AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Vizio Launches 2017 M-series and P-series XLED Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2824409-vizio-launches-2017-m-series-p-series-xled-displays.html)

imagic 04-25-2017 05:27 AM

Vizio Launches 2017 M-series and P-series XLED Displays

It's the war of the television technology acronyms! This morning, the number two flat panel display maker in North America announced that what its P-Series and M -series displays are now called XLED. The term may be new, but these are flat FALD (full-array, local dimming) LED-lit LCDs. Looks like OLED and QLED have some new acronymic competition!

So what does XLED really mean for viewers? I'll find out today; I'm headed to New York City for a Vizio press event. But here are a few points covered in this morning's press release:

The M-series is getting wide color gamut, which the company is calling Ultra Color Spectrum. Now, Vizio's mainstream line of TVs fully supports HDR in both Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats. This is great news for budget-minded videophiles. The company refers to this year of picture quality as XLED Plus.

If you step up to the P-series, you get what Vizio refers to as XLED Pro. The company promises greater contrast than ever, as well as increased color depth. The XHDR Pro local dimming system (featuring Xtreme Black Engine Pro) offers 128 local dimming zones.

Vizio continues to use Google Cast as the platform for its displays smart TV experience, in the form of Smartcast.

That's all for now. I'll have more info plus video and photos later today. Plus, I'll have coverage of the company's 2017 audio products.

Here's the link to my homepage post: https://www.avsforum.com/vizio-demos-...xled-displays/

Links:

Vizio 2017 M-series XLED Plus

Vizio 2017 P-series XLED Pro

dsertedsun 04-25-2017 05:42 AM

According to the tech specs on Vizio's site, the 2017 M doesn't have an HDMI 5 input like previous models that was used for low input lag gaming unless inputs 1 or 2-4 are for gaming. No 120hz either for PC gaming! I wonder if they will at least have lower input lag for HDR gaming compared the the 2016 M. It looks like this tv is not for pc gamers like the 2015 M. Still have my 2015 M and wanted to upgrade this year for HDR gaming and movies, but looks like i'm not.

aerodynamics 04-25-2017 05:54 AM

Looks like the P-series maxes out at 75"....very disappointing.

seggers 04-25-2017 05:58 AM

So the M Series link should actually be this I think:

https://www.vizio.com/m-series?utm_m...liate_id=43737

And nothing bigger than 75. As I have the 2015 80, why would I go smaller...

Seggers

Raven Crimson 04-25-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsertedsun (Post 52496409)
According to the tech specs on Vizio's site, the 2017 M doesn't have an HDMI 5 input like previous models that was used for low input lag gaming unless inputs 1 or 2-4 are for gaming. No 120hz either for PC gaming! I wonder if they will at least have lower input lag for HDR gaming compared the the 2016 M. It looks like this tv is not for pc gamers like the 2015 M. Still have my 2015 M and wanted to upgrade this year for HDR gaming and movies, but looks like i'm not.

IIRC, yesterday Vizio rep @Matt McRae confirmed in the P series thread that the 2017 P series is the same as last year's model but with a full fledged physical remote instead of a tablet, and the change to the matte bezel compared to the initial glossy metal used before.

balboarules 04-25-2017 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Crimson (Post 52496705)
IIRC, yesterday Vizio rep @Matt McRae confirmed in the P series thread that the 2017 P series is the same as last year's model but with a full fledged physical remote instead of a tablet, and the change to the matte bezel compared to the initial glossy metal used before.

Did last years have XLED Pro?

imagic 04-25-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

I don't have time to go read what Matt posts but I know he tweeted something similar months ago, and so I was just rolling with it. So in this case, if nothing changed, truly what we have is an acronym war.

Not surprised about the M-series getting WCG, that was the obvious move.

So... I left out most of the press release verbiage on the P-series because it makes performance claims. Makes it a bit tricky.

I'll be in Vizios NYC press event/showroom 2 hours from now.

Raven Crimson 04-25-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balboarules (Post 52496817)
Did last yerars have XLED Pro?

Yes. This is simply a branding of Vizio's version of FALD. They didn't have a name for it before. Honestly, it's good marketing for a very, very good implementation of FALD, something which most displays from the other manufacturers lack.

Here is in Matt's words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt McRae (Post 52491369)
Yes. We have just rebranded it to make sure people are aware of our investment in the technology. P Series is not changing for 2017 - just reconfiguring the bundle with a normal remote control since most people are now using their own mobile device with SmartCast.

mpgxsvcd 04-25-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seggers (Post 52496689)
So the M Series link should actually be this I think:

https://www.vizio.com/m-series?utm_m...liate_id=43737

And nothing bigger than 75. As I have the 2015 80, why would I go smaller...

Seggers

You should go smaller because HDR is actually worth losing the 5". I had the 2015 M80 and sold it in favor of the P75. It was completely the right choice. The 2015 M80 never worked properly with UHD Blu rays. The color differences alone are worth the upgrade even at the lost of size.

balboarules 04-25-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Crimson (Post 52496961)
Yes. This is simply a branding of Vizio's version of FALD. They didn't have a name for it before. Honestly, it's good marketing for a very, very good implementation of FALD, something which most displays from the other manufacturers lack.

Here is in Matt's words.

Doing a quick online search, looks like it will not only be a Best Buy this time. I was ready to pull the trigger on last years set, I am glad the dropped the tablet this year, after reading though the OLED thread I found myself not interested in that technology at this time, maybe one of these will do, any mention about the new HDR10+?

kleenex 04-25-2017 06:47 AM

What happen to the Tablet here?!?!? That was a great addition to the 2016 Vizio Home Theater Display and now they fully removed it?!?!?!?

bamagrad03 04-25-2017 06:55 AM

Have they addressed the brightness issue on the M? I'm guessing marketing materials wouldn't point that out because it's an admission that the 2016 M series was way too dim.

audacious nick 04-25-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleenex (Post 52497529)
What happen to the Tablet here?!?!? That was a great addition to the 2016 Vizio Home Theater Display and now they fully removed it?!?!?!?

Removed it to reduce cost and because you can use your smartphone or tablet to do the same function

Fernzilla88 04-25-2017 07:40 AM

Vizio's people are swearing up and down that nothing is changing, everything is the same. LOOK AT THE SHINY KEYS LOOK!

Only a new remote, and bezel.

And yet the price is bumping back to new release levels, a few specs "seem" a bit different and the power consumption is going up.

Doesn't seem to me like nothing has changed.

If that was the case, why not dole out new remotes with the new sets, get everyone's firmware up to date and call it a day?

Raven Crimson 04-25-2017 07:41 AM

Pretty much. I haven't even broken the seal on the tablet box because I just use my phone instead.

The power consumption specs are misleading, as I believe in full power use, last year has the same exact power consumption.

Again, same TV.

seggers 04-25-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd (Post 52497441)
You should go smaller because HDR is actually worth losing the 5". I had the 2015 M80 and sold it in favor of the P75. It was completely the right choice. The 2015 M80 never worked properly with UHD Blu rays. The color differences alone are worth the upgrade even at the lost of size.

In your world maybe... UHD BDs look pretty darn good on my 80 and no one has complained to me about the picture.

I'll wait to see what other suppliers are bringing in terms of WCG, DV and 80+.

Vizio seems to have exited stage left....

Seggers

Fernzilla88 04-25-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audacious nick (Post 52498697)
Removed it to reduce cost and because you can use your smartphone or tablet to do the same function

Reduce what cost?

The 2017 refresh "P" is coming out at the original price whereas the previous P is pretty much at a lower price everywhere else. (ex. p65 is 1400 at Coscto and best buy)

So they removed the tablet and the price shot back up?

ffactoryxx 04-25-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernzilla88 (Post 52499137)
Reduce what cost?

The 2017 refresh "P" is coming out at the original price whereas the previous P is pretty much at a lower price everywhere else. (ex. p65 is 1400 at Coscto and best buy)

So they removed the tablet and the price shot back up?

Yup

Raven Crimson 04-25-2017 07:53 AM

This is MSRP. Of course initial price of the new 'box' is gonna be full price, until the 2016 sets are sold out.

b0rnarian 04-25-2017 08:12 AM

Spoiler!

Would love to get some numbers on the P-Series Pro set. What's the Nits level these hit, Color space/volume percentages etc. I've never owned a Vizio before so not sure how much of an improvement this would be compared to my KS9800. Considering upgrading to a 75 DV set for cheap this year!

Fernzilla88 04-25-2017 08:47 AM

Does anyone know if previous owners are going to be given the option to buy the new remote?

Prozart 04-25-2017 08:54 AM

Nooooo. It appears that the 17 55" P also has an IPS panel going by Vizio's webpage. I hope that's inaccurate but I doubt it. :(:confused:

robre 04-25-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernzilla88 (Post 52500841)
Does anyone know if previous owners are going to be given the option to buy the new remote?

Being that Visio is giving the remote for free to Beta users, and all of us P owners will get firmware updates to add the features coming with the 2017 models (including the onscreen apps, per the Visio website), it make sense that they will be available to all, at least when that firmware comes out this summer. And even if you have to pay for it, it will probably be very inexpensive.

reallynotnick 04-25-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozart (Post 52501033)
Nooooo. It appears that the 17 55" P also has an IPS panel going by Vizio's webpage. I hope that's inaccurate but I doubt it. :(:confused:

Considering they are the same sets as 2016, I'm about 99% confident that is accurate.

viggs74 04-25-2017 09:24 AM

Surprised the LED Zones are dropping in half for the bigger M Series from 2016 to 2017......

EscapeVelocity 04-25-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

If this is true, Im all over it. (although I would have liked an ATSC tuner).

However it looks like the power consumption is way up. I think it will be brighter too. Which is good.

I do like the champagne brushed aluminum bezels from last year though.

EscapeVelocity 04-25-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamagrad03 (Post 52497801)
Have they addressed the brightness issue on the M? I'm guessing marketing materials wouldn't point that out because it's an admission that the 2016 M series was way too dim.

Both the P & M have increased power consumption from last year. So I think they both will be brighter than last year.

blu718 04-25-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity (Post 52502281)
If this is true, Im all over it. (although I would have liked an ATSC tuner).

However it looks like the power consumption is way up. I think it will be brighter too. Which is good.

I do like the champagne brushed aluminum bezels from last year though.

From what I was reading last night this is not true. the 2017 models I believe people were saying and Matt confirmed were showing max power consumption where the 2016 are labeled showing the average consumption. No change at all to the set.

To me just looks odd they would release the same set minus the tablet then up the price. You would think if it were a simple rerelease of the same model they would come in at a cheaper price.

eddysnake 04-25-2017 09:51 AM

comparing the older M (left) with the new M (middle) and the new P (right), does it appear that the new M series isn't as loaded as the previous?

http://i.imgur.com/eD68pIU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sb3XJSC.jpg

ray0414 04-25-2017 09:51 AM

Maybe Mark will show them how to put a Samsung TV into Hdr mode 😆

Those demo pictures going around are hilarious. Sure, they have black issues on the q7, but the colors are outstanding. According to Vizio, Samsung hdr TVs are so bad at hdr color they almost look black and white 😂