TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1218Likes

post #571 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
5 of the top 7 best selling tvs on Amazon are now TCL, including this one.
theboomr likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR

Last edited by teachsac; 06-01-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Retail Link Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Where are you seeing a spec for the nits of that TV?

That aside though, I believe TCL's various lines of televisions are region-specific, so the P series in Europe is not actually the same P series that we're getting in the US.
http://www.tcl.eu/en/products/uhd-p60-u49p6046

It's quite ridiculous, honestly. They're selling this model at a higher price and its specs are far worse than the P series in the USA...
post #573 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I don't think it's the same display. It comes with Android TV and doesn't seem to have Dolby Vision support. And it looks a little different. It's also a bit more pricey.
That's just from a really quick look without delving into much details.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 78
That kind of looks like a Samsung MU TV. Either way, really looking forward to the TCL P here
post #575 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
I don't think it's the same display. It comes with Android TV and doesn't seem to have Dolby Vision support. And it looks a little different. It's also a bit more pricey.
That's just from a really quick look without delving into much details.
I know it's not the same display, that much was obvious. But it's still called P60, which is deceiving...As a European customer, this is severely disappointing.
post #576 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@Alexious

I agree. It's interesting, but the form factor does look similar, but there is no mention of FALD.
I wonder if that brightness rating is in SDR and in some sort of Eco mode. It's possible that it's the same internals, but is running Android TV since Roku seems to be a US only thing. And it skipped DV.
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have FALD and is actually as bright as the spec says...

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #577 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexious View Post
Quote:
Where are you seeing a spec for the nits of that TV?

That aside though, I believe TCL's various lines of televisions are region-specific, so the P series in Europe is not actually the same P series that we're getting in the US.
http://www.tcl.eu/en/products/uhd-p60-u49p6046

It's quite ridiculous, honestly. They're selling this model at a higher price and its specs are far worse than the P series in the USA...
I asked TCL Poland about P60 series about a week ago. They replied, that P60 (US version) is dedicated for US market and they think that their naming scheme is not misleading...
Alexious and theboomr like this.
post #578 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Tonight, gonna buy Lego Batman Movie UHD (Dolby Vision) on Vudu. Gonna see what kind of color I can get out of this thing. $30=ouch but I suspect it'll make a great reference for streaming DV UHD. It's not some dull gray "real" Batman movie, lol.
Should test the NBA Finals tonight at 6pm.
post #579 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 3226
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
P-Series has local dimming, C-Series does not. Article states that the 65" local dimming model will be $999, but then later says TBD. I'm only slightly confused.

I'll just say this - big, cheap screen with integrated Roku (great!) and support for WCG, DV HDR? Yeah, this will likely be the TV I recommend to my parents and anyone else looking for a TV that "just works". Now if it also supports HLG, then it's about as good as one could expect. The picture quality and motion handling would have to be really terrible for me to not want one.

Any word about a tuner? They say it's a "TV", which implies that it does...
Put these Tv's on the shelf in Target, they will sell.
Built in 4k Roku and 55 inches, and TCL will probably be around for awhile (Service and parts). No expects perfection for 600 dollars but this looks to have great bang for the buck.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #580 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The only down side for me is that it's a Roku. I have PS Vue. I wish Sony and Roku would put together a guide. *sigh* It's really too bad that Amazon didn't build their own tv to compete with this one.

You can call me Sheila.
post #581 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
The only down side for me is that it's a Roku. I have PS Vue. I wish Sony and Roku would put together a guide. *sigh* It's really too bad that Amazon didn't build their own tv to compete with this one.
Actually Amazon is releasing their own TV with Fire OS built in. But specs wise it does not compete with this at all, really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #582 of 1431 Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually Amazon is releasing their own TV with Fire OS built in. But specs wise it does not compete with this at all, really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep, it releases on the 14th and I expect the TCL P to start shipping shortly after then.

You can call me Sheila.
post #583 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris194 View Post
I asked TCL Poland about P60 series about a week ago. They replied, that P60 (US version) is dedicated for US market and they think that their naming scheme is not misleading...
I just contacted TLC Europe's PR Manager about this (I work as a press member for a tech site). I'll let you know if I get a reply.
The Coolest, Kris194 and GiovanniM like this.

Last edited by Alexious; 06-02-2017 at 05:23 AM.
post #584 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Yep, it releases on the 14th and I expect the TCL P to start shipping shortly after then.
I'm slow to jump on conspiracy theory bandwagons, but there may be some truth to this. What follows could be just my imagination going wild so don't take it as gospel or insider info. It's not. It's just a theory and I'll provide a counter theory at the end.

TCL USA public relations is active in social media and has done a great job answering questions on the Amazon product page and on their youtube channel. However any recent inquiries about a ship date have been ignored altogether. Combine this with what we know about the release of the Amazon (co-branded) Element TVs and the ridiculous August-July ship date window and we have some traces of evidence that Amazon may indeed be purposely stalling shipments of the 55P607.

Why would TCL allow Amazon to do that? Because Amazon is three times the size of Walmart at this point. TCL also is aware how good their product offering is compared to what Amazon is bringing to market and they are aware of forums such as this one where consumers are anxiously waiting. TCL is making great profits off the 2017 S series already so would they be willing to allow Amazon to delay shipments for a few weeks off from their original target release date? Maybe. It's likely that Amazon has complete control over how long it takes them to process/handle an item before shipment and that the product vendor has no say in this whatsoever. In fact, this could have something to do with why we are seeing the 55P607 listed as available as a "buy now" and not a "pre-order' as others have pointed out. A pre-order purchase may restrict Amazon to a tighter controlled ship window in order to honor the product vendors desired target release.

If they were asked to do so and perhaps even given incentive to do so by Amazon I bet they would. Seems nominal impact to them. Those of us anxiously waiting on this set to arrive are the only real looser in this case and what are we really loosing? The anticipation of a new toy is always part of the fun. If this were going on I'd love to know about it just because it would make an interesting story in how Amazon is using it's virtual monopolisitic power to influence vendors because of fear that they made a huge mistake in leaving HDR and FALD support out of their 2017 Element Fire TVs

But here's why none of the above is likely happening.

US antitrust regulators would probably be very interested to know this sort of thing were going on. If TCL took offense and had some evidence they could create quite a storm for Amazon. For that reason this is probably not really happening. Amazon's only incentive would be delaying the inevitable. Eventually they have to deal with competitors offering a much better value for 2017 models and they will have to deal with that reality before the Holiday season and before Superbowl 2018 (the times of year TV sales are highest). So would Amazon take this kind of risk? Probably not. Even if the delayed shipment of a competitors product is within their legal right, Amazon could face some serious PR backlash and antitrust auditing if they were to engage in this sort of practice. I don't think they would risk that that for such a relatively small pay out.

I predict we'll see this TCL model leave the TCL warehouses on the original scheduled release date of June 5th and we'll see the first orders from Amazon shipping out to customers five to seven business days from that date. Factor in the 3-5 shipping window for Prime members and these should start arriving at doorsteps between the 14th and 19th of June. So basically mid-June, which is pretty much what's been advertised by TCL all along.
sheshechic, PAPAT and Arysyn like this.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-02-2017 at 06:17 AM.
post #585 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Is there any estimate on what the 50" will cost when it comes out? I want this TV for the bedroom, but the 55" is a little too big. It would fit, but would look a bit over the top for me.
post #586 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

You can watch ps cue through roku. I preferred it over my PS3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sheshechic and theboomr like this.
post #587 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
I predict we'll see this TCL model leave the TCL warehouses on the original scheduled release date of June 5th
I'm sorry, I've seen this before, but where is the source of this?
post #588 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norq79 View Post
You can watch ps cue through roku. I preferred it over my PS3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think his complaint was that you can't get channel guide data with Roku+Vue.
sheshechic likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #589 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
Is there any estimate on what the 50" will cost when it comes out? I want this TV for the bedroom, but the 55" is a little too big. It would fit, but would look a bit over the top for me.
According to this, $500. *Preliminary Price, subject to change, etc.
theboomr likes this.
post #590 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I think his complaint was that you can't get channel guide data with Roku+Vue.
As a Roku and Vue user, I can understand the gripe of not having a guide. I will say though that the PS3 is probably the worst hardware to use vue on due to it's connectivity/hardware limitations, especially on wifi. The PS4 and Roku are the 2 best IMO with the PS4 winning hands down. That's why, to me, this set is so appealing.
sheshechic likes this.
post #591 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
According to this, $500. *Preliminary Price, subject to change, etc.

Thanks. Tough choice here. Following this review/thread has made me want this TV asap, but the 50" really would be a much better fit.
post #592 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Thanks. Tough choice here. Following this review/thread has made me want this TV asap, but the 50" really would be a much better fit.
I was in the same boat. Had room for a 55 but wanted a 50 cause it would fit better. Simply couldn't wait till later in the year so I opted for the 55.
post #593 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
I'm slow to jump on conspiracy theory bandwagons, but there may be some truth to this. What follows could be just my imagination going wild so don't take it as gospel or insider info. It's not. It's just a theory and I'll provide a counter theory at the end.

TCL USA public relations is active in social media and has done a great job answering questions on the Amazon product page and on their youtube channel. However any recent inquiries about a ship date have been ignored altogether. Combine this with what we know about the release of the Amazon (co-branded) Element TVs and the ridiculous August-July ship date window and we have some traces of evidence that Amazon may indeed be purposely stalling shipments of the 55P607.

Why would TCL allow Amazon to do that? Because Amazon is three times the size of Walmart at this point. TCL also is aware how good their product offering is compared to what Amazon is bringing to market and they are aware of forums such as this one where consumers are anxiously waiting. TCL is making great profits off the 2017 S series already so would they be willing to allow Amazon to delay shipments for a few weeks off from their original target release date? Maybe. It's likely that Amazon has complete control over how long it takes them to process/handle an item before shipment and that the product vendor has no say in this whatsoever. In fact, this could have something to do with why we are seeing the 55P607 listed as available as a "buy now" and not a "pre-order' as others have pointed out. A pre-order purchase may restrict Amazon to a tighter controlled ship window in order to honor the product vendors desired target release.

If they were asked to do so and perhaps even given incentive to do so by Amazon I bet they would. Seems nominal impact to them. Those of us anxiously waiting on this set to arrive are the only real looser in this case and what are we really loosing? The anticipation of a new toy is always part of the fun. If this were going on I'd love to know about it just because it would make an interesting story in how Amazon is using it's virtual monopolisitic power to influence vendors because of fear that they made a huge mistake in leaving HDR and FALD support out of their 2017 Element Fire TVs

But here's why none of the above is likely happening.

US antitrust regulators would probably be very interested to know this sort of thing were going on. If TCL took offense and had some evidence they could create quite a storm for Amazon. For that reason this is probably not really happening. Amazon's only incentive would be delaying the inevitable. Eventually they have to deal with competitors offering a much better value for 2017 models and they will have to deal with that reality before the Holiday season and before Superbowl 2018 (the times of year TV sales are highest). So would Amazon take this kind of risk? Probably not. Even if the delayed shipment of a competitors product is within their legal right, Amazon could face some serious PR backlash and antitrust auditing if they were to engage in this sort of practice. I don't think they would risk that that for such a relatively small pay out.

I predict we'll see this TCL model leave the TCL warehouses on the original scheduled release date of June 5th and we'll see the first orders from Amazon shipping out to customers five to seven business days from that date. Factor in the 3-5 shipping window for Prime members and these should start arriving at doorsteps between the 14th and 19th of June. So basically mid-June, which is pretty much what's been advertised by TCL all along.

Right. However, it's not like things such as this (and other frisky skirting the edge violations) don't go on all the time... even at Bestbuy. It's all about how it's done. No ship/availability date has been announced. Perhaps TCL is paying Amazon for storage until TCL is ready and that "ship/availability date" is announced.

You can call me Sheila.
post #594 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No such thing as "too big" or "over the top."

Besides... they shrink.

You can call me Sheila.
post #595 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No disrespect to anyone here, but when I went to preorder the FALD TCL, Amazon gave a shipping date of August, which is far too long a wait for me. Had it listed availability in June, as many here seem to expect shipping to be done, then I would have ordered it. However, since Amazon lists August for it, I decided instead that I'll get the 2017 55-inch Vizio P Series when it gets to Walmart, Sam's Club, and/or Costco.

Red Sun rising - Drown without inhaling
Within, the dark holds hard
Red Sun rising - Curtain falling
Higher than hope my cure lies

- Nightwish
post #596 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9163 Post(s)
Liked: 16160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arysyn View Post
No disrespect to anyone here, but when I went to preorder the FALD TCL, Amazon gave a shipping date of August, which is far too long a wait for me. Had it listed availability in June, as many here seem to expect shipping to be done, then I would have ordered it. However, since Amazon lists August for it, I decided instead that I'll get the 2017 55-inch Vizio P Series when it gets to Walmart, Sam's Club, and/or Costco.
No worries at all. It's been discussed numerous times that the Amazon estimated shipping date is inaccurate. But, there are so many comments in this thread that finding those discussions is challenging. By the way, did you know there is no such thing as a 2017 Vizio P series, it's exactly the same as the 2016 model. Exactly. The. Same. No reason to wait if that's what you decided on.
theboomr and Arysyn like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-02-2017 at 01:13 PM.
post #597 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I was in the same boat. Had room for a 55 but wanted a 50 cause it would fit better. Simply couldn't wait till later in the year so I opted for the 55.
I'm very close to doing the same.
post #598 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I tweeted TCL US and they concur mid June shipping. Giving them benefit of doubt for 2+ weeks and I expect TV in to be shipped by June end. Common anticipation is everything!.
sheshechic, theboomr and Arysyn like this.
post #599 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As @imagic said, if you're going with a Vizio P Series then find a 2016 one somewhere if you can. It's only $950 for the 55" at costco.com, and they've got their 90 day return policy and doubled manufacturer warranty.

That said, The 55" Vizio P Series is an IPS display which means aside from a slightly better color volume and better viewing angles, it's going to perform worse than any of the other Vizio P Series sizes, which means honestly it probably performs worse than this TCL as well, for a higher price.
Arysyn likes this.
post #600 of 1431 Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

BTW everyone, I found an article that specifically states a June 5 release date: http://4k.com/news/here-comes-tcls-2...-others-19665/

I don't know if their info is accurate but it is what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page