TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1218Likes

post #331 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Basically, if you push the TV to produce the brightest highlights possible (630 nits) it's necessary to use the brightest settings available. You can adjust the TV room brightness setting to get deeper blacks, but that caps highlights at lower peak luminance levels. There are practical limits to the dynamic contrast capabilities of this TV when watching HDR.

To me, the cool thing is it does HDR well, and SDR amazingly well.

Crucially, I have NOT watched any Dolby Vision content yet. For all I know, HDR performance with it will be better with dynamic metadata in the mix. All I've seen so far is HDR10 play on this TV.

I never saw banding. Turning FALD on darkens the image a bit, which helps the blacks.

Look, the top-tier HDR flagship LCD TVs that do 1000+ nit peaks and stuff definitely produce an HDR experience with more "pop" and so do OLEDs.

But, this TV comes close to much pricier TVs, and is worlds better than pseudo-HDR TVs that don't have the color gamut, or that can barely reach 1000 nits. I prefer that this TV knows its limits and does not try to do things that wind up being distracting (visible FALD machinations).
How would you say it compare to the vizio M series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Have not watched any yet. I'll check it out in the next few days.
I mainly watch NBA and some football. Try to watch the NBA Finals between the Warriors and the Cavs on Thurs and tell me how it go? lol.
post #333 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9165 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
I can't, I don't have a 2017 here to compare to, sorry.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
From what i seen and based on the test, I think it is better than both the P and M series from Vizio. Vizio M series add color gamut and brightness this year but it reduces the dimming zone from 64 to 32. And the P series remain unchanged. If anything, the TCL P series is AT LEAST is as good as the P series from Vizio. But here's the thing though, Vizio P series cost more and it's got terrible UI. I don't think I am going to be interested in casting everything to my TV. Sure they changed up this year and let you control the TV with a remote controller, but it doesn't look great. On the other hand, Roku got everything and just want you needed, all the 4K contents in one place; search everything through one ecosystem, ability to show LIVE TV and pause. But I guess you can also add a Roku or Fire TV to the Vizio TV. But that makes the remote controller and the TV's OS pointless.
post #335 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Did you mean to say the article in the first post of this thread? The one that was added today?
Did you see the date of the post you quoted me from?
My fault - sorry. I was having a bad day yesterday.
sheshechic likes this.
post #336 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Sure, I'll hook a PC up to it this weekend and see what options are available.
If you have a computer handy, maybe you can check if the set resolves [email protected] with full 4:4:4 precision. It's a long shot, but maybe also try some custom resolutions to check for [email protected] input support.

An SDR saturation sweep would also be helpful.
EscapeVelocity and theboomr like this.
post #337 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being outside the US, the TCL sets have always confused me in terms of just what TCL set's we're getting. The same ones, just with a different OS to the Roku ones?

I mean...here in Australia, they have just been launching the X2, the C2, and the P20. And as far as I can see none of those have Dolby Vision and I have no idea if any have the same panel as this one.
post #338 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
If you have a computer handy, maybe you can check if the set resolves [email protected] with full 4:4:4 precision. It's a long shot, but maybe also try some custom resolutions to check for [email protected] input support.
Yes, I ran a HDMI cable from my GTX 980-equipped PC to the TCL. I'll let you know tomorrow.
theboomr likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #339 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I love our Vizio P65, but there's no denying the value of the TCL based on numbers alone. I'll be looking to upgrade an old Sharp LCD in our bedroom later this year. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Aside from picture quality, anyone have any experience with TCL's customer service?
While I haven't used their customer service I have had a brand new TCL 40S305 that I have had for about 2 weeks. It sits next to me in my office on a filing cabinet and I sit about 3 feet away. The setup couldn't be easier and I understand the reasons most people say the Roku TV interface is the best on the market. Once you get your Roku account set up and some time moving (adding, deleting, moving) the apps you need to the correct place it is very easy to use. As for picture quality I use it (for now) for mostly sports (NHL, MLB) as I can keep up with a game while I get paperwork done. It doesn't have a lot of the normal calibration settings (I used the Rtings.com settings for this set) but the picture quality is very good especially at the price point - $269. I'll be happy to update as I go (and I pre-ordered one of the new TCL P-Series on Amazon) and I believe these TVs could be very disruptive for the market (and I pray it is so - not really wanting to spend $1,500 to $2,000 to get a high quality (not ready to spend the full $2K on the 55" LG B6 OLED)>
post #340 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

But, this TV comes close to much pricier TVs, and is worlds better than pseudo-HDR TVs that don't have the color gamut, or that can barely reach 1000 nits. I prefer that this TV knows its limits and does not try to do things that wind up being distracting (visible FALD machinations).
Exactly. I'm coming from an ST60 and it seems that I wouldn't be disappointed. Thank you.
theboomr likes this.

You can call me Sheila.
post #341 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq View Post
From what i seen and based on the test, I think it is better than both the P and M series from Vizio. Vizio M series add color gamut and brightness this year but it reduces the dimming zone from 64 to 32. And the P series remain unchanged. If anything, the TCL P series is AT LEAST is as good as the P series from Vizio. But here's the thing though, Vizio P series cost more and it's got terrible UI. I don't think I am going to be interested in casting everything to my TV. Sure they changed up this year and let you control the TV with a remote controller, but it doesn't look great. On the other hand, Roku got everything and just want you needed, all the 4K contents in one place; search everything through one ecosystem, ability to show LIVE TV and pause. But I guess you can also add a Roku or Fire TV to the Vizio TV. But that makes the remote controller and the TV's OS pointless.
Also, Vizio is a monitor, not a tv.
theboomr likes this.

You can call me Sheila.
post #342 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
TCL USA posted an answer to a question on Amazon and mentioned a really nice item:

"One cool feature is our "4K Spotlight" channel. In it, you can see what movies, shows, and clips are available in 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision from a number of streaming partners, all in one spot!"

Brilliant idea!

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #343 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
No number pad, the remote is the exact remote you get with a Roku.

I'm aware it has a Roku remote I was just saying it would be a nice feature to have actual number buttons to input your channel rather than I'm guessing having to flick through a guide to change channels. I have a Roku but never used one for live TV viewing. More than likely it will be used with a cable box or other external device.
post #344 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
I'm aware it has a Roku remote I was just saying it would be a nice feature to have actual number buttons to input your channel rather than I'm guessing having to flick through a guide to change channels. I have a Roku but never used one for live TV viewing. More than likely it will be used with a cable box or other external device.
Most people with roku's don't have cable tv, its the original cord cutter box. When you are receiving OTA like most people do on roku, the up/down buttons are more than sufficient for that number of channels.
post #345 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I'll set up the TV tuner tomorrow and see how channel switching works. Funny, that's just really not my first priority when it comes to a TV. I stream everything, cut the cord while ago.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #346 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
edit: BTW, the LG is still going strong, but at 42" and these old eyes... I need something bigger.
Yep. My LG is still going strong as well. Looking as good as the day I unboxed it. I think the LD series was a great bargain given the build quality and feature set for its time. I've only had to tweak the initial calibration just once in all these years. We will be moving in the next year or so so we'll just keep the LG as our primary tv (I have a Samsung bedroom and garage tv as well) until I see where the tv will go and then decide. Besides, I think its still a bit early for us to jump on the 4k HDR sets until I can determine on how I want to set it up, given the issues with high speed HDMI and cable length.
sheshechic likes this.
post #347 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I'm aware it has a Roku remote I was just saying it would be a nice feature to have actual number buttons to input your channel rather than I'm guessing having to flick through a guide to change channels. I have a Roku but never used one for live TV viewing. More than likely it will be used with a cable box or other external device
I had a 1080p Roku tv some years ago that I liked. The OS I preferred over LG's WebOS, and the tv remote is one of my favorite television remotes I've ever used. Actually, it is one feature of the TCL FALD set I like better than the ones used for the Sony A1E and the Sony Z9D. I also had a 1080p Vizio, which I hated the remote for that set. The remote for the LG C6 OLED I had, the remote for that while I like better, I still prefer the Roku remote. The only remote I like better than the Roku remote, is the Samsung QLED remote.
EscapeVelocity likes this.

Red Sun rising - Drown without inhaling
Within, the dark holds hard
Red Sun rising - Curtain falling
Higher than hope my cure lies

- Nightwish

Last edited by Arysyn; 05-27-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #348 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch

Though I don't care about roku tv or upscaling since everything runs through my PS4 pro, the only thing Im looking into is picture quality, and more brightness. I'd return the Vizio right now to trade with this one but i can't get a clear answer from tcl or amazon about delivery times, i don't want to be left without a tv all summer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hubert.J.Farnsworth; 05-27-2017 at 08:07 PM.
post #349 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just received notification of this thread today and catching up. I'm impressed and have pre-ordered from Amazon. Will be to replace a Sharp 46LE700UN in my bedroom. I bought the Aquos 6 1/2 years ago.
Dave
theboomr likes this.
post #350 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This would be great. Hovering around the vizio P50, but this looks really promising. Any info on getting this in Canada would be great.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #351 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 PM

I still would really like to know how this 2017 TCL compares with the 2016/2017 Vizio P-series regarding image quality.

- Nightwish
post #352 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arysyn View Post
I still would really like to know how this 2017 TCL compares with the 2016/2017 Vizio P-series regarding image quality.
Someone already posted a really in depth comment explaining a lot of comparisons between this TV and other popular brands just earlier today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
sheshechic and Arysyn like this.
post #353 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
TCL USA posted an answer to a question on Amazon and mentioned a really nice item:

"One cool feature is our "4K Spotlight" channel. In it, you can see what movies, shows, and clips are available in 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision from a number of streaming partners, all in one spot!"

Brilliant idea!
The 4k spotlight channel is on every Roku set.
theboomr likes this.

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
post #354 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Someone already posted a really in depth comment explaining a lot of comparisons between this TV and other popular brands just earlier today.

Do you know where, have a link to the comment, etc.

- Nightwish
post #355 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just scroll back through the thread man

post #356 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sigh. Was feeling extra nice tonight: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53256778

sheshechic and Arysyn like this.
post #357 of 1431 Old 05-27-2017, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@imagic

Did you perform your calibrations with FALD on or off? I wonder how that will affect gamma and general PQ.
On my M55-C2 it seems quite consistent, I calibrated it with FALD off, but with FALD enabled the gamma curve stays pretty much the same, but blue becomes a little bit more prominent in the white balance.
EscapeVelocity likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #358 of 1431 Old 05-28-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Sigh. Was feeling extra nice tonight: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53256778

Ah, I now know why that post didn't register in my mind specifically relating to my thinking, despite my already having read that post when I initially read through this thread.

Although, thank you for informing me about the post and sending the link connecting to it for me, theboomr. It was worth looking over and reading what it did contain relating to the TCL and the Vizio.

However, the post seemed more in relation to potential performance quality differences. Again, while this is helpful in its own way, I'm still wanting to know information regarding the direct physical in-person viewing observations of the televisions.

- Nightwish
post #359 of 1431 Old 05-28-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Basically, if you push the TV to produce the brightest highlights possible (630 nits) it's necessary to use the brightest settings available. You can adjust the TV room brightness setting to get deeper blacks, but that caps highlights at lower peak luminance levels. There are practical limits to the dynamic contrast capabilities of this TV when watching HDR.

To me, the cool thing is it does HDR well, and SDR amazingly well.

Crucially, I have NOT watched any Dolby Vision content yet. For all I know, HDR performance with it will be better with dynamic metadata in the mix. All I've seen so far is HDR10 play on this TV.

I never saw banding. Turning FALD on darkens the image a bit, which helps the blacks.

Look, the top-tier HDR flagship LCD TVs that do 1000+ nit peaks and stuff definitely produce an HDR experience with more "pop" and so do OLEDs.

I was able to snag a 2016 65" Samsung KS8000 for a couple hundred over a grand a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm on the fence, wondering if I should return it and wait for the $1000 65" TCL.

Any advice? I'm guessing I'd give up color, peak brightness, and motion performance for contrast and less blooming?
post #360 of 1431 Old 05-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
I was able to snag a 2016 65" Samsung KS8000 for a couple hundred over a grand a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm on the fence, wondering if I should return it and wait for the $1000 65" TCL.

Any advice? I'm guessing I'd give up color, peak brightness, and motion performance for contrast and less blooming?
Depends on how much the light control bothers you. You're not actually gaining contrast, either, so the only thing you are gaining is the light control.
You're giving up a lot for FALD, so if the light control doesn't bother you too much, it seems senseless to give up everything for it. If it does bother you, and you're willing to sacrifice everything in exchange for light control, do that.

Last edited by audacious nick; 05-28-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page