TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1218Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
cah95046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
55P607 user manual

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3306615

whizkid39 likes this.
cah95046 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Tmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch

Oh my. The FCC web site is kinda bad news for those of us waiting on the 65 P series. It shows that they made application for the 55 P series back in March and in May made application for the 55 and 65 C series but have not yet made application for the 65 P series.

https://fccid.io/W8U/amp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tmein; 06-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Tmein is offline  
post #723 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
rmz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Your best bet would be to go with what I've been told, directly, by folks from TCL. Mid June is the word, but no specific numeral attached to that.
Mid June is actually pretty easy to figure out. This month has 30 days, so mid-June is June 15th. Giving the vendor a two business day window around the 15th would be June 13th (next Tuesday) to June 19th (Monday after next). That would be "shipping mid June" and outside that window you have early June or late June. Since TCL can't commit to a real calendar date, I do hope they know the difference between mid-June and late June, but I suppose we will see.

Regardless, if it's the 15th or some day on the week of the 19th. There is still 3-4 day window for the product to make it to retailers warehouses and in the case of Amazon 3-5 day window to get these out to customers once the trucks finally arrive at their warehouses and the TVs have been processed into inventory. Amazon's highly efficient at all of this, but you're still probably looking at a 24 hour window once shipment comes from TCL to the point they have product going out to customers. So if their stated mid June release is accurate then I'm betting we're still looking at these arriving on doorsteps last week of June and for a lot of folks probably first week of July.

In the Amazon Q&A, through the Roku Blog and through official TCL correspondences on their YouTube video for the P series they have repeatedly stated late May to early June. Some of those post (like the amazon Q&A post addressing this) has been deleted. There is clearly some retraction going on. Hopefully it won't happen again. Take the optimistic or pessimistic road depending on personality type I guess.

If for whatever reason they have to delay a month (early-mid July release instead) then Amazon's estimate would be pretty spot on. I'm thinking the algorithms and machine learning Amazon's processing software used to determine and estimate ship date can be trusted. This aspect is something I do know a little about as I work in the data science field. I don't know the specifics of how Amazon's estimator works, but I would bet that it is looking at the consistency of the specific vendors ability to deliver within their claimed window. Maybe in your experience they get it wrong often, but I doubt in a large sample that is the case. I bet they usually nail it down.

If you add up the time delays for each step of supply chain handling, Amazon is thinking they will delay another month and ship mid-July.

EDIT: To add to the confusion, I received a response from TCL Customer Service this evening claiming the 55P607 has already been released to retail (Amazon.com was mentioned to be specific). Clearly different from what TCL's social media rep is reporting on youtube. The two could be correlated if the "mid-June" date posted in response on YouTube today was actually a reference to when customers can expect they will be shipping from retail to their doorstep.... So bottom line, there still is no way to know a clear time frame other than within the next few months.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-05-2017 at 11:35 PM.
rmz76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #724 of 1431 Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
cah95046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmein View Post
Oh my. The FCC web site is kinda bad news for those of us waiting on the 65 P series. It shows that they made application for the 55 P series back in March and in May made application for the 55 and 65 C series but have not yet made application for the 65 P series.

https://fccid.io/W8U/amp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
55P607 application March, ship June - 3 mo delay
65P607 reported ship end 2017 requires application by Sep to be consistent - still time.
Tmein likes this.
cah95046 is offline  
post #725 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Newbie
 
JadeBee60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
Thanks, I got it and I really appreciate it.

It just surprised me when I look at the TCL website, found very slick and
complete info on this TV, but no downloadable manual. My thinking was
that, for cost-of-production purposes, they would produce the hardcopy
manual accompanying the physical set from the PDF file. And maybe
they do - just hadn't made the PDF available for us yet. Obviously,
though, somebody did - because that's what you found and told me about.

Thanks again - I'm off to do some reading...
JadeBee60 is offline  
post #726 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Newbie
 
MdMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuB01 View Post
Just saw this reply on one of the TCL youtube videos by TCL dated today:
"The P-Series is available for pre-order now and will ship mid-June."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUh...re=em-comments
Unbelievable!

The image they use to show off their WCG is from Australia... a country they won't be delivering to! SMH!

Whilst we're here, can anyone confirm the voltage requirements, is it only 110v (of what ever the US uses) or does it have 230-240v 50/60Hz by some miracle?

Last edited by MdMa; 06-06-2017 at 01:31 AM.
MdMa is offline  
post #727 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Member
 
Mcguinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Maybe some of the people that purchased this set will begin to receive the "Your TCL has Shipped!" email from Amazon.

The reality is that there is a chasm between the shipping narrative of Amazon and TCL, and no one is sure why that is, unless I missed something. We will soon find out who is correct, and I hope that it is TCL.

I have already delayed my TV purchase by a month, and may have to wait another six months, or so, if I decide that the the 65"TCL P is worth it AND I can convince my wife to wait. I have so far convinced her to put off watching a lot of movies in anticipation of HDR-DV, WCG and Atmos/DTS-X, but her patience is growing thin and she wants me to get 'er done! The problem for me is that we have a budget, and if I go with the more expensive Vizios, then I have to wait on elevation speakers until next year. To add insult to injury the picture may not measure up to the TCL according to the initial testing and public impressions. (and, of course, there is the ROKU streaming platform that will make a happy wife - happy life for me)

The rubber will meet the road when the set gets out into the wild, and we begin to get some feedback from owners. The test results certainly give one hope that it will be a successful product, but real world experience is sometimes different from initial impressions as we all know.

That being said, and being the eternal optimist, I would have ordered the 55" sight unseen, but it is too small for my requirements.

I guess the upside is that now I can wait for the Rtings review of the Vizio M scheduled for mid-June. Not sure when CNET will get around to reviewing it.
Mcguinn is offline  
post #728 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post
Maybe some of the people that purchased this set will begin to receive the "Your TCL has Shipped!" email from Amazon.

The reality is that there is a chasm between the shipping narrative of Amazon and TCL, and no one is sure why that is, unless I missed something. We will soon find out who is correct, and I hope that it is TCL.

I have already delayed my TV purchase by a month, and may have to wait another six months, or so, if I decide that the the 65"TCL P is worth it AND I can convince my wife to wait. I have so far convinced her to put off watching a lot of movies in anticipation of HDR-DV, WCG and Atmos/DTS-X, but her patience is growing thin and she wants me to get 'er done! The problem for me is that we have a budget, and if I go with the more expensive Vizios, then I have to wait on elevation speakers until next year. To add insult to injury the picture may not measure up to the TCL according to the initial testing and public impressions. (and, of course, there is the ROKU streaming platform that will make a happy wife - happy life for me)

The rubber will meet the road when the set gets out into the wild, and we begin to get some feedback from owners. The test results certainly give one hope that it will be a successful product, but real world experience is sometimes different from initial impressions as we all know.

That being said, and being the eternal optimist, I would have ordered the 55" sight unseen, but it is too small for my requirements.

I guess the upside is that now I can wait for the Rtings review of the Vizio M scheduled for mid-June. Not sure when CNET will get around to reviewing it.
Try not to get too anxious about that notification. I don't think they'll be shipping until after Amazon starts shipping their own Fire Tv which is supposedly the 14th.

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #729 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
d34dl1n3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Just kinda curious why 120hz is a dealbreaker. You know most content on the market tops out at 60hz right? And most stuff is way less than that. I love fast panels as a PC gamer, (i have a 165hz gsync monitor) but i really see no need for a tv to have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrushian View Post
I know I in the minority but I like the smoothness that is provided by 120hz.(SOE)

The review of the tcl mentioned that TCL had muted colors. The Sony had better color accrucy I interperated that the Sony will have more pop than the TCL.

This Pop is what I am looking for and is an important requirement as well

I am happy for your feedback. My understanding of what causes the pop or Wow factor in the tv picture
There's also the 3:2 pulldown with 24p content on a 60hz screen. There's reason for 120hz without any motion enhancing options turned on.
d34dl1n3r is offline  
post #730 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
EDIT: To add to the confusion, I received a response from TCL Customer Service this evening claiming the 55P607 has already been released to retail (Amazon.com was mentioned to be specific). Clearly different from what TCL's social media rep is reporting on youtube. The two could be correlated if the "mid-June" date posted in response on YouTube today was actually a reference to when customers can expect they will be shipping from retail to their doorstep.... So bottom line, there still is no way to know a clear time frame other than within the next few months.
You seem very pessimistic, lol. To me, when any customer asks TCL "When will these sets ship?" it is assumed that the customer specifically means is "When will the TV that I personally ordered be shipped from the retailer to me?" It's reasonable to assume that TCL is smart enough to understand this, so when TCL responds saying that sets will "ship" in mid-June, I read that as meaning shipping from retailers to customers. If TCL meant shipping from them to retailers, I think they would've specified that in their multiple responses.

My point of view is further backed up by that response TCL sent to you. I really don't think it's as big a stretch as you think it is to assume that the TCL rep on YouTube and the TCL response you got are in fact lining up with each other. 55P607 has already shipped from TCL to Amazon. Amazon will start shipping out 55P607 to its customers in mid-June.
theboomr is offline  
post #731 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
There's also the 3:2 pulldown with 24p content on a 60hz screen. There's reason for 120hz without any motion enhancing options turned on.
As long as the TV can adjust to run at 48hz, then 24p content is not a problem. The real problem is if 24p content is being broadcast over a locked 60p channel, like cable TV (from what I understand; I don't have it myself). If I understand correctly, that is the situation in which 3:2 pulldown occurs, and many TVs cannot do anything to fix that. Vizio TVs actually can detect when that is happening and reverse the 3:2 effect to properly display 24p content.
theboomr is offline  
post #732 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
Mid June is actually pretty easy to figure out. This month has 30 days, so mid-June is June 15th. Giving the vendor a two business day window around the 15th would be June 13th (next Tuesday) to June 19th (Monday after next). That would be "shipping mid June" and outside that window you have early June or late June. Since TCL can't commit to a real calendar date, I do hope they know the difference between mid-June and late June, but I suppose we will see.

Regardless, if it's the 15th or some day on the week of the 19th. There is still 3-4 day window for the product to make it to retailers warehouses and in the case of Amazon 3-5 day window to get these out to customers once the trucks finally arrive at their warehouses and the TVs have been processed into inventory. Amazon's highly efficient at all of this, but you're still probably looking at a 24 hour window once shipment comes from TCL to the point they have product going out to customers. So if their stated mid June release is accurate then I'm betting we're still looking at these arriving on doorsteps last week of June and for a lot of folks probably first week of July.

In the Amazon Q&A, through the Roku Blog and through official TCL correspondences on their YouTube video for the P series they have repeatedly stated late May to early June. Some of those post (like the amazon Q&A post addressing this) has been deleted. There is clearly some retraction going on. Hopefully it won't happen again. Take the optimistic or pessimistic road depending on personality type I guess.

If for whatever reason they have to delay a month (early-mid July release instead) then Amazon's estimate would be pretty spot on. I'm thinking the algorithms and machine learning Amazon's processing software used to determine and estimate ship date can be trusted. This aspect is something I do know a little about as I work in the data science field. I don't know the specifics of how Amazon's estimator works, but I would bet that it is looking at the consistency of the specific vendors ability to deliver within their claimed window. Maybe in your experience they get it wrong often, but I doubt in a large sample that is the case. I bet they usually nail it down.

If you add up the time delays for each step of supply chain handling, Amazon is thinking they will delay another month and ship mid-July.

EDIT: To add to the confusion, I received a response from TCL Customer Service this evening claiming the 55P607 has already been released to retail (Amazon.com was mentioned to be specific). Clearly different from what TCL's social media rep is reporting on youtube. The two could be correlated if the "mid-June" date posted in response on YouTube today was actually a reference to when customers can expect they will be shipping from retail to their doorstep.... So bottom line, there still is no way to know a clear time frame other than within the next few months.
If you don't know how it works, why are you guessing? Also, who is confused about what 'mid-June' means? Because until I hear otherwise, that's the word from my contacts at TCL. The rest is just noise.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #733 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
As long as the TV can adjust to run at 48hz, then 24p content is not a problem. The real problem is if 24p content is being broadcast over a locked 60p channel, like cable TV (from what I understand; I don't have it myself). If I understand correctly, that is the situation in which 3:2 pulldown occurs, and many TVs cannot do anything to fix that. Vizio TVs actually can detect when that is happening and reverse the 3:2 effect to properly display 24p content.
I misplaced my signal generator but basically I plan to checking the frequency of the meter sync when showing 24p patterns.
d34dl1n3r and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #734 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
There's also the 3:2 pulldown with 24p content on a 60hz screen. There's reason for 120hz without any motion enhancing options turned on.
Not true. As long as the TV can switch to 24 Hz, it is a moot point. The 120Hz feature on a TV is literally useless.
Abir Mandal is offline  
post #735 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Confirmed. I clock 96 Hz with the meter, which on this TV appears to be the result of a 48 Hz mode plus backlight scanning. Anyhow, this TV handles 24p correctly, no pulldown trickery.
Nice.
Thanks for posting the uniformity pics.
Did you feel dirty screen effect was a problem with gaming or movie watching?
Johnny Pantoja is offline  
post #736 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Scott R. Scherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Confirmed. I clock 96 Hz with the meter, which on this TV appears to be the result of a 48 Hz mode plus backlight scanning. Anyhow, this TV handles 24p correctly, no pulldown trickery.
theboomr likes this.
Scott R. Scherr is offline  
post #737 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
rmz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
If you don't know how it works, why are you guessing? Also, who is confused about what 'mid-June' means? Because until I hear otherwise, that's the word from my contacts at TCL. The rest is just noise.
Said the person who already has the set in their house, got everyone all excited about this model and has connections at TCL.

Excuse me, but I'm not sure you can relate to the frustration some of us are feeling about the foggy time frame for release and since you've stated you're trying to get TCL to send you a 65" set for review, you would have incentive to try and nix any talk here that could be perceived as negative towards TCL.

Regarding the release the vendor is contradicting to vague depending on perspective, but I have made the mistake of assuming consumer electrics have a structured release schedule like that of game consoles, mobile phones, media (games, music, movies, etc...). It seems televisions ship more like automobiles with a general time window for availability and then just begin showing up at dealers/retail without a real coordinated release. BTW you stated in another post to this thread that this model was "released in May". I strongly disagree with your definition of "release". When referring to consumer products, "Release" universally means "released for sale to the pubic". Sometimes products are in "limited release", but shipping out demo units to reviewers does not constitute a release in any context I've heard.

I guess the TV industry just doesn't see the demand to warrant the extra cost of a more structured release with a firm date. This was ignorance on my part and doesn't reflect poorly on TCL since it's just the norm. So I'll stop with my contribution to the "noise" as I agree with you, that is all it is.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-06-2017 at 12:17 PM.
rmz76 is offline  
post #738 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Pantoja View Post
Nice.
Thanks for posting the uniformity pics.
Did you feel dirty screen effect was a problem with gaming or movie watching?
It's not non-existent but it did not show itself even once over the course of many hours playing GTA 5, or during The Batman Lego Movie. I'll check out Art of Flight, I've seen DSE on other TVs watching that. Anyhow, as it stands, not a problem and is no worse than I often see on pricier TVs.
Lp85253 and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #739 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Member
 
mcpfrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego/ Univ City
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
TCL P607 vs my Panny Plasma P58VT25

Any opinions on if the P607 would be an overall improvement over my 6 yr old plasma. I’ve been reluctant to buy a new TV only to find I traded one set of advantages for another. So overall, is the P607 a step up over the Panny? Would love to hear your opinions, especially if you’ve seen the P607 (Mark H ).

I do watch lots of sports and watch most movies on a PJ ( Epson 5030UB)
mcpfrid is offline  
post #740 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpfrid View Post
Any opinions on if the P607 would be an overall improvement over my 6 yr old plasma. I’ve been reluctant to buy a new TV only to find I traded one set of advantages for another. So overall, is the P607 a step up over the Panny? Would love to hear your opinions, especially if you’ve seen the P607 (Mark H ).

I do watch lots of sports and watch most movies on a PJ ( Epson 5030UB)
Yes, it's a step up, even for BT.709 (SDR) but HDR is something plasmas could only dream of showing. Plasma's wide viewing angle is probably gonna be the one thing you miss, but there never was a plasma that can render the sort of vivid imagery this TV can display, and only the last couple of generations of Panny plasma (and the Kuro) had contrast in the same league as what this TV produces. But highlight rendering... no competition. The TCL is so far ahead of where plasma topped out, that's a huge difference.
kuripot and sheshechic like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #741 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Member
 
mcpfrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego/ Univ City
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes, it's a step up, even for BT.709 (SDR) but HDR is something plasmas could only dream of showing. Plasma's wide viewing angle is probably gonna be the one thing you miss, but there never was a plasma that can render the sort of vivid imagery this TV can display, and only the last couple of generations of Panny plasma (and the Kuro) had contrast in the same league as what this TV produces. But highlight rendering... no competition. The TCL is so far ahead of where plasma topped out, that's a huge difference.
thanks for the response. I believe this is within one of the "last generation plasmas" but when the 65i nch models become available I will be taking a serious look.
mcpfrid is offline  
post #742 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smackrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpfrid View Post
thanks for the response. I believe this is within one of the "last generation plasmas" but when the 65i nch models become available I will be taking a serious look.
I believe the progression was VT25 -> VT30 -> VT50 -> VT60. I've got a VT60 in the living room (Sony OLED in the theater) and while I love the black levels and viewing angles of the VT60, I'm missing having HDR and WCG out there. After 10 days or so with the TCL P-Series I'll be replacing the VT60 with the 65" TCL once it is available later this year. Also having Roku built-in lets me remove a box from the AV system.
kuripot likes this.

Chris Heinonen, ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Senior Staff Writer, Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
Smackrabbit is offline  
post #743 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
Said the person who already has the set in their house, got everyone all excited about this model and has connections at TCL.

Excuse me, but I'm not sure you can relate to the frustration some of us are feeling about the foggy time frame for release and since you've stated you're trying to get TCL to send you a 65" set for review, you would have incentive to try and nix any talk here that could be perceived as negative towards TCL.

Regarding the release the vendor is contradicting to vague depending on perspective, but I have made the mistake of assuming consumer electrics have a structured release schedule like that of game consoles, mobile phones, media (games, music, movies, etc...). It seems televisions ship more like automobiles with a general time window for availability and then just begin showing up at dealers/retail without a real coordinated release. BTW you stated in another post to this thread that this model was "released in May". I strongly disagree with your definition of "release". When referring to consumer products, "Release" universally means "released for sale to the pubic". Sometimes products are in "limited release", but shipping out demo units to reviewers does not constitute a release in any context I've heard.

I guess the TV industry just doesn't see the demand to warrant the extra cost of a more structured release with a firm date. This was ignorance on my part and doesn't reflect poorly on TCL since it's just the norm. So I'll stop with my contribution to the "noise" as I agree with you, that is all it is.
I think you mean well with your comments, but again you're getting it wrong here. Imagic actually used the word "launch", not the word "release." That is technically accurate, as a product "launch" is an extremely vague concept. I apologize for arguing semantics, but market-speak is ALL semantics, so it is relevant. Apple "launches" new iPhones at their conferences, but that doesn't mean it's released immediately on that same day to the public. And "launch" is also different from "announce." The TCL P Series was first announced/revealed at CES early this year, if I remember correctly. Then it was officially "launched" in May, which means we got specific info on what sizes would be in the lineup and what their MSRPs would be. Preorders went up on Amazon at the end of May. TCL has said in numerous different places that these sets should be shipping in mid-June.

I agree with you, however, that it is irritating how TV companies generally seem to not have hard "release dates." They announce products, "launch" them, and then at some point after that, retailers get sets in stock, without much hoopla. I guess it kinda makes sense though since they're always releasing new TVs every single year and discontinuing the previous year's lineup, so not as much point in spending a bunch on marketing or targeting a specific date.
rmz76 likes this.
theboomr is offline  
post #744 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Member
 
mcpfrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego/ Univ City
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post
I believe the progression was VT25 -> VT30 -> VT50 -> VT60. I've got a VT60 in the living room (Sony OLED in the theater) and while I love the black levels and viewing angles of the VT60, I'm missing having HDR and WCG out there. After 10 days or so with the TCL P-Series I'll be replacing the VT60 with the 65" TCL once it is available later this year. Also having Roku built-in lets me remove a box from the AV system.
Thanks Chris. I did not know there were that many models between the VT25 - VT60. The next difficult decision will be what to watch movies on, a 65 inch 4k/hdr tv, or a 100 inch PJ screen (1080P/espon5030).
mcpfrid is offline  
post #745 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smackrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpfrid View Post
Thanks Chris. I did not know there were that many models between the VT25 - VT60. The next difficult decision will be what to watch movies on, a 65 inch 4k/hdr tv, or a 100 inch PJ screen (1080P/espon5030).
My theater has an Epson 5030 with a Studiotek 100 screen, and a 65" Sony OLED. I've not used the projector once since getting the OLED, since while it's a larger screen, I miss WCG, HDR, and the far better contrast ratios. Now, give me a 75"-85" OLED and I wouldn't need a projector at all, except for testing for work.
mkloharry likes this.

Chris Heinonen, ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Senior Staff Writer, Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
Smackrabbit is offline  
post #746 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Member
 
RSHale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post
I believe the progression was VT25 -> VT30 -> VT50 -> VT60. I've got a VT60 in the living room (Sony OLED in the theater) and while I love the black levels and viewing angles of the VT60, I'm missing having HDR and WCG out there. After 10 days or so with the TCL P-Series I'll be replacing the VT60 with the 65" TCL once it is available later this year. Also having Roku built-in lets me remove a box from the AV system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes, it's a step up, even for BT.709 (SDR) but HDR is something plasmas could only dream of showing. Plasma's wide viewing angle is probably gonna be the one thing you miss, but there never was a plasma that can render the sort of vivid imagery this TV can display, and only the last couple of generations of Panny plasma (and the Kuro) had contrast in the same league as what this TV produces. But highlight rendering... no competition. The TCL is so far ahead of where plasma topped out, that's a huge difference.
Thanks to you both. That's encouraging. I'm also looking at a possible upgrade from a 55" Panasonic VT50. My biggest concerns at this point are motion and upscaling. It sounds like neither of these would be a deal breaker for either of you.
RSHale is offline  
post #747 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Newbie
 
po90260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
camera ? microphone ?

Does this have a camera and/or a microphone built in which could be used to spy on the user?
po90260 is offline  
post #748 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by po90260 View Post
Does this have a camera and/or a microphone built in which could be used to spy on the user?
Its listed in the user manual the only reason the TV is so good for the price is its spying capabilities.
Fascinate is offline  
post #749 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
jakejm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
There's also the 3:2 pulldown with 24p content on a 60hz screen. There's reason for 120hz without any motion enhancing options turned on.
You are aware a lot of TVs do 24p content just with no pull down and not needing 120Hz, a 60Hz TV often wont just have a display rate of 60 Hz, it will also offer 50Hz and 48 (or 72)Hz for 24p content. If the display on your screen blacks out when changing between different TV and 24p blurays (or what have you) then it is changing the refresh rate.

Not sure why everyone thinks you need a 120Hz TV to avoid 3:2 pull down.

Quote:
The P-Series can detect film-based 24 Hz content (from a Blu-ray, for example) to automatically adjust its screen refresh rate to completely avoid judder without needing to apply an artificial 3:2 pull-down. The result is the most accurate reproduction of the film’s original frame rate.

Thanks,

TCL USA Support.
sheshechic, Lp85253 and theboomr like this.

Last edited by jakejm79; 06-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
jakejm79 is offline  
post #750 of 1431 Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Newbie
 
po90260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Its listed in the user manual the only reason the TV is so good for the price is its spying capabilities.
I don't see that. What page?
po90260 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off