, I'd be pretty bummed trading out what I have now for what I saw, so I decided to pass while I do some more research.

Seeing all the positive reviews from the owners on here is leaving me confused... What am I missing here? Is there a special setting to turn on these model Sony's for standard HD that I could try at the store? I'm already set on taking a ride up again this weekend for another spin. I'm convinced that if everyone is living with what I saw there wouldn't be so many good reviews. Any help or info would be appreciated!
post #2568 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroharmony View Post
I've been following this thread for a few months, and recently have been very close to ordering the 940E sight unseen- though decided to take the hour ride to the closest Best Buy that had it on display before making the purchase.

The "Sony area" had the 940E, Z9D, and A1E on display, all on the same 4k/HDR loop, and all looked fantastic. No noticeable motion blur, or trailing issues on the 940E that I've read about. Crisp, bright and clear. After a while of checking it out, one of the sales guys started chatting me up and asked what I usually watched for content. I told him mostly Comcast, Roku Streaming, and Xbox. At that point I was one step away from telling him to ring me up, until he took me over the the Magnolia area of the store that had a full wall of mixed high ends, showing a football game in 1080...

Unexpectedly, I didn't like what I was seeing.. Lost's of artifacts and grainy, almost looked like snow in the background. And choppy choppy choppy! Almost like stuttering, or quick pauses in between frames as they were running and throwing passes. Is this what would be considered 'Judder'? The Z9D on the same wall exhibited the same issues.

Surprisingly, the Samsung 75" (MU9000 I believe) on display directly above the 940E looked fine from the same source material.. clear and smooth. The LG's on the wall also looked fine. The sales guys (two at this point) admitted they saw the same thing, and didn't have much more to offer. They tried adjusting some of the settings, but didn't really seem like they knew what they were doing. Needless to say, I'd be pretty bummed trading out what I have now for what I saw, so I decided to pass while I do some more research.

Seeing all the positive reviews from the owners on here is leaving me confused... What am I missing here? Is there a special setting to turn on these model Sony's for standard HD that I could try at the store? I'm already set on taking a ride up again this weekend for another spin. I'm convinced that if everyone is living with what I saw there wouldn't be so many good reviews. Any help or info would be appreciated!
OMG. I just cant get away from judder. Can ANY panel get rid of this? I heard the 900E handles it well and the 940E just totally ruins all the progress made.
post #2569 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

HMK71, I have the same receiver and have problems with DTV 4K. Mine would sometimes do the resolution thing but the main problem was that when I was watching a 4K recorded program, and then try and go back to the list, it would lock up and give me a snowy screen. I would have to restart it to get it working.

I ended up going from the mini client to the TV and using a digital coax to the Denon. That took care of the problems, but I still have a one and a half second delay when I start a paused program. My installer said it was normal(?). Hopefully they can fix all this with a software update, because everything else is good.

As far as judder, I don't see any watching football from 1080i or 4K.

post #2570 of 9591 Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Quote:

It's the Source as this display exhibits none of what you describe
post #2571 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Going through the exact same thing. I watch Directv 98% of the time and am very concerned about this issue as well. I would rather have almost everything look better and the rare 4k source stuff look really great vs compromising on what we watch most. I'm really confused about this as I was ready to pull the trigger on this TV last week.

Regarding the source or other variables, the above represents my experience exactly with the same source material through a matrix at the store. It just seems like the LG and Samsung did such a better job of upscaling and making the picture look at least as good as standard hi def but the Sony made it look worse.

You are not alone - I was hoping people would have suggestions here and there were a few posts with recommended settings so you may want to print those out and give them a try. I messed with the 940 at Best Buy for an hour last week but didn't really know what all of the settings did so I had no luck improving the picture to my satisfaction.

Hoping there is an easy solution to the artifacts and lack of sharp picture on standard hi def material.

Good luck and please post back if you find a magic bullet!
post #2572 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 345
So nobody got Sony to talk about the DV upgrade at CEDIA???

/boggle

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #2573 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaykAVS View Post
Going through the exact same thing. I watch Directv 98% of the time and am very concerned about this issue as well.
I wish you guys could come and see my 940. DTV looks as good as my old Panny 65VT50.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #2574 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaykAVS View Post
Quote:

Going through the exact same thing. I watch Directv 98% of the time and am very concerned about this issue as well. I would rather have almost everything look better and the rare 4k source stuff look really great vs compromising on what we watch most. I'm really confused about this as I was ready to pull the trigger on this TV last week.

Regarding the source or other variables, the above represents my experience exactly with the same source material through a matrix at the store. It just seems like the LG and Samsung did such a better job of upscaling and making the picture look at least as good as standard hi def but the Sony made it look worse.

You are not alone - I was hoping people would have suggestions here and there were a few posts with recommended settings so you may want to print those out and give them a try. I messed with the 940 at Best Buy for an hour last week but didn't really know what all of the settings did so I had no luck improving the picture to my satisfaction.

Hoping there is an easy solution to the artifacts and lack of sharp picture on standard hi def material.

Good luck and please post back if you find a magic bullet!
Well, no one else is chiming in but I will give it a shot. First, try just turning on Live Football Mode under the "action menu" that is located on the remote. Press it once and the action menu should come on. That may work straight off the bat. Anyway, you may want to make sure all kinds of picture enhancing crap is turned off. They may be helpful for movies, but not for sports watching. So turn the picture mode to something like cinema home (again, press action menu scroll down to picture menu and go the first option is picture mode, select cinema home). If you really want to test it out you might look through the comments here on the thread and find 10ks settings or go to Rtings.com settings and input their settings. One thing you want to make sure is under motion settings, and here's where I always forget what they are specifically called, but set it to custom and the first setting, set it to 3 or 2 and then the next setting, set it to 0 or 1. Under Cinemotion, set it to Low. As an alternative, you can set it to Standard all the way for motion, as I do, and that will help with a lot of fast moving stuff.

The biggest thing to remember is when you turn it on from the get go, they may have a bunch of settings turned on that are messing the picture up and not giving you the best experience. Or they may just have a bad TV too. Fact is, too many people have this TV and are not experiencing this issue so there just must be a setting issue somewhere that needs fixed. But yeah, make sure you look under the Clarity menu too, that's an important one to look at and make sure only smooth gradation is turned on to low, everything else should be at off. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't remember the names of the stuff under motion, I never can.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #2575 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 AM
CHG
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
So nobody got Sony to talk about the DV upgrade at CEDIA???

/boggle

I read on another forum that it has been pushed back until the end of the year.
post #2576 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I got the tv this week and love it so far. I feel like i have it dialed in nicely for Fios for movie/tv show viewing but still messing around for Football/Sports settings.

I watched quite a bit of football today/tonight and noticed that the daytime/sunny games were much fuzzier or less in focus it seemed and I couldn't get a great setting to adjust for this. The night time college games and NFL game last night have been fantastic looking. All of the up close shots were extremely sharp and impressive for both day or night games. I have not noticed too many motion issues but I am still playing around with the motion setting to see what works best on my set.

The native ESPN app seems to be better than the Fios broadcast, I am guessing because of less processing.

What is everyone's opinion on the Reality Creation setting? I seem to go back and forth on it but not sure if it is benefiting or hurting.
post #2577 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Got our KD 75X9400E (Australian model of your X940E) going yesterday and watched War Dogs last night and all I can say its EXCELLENT!!!.
Next week I will run Spears and Muncil disk on it to see how it goes on the Grey Scale test from 0 to 100. I will also test everything that I can do.
Thank God I got rid of the LG 86 SJ957T
audiofan1 likes this.

Main Room Sony KD-75X9400E Display, AMP. Yamaha RX-A3050. Front Mains, 2x Dali Concept 8. Klipsch Center, Surround and Rear Surrounds, 4X Dali Ikon 1. Ceiling 4X B&W CCM 382. Subs, 2x Kef C200 for the rear and 2X Kenwood SW-07HT for the fronts. Lounge Shakers, Dayton Audio SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 AST-2B-4 lounge Shakers. The other Tv room the Hecto live there the Hecto 100 inch Short throw projector,
post #2578 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The Only thing I noticed that I don't like is renaming the HDMI to what you want as it allows only 7 characters. Example Oppo UDP 203 HDMI 2 on the LG but the Sony I can only fit Oppo203 with no space in between Oppo and 203.
Sony Please fix this for me LOL.LOL.LOL.

Main Room Sony KD-75X9400E Display, AMP. Yamaha RX-A3050. Front Mains, 2x Dali Concept 8. Klipsch Center, Surround and Rear Surrounds, 4X Dali Ikon 1. Ceiling 4X B&W CCM 382. Subs, 2x Kef C200 for the rear and 2X Kenwood SW-07HT for the fronts. Lounge Shakers, Dayton Audio SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 AST-2B-4 lounge Shakers. The other Tv room the Hecto live there the Hecto 100 inch Short throw projector,
post #2579 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally got my 75" 940e hooked up. Damn this thing looks great. I have a 65" P65 vizio for comparison, and while that TV still looks great, you can really tell the difference in brightness on the Sony. The smaller bright areas can get so much brighter. It's crazy seeing shadows cast on my walls from moving objects on the TV. Freaks me out. If you need a movie with a lot of HDR goodness for testing out that FALD, Alien: Covenant was great.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #2580 of 9591 Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
I read on another forum that it has been pushed back until the end of the year.
Can you provide a link please?

Per Robert Zohn of Value Electronics Sony told him that it was complete and in testing...
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com.../#post-4524080

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page