TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1218Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,314
Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
Well? You have had it for 24hrs. How many nits?
600 nits full-screen in Movie mode, color temp. warm. Full. Screen. Sustained.

This... is going to be interesting.

I have to profile a 75" Sony X940E first thing in the a.m. but then I'll be back on this TV tomorrow.
gosawx, reallynotnick and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
600 nits full-screen in Movie mode, color temp. warm. Full. Screen. Sustained.

This... is going to be interesting.

I have to profile a 75" Sony X940E first thing in the a.m. but then I'll be back on this TV tomorrow.
That's really good for a TV at this price, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
theboomr is offline  
post #93 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,314
Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
That's really good for a TV at this price, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes
theboomr likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes
It feels silly that I'm creeping this thread every few minutes but I'm very excited for this TV

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.
theboomr is offline  
post #95 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,314
Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post
Can you take a pick of the roku remote? Curious to see what shortcut buttons are on the remote, i.e (Netflix, etc.)
Sure, here you go...

Lp85253 and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #96 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
rmz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Well that's....kinda weird. Doesn't Amazon always automatically give you the lowest price when you preorder things?

On the other hand, if this set really is as good as the specs seem to suggest, this price honestly makes more sense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I thought it was strange too and expected that they would auto discount a pre-order that had a markdown, I was told explicitly by the pricing department that this is not their policy. The cancel, re-purchase scenario is more complicated by the fact that debt cards and credit cards and even Amazon Store Cards take a few days to process the refund. While that hold is on your funds are locked and so unless you want to double the amount of credit used and wait for the refund (not even an option to some people I'd imagine) then you're best to wait until Friday and see what happens.... I suppose an alternative path would be to just spend $800 on an Amazon Gift Card and let them credit the gift card the difference if it does indeed drop to $599. I find it highly unlikely we're going to see $599 pricing on this set, more realistically we'll see the advertised $50 promo discount coming off the new $799 street price for this set. So perhaps a promo offer for $749 on Friday for the 55P607? I guess time will tell.... Horrible PR on the part of Roku/TCL if that's what ends up happening.
theboomr likes this.
rmz76 is offline  
post #97 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Member
 
tbielowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
600 nits full-screen in Movie mode, color temp. warm. Full. Screen. Sustained.

This... is going to be interesting.

I have to profile a 75" Sony X940E first thing in the a.m. but then I'll be back on this TV tomorrow.
Is that HDR? That's right up there with the Vizio P-series. This is going to be an interesting TV to keep an eye on...
theboomr likes this.
tbielowicz is offline  
post #98 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
As far as I'm concerned built in Roku is a plus. Anyone who's spending $700-1K on a tv can spend $35 on a Chromecast and get all its benefits as well, right?
theboomr likes this.
Defcon is online now  
post #99 of 1431 Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
cah95046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
600 nits full-screen in Movie mode, color temp. warm. Full. Screen. Sustained.

This... is going to be interesting.

I have to profile a 75" Sony X940E first thing in the a.m. but then I'll be back on this TV tomorrow.
Encouraging. Better than I feared.
theboomr likes this.
cah95046 is offline  
post #100 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
@rmz76 , I did a little digging of my own. I'm still seeing that $600 introductory price in that Roku blog post, and additionally, I'm not sure that Amazon product page is the real product page. You'll notice, it doesn't say that it's a pre-order, but that there is actually a TV available to ship in 4-5 days and you can actually "add to cart", and there is already a customer review on the page (an unhelpful one), which isn't possible on preorder product pages.

Maybe this is just a goof on Amazon's part.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
theboomr is offline  
post #101 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
rmz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
@rmz76 , I did a little digging of my own. I'm still seeing that $600 introductory price in that Roku blog post, and additionally, I'm not sure that Amazon product page is the real product page. You'll notice, it doesn't say that it's a pre-order, but that there is actually a TV available to ship in 4-5 days and you can actually "add to cart", and there is already a customer review on the page (an unhelpful one), which isn't possible on preorder product pages.

Maybe this is just a goof on Amazon's part.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Fingers crossed it's a goof and that the entry we see was accidentally entered. I guess we'll know Friday.

BTW it's not "shipping in 4-5 days" you'll also see on the page it states "shipping in 2-3 months", the "4-5 days with Prime" would be how long it will take them to ship it after they get it into inventory and available for sell. Also something I confirmed with support when I placed it in cart and went through the checkout process only to notice an "estimated arrival" date in August.

For whatever it's worth, as mentioned I got on the phone with Amazon support and was transferred to promotions and then to pricing where someone told me the $799 is not a placeholder price but will be "our everyday price on that model". I pressed on to ask about possible promotional price for 5-26 and was told they could not disclose future promotions. I even sent a link to the support rep of the Roku blog post/press release stating the $599 intro price through Amazon. The rep ignored it and just restated that they are not allowed to discuss possible future promotions.
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by rmz76; 05-25-2017 at 12:54 AM.
rmz76 is offline  
post #102 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Wow 600 nits? That is DOUBLE the M series from 2016.

And guys there is no way the TV is gonna cost 799, its MSRP is 649.00 right on TCL's page:
http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-...mart-tv-55p607

Last edited by teachsac; 05-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Fascinate is offline  
post #103 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,314
Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Wow 600 nits? That is DOUBLE the M series from 2016.

And guys there is no way the TV is gonna cost 799, its MSRP is 649.00 right on TCL's page:
http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-...mart-tv-55p607
Indeed, this morning I measured 620 nits. Again, full screen and indefinitely. That's really great for any TV.

Not so awesome is color volume for HDR. Rec. 709 is no problem, 107% coverage. But, that translates to 72% DCI/P3. More measurements coming (i.e. what is gamut coverage using traditional measurement methods).

Edit... Color volume performance is great for a TV its price. CIE L*a*b* measurement in a 10% window yielded 88.5% o DCI/P3. More color volume measurements to come.

2016 Vizio M was 300 nits and no WCG and fewer FALD zones, too.

2017 M is 300 nits with 600 nit peaks, and a bit more color volume but not a lot.

The Vizio P's picture quality stands out because it has great color volume and FALD.

Anecdote: I'm used to Samsung Q9F reds, so I knew right away that this TV was not gonna be as colorful. Irrelevant with SDR content, of course.

The aim is to post a first look by tomorrow morning.
theboomr likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.
imagic is offline  
post #104 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Hmm how can they advertise WCG with only 72% of DCI P3? That is lower than 2016 M series, which of course didnt have WCG advertised. I am honestly more interested in how the dimming works, have you done any comparisons to last years P or M from vizio?
Fascinate is offline  
post #105 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Mcguinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
I thought it was strange too and expected that they would auto discount a pre-order that had a markdown, I was told explicitly by the pricing department that this is not their policy. The cancel, re-purchase scenario is more complicated by the fact that debt cards and credit cards and even Amazon Store Cards take a few days to process the refund. While that hold is on your funds are locked and so unless you want to double the amount of credit used and wait for the refund (not even an option to some people I'd imagine) then you're best to wait until Friday and see what happens.... I suppose an alternative path would be to just spend $800 on an Amazon Gift Card and let them credit the gift card the difference if it does indeed drop to $599. I find it highly unlikely we're going to see $599 pricing on this set, more realistically we'll see the advertised $50 promo discount coming off the new $799 street price for this set. So perhaps a promo offer for $749 on Friday for the 55P607? I guess time will tell.... Horrible PR on the part of Roku/TCL if that's what ends up happening.
This is beginning to remind me of the scene from Monty Python "The Holy Grail" where the guard at the castle is watching a group of knights charging towards him and they keep getting farther away...until suddenly they are there! In the case of the TCL P series it might be 2018, but nobody knows.

At $799 for a 55" (if that's what the price is - who knows?) might as well get a 2017 Vizio M or even pick up a 2016 P, if they go on sale again, and call it a day.

Certainly if you do not need a 65" TV in the next 3-9 months this still might be a viable option. But if I were to wait that long I would hold out for HDMI 2.1.
Mcguinn is offline  
post #106 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
garnettrules21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Hmm how can they advertise WCG with only 72% of DCI P3? That is lower than 2016 M series, which of course didnt have WCG advertised. I am honestly more interested in how the dimming works, have you done any comparisons to last years P or M from vizio?
Yea and tcl keeps claiming stuff like covering nearly all of the color space. I wouldn't call 72% nearly all.

EDIT: Here's that quote I found, "All models feature 72 zones of contrast control, support both Dolby Vision and HDR10, and output an expanded color gamut that TCL claims “covers nearly all of the DCI-P3 color standard.”

Regardless if HDR isn't mind blowing I'm still very interested. Main thing I'm looking at is motion handling and dimming (blooming/clouding/haloing worry me a bit).

Last edited by garnettrules21; 05-25-2017 at 07:11 AM.
garnettrules21 is offline  
post #107 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I mean this could still be a great TV with that NIT number and if the dimming works, color space would rank below those two for HDR content.
Fascinate is offline  
post #108 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Youcan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Hmm how can they advertise WCG with only 72% of DCI P3? That is lower than 2016 M series, which of course didnt have WCG advertised. I am honestly more interested in how the dimming works, have you done any comparisons to last years P or M from vizio?
Rtings has the 2016 M series at 68.6% and the P series at 74.3% Here's their list:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictu...2020?uxtv=a5bc

I kinda figured this would be one area where the TCL model wouldn't quite measure up to the competition. I just hope that info about it being $799 and not shipping for two months is false.
theboomr likes this.
Youcan1 is offline  
post #109 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
Rtings has the 2016 M series at 68.6% and the P series at 74.3% Here's their list:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictu...2020?uxtv=a5bc

I kinda figured this would be one area where the TCL model wouldn't quite measure up to the competition. I just hope that info about it being $799 and not shipping for two months is false.
Well that means this TCL nearly matches the Vizio P in color gamut and brightness. Last two stats I really care about are local dimming performance and input lag. At $650 will be a steal, I think. If the input lag comes in at or below the Vizio P, I'll definitely be returning my Vizio for this TV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
theboomr is offline  
post #110 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 15,057
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
Posts edited and removed. Please be reminded that no price talk outside of MSRP is permitted except in the designated Deals' Forums. That includes other makes/models.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #111 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
rmz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Indeed, this morning I measured 620 nits. Again, full screen and indefinitely. That's really great for any TV.

Not so awesome is color volume for HDR. Rec. 709 is no problem, 107% coverage. But, that translates to 72% DCI/P3. More measurements coming (i.e. what is gamut coverage using traditional measurement methods).

2016 Vizio M was 300 nits and no WCG and fewer FALD zones, too.

2017 M is 300 nits with 600 nit peaks, and a bit more color volume but not a lot.

The Vizio P's picture quality stands out because it has great color volume and FALD.

Anecdote: I'm used to Samsung Q9F reds, so I knew right away that this TV was not gonna be as colorful. Irrelevant with SDR content, of course.

The aim is to post a first look by tomorrow morning.
This is interesting.... Only 72% of WCG of Rec.2020/HDR10 or only 72% of Dolby Vision WCG? I'm a bit ignorant on this but is it technically possible a Dolby Vision set could fair better on 12-bit Dolby Vision WCG test vs 10-bit HDR10 test? Also if your test were for HDR10, I'm curious how the TCL P series 55" measures up to their 2017 S series 55" since that model also supports HDR10.

It would be very interesting if they both rated about the same or better yet if the S series actually rated better on the HDR10 test. As much as I'd love to have DV support, I think HDR10 will be the standard most content creators master for. It's the standard I'm most concerned with my future TV meeting.

Was reading through this article:
http://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html

The section on "soft roll off" states "... Soft Roll Off is a good example of the potential issues with HDR, as there is no specification for the roll-off value. It is down to each TV manufacturer to define their own 'preferred' value. " Perhaps this accounts for how TCL is albe to market HDR compliance and only meet 72% expectation of WCG?

Last edited by rmz76; 05-25-2017 at 08:16 AM.
rmz76 is offline  
post #112 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
cah95046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
This is interesting.... Only 72% of WCG of Rec.2020/HDR10 or only 72% of Dolby Vision WCG? I'm a bit ignorant on this but is it technically possible a Dolby Vision set could fair better on 12-bit Dolby Vision WCG test vs 10-bit HDR10 test? Also if your test were for HDR10, I'm curious how the TCL P series 55" measures up to their 2017 S series 55" since that model also supports HDR10.

It would be very interesting if they both rated about the same or better yet if the S series actually rated better on the HDR10 test. As much as I'd love to have DV support, I think HDR10 will be the standard most content creators master for. It's the standard I'm most concerned with my future TV meeting.

Was reading through this article:
http://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html

The section on "soft roll off" states "... Soft Roll Off is a good example of the potential issues with HDR, as there is no specification for the roll-off value. It is down to each TV manufacturer to define their own 'preferred' value. " Perhaps this accounts for how TCL is albe to market HDR compliance and only meet 72% expectation of WCG?
WCG has nothing to do with 10 vs 12 bit. The number of bits affects banding. The color range depends on the back light, phosphors, QD, color filters etc.
EscapeVelocity and theboomr like this.

Last edited by cah95046; 05-25-2017 at 08:34 AM.
cah95046 is offline  
post #113 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Newbie
 
smorjug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Well that means this TCL nearly matches the Vizio P in color gamut and brightness. Last two stats I really care about are local dimming performance and input lag. At $650 will be a steal, I think. If the input lag comes in at or below the Vizio P, I'll definitely be returning my Vizio for this TV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Im on the same boat. Waiting results to see if im buying 2016 vizio p50 in sale or tcl 55p607.
theboomr likes this.
smorjug is offline  
post #114 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 18,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorjug View Post
Im on the same boat. Waiting results to see if im buying 2016 vizio p50 in sale or tcl 55p607.
Awww. Now I'm really disappointed the P65 won't be out until the end of the year.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #115 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jack Gilvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Jersey,USA
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Looking forward to this review. I installed an M55-D0 at my mom's a few weeks ago and was impressed enough I almost bought one to replace the aging 46" Samsung in the family room, but this set put those plans on hold. This display is really only used for NF, Prime Video, and European soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
This is the scene in my "lab" right now... Guns 'N Roses "Paradise City" playing on those Triton Fives as I type. Just... about... ready.
I was at the show in Giants Stadium where they filmed the original video for that song, almost 30 years ago now. Yikes!

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
Jack Gilvey is offline  
post #116 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,314
Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
This is interesting.... Only 72% of WCG of Rec.2020/HDR10 or only 72% of Dolby Vision WCG? I'm a bit ignorant on this but is it technically possible a Dolby Vision set could fair better on 12-bit Dolby Vision WCG test vs 10-bit HDR10 test? Also if your test were for HDR10, I'm curious how the TCL P series 55" measures up to their 2017 S series 55" since that model also supports HDR10.

It would be very interesting if they both rated about the same or better yet if the S series actually rated better on the HDR10 test. As much as I'd love to have DV support, I think HDR10 will be the standard most content creators master for. It's the standard I'm most concerned with my future TV meeting.

Was reading through this article:
http://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html

The section on "soft roll off" states "... Soft Roll Off is a good example of the potential issues with HDR, as there is no specification for the roll-off value. It is down to each TV manufacturer to define their own 'preferred' value. " Perhaps this accounts for how TCL is albe to market HDR compliance and only meet 72% expectation of WCG?
Remember that we are talking about color volume here, a measure by which rtings.com has OLEDs hitting only about 83% DCI/P3.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #117 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
smorjug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It would interesting if someone could compare vizio p series vs vizio m series vs tcl p series results
smorjug is offline  
post #118 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorjug View Post
It would interesting if someone could compare vizio p series vs vizio m series vs tcl p series results
Well, we've got all the measurement info on the Vizio P Series already from Rtings, but afaik we have yet to see full measurement info about the 2017 M Series.
theboomr is offline  
post #119 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
smorjug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Well, we've got all the measurement info on the Vizio P Series already from Rtings, but afaik we have yet to see full measurement info about the 2017 M Series.


I know but all info in the same post would be nice
whizkid39 likes this.
smorjug is offline  
post #120 of 1431 Old 05-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 78
@imagic When you post your impression may you speak a bit on how the Roku interface performs compared to a dedicated Roku OTT box such as the Premier/+/Ultra so far? I am very curious about that. If It is as good as my Premier + I can give it to my folks to upgrade over their Roku Express.
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by Atharun18999; 05-25-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Atharun18999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off