TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1218Likes

post #691 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@Alexious

May I ask where you are from?
I'm from Israel, and I'm thinking about replacing my M55-C2 with either this TCL or the 2017 Vizio M series.
I have ordered 2 TVs from the USA directly, and I think that the international outlet of target probably offers the best prices when you include shipping and import duties.
They have the new M series, and I'm waiting for reviews of it and maybe some more reviews of the TCL P series as well. I was set on the Vizio before I read imagic's preview\review of this set. It's very impressive, and I think it's going to be worth ordering from the USA. The only downside is that you'll need an AC step down transformer (I already have those for my Vizios).

@imagic

I read in that other review that the white balance controls for HDR and SDR are shared.
My Vizio has 3 separate white balance and CMS controls, one for SDR, one for HDR10 and one for DV.
Could you confirm that the TCL only has a single calibration control which has to work with all formats or was the review incorrect?
Yes, the settings are shared. Leave CMS alone, nail the white balance, and enjoy the results. Would mode-specific settings be better? Sure. But the degree of correction the global calibration affords is more than good enough.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Just kinda curious why 120hz is a dealbreaker. You know most content on the market tops out at 60hz right? And most stuff is way less than that. I love fast panels as a PC gamer, (i have a 165hz gsync monitor) but i really see no need for a tv to have it.
I know I in the minority but I like the smoothness that is provided by 120hz.(SOE)

The review of the tcl mentioned that TCL had muted colors. The Sony had better color accrucy I interperated that the Sony will have more pop than the TCL.

This Pop is what I am looking for and is an important requirement as well

I am happy for your feedback. My understanding of what causes the pop or Wow factor in the tv picture

Display 55" XBR 900 E
Video. Samsung K8500 4K Player
Audio TBD
Remote Harmony 700
post #693 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@Alexious

May I ask where you are from?
I'm from Israel, and I'm thinking about replacing my M55-C2 with either this TCL or the 2017 Vizio M series.
I have ordered 2 TVs from the USA directly, and I think that the international outlet of target probably offers the best prices when you include shipping and import duties.
They have the new M series, and I'm waiting for reviews of it and maybe some more reviews of the TCL P series as well. I was set on the Vizio before I read imagic's preview\review of this set. It's very impressive, and I think it's going to be worth ordering from the USA. The only downside is that you'll need an AC step down transformer (I already have those for my Vizios).

@imagic

I read in that other review that the white balance controls for HDR and SDR are shared.
My Vizio has 3 separate white balance and CMS controls, one for SDR, one for HDR10 and one for DV.
Could you confirm that the TCL only has a single calibration control which has to work with all formats or was the review incorrect?
I'm from Italy and Target doesn't ship there. I checked this one which ships Amazon items though, probably the best bet: https://flycrates.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrushian View Post
I know I in the minority but I like the smoothness that is provided by 120hz.(SOE)

The review of the tcl mentioned that TCL had muted colors. The Sony had better color accrucy I interperated that the Sony will have more pop than the TCL.

This Pop is what I am looking for and is an important requirement as well

I am happy for your feedback. My understanding of what causes the pop or Wow factor in the tv picture
The colors are not muted. That's crazy talk. This TV has great color volume performance. Y

Regarding accuracy, I calibrated a X940D and the TCL a day apart and both were well under DeltaE 1.0, with the TCL actually being more accurate than the Sony. But at that point in a calibration, I'm already well past the point of noticeable differences. As long as the CMS is working properly, oftentimes a TV is as accurate as the effort you put into it (within limits). Point being I can spend another hour and get slight numerical improvements over a "good" calibration, and I can play that game with multiple TVs at once.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-05-2017 at 07:44 AM.
post #695 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

And now... per the many requests, full-screen gray at 10%, 50%, and 100%.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #696 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The colors are not muted. That's crazy talk. This TV has great color volume performance. Y

Regarding accuracy, I calibrated a X940D and the TCL a day apart and both were well under DeltaE 1.0, with the TCL actually being more accurate than the Sony. But at that point in a calibration, I'm already well past the point of noticeable differences. As long as the CMS is working properly, oftentimes a TV is as accurate as the effort you put into it (within limits). Point being I can spend another hour and get slight numerical improvements over a "good" calibration, and I can play that game with multiple TVs at once.
Thank you for that information. I respect your exsperince and opinion. I was just repeating that the reviewer stated that the tcl had noticible muted reds and greens and less detail and far more vivid colors when viewing HDR content.

I an still making my choice between the 2 TVs

Since you reviewed the x940D is their a visually noticeable difference in Smoothness and color pop with HDR content when comparing the TCL and Sony.

I am interested in a tv with vivid colors (I'm not say the TCL is not vivid) I would rather a Tv be too vivid and be able to adjust it as needed than to have a tv that may not be vivid enough ( in my opinion) and be unsatisfied.

I look forward to you feedback

Display 55" XBR 900 E
Audio TBD
Remote Harmony 700
post #697 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrushian View Post
Thank you for that information. I respect your exsperince and opinion. I was just repeating that the reviewer stated that the tcl had noticible muted reds and greens and less detail and far more vivid colors when viewing HDR content.

I an still making my choice between the 2 TVs

Since you reviewed the x940D is their a visually noticeable difference in Smoothness and color pop with HDR content when comparing the TCL and Sony.

I am interested in a tv with vivid colors (I'm not say the TCL is not vivid) I would rather a Tv be too vivid and be able to adjust it as needed than to have a tv that may not be vivid enough ( in my opinion) and be unsatisfied.

I look forward to you feedback
The X940D has superior HDR performance and overall is a higher-end TV. I don't think its a fair comparison at that level. Same goes for Samsung Q9, or an LG OLED. Top TVs from each manufacturer have better motion processing, higher peak brightness, better screen coatings, and are larger. The Samsung Q9 has amazing colors, Sony's X940D has a very effective FALD array. OLED does dark room and off-angle best.

But price... TCL

And crucially, there's one area where it's competing with the big boys, and that's contrast! This TV, viewed head-on, performs miracles considering its cost.

Look at this...

TCL 55" P-Series TV, 100% white window, black background, SDR (BT.709) pattern from AVS HD709.

It's what my eyes see in a totally black room. That's the TCL. It's incredible, for an LCD. Edges of the screen are edges of the picture. I'm working in a totally black space now. The native contrast and good FALD is what makes this TV so exciting. A 65" with this performance would be a game-changer of epic proportions. Looking forward to that TV.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
post #698 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
The X940D has superior HDR performance and overall is a higher-end TV. I don't think its a fair comparison at that level. Same goes for Samsung Q9, or an LG OLED. Top TVs from each manufacturer have better motion processing, higher peak brightness, better screen coatings, and are larger. The Samsung Q9 has amazing colors, Sony's X940D has a very effective FALD array. OLED does dark room and off-angle best.

But price... TCL

And crucially, there's one area where it's competing with the big boys, and that's contrast! This TV, viewed head-on, performs miracles considering its cost.

Look at this...

TCL 55" P-Series TV, 100% white window, black background, SDR (BT.709) pattern from AVS HD709.

It's what my eyes see in a totally black room. That's the TCL. It's incredible, for an LCD. Edges of the screen are edges of the picture. I'm working in a totally black space now. The native contrast and good FALD is what makes this TV so exciting. A 65" with this performance would be a game-changer of epic proportions. Looking forward to that TV.
That's incredible!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Ricker62 and madrushian like this.
post #699 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does some one have an eta on when the 50 inch will be available ?
post #700 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 AM

I agree the contrast is incredible. It impressive most impressive

I agree that the TCL surpasses any tv in its price point. Though I am more interested in the benefits you mentioned that a top tier TV envelope if it cost a premium.

Kinda like i could be happy with a quality car but have the means to buy a luxury car.
imagic likes this.

Display 55" XBR 900 E
Audio TBD
Remote Harmony 700
post #701 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
This reviewer identified the nearest spec-for-spec competitor, which is something I was looking for. So it turns out that TV is the Sony XBR55X900E. We can't post price details, but let's just say most retailers have it for about twice as much as what TCL and Amazon are listing the 55P607 for.

Excerpt:

" During the scene where Voldemort attacks Hogwarts, more detail is visible on the TCL than on the Sony. The Sony makes the choice with its EOTF to clip more detail above what it can display in order to show brighter highlights. The TCL chooses to show more details at the expense of peak brightness, so certain objects will not be as bright as they could be, but details past the 590 nits peak output of the TCL will be more visible.

Watching a Sony demo clip of a camping trip, the Sun has more detail visible on the Sony, but some people found it to be too strange. The Sony was able to show the content with a red halo around the sun, information that is present in the content, but the TCL had to show it without the red because of the peak brightness. So while the TCL is less accurate here, some people may wind up preferring it."

So it's a situation where the nearest competitor's picture quality superiority is still a bit of a trade off and subjective. The Sony has higher peek brightness but a lower contrast ratio, it is also missing the Dolby Vision support and the Dolby ATMOS audio pass through feature found on the 55P607. You also get Sony's proprietary Android smart TV interface which the buyer is likely going to replace with a AppleTV, FireTV or ... Roku.

Full review on the X900E the reviewer references.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

2017 X900E (XBR55X900E)
Contrast Native: 5411:1
Dynamic with FALD: 6534:1

Outside Sony brand loyalist and those who value 120Hz MotonFlow enough to spend double the money, I'm not sure why someone would pick the Sony over the TCL.
Does the TCL come close to Sony's equipped with a 4k X1 in upscaling? 1080P content look close to 4k on my 900E.

The author comparing the 55P607 to the 900E responded to that question
Quote:
The Sony scalers are better than anything else on the market IMO.
smorjug likes this.

Last edited by ponzies; 06-05-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #702 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzies View Post
Does the TCL come close to Sony's equipped with a 4k X1 in upscaling? 1080P content look close to 4k on my 900E.
I'd like to know this, too, particularly with respect to the on-board Netflix and Youtube apps.

I'm wondering if the TCL should be treated more as a "monitor" rather than an excellent internet streamer and upscaler of say Netflix and Youtube 1080 stuff. In short, will the buyer of this set need an add-on device to get excellent PQ on the screen?
post #703 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzies View Post

The author comparing the 55P607 to the 900E responded to that question
Can just parrot what TCL Customer Service has said publicly about the up scaling capabilities. This is from Amazon.com Answers:

Good afternoon,

Let's take this opportunity to talk upscaling for just a second. A 4k Ultra HD TV (any one) has a fixes resolution of 3840 x 2860 pixels. Or, about 8,000,000 pixels. That is also the resolution of an incoming 4k signal, so it simply displays it, looking AMAZING! Now, there is also a ton of content out there that is less than 4k. Your'e asking about 1080p. A 1080p signal is 1920 x 1080 pixels, or about 2,000,000 pixels. So if a 4k TV (with 8,000,000 pixels) displays only 1080p (2,000,000 pixels) about 3/4 of the screen would remain unfilled. Enter "upscaling" (or upconversion). ALL 4K ULTRA HD TVS HAVE TO PERFORM UPSCALING TO FILL THE SCREEN. What the TVs do is "fill in the blanks" and create a 4k Ultra HD image using the 1080p image as the basis.
That being said, it can be done well, or not-so-well, and TCL’s proprietary 4K Creative Pro upscaling engine allows you to view your HD content in near 4K quality by doing it well.
So the question isn't "does it support upscaling", but "How well does it do?".
Really hope that helps,

TCL USA Support
sheshechic likes this.
post #704 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone run a SDR saturation sweep on this TV to see how well the CMS is tracking at different saturations? Hopefully it's decent since the other review says the CMS controls don't work well without introducing issues - that's not surprising since these controls often don't work properly even on TVs costing 10x as much.
post #705 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I was under the impression that on Sony, due to Android limitations, most if not all of its picture processing features don't really function when you're using apps like Netflix, Amazon and what not. That they only work properly for HDMI sources.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #706 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I just added some of the HDR measurements to my review of the TCL. You can adjust the CMS to improve the colors in some cases, but it created a few where there were spikes that were bad, so I reset it and left it alone. I'd rather have the overall average error be 1.7 with no spikes than 1.4 with some spikes.

The main issue with the TCL some people will have is the EOTF they implement. It isn't tracking perfectly to what it should, as they try to preserve more detail at the top end. As part of a Wirecutter piece, I had all my neighbors over yesterday to compare the TCL, the Vizio P65, and the Sony X900E side-by-side-by-side. All calibrated, using an HDMI splitter to feed them all HDR. People were split between the TCL and Sony, with some liking the extra brightness on some HDR content, and some liking the extra detail from the TCL EOTF and thinking HDR on the Sony can be almost too bright and vivid. Everyone liked those two more than the Vizio, though.

The SDR data is virtually perfect as well. As I mentioned you can see the dynamic backlight in certain cases, but most people won't IMO. Turning it down to medium makes it still work fine and not be as apparent in those situations. I also highly prefer Roku to Android, but I'll try to check in here a bit to see questions people have.

Chris Heinonen, ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Senior Staff Writer, Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
post #707 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post
Everyone liked those two more than the Vizio, though.
Exactly what I needed to hear. I just returned my Vizio P Series that I bought in March at Costco to make way for this TCL P Series. I know I will love the Roku interface SO much more than the smartcast situation on Vizio, and I know the specs imagic has been posting are pretty amazing, but to hear from a direct comparison that the TCL is preferred over Vizio makes me feel even better about my decision. Additionally, I had the P55 which is an IPS panel, so this TCL with a VA panel is going to be that much better for my personal situation!
sheshechic and Ricker62 like this.
post #708 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Did you feel that dirty screen effect was a problem on the TCL?
This question is for the people who've seen it in person.
post #709 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Hi imagic,

Thank you for all your work on testing and write up.

This 4k TV sounds awesome but my next TV is going to do dual usage as PC monitor and TV.
Inability to do 4:4:4 at 60Hz 4k is a deal breaker for me.

If you have a direct contact with TCL, can you ask them if they have any plans to update the firmware with ability to do 4:4:4 @60Hz @ 4k in the future?

Thanks again for great write up and posts.
Its impossible to do 4k60 4:4:4 and 10 bit hdr over hdmi 2.0a and now windows supports HDR for the desktop (creative update) along with consoles the inability to do 4:4:4 shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone anymore.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #710 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Whatever. It's really not an issue at all, actually. Not even for text on a PC, as I demonstrated with my photo. But, it looks like it's something you give up, for whatever reason. If I find a mode that renders all 4:4:4 patterns/tests properly, I'll post that. And, I'll ask TCL.

4:2:2 UHD has the chroma resolution of 4:4:4 1080p. Aside from very special use scenarios, it's not an issue for a 55" TV, so much so that it's a waste of time to talk about. Works with Ultra HD Blu-ray, looks awesome with PS4 Pro. But, for those who insist on it (or have a legit need it for whatever reason) well, you'll probably need to spend a lot more on a TV to get all the other features the TCL sports and 4:4:4.

Of course it would be great if this TV did everything. Maybe next year?
Thank you imagic.

I've never used a giant 4k TV as a computer monitor before so I am not sure how much difference there will be from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4.
I asked because of rting.com review of TVs; 4:4:4 is recommended by them if you read a lot of text.

If I buy the TV for computer monitor use, I'll be using it to browse web, watch movies and play games. I also trade stocks so I read a lot of articles and have a real time stock quote app running. 4k real-estate will give me lots of room to work with.

If you feel that there wouldn't be too much of difference, then I am going to give TCL a try. $600 4k 55" monitor with excellent HDR sounds too good pass up.

Thanks again for all the info.
theboomr likes this.
post #711 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just saw this reply on one of the TCL youtube videos by TCL dated today:
"The P-Series is available for pre-order now and will ship mid-June."

Haven't seen any mention of the shipping date myself until now, good to finally see one by TCL.
Ricker62 and theboomr like this.
post #712 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuB01 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUh...re=em-comments

Haven't seen any mention of the shipping date myself until now, good to finally see one by TCL.
Now if only we could get some info on when the TV will be available from other retailers...I'd really very much prefer to be able to buy the TV from a physical store, so that a potential return for whatever reason wouldn't involve shipping...But, I'm impatient so I've had a preorder on Amazon for one since it became available. Will probably just settle for that, unless we get other retailer info before they actually start shipping from Amazon.
post #713 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 408
One thing I wanted to chime in here with is that in reviewing this, it was brought in for the Budget 4K piece at Wirecutter. I mean, it's $600, right? But after spending the week with it, I had my neighbors over for the Wirecutter panel to get a real-world impression on what people thought and what they would pay money for. People were split between the X900E and the TCL (the Vizio P65 was clearly 3rd place here, and these were all calibrated prior to use) but at the price difference, no one was going to spend more even if they liked the Sony more.

The TCL isn't going to replace my Sony OLED. But given the rapid pace of improvement on displays right now with HDR, spending $600 to hold me over for a couple years isn't a bad idea at all. Watching John Wick 2 on it, I never felt like I was really missing anything, and I've watched almost all of the new season of House of Cards on and the Roku interface has been great. Most people are going to have to spend a lot more money to get a TV that clearly beats the TCL.

Chris Heinonen, ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Senior Staff Writer, Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
post #714 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuB01 View Post

TCL has actually released a few shipping dates, first stating mid May to early June. The June 5th date came from somewhere? Now they have confirmed it will not be early June but "mid-June" Meaning available from Amazon and other retailers to ship to customers probably end of June. Or will it? Tracing back to their press releases they have effectively delayed shipment by a month from initial expectations given early May. It's very possible that will occur again. Regardless, looks like we'll be waiting another month and those of us with vacation plans over the week of the 4th may be waiting longer.

I am incredibly annoyed TCL can't get their act together and give a product release date. Universally product vendors of all categories are able to do this and commit to it. So the mid-June date must mean "we're waiting on them to clear customs" or some other variable that TCL has no control over and can only give a general window. In my opinion not being able to deliver a firm release date is categorically a form of poor customer service. Amazon on the other hand tends to play it safe with customer expectations and also knows the record of each vendors ability to deliver within their stated windows. Because of that, I have a sinking feeling Amazon's estimated time window of early August may be where we should set expectations and then if it comes sooner be pleasantly surprised.

We've established the Sony set albeit more pricey delivers slightly better performance and adds true 120Hz MotionFlow features. As much as I don't want to spend double on a set, facing a possible ship date early to mid July and the pain of having to coordinate that with Amazon and my travels will likely have me canceling my order on this and switching to a plan B of some sort. Very disappointed.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-05-2017 at 07:09 PM.
post #715 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
TCL has actually released a few shipping dates, first stating mid May to early June. The June 5th date came from somewhere? Now they have confirmed it will not be early June but "mid-June" Meaning available from Amazon and other retailers to ship to customers probably end of June. Or will it? Tracing back to their press releases they have effectively delayed shipment by a month from initial expectations given early May. It's very possible that will occur again. Regardless, looks like we'll be waiting another month and those of us with vacation plans over the week of the 4th may be waiting longer.

I am incredibly annoyed TCL can't get their act together and give a product release date. Universally product vendors of all categories are able to do this and commit to it. So the mid-June date must mean "we're waiting on them to clear customs" or some other variable that TCL has no control over and can only give a general window. In my opinion not being able to deliver a firm release date is categorically a form of poor customer service. Amazon on the other hand tends to play it safe with customer expectations and also knows the record of each vendors ability to deliver within their stated windows. Because of that, I have a sinking feeling Amazon's estimated time window of early August may be where we should set expectations and then if it comes sooner be pleasantly surprised.

We've established the Sony set albeit more pricey delivers slightly better performance and adds true 120Hz MotionFlow features. As much as I don't want to spend double on a set, facing a possible ship date early to mid July and the pain of having to coordinate that with Amazon and my travels will likely have me canceling my order on this and switching to a plan B of some sort. Very disappointed.
I understand why you are upset, but really so far nothing has been out of the realm of what TCL promised. They initially said very vaguely that the sets should be available in May. Well they went up for pre-order in May. Then 4k.com said the sets would start shipping June 5 but we don't know where they got that info. Now TCL is directly saying they'll ship mid June. Why would you automatically assume that they won't actually ship until August?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #716 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
I understand why you are upset, but really so far nothing has been out of the realm of what TCL promised. They initially said very vaguely that the sets should be available in May. Well they went up for pre-order in May. Then 4k.com said the sets would start shipping June 5 but we don't know where they got that info. Now TCL is directly saying they'll ship mid June. Why would you automatically assume that they won't actually ship until August?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If you read the comments at the YouTube video linked in FuB01's post, TCL USA responded to a question asking when the TV would be available with...

"Thank you for the insight. This TV is set to launch in May."

Doesn't seem very vague to me...
post #717 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
If you read the comments at the YouTube video linked in FuB01's post, TCL USA responded to a question asking when the TV would be available with...

"Thank you for the insight. This TV is set to launch in May."

Doesn't seem very vague to me...

Launch does not mean ship. It launched May 12, which is the day this thread began. https://www.avsforum.com/2017-tcl-p-s...vision-launch/

If people are not getting TVs within a couple weeks, let's revisit this.
theboomr and FuB01 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #718 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

One little detail leads me to suspect that the 55P607 is not quite ready for shipment: I looked
at their website, TCLUSA.COM, and they don't have a downloadable manual like they do for
all their older sets. I like to get a manual early to start familiarizing myself with a product.

Am I wrong to correlate readiness of a new set with availability of documentation?
post #719 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBee60 View Post
One little detail leads me to suspect that the 55P607 is not quite ready for shipment: I looked
at their website, TCLUSA.COM, and they don't have a downloadable manual like they do for
all their older sets. I like to get a manual early to start familiarizing myself with a product.

Am I wrong to correlate readiness of a new set with availability of documentation?
I did a google search and found their manuals, diagrams, etc on the FCC site. A lot of details there.
post #720 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBee60 View Post

Your best bet would be to go with what I've been told, directly, by folks from TCL. Mid June is the word, but no specific numeral attached to that.
theboomr likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page