Can I get a better TV for $900 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sharky974
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 1 Post By checker9

post #1 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can I get a better TV for $900

Planning to get the 55 inch ks8000 found sale for $900.
Can I get better for the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
I dont know, but you can get a really nice 1080p 3d projector and screen for 150 bucks less than that.

If you were to shoot a 75 inch sized picture it would look OUTSTANDING......you could also do a 150 inch picture that looks really really good........

Good luck!

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-pedestal.html

Theater house build.....https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...hed-house.html
post #3 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I dont know, but you can get a really nice 1080p 3d projector and screen for 150 bucks less than that.

If you were to shoot a 75 inch sized picture it would look OUTSTANDING......you could also do a 150 inch picture that looks really really good........

Good luck!
Could you game XboxOne on that projector?
unretarded likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Sure, I am not sure of the latency, but people game on PJ`s all the time.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-pedestal.html

Theater house build.....https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...hed-house.html
post #5 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Sure, I am not sure of the latency, but people game on PJ`s all the time.
I game with my projector on a 106" screen and it is awesome!!
unretarded likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisipod4s View Post
KS8000 is good for daytime viewing and gaming. Very good infact. But for night time viewing it suffers from alot of light bleed and clouding. So if you're fond of watching movies in a pitch dark room it won't be the best. From one owner on youtube of both the KS8000 and the Sony X900E, he absolutely loved and still loves his KS8000, but when he was asked if he should get it, he said save up some more and get the sony x900e! it's that good! you can get the 55 inch Sony X900E for 1500 and the 49 inch for 1,200. You can check his videos on youtube he's called Quantum Apotheosis
However in the end i'll say, if you can't stretch your budget then the KS8000 is still a very good TV, and in that case let's hope you get a good panel because with this TV it's a panel lottery.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Budget is 1000 for tv. Getting new speakers also to go with new tv. I will be using Xbox one s for gaming, movies, and streaming Netflix. Also plan on getting an amazon firestick for streaming.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Budget is 1000 for tv. Getting new speakers also to go with new tv. I will be using Xbox one s for gaming, movies, and streaming Netflix. Also plan on getting an amazon firestick for streaming.
Then in that case the KS8000 will suit you just fine man! It's a great TV in honesty. And incase you end up not liking it you can always return it right? For HDR you won't find a better one, i'm assuming HDR is a priority?
post #9 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Then in that case the KS8000 will suit you just fine man! It's a great TV in honesty. And incase you end up not liking it you can always return it right? For HDR you won't find a better one, i'm assuming HDR is a priority?
HDR is a priority. But overall picture quality is #1. Not sure about returns. Price is off eBay seller is buydig and didn't see them on Samsungs authorized dealer page.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDR is a priority. But overall picture quality is #1. Not sure about returns. Price is off eBay seller is buydig and didn't see them on Samsungs authorized dealer page.
Vizio P-Series is another set you could check out, although i won't get as bright as ks8000 meaning it won't have good HDR, and also it will be worse at upscaling lower resolution content such as dvd's, but it has full array local dimming meaning better performance in the dark. So it comes down to when will most of your usage be? If you'll use the tv in the daytime go with the KS8000, and if you'll use it in the dark at night go with the Vizio P-Series. And also make sure the seller on ebay is an authorised seller man, and don't buy a used set
post #11 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i meant to say it wont have 'as good' HDR, it will still be good especially in a dim lit room but just not as good as the KS8000 in a bright room
post #12 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

My wife watches during the day. I usually watch evenings and night but with lights on. Mostly Netflix
post #13 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy and viewed the ks8000 and looks very good saw some Vizio ones as well but I think it was the M series? I liked most
post #14 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

in the end, here is my summary for you, between these two, get the ks8000 if you watch mainly in a bright room, and if you watch alot of lower quality content such as 480 p and 720p content as well as blu rays and 4k blu ray, and get the Vizio P series if your usage is mostly in the night or in a dimly lit room, and if you mostly watch content that is 1080p or higher since it doesnt do very well with lower resolution content. Now my opinion and friendly advice: Incase it is possible for you, save some extra money, even if it takes you some time and means you have to wait a bit longer for a TV, save the money, about 500 more and get the Sony X900E 55 inch! or just about 200 more and get the 49 inch. why? It will keep you more than happy and satisfied for years to come! Just check the reviews and owners comments on it. It is a keeper! and it is good for daytime as well as nighttime use. Now that's if you can do it. If you can't then you're choice are the samsung and the vizio p series. I have laid out for you the pros and cons for each. Now you know best your preferences.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As for the vizio not bother with the m series just the p. But you know after seeing your preferences, if you can't save up for the Sony X900E, get the ks8000
post #16 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

because the 55 inch vizio p series uses an ips panel i forgot, which means better viewing angles, but worse picture quality i.e worse blacks and worse contrast
post #17 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
because the 55 inch vizio p series uses an ips panel i forgot, which means better viewing angles, but worse picture quality i.e worse blacks and worse contrast
Don't know what an ips panel is gonna look it up but would you cross the 55 inch Visio off the list then? What does the 60 have a different one?
post #18 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Also thank all of you guys for your info thus far. Very helpful
post #19 of 28 Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
KS8000 is good for daytime viewing and gaming. Very good infact. But for night time viewing it suffers from alot of light bleed and clouding. So if you're fond of watching movies in a pitch dark room it won't be the best. From one owner on youtube of both the KS8000 and the Sony X900E, he absolutely loved and still loves his KS8000, but when he was asked if he should get it, he said save up some more and get the sony x900e! it's that good! you can get the 55 inch Sony X900E for 1500 and the 49 inch for 1,200. You can check his videos on youtube he's called Quantum Apotheosis
However in the end i'll say, if you can't stretch your budget then the KS8000 is still a very good TV, and in that case let's hope you get a good panel because with this TV it's a panel lottery.
Have you ever owned a KS8000? Light bleed is indicative of a defective panel, but the TV will show vertical columns of light with white text on a black screen, and minor blooming. Contrary to what you said, because I HAVE owned one, there is not a lot of bleeding and clouding. Not if you have a non-defective TV. There is some blooming in very specific circumstances, typically visible when you have a bright object on a dark scene. A torture test for this was the night scene on the buggy boys episode of The Grand Tour, during the night scenes. A defective panel will have a lot of bleeding. A good panel will have blooming and some loss of the dark surround, but it's only minor. It's an intrinsic weakness of the bottom edge-lit TVs.
But, to say "alot" makes it seem like you either had a defective panel and are using that as your opinion, or you've never owned one and are parroting what you read online. Either way, it's not particularly helpful.

Last edited by audacious nick; 05-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
Have you ever owned a KS8000? Light bleed is indicative of a defective panel, but the TV will show vertical columns of light with white text on a black screen, and minor blooming. Contrary to what you said, because I HAVE owned one, there is not a lot of bleeding and clouding. Not if you have a non-defective TV. There is some blooming in very specific circumstances, typically visible when you have a bright object on a dark scene. A torture test for this was the night scene on the buggy boys episode of The Grand Tour, during the night scenes. A defective panel will have a lot of bleeding. A good panel will have blooming and some loss of the dark surround, but it's only minor. It's an intrinsic weakness of the bottom edge-lit TVs.
But, to say "alot" makes it seem like you either had a defective panel and are using that as your opinion, or you've never owned one and are parroting what you read online. Either way, it's not particularly helpful.
Oh you followed me here! Its great to see i officially have a stalker! 2 previous threads you followed me and accused me of two different things, each of those threads i refuted you based on facts with long messages, none of those you replied to! And now you follow me here, im not longer going to dignify you with a response. It is a known fact that the Samsung KS8000 and every edge-lit tv suffers from clouding and light bleeding into the letterbox bars especially while watching movies in the dark. i'll give you one quote from flatpanelshd.com "HDR picture quality is held back by the fact that KS8000 cannot control light locally. The TV is utilizing edge LED and the diodes are placed on top and bottom of the LCD panel so the TV has very limited control. What it can do is to control light output in vertical bands (that do not extend all the way from top to bottom), which in practice causes bright elements to "bleed" over into parts of the image that were not intended to be illuminated." And the forums are filled with owners complaining of light bleed and clouding, i'll quote some, 'I know that light bleed is an unavoidable phenomenon, but my question to the experts here is "how much is too much"? I received my KS8000 60" two weeks ago, and it suffers from fairly significant light bleed on the right side. Now, under most conditions and most content it is not noticeable. But it is noticeable sometimes in letterboxes, and also during some very dark scenes. It's always there in black menu backgrounds. I've lowered the backlight as much as I think is acceptable (10 in my room), and am using Smart LED (low or high looks the same...I've left it on low per Samsung). Currently the picture mode is Natural, but the bleed is there in Natural, Standard and Movie.' Another one, 'I think that is what drives me nuts. I can make it tolerable for standard content but when HDR kicks in and doesn't have black bars at the top and bottom then it ruins the picture because my eye is drawn to the light bar at the bottom of the screen.' Another one, 'I'm on my third un60ks8000, I wish any of them were this good 😞. Seriously, everyone I've bought and exchanged has had light bleed visible in bright and dark scenes. Especially along the bottom, a constant half inch thick line of light that distorts the picture. I have until the 30th to return my current one to best buy. I just contacted Samsung and am waiting to hear if they will send someone to replace the panel. Otherwise I think I'm done playing the lottery, packing up and returning 3 60 inch TV's in a month is too much.' These are all from different forums, and there are more reviewers who speak about this with edge-lit TVs. It's such a widely known thing that i'm shocked you tried to deny it, it just proves you're just full of hate for me for some reason and youre just looking to counter everything i say, my friend i always speak from facts, and i challenge you to confront me using facts! Please have some dignity now and stop this. I will repeat again as i already said, it is a panel lottery, some panels will be better than others! And i will repear again, for Chrisipod4s, if he can't get the X900E then he should without a doubt get the KS8000, it's a great set as i've said before. And since he doesn't use the TV in the dark, mainly he said his wife uses in the day and him at night but with the lights on, in that case the light bleed won't be too much of a problem.
post #21 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So your statement that light bleed is only in defective panels has been proven wrong, it is there in every edge-lit TV and it's worse in defective panels.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
My wife watches during the day. I usually watch evenings and night but with lights on. Mostly Netflix
KS will be good fit. If your room is lit at night, the KS will have little to no drawbacks.

Also, even if you watched in a completely dark room, I can think of no other choice under $1000. The Vizio 55 will be an IPS panel (so not as good blacks) and the 50 inch version would be a 60 Hz panel. With the KS, you will get a very large color gamut, very high peek brightness and very low latency in both HDR and SDR. Its drawbacks are its bottom edge lighting. This usually only causes problems on movie credits and in some scenes the black bars in movies but not actual content. For SDR (when TVs back light is usually set low, around 4), this can be mitigated almost completely with bias lighting or a lit room as you stated you use at night - in SDR, even movie credits on a completely black background does not show much if any blooming on my KS8000 at night with bias lighting and none during day viewing. For HDR (when the TV's back light is at max, 20, setting) some blooming will still show in the black bars, even with bias lighting, but I do not notice it in actual content.

Also and added benefit, you will get HDR10+ (dynamic HDR10) for streaming by Summer/end of year and it is possible (probably not likely) it could come to the HDMI port also.
sahil0909 likes this.

Last edited by checker9; 05-20-2017 at 06:48 AM.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 254
@sahil0909

@audacious nick

Can ya'll two just rent a hotel room at this point and just make some sweet love to each other?
I'll even in donate some money to pay for dinner haha lol

you guys are funny!!
post #24 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
@sahil0909

@audacious nick

Can ya'll two just rent a hotel room at this point and just make some sweet love to each other?
I'll even in donate some money to pay for dinner haha lol

you guys are funny!!
I just want him to stop making **** up that he has no experience with, and to learn how to read an opening post. He fails at both of these things, and he's parroting things from the internet that he has zero experience with. This is the exact reason for misinformation, and it's his own fault for not knowing any better. Once he can achieve both of these things, I really won't have a problem with him. As it is, though, he is worse than a member that doesn't contribute anything.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The 55KS8000 is a tremendous TV for the money. If you get one with problematic edge light bleed make them replace it. I bought a 49KS8000 for some $40 less and I am really happy with it. Mine has no bleed. I am using it as a PC monitor. A 55 inch would have been a bit much for the desk.
post #26 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
NO, end of story. Buy it. Basically you should ask yourself what other 1400nit TV can I get for $900, answser: NONE.

Buy it and enjoy, it will rock HDR and pretty much everything else.

Spoiler!
post #27 of 28 Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The upcoming TCL-P is close enough from release to consider waiting. It MAY be at or above 1000 nits and 72 zone FALD with a built in ROKU and could be in your range at 65" depending on how aggressive TCL goes.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My last post over her and anywhere to you, if you were right, you would have replied and refuted me about what i said, rather you called me names and that's okay. The same thing on the previous two forums where you trolled me on my comments which i gave with facts, and when again in both i hit back with facts you dissapeared. i'm done now. have a good one, take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page