AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2840689-tcl-launches-p-series-c-series-4k-roku-tvs-hdr-dolby-vision-launch.html)

imagic 05-12-2017 08:54 AM

TCL Launches P-Series 4K HDR Roku TV with HDR Dolby Vision + First Look
 
Update! "First Look" posted.

TCL's P-Series brings some serious picture quality to the table at an astonishingly low price. It's a Roku TV with Dolby Vision and 72-zone FALD. With encouraging performance in numerous areas, this could wind up being one of the best deal on a 55" HDR TV around. Plus, gamers should be thrilled by the ultra-low lag times for both SDR and HDR 1080p when in Game mode.

Here's the link: TCL 55″ P-Series Model 55P607 4K HDR Roku TV with Dolby Vision: First Look


-----

Original Post: The TCL P-Series and C-Series of 4K, HDR, WCG, Dolby VIsion Roku TVs that were first shown at CES 2017 have officially launched. Click the link to read more: 2017 TCL P-Series & C-Series HDR 4K Roku TVs with Dolby Vision Launch

Fascinate 05-12-2017 08:57 AM

599 promotional price for the P55, does that mean its gonna go up after a certain time period tbd?

imagic 05-12-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52928897)
599 promotional price for the P55, does that mean its gonna go up after a certain time period tbd?

It's listed as $649 so presumably but you never know...

Fascinate 05-12-2017 09:16 AM

I mean depending on how these things perform they could be a game changer on a level even surpassing what vizio did last year (when you take pricing into consideration). They are going to be 8 bit panels so we wont see WCG like on a samsung ks8000 but maybe they can strike a balance somewhere between that set and a M series vizio?

I am probably in the minority on this one (at least on this forum) but i also wish these were chromecast displays rather than roku lol. Not a big deal tho with the CC ultra's existence.

klimo 05-12-2017 09:43 AM

Would love to see these guys enter the 100-120" market in the ~$5k range and take a lot of projector business. I would instantly replace my projector in the movie theater with one of these.

RLBURNSIDE 05-12-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klimo (Post 52930065)
Would love to see these guys enter the 100-120" market in the ~$5k range and take a lot of projector business. I would instantly replace my projector in the movie theater with one of these.

Ya I agree, I'm starting to get seriously PO'ed about the projector industry's relatively slow rate of improvements over the past five years, and how far they are behind.

b0rnarian 05-12-2017 10:12 AM

Technical details and specs, I want now!

CaptinCrunch 05-12-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rnarian (Post 52930761)
Technical details and specs, I want now!

Not much in the way of specs, but it's a start. It's the reviews that I want to see and how they are going to match up against other's in the size, and price range.

http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/p-series

naparkertx 05-12-2017 11:26 AM

TCL C vs. P Series
 
Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.

puddy77 05-12-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naparkertx (Post 52932809)
Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.

The C series is edgelit and the P series is backlit with the 72 zone dimming. Most would consider FALD superior to edge. I think the C series is more expensive because it's a very thin screen, not because it is a better TV.

thunderbird1100 05-12-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddy77 (Post 52932961)
The C series is edgelit and the P series is backlit with the 72 zone dimming. Most would consider FALD superior to edge. I think the C series is more expensive because it's a very thin screen, not because it is a better TV.

It'll be interesting to see the performance of the 2. Is the C-series actually more expensive? Looks like it's about the same or maybe a touch more expensive.

Either way, you would assume the P series is better picture quality wise, they even kind of basically say that. Although, the X900E is FALD and x930E from Sony is edge lit and the x930E is the superior tv.

bigcjm 05-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 (Post 52933153)
It'll be interesting to see the performance of the 2. Is the C-series actually more expensive? Looks like it's about the same or maybe a touch more expensive.

Either way, you would assume the P series is better picture quality wise, they even kind of basically say that. Although, the X900E is FALD and x930E from Sony is edge lit and the x930E is the superior tv.

Not to debate, but the x930E is superior for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the dimming. I.E. almost 6-700 more nits and brightness and the X1 extreme processor.

TCL will have to publish some specs. Like whats the max brightness output, color gamut, etc.. Dolby Vision isn't a real incentive especially since there almost no hard copy Dolby vision movies out... I think that when it comes time we will find out it'll be an underperformer or on par. If the specs were good they'd brag about them. To say it'll be better than previous TCL TV's is like saying youre better than the bottom 3rd in the category.

imagic 05-12-2017 01:32 PM

Working on getting a 65" P-Series to profile/review. No guarantees, but talking to TCL about it.

thunderbird1100 05-12-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcjm (Post 52935657)
Not to debate, but the x930E is superior for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the dimming. I.E. almost 6-700 more nits and brightness and the X1 extreme processor.

TCL will have to publish some specs. Like whats the max brightness output, color gamut, etc.. Dolby Vision isn't a real incentive especially since there almost no hard copy Dolby vision movies out... I think that when it comes time we will find out it'll be an underperformer or on par. If the specs were good they'd brag about them. To say it'll be better than previous TCL TV's is like saying youre better than the bottom 3rd in the category.

Actually the local dimming performance itself is better on the edge lit x930e over the FALD x900e.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictu.../local-dimming

7.5/10 for x930e
7.0/10 for x900e

Certainly the x930e is also better in many other ways (better processer, brighter, etc), but it's the best local dimming performance ever from an edge lit tv. That's why I'm wondering if the C-series may potentially be as good as the P series from TCL in terms of dimming. I highly doubt it, as they said the P is for picture performance...but, cant rule it out just due to local dimming like in the case of the x900e and x930e.

TCL tvs generally get reviewed pretty well, no they are not high end tvs, but most places have really liked their roku tvs. rtings gave a solid review on the UP130 last year, kind of a bare bones 4k tv (no HDR, no WCG, no LD), but the picture quality was rather nice still. I remember my 2014 TCL 4k tv I bought. 120hz native panel, wasn't smart, but the picture quality really quite good for a 50" 4k set from back in 2014, believe I got that for like $500 which was a steal back then. I had/have a HU8550 to compare it against and honestly didn't see a big difference.

Youcan1 05-12-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52929433)
I mean depending on how these things perform they could be a game changer on a level even surpassing what vizio did last year (when you take pricing into consideration). They are going to be 8 bit panels so we wont see WCG like on a samsung ks8000 but maybe they can strike a balance somewhere between that set and a M series vizio?

I am probably in the minority on this one (at least on this forum) but i also wish these were chromecast displays rather than roku lol. Not a big deal tho with the CC ultra's existence.

Where did you see 8 bit panels confirmed? I've seen a couple news articles say 10 bit and forum posters guessing that it's 8 bit. I haven't seen any detailed official specs.

Garrett Adams 05-12-2017 03:46 PM

The Dolby Vision models don't list having HDR10 or HDR10+. I'd prefer having both.

Fascinate 05-12-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcan1 (Post 52936225)
Where did you see 8 bit panels confirmed? I've seen a couple news articles say 10 bit and forum posters guessing that it's 8 bit. I haven't seen any detailed official specs.

Well pricing, they arent going to be selling a 55" 10 bit panel for 599 bucks.

theboomr 05-12-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52939393)
Well pricing, they arent going to be selling a 55" 10 bit panel for 599 bucks.

If the panels are only going to be 8 bit then how could they possibly cover "nearly the entire P3 color spectrum" (somewhat paraphrasing), as claimed?

I mean, can't you pretty much not have actual "wide color gamut" unless the TV has a 10-bit (or higher, in the future) panel?

viggen37 05-12-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naparkertx (Post 52932809)
Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Vizio P75-C1 be far superior than any of these new TLCs?

Fascinate 05-12-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboomr (Post 52940345)
If the panels are only going to be 8 bit then how could they possibly cover "nearly the entire P3 color spectrum" (somewhat paraphrasing), as claimed?

I mean, can't you pretty much not have actual "wide color gamut" unless the TV has a 10-bit (or higher, in the future) panel?

Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.

cah95046 05-12-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 52935825)
Working on getting a 65" P-Series to profile/review. No guarantees, but talking to TCL about it.

Great! That's tv is my target.

Fascinate 05-12-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen37 (Post 52940401)
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Vizio P75-C1 be far superior than any of these new TLCs?

Ya the vizio is surely a much much better TV, not sure why someone would be cross shopping these really.

theboomr 05-12-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52940457)
Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.

I understand your logic, I just feel like it is strange for TCL to have been bragging multiple times about super great WCG on these sets if there actually won't be any true WCG. I'll probably pick one up when they're released this month and compare it side by side with my Vizio P55, although I'm not an expert by any means. Hopefully Rtings gets their review up relatively soon after release though...

Fascinate 05-12-2017 04:59 PM

Im really interested in these as well, to me if they can strike a nice balance between quality local dimming and a nice vibrant display with good nit output this TV could be the defacto recommendation for anyone really.

Youcan1 05-12-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52940457)
Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.

There is a way, it's called component pricing going down and the major manufacturers having a huge markup on their products. You can certainly have your opinion, but don't act like it's a fact until the details are out. Obviously they won't hit the color/brightness of a top tier Samsung or have quite as good of a local dimming system as the Vizio P series, but who knows how close they'll get. The TCL UP130 from last year has a 10 bit panel by the way.

Fascinate 05-12-2017 05:18 PM

Well we should be clear not all 10 bit panels are created equally. But yes that is exactly what im hoping for, a nice balance between a vibrant samsung and the local dimming of a vizio, would be an extremely attractive TV for the price.

NHAudiofan 05-12-2017 05:40 PM

In an interview at CES the guy talks about the C series only having 400 nits peak brightness but able to hit nearly 100% of P3 color. Isn't that peak brightness way low compared to others?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fascinate 05-12-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHAudiofan (Post 52941713)
In an interview at CES the guy talks about the C series only having 400 nits peak brightness but able to hit nearly 100% of P3 color. Isn't that peak brightness way low compared to others?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Where did you hear that? At least for the P series TCL is making the claim its going to be one of the brightest HDR tv's in 2017.

NHAudiofan 05-12-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fascinate (Post 52941721)
Where did you hear that? At least for the P series TCL is making the claim its going to be one of the brightest HDR tv's in 2017.


This video, starting at the 5:31 point he starts to talk about the C series.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fascinate 05-12-2017 06:16 PM

Oh dont care about the C lol, neither should anyone else on this forum.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.