AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL 2017 Sony X850E Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

156K views 616 replies 165 participants last post by  msa4033 
#1 ·
Figured I would start a thread for this seemingly overlooked set. Since February of 2016 I have owned a 65X850C, a 65X850D and now own the 65X850E. Every single issue or complaint I had with previous 2 TV's are non-existent with this set IMO.

Sony X850E Series

First off, the performance of the TV is much improved. Not sure whether the 7.0 Android TV update is responsible or if the upgraded Quad-Core SoC (MT5891/Mali-T860 MP2) is. Confident they both contribute to a much better user experience.

The only thing I don't like is that Enhanced HDMI is only available on port 2 and port 3. Port 3 also happens to be the ARC supporting HDMI port.

Other than that, I personally feel this TV is a HUGE improvement over the two previous X850 sets.

Ask questions, post impressions, keep it friendly.

#3 ·
75" 850E VA or IPS panel?

Figured I would start a thread for this seemingly overlooked set. Since February of 2016 I have owned a 65X850C, a 65X850D and now own the 65X850E. Every single issue or complaint I had with previous 2 TV's are non-existent with this set IMO.

Other than that, I personally feel this TV is a HUGE improvement over the two previous X850 sets.

Ask questions, post impressions, keep it friendly.
We are still waiting for the 2017 Sony range to be released in Australia.

I thought all of the 850E series were going to be VA panels this year but according to RTings, the 75" is an IPS panel again. Can anyone confirm if this what type of panel is used in the 75" 850E?

#4 ·
We are still waiting for the 2017 Sony range to be released in Australia.

I thought all of the 850E series were going to be VA panels this year but according to RTings, the 75" is an IPS panel again. Can anyone confirm if this what type of panel is used in the 75" 850E?
Seems that the 75" is indeed an IPS panel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Yeah, having spent the past year and a half with both the 65X850C and 65X850D, I can say that the 65X850E is superiour to both. With that in mind, I am only referring to my experience with the 65" version of these Tv's. Bigger sizes from past years and this year may use different panel tech and honestly I'd rather have a higher contrast ratio with the VA panel in this year's than the IPS from last year.

#12 ·
I'm looking at either a 65" 850E or 65" 900E for a bedroom. I have a few 850D's and I'm happy with them except for the poor black levels. How much better are the 850E black levels compared to the 850D? With the BB sale going in it looks like the 900E is an extra $500, but it sounds like it might be worth it?

#21 ·
Well, TCL has been putting out some impressive sets as of late. It definitely seems to perform great and has features that are usually reserved for higher-end Tv's. Worse case scenario, buy it and see which one you like more.

#36 ·
Gents, new xbr75x850e owner here, and I am about to throw it out of my window. (Kidding, mostly.)

I am having trouble getting this TV to send 5.1 sound to my AVR (Denon s920W) when streaming netflix or amazon. (I am told that Amazon does not yet offer 5.1, but not entirely sure.)

I have tried this a few different ways ...

1. Ethernet to Sony and use native Sony apps. (Playstation Vue sound works fine, as does NON 5.1 sound in Netflix, but audio skips likecrazy in Netflix 5.1 and Amazon.)

2. After reading about issues with native apps, I went and bought a Roku premier+ and now have it set up with ethernet, HDMI out to my 850e, and even the roku apps have the same audio issues.

I am using hdmi over ARC between my TV and AVR and also have an optical cable plugged in as well.

Can someone please help me, I am beyond frustrated. Thank you!

#38 ·
On the street the price difference is $800. If this is a long term TV like 3 years or more, that extra $800 is worth it more and more as time goes......

#41 ·
Black levels and brightness help

I've read the reviews of the xbr75x850e, and compared it to the x900e and others including OLED. My problem is they are mostly based on test results, measured brightness and specifications. When I visit the showroom, I'm hard pressed to see any visual differences from this set to the next. It's not helpful that they all run different demo reels, of course. AT this time, I'm comparing the 850e to the 900, but even side-by-side I could not tell one from the other with actual video (not test patterns).

I did note the 75x850e seems to do skin very well, night scenes, fireworks, and shadows seem very good, while watching the 15 minute loops; I looked for "brightness" in the sky, clouds, and sunlit scenes, and again could not see any difference to the 900 and other sets nearby.

Is there a scene, or even a youtube test loop, that highlights the $1000 advantage a 900 would have over the 850e? Thanks!

#42 · (Edited)
I've read the reviews of the xbr75x850e, and compared it to the x900e and others including OLED. My problem is they are mostly based on test results, measured brightness and specifications. When I visit the showroom, I'm hard pressed to see any visual differences from this set to the next. It's not helpful that they all run different demo reels, of course. AT this time, I'm comparing the 850e to the 900, but even side-by-side I could not tell one from the other with actual video (not test patterns).

I did note the 75x850e seems to do skin very well, night scenes, fireworks, and shadows seem very good, while watching the 15 minute loops; I looked for "brightness" in the sky, clouds, and sunlit scenes, and again could not see any difference to the 900 and other sets nearby.

Is there a scene, or even a youtube test loop, that highlights the $1000 advantage a 900 would have over the 850e? Thanks!
With regular broadcasting material there should be no real difference between the two tbh.

It should however make a great difference with HDR/HGL material because of its peak brightness ...900e has double the brightness. Dimming/led backlight is also very different.... FALD vs Edge lit with no local dimming, you can see the big difference when watching it in the dark conditions :wink: I really wanted to go with a 65 inch 850X it was the same price as 55 inch 900E, but FALD makes it worthy in the putch black room, just no competition there. :D

Reactions: shelby2012
#43 ·
TV or receiver? Netflix audio randomly not playing

Okay, so i have a new Sony Bravia 65 850E as well as a new receiver, the Sony strdh770. I have everything set up with hdmi. At first everything worked perfectly, or so i thought, because randomly netflix will not send out audio to the receiver. Sometimes it works just fine....i switch from watching comcast to Netflix, i see the receiver display switch to TV, then i start watching a netflix show and no audio. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Could this be as simple as needing a new hdmi cord? I think the one i am using id probably 5 years old but everyone i talked to told me that shouldn't matter.

Any advice here? After work im picking up a new hdmi, but assuming that doesn't work?

Netflix makes up about 80% of our tv watching so this is kind of a huge hassle

#46 ·
Yessir!

Improvements over version PKG6.2414.0040NAA:

-Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops

-Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync

-Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content

#47 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm currently considering one of these TVs. I have a 55xbr850b and overall its a decent performer, with some issues (moderate clouding, poor brightness, not great black levels). But I do like sony and I really like android tv.

I just moved and unfortunately there's no room to put a proper theater (I had a 110" screen setup in my old house) so I'm considering either a 75" 850e or a 65" 900e.

The fact some people are saying the 65" 850e is better than the 75" is disappointing. I usually watch with some lights on, but given this will be a projector replacement I will be watching movies on the set in the darkness. I'm just not sure I'll be happy going down to a 65" screen after the 110".

I may still try to shoehorn a projector setup, but the max screen size I could go is 92" and I would still have an issue with speaker placement :(

Anyone else that pulled the trigger on a 65 instead of a 75, and especially the 900e vs the 850e, I would appreciate your insight!

#48 ·
Baloo, I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat in trying to decide between a 65 or 75. I have a large room and currently have a 55. I think I'm going to go 75 cause that big screen is hard to pass up.

#63 ·
You know that is the correct answer...75". You buy the 65" in about 2 months the hunt will start all over again, this time for the 75", then the 65" becomes the bedroom TV ;)

#49 ·
Minor update, Tech Radar has reviewed the 65" model. Pretty much sums up how I feel about this TV as well.

Tech Radar review of Sony 65X850E

By introducing its exceptional video processing further down its TV range than ever before and being brave enough to dial down the brightness a bit to deliver a more even, immersive backlight experience, Sony's struck mid-range gold with the X850E Series.

Sure, in an ideal world we’d get a bit more brightness to go with its impressive, even black level response. And we’d also get a more efficient, effective smart TV engine than Android TV. Ideal worlds, though, are hard to come by.

The simple fact is that few TVs we’ve seen in recent times have balanced price, contrast, brightness and color quite so all-round effectively as the 65X850E.

#50 ·
I have a 65X850C and think the TV struggles in the CPU department. The home screen can be ultra laggy at times, and the Amazon app almost always stutters. Sometimes other streaming apps stutter as well, but Amazon seems to be the worst.

Was curious if anyone has had experience with the 850C and also the 850E. Is the processor better? Any stuttering with streaming apps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.