Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 542Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 3292 Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Since the last firmware update I've had an issue when Chromecasting from my PC to the TV (M50-E1). When casting a 1080p stream from a website (which used to work fine a few weeks ago), the TV crops the left and right sides of the image, then stretches out what's left to fill the screen. When I hit the Aspect Ratio button on the remote, the TV shows this message: "Normal is the optimal wide mode and cannot be changed."

The way I've worked around it is to not play the video fullscreen -- the whole web browser displays on the TV and the video is only about 1/4 of my screen, but at least the aspect ratio is right and nothing's getting squashed or stretched. Anyone else having this issue?
blurayboy2121 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 3292 Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
Yes, calibrated dark with GLL on. According to ratings.com GLL mode on gives you the low input lag. The review shows all the different input lag results for different resolutions.
Okay thanks! I wasn't sure if ratings.com's reference to game mode meant the "Game" picture mode or GLL. I assumed it was the game picture mode... but maybe turning GLL on other picture modes achieves the same results?

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR353 || Xbox One S || Apple TV 4k
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-SR373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Mitsubishi WD-82738 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Roku Premiere+
David Biagas is offline  
post #3063 of 3292 Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnQore View Post
I've been using Computer picture mode for the lowest input lag of 47ms. This mode brings the lowest input lag since it enables the 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling. Make sure you have your Xbox set to 8bit Standard Color space with YCC 422 unchecked. Also uncheck HDR if you want this lowest input delay for all games!


Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk
Okay, so the settings above should get me the input lag quoted by rtings below (with the exception of the hdr check)?
"4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 47.1 ms"

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR353 || Xbox One S || Apple TV 4k
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-SR373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Mitsubishi WD-82738 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Roku Premiere+
David Biagas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3064 of 3292 Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like a slightly lower lag can be achieved on the 2016 model with the same settings (4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 43.8 ms)....
though you can get around 17 ms on hdmi 5 in the following settings (1080p @ 60Hz : 17.1 ms, 1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 16.9 ms, 4k @ 60Hz : 16.7 ms).

Which of those 3 settings would you recommend for the 2016 model?
I'd hate to give up hdr on the one x...but maybe one of those three will give me comparable pq?

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR353 || Xbox One S || Apple TV 4k
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-SR373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Mitsubishi WD-82738 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Roku Premiere+
David Biagas is offline  
post #3065 of 3292 Old 08-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Member
 
Detonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the "Computer" color temperature have any side effects to the color range/etc compared to Normal or Cool? Using the recommended calibration settings, skin tones look unnatural, especially in lighting. They're too saturated and often show some red artifacts/glow. Changing the color temperature to cool or computer solves this. Computer looks better than cool which is a little too blue for my liking, but is using computer for regular TV/Blu-ray/Xbox content not a good idea?
Detonation is offline  
post #3066 of 3292 Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
Does the "Computer" color temperature have any side effects to the color range/etc compared to Normal or Cool? Using the recommended calibration settings, skin tones look unnatural, especially in lighting. They're too saturated and often show some red artifacts/glow. Changing the color temperature to cool or computer solves this. Computer looks better than cool which is a little too blue for my liking, but is using computer for regular TV/Blu-ray/Xbox content not a good idea?
It's all preference, but the computer setting is not intended for watching movies
AVS Commenter is offline  
post #3067 of 3292 Old 09-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Bigchingan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 2017 Vizio M75-E1 last fall and put it in my barely used basement. I've started to actually do stuff with it in the last month and have noticed serious backlight and color inconsistencies that may or may not be normal, so I wanted to check with other owners or those familiar with these types of sets before I initiate any type of return or warranty repair. This TV is a LED backlit with multiple dimming zones (cannot remember how many, but not as many as the P-Series)

Symptoms :

1) Solid colors look terrible and are inconsistent across the entire screen
2) When there is a contrasting color, especially with motion, I see a halo or ghosting effect around it. For example, moving white lettering on a black background will have a halo surrounding it, and it's always fluctuating
3) I get a random flicker about once every 60 seconds that lasts for less than a second. More like a random flash or artifact. This is only happening with HDMI sources on the 4K HDR Input

This thing was a nightmare to transport and get installed, so I keep hoping there's a software fix for this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone was familiar with similar issues. I've never owned a local dimming LED set before (all plasma and edge lit before), so I'm not sure if the ghosting and backlight/color inconsistencies are just something that I need to live with. I purchased from Costco and have like another 5 years of coverage between the costco CC and squaretrade.
Bigchingan is offline  
post #3068 of 3292 Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchingan View Post
I bought a 2017 Vizio M75-E1 last fall and put it in my barely used basement. I've started to actually do stuff with it in the last month and have noticed serious backlight and color inconsistencies that may or may not be normal, so I wanted to check with other owners or those familiar with these types of sets before I initiate any type of return or warranty repair. This TV is a LED backlit with multiple dimming zones (cannot remember how many, but not as many as the P-Series)

Symptoms :

1) Solid colors look terrible and are inconsistent across the entire screen
2) When there is a contrasting color, especially with motion, I see a halo or ghosting effect around it. For example, moving white lettering on a black background will have a halo surrounding it, and it's always fluctuating
3) I get a random flicker about once every 60 seconds that lasts for less than a second. More like a random flash or artifact. This is only happening with HDMI sources on the 4K HDR Input

This thing was a nightmare to transport and get installed, so I keep hoping there's a software fix for this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone was familiar with similar issues. I've never owned a local dimming LED set before (all plasma and edge lit before), so I'm not sure if the ghosting and backlight/color inconsistencies are just something that I need to live with. I purchased from Costco and have like another 5 years of coverage between the costco CC and squaretrade.

Are u going from an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) to TV for Input 1 or directly to TV from source?


Many have experienced issues going from AVR to input 1 because of compatibility issues and some because receiver says 4K HDR pass through and come to find it is not.


In order to better help, it would be good if u listed sources, AVR and how u r hooked up to the tv.
NoUDont is offline  
post #3069 of 3292 Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Dolby Vision

I am definitely seeing the blacks get purpled out while watching smartcast material (Amazon Prime and Netflix using button from remote) that have Dolby Vision.


Latest is while watching new Jack Ryan show on Prime (4K UHD Dolby Vision). Very distracting and annoying. Anyone else have this issue?
NoUDont is offline  
post #3070 of 3292 Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bigchigan, I'd start by being sure to use the settings at ratings.com and be sure to turn off any motion enhancement and black frame insertion.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #3071 of 3292 Old 09-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Member
 
multiformous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Anyone have any opinions on how Dolby Vision is implemented on this set compared to HDR10 versions of the same content? I don't stream, but I've watched a few UHD discs with Dolby Vision with my OPPO UDP-203. Dolby Vision discs default to that mode, but you can force HDR10 from the disc as well. Also, a firmware update a couple months ago enabled Dolby Vision conversion for SDR Blu-Ray and HDR10 UHD discs, as well as for files in the MP4 format.


I have these HDR10 test patterns and figured I'd convert the MP4 files from HDR10 to Dolby Vision to see what it was like. I don't have any meters or anything, so it's a pretty basic test. The main difference I can see is that converting HDR10 black clipping test patterns to Dolby Vision appears to crush detail on my M55-E0 below 3.5% stimulus. The same goes for colour clipping in the shadow detail. White clipping patterns don't seem to be affected. Hard to know if this has something to do with the TV's internal Dolby Vision processing or whatever, or if it's something to do with the conversion.


If I play a Dolby Vision disc and force it to play only the HDR10 base layer, I could swear for some titles that there is ever so slightly more discernible shadow detail. One I tested recently was The Hunt For Red October. It's hard to compare back and forth because switching between Dolby Vision and HDR10 requires stopping playback entirely.


Anyone else have experience/opinions on this? I know every movie/TV show is going to be different, but the thing is with the test patterns the shadow detail is there in HDR10 and not there once converted to Dolby Vision. And I don't have any dedicated test patterns authored in Dolby Vision, so that's another missing variable.

Vizio M55-E0 / Onkyo TX-SR706 / OPPO UDP-203 / Playstation 4
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Prime Center, JBL ES30 (rear), SVS PB-1000
multiformous is offline  
post #3072 of 3292 Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,623
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiformous View Post
Anyone have any opinions on how Dolby Vision is implemented on this set compared to HDR10 versions of the same content? I don't stream, but I've watched a few UHD discs with Dolby Vision with my OPPO UDP-203. Dolby Vision discs default to that mode, but you can force HDR10 from the disc as well. Also, a firmware update a couple months ago enabled Dolby Vision conversion for SDR Blu-Ray and HDR10 UHD discs, as well as for files in the MP4 format.


I have these HDR10 test patterns and figured I'd convert the MP4 files from HDR10 to Dolby Vision to see what it was like. I don't have any meters or anything, so it's a pretty basic test. The main difference I can see is that converting HDR10 black clipping test patterns to Dolby Vision appears to crush detail on my M55-E0 below 3.5% stimulus. The same goes for colour clipping in the shadow detail. White clipping patterns don't seem to be affected. Hard to know if this has something to do with the TV's internal Dolby Vision processing or whatever, or if it's something to do with the conversion.


If I play a Dolby Vision disc and force it to play only the HDR10 base layer, I could swear for some titles that there is ever so slightly more discernible shadow detail. One I tested recently was The Hunt For Red October. It's hard to compare back and forth because switching between Dolby Vision and HDR10 requires stopping playback entirely.


Anyone else have experience/opinions on this? I know every movie/TV show is going to be different, but the thing is with the test patterns the shadow detail is there in HDR10 and not there once converted to Dolby Vision. And I don't have any dedicated test patterns authored in Dolby Vision, so that's another missing variable.
The way it is supposed to work is that DV encoded discs will display exactly as the director/film/video editors intended. This is of course if your display is correct calibrated in the first place. I have a couple Oppo 20xs also that do the "magic". I kinda wish with the SDR>DV that you could select HDR10 instead just to be able to play around. Anything being converted from HDR10>DV is going to just be an approximation. In theory (and according to specs) DV has a greater amount of color saturation, but in reality few displays can take advantage of it.

Personally I have not seen much of a difference between streaming DV and HDR content. It all looks like crap compared to ANY HD disc played by the Oppo. Besides the AQ is far superior also.

I hope they get around to doing the DV/HDR magic from the HDMI input since I mostly watch TV via. a Comcast 4k box connected to that input. I can get HDR10 but not DV but very little content outside of Netflix is in HDR on Craptastic at this point. I have mac enjoyed the DV magic with my BD and HD-dvd collection. It's breathed new life into those and I'm not buying as much 4k titles now. I only pick up 4k in newer releases that I just have to have in 4k. Ready Player One I got the cheeper BD an it looks just fine with the magic. I know the 4k would be a bit better, but...

There is a striking difference between SDR Netflix and HDR10 but as I said I haven't been able to see much difference streaming with the TV in DV. I think it actually looks much better to me through the Oppo and just HDR10 than either from the TV. The streamer and PQ that Vizio provides with the built in "cast" app is not that great IMOHO.

Oh and yes you are going to see overall improvement with HDR10 if that is what you are into since DV will do whatever the director intended...which might be something that you don't agree with or that looks better to you with HDR. Of course with the Oppo magic that is not possible and they just brighten everything up???
mr.kludge is offline  
post #3073 of 3292 Old 09-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
azz7686's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Have not used this TV for a while and today I find this watch free tv on here. Cool and all but on their website it shows channel numbers and a guide? How does that work I tried all buttons and even the phone app?


Not correct in assuming maybe, any info would be great and this might influence me on replacing my samsung 65 in the living room

Spoiler!
azz7686 is offline  
post #3074 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Input quality changes

Am I understanding this right?

Vizio main TV can play Vision Dolby but no other input can?

TV (Plays every input - Vision, etc)
HDMI 1 - Telus PikTV Media box (Only plays UHD)

Is this known?
viziooooo is offline  
post #3075 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Member
 
atfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boiling Springs, South Carolina USA
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by viziooooo View Post
Am I understanding this right?

Vizio main TV can play Vision Dolby but no other input can?

TV (Plays every input - Vision, etc)
HDMI 1 - Telus PikTV Media box (Only plays UHD)

Is this known?
Of the 2017 M-Series' four HDMI ports only one, Input 1, supports HDMI 2.0a. The other three, inputs 2 through 4, support HDMI 1.4, and you have to engage the "Full UHD color" feature in the Vizio menu for HDMI 1 to display HDR/DV.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
atfree is offline  
post #3076 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 82
all inputs can do HDR and DV. But only HDMI 1 can do it at 60 FPS
shoman94 and klocker like this.
AVS Commenter is offline  
post #3077 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiformous View Post
Anyone have any opinions on how Dolby Vision is implemented on this set compared to HDR10 versions of the same content? I don't stream, but I've watched a few UHD discs with Dolby Vision with my OPPO UDP-203. Dolby Vision discs default to that mode, but you can force HDR10 from the disc as well. Also, a firmware update a couple months ago enabled Dolby Vision conversion for SDR Blu-Ray and HDR10 UHD discs, as well as for files in the MP4 format.


I have these HDR10 test patterns and figured I'd convert the MP4 files from HDR10 to Dolby Vision to see what it was like. I don't have any meters or anything, so it's a pretty basic test. The main difference I can see is that converting HDR10 black clipping test patterns to Dolby Vision appears to crush detail on my M55-E0 below 3.5% stimulus. The same goes for colour clipping in the shadow detail. White clipping patterns don't seem to be affected. Hard to know if this has something to do with the TV's internal Dolby Vision processing or whatever, or if it's something to do with the conversion.


If I play a Dolby Vision disc and force it to play only the HDR10 base layer, I could swear for some titles that there is ever so slightly more discernible shadow detail. One I tested recently was The Hunt For Red October. It's hard to compare back and forth because switching between Dolby Vision and HDR10 requires stopping playback entirely.


Anyone else have experience/opinions on this? I know every movie/TV show is going to be different, but the thing is with the test patterns the shadow detail is there in HDR10 and not there once converted to Dolby Vision. And I don't have any dedicated test patterns authored in Dolby Vision, so that's another missing variable.

1. when u say u can force the disc to go from DV to HDR10 u mean that is a feature on ur Oppo? also the feature that converts SDR and HDR 10 from blurays, UHD discs and mp4's is also a feature that is on ur Oppo?

2. i have found that shows that have DV from Netflix and Prime when using the tv's stream apps have a purple crush on the blacks. quite distracting. this is using the settings from rtings.com and sound and vision. i never noticed that before. i wonder if it happened after an update.
NoUDont is offline  
post #3078 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Have not used this TV for a while and today I find this watch free tv on here. Cool and all but on their website it shows channel numbers and a guide? How does that work I tried all buttons and even the phone app?


Not correct in assuming maybe, any info would be great and this might influence me on replacing my samsung 65 in the living room
To Exit WatchFree: You will need to switch inputs on the TV.
To Pull up the Guide on the WatchFree App: Press the 'Left' arrow key on the remote.
To Access Parental Controls: Press the dash button " - " on the VIZIO remote. This button is located in the lower right corner. If no pin has been set it will ask you to create one. Once a pin is set you can adjust the content ratings for Shows, Movies, and Unrated content. You will also need to turn On parental controls in order for them to take effect.
azz7686 likes this.
VizioService is offline  
post #3079 of 3292 Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Member
 
multiformous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
1. when u say u can force the disc to go from DV to HDR10 u mean that is a feature on ur Oppo? also the feature that converts SDR and HDR 10 from blurays, UHD discs and mp4's is also a feature that is on ur Oppo?

2. i have found that shows that have DV from Netflix and Prime when using the tv's stream apps have a purple crush on the blacks. quite distracting. this is using the settings from rtings.com and sound and vision. i never noticed that before. i wonder if it happened after an update.
Dolby Vision UHD discs are HDR10 with a Dolby Vision enhancement layer. These discs default to Dolby Vision output if the player and TV support it. In this case, they do. But you can also force the OPPO to output the standard HDR10 layer on the disc, as though the TV weren't compatible with Dolby Vision. This isn't a conversion; it's how the disc would play normally in HDR on a non-Dolby Vision system.



The player can also convert UHD BDs that are only in HDR10 to Dolby Vision. The same goes for ol' HD BDs and files in MP4 format that are SDR. Not sure exactly what happens with HDR10 is converted to Dolby Vision besides forcing the TV into Dolby Vision mode, which will handle content differently depending on how it is implemented by the manufacture in conjunction with Dolby certification. Converting a standard BD or other SDR file to Dolby Vision basically give you an SDR to HDR conversion.



My question isn't really about the conversion, or the benefits of the Dolby Vision UHD BDs over their basic HDR10 versions. I'm curious as to how Dolby Vision (dynamic metadata and 12-bit video notwithstanding) is handled compared to HDR10 on this particular set. One might assume the latter would result in a more accurate presentation of creators' intent, but do we know that? Can we know that?

Vizio M55-E0 / Onkyo TX-SR706 / OPPO UDP-203 / Playstation 4
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Prime Center, JBL ES30 (rear), SVS PB-1000
multiformous is offline  
post #3080 of 3292 Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I mainly stream 4k through my Apple TV. So, while I"m not using a a BD player, I am getting 4K through the HDMI port. IMO, the DV content is more demo worthy than the stuff I've seen in reg HDR
AVS Commenter is offline  
post #3081 of 3292 Old 09-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
After close to a month of using my new m75 e 2017 model, I am loving it. 4k and hdr content just looks amazing. Glad I pulled the trigger at Costco on this bad boy. Uniformity is awesome on my set making football and Xbox 1X gaming look outstanding. New Forza horizon 4 demo is unbelievable.
sk373 likes this.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #3082 of 3292 Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Member
 
jpolachak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am hoping someone can help me here. I have a 2017 or 2016 70" Vizio m series. (think 2017)

When I use the built in netflix app on the tv why are all the scenes so dark? I tried to watch "ozark" season 1 the other day and I could barely make out 50% of the screen. This is the first time I thought there is no way this is supposed to look like this. Then I thought about it and a lost of the netflix material especially the new dolby vision hdr stuff is dark. Is this my TV or is it the app?

I did some googling and tried things people mentioned but nothign seemed to make the whole picture better. I tried to see if I could disable dolbyvision or hdr but I didnt see where I could do that.
jpolachak is offline  
post #3083 of 3292 Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I own a M70-D3 hooked to a Roku streaming stick+ on hdmi 1. When I stream HDR 4k content on youtube with the roku I get flicker every once and a while. I watched Jack Ryan in HDR through Amazon and did not have the issue. Any ideas what's happening?
JetA is offline  
post #3084 of 3292 Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
I am hoping someone can help me here. I have a 2017 or 2016 70" Vizio m series. (think 2017)

When I use the built in netflix app on the tv why are all the scenes so dark? I tried to watch "ozark" season 1 the other day and I could barely make out 50% of the screen. This is the first time I thought there is no way this is supposed to look like this. Then I thought about it and a lost of the netflix material especially the new dolby vision hdr stuff is dark. Is this my TV or is it the app?

I did some googling and tried things people mentioned but nothign seemed to make the whole picture better. I tried to see if I could disable dolbyvision or hdr but I didnt see where I could do that.
What do you have the backlight set too?
I set mine all the way up to 100.
Keep brightness at 50.
I also have contrast set at 57.
Gamma at 2.2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
kizersosay28 is offline  
post #3085 of 3292 Old 09-15-2018, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
I am hoping someone can help me here. I have a 2017 or 2016 70" Vizio m series. (think 2017)

When I use the built in netflix app on the tv why are all the scenes so dark? I tried to watch "ozark" season 1 the other day and I could barely make out 50% of the screen. This is the first time I thought there is no way this is supposed to look like this. Then I thought about it and a lost of the netflix material especially the new dolby vision hdr stuff is dark. Is this my TV or is it the app?

I did some googling and tried things people mentioned but nothign seemed to make the whole picture better. I tried to see if I could disable dolbyvision or hdr but I didnt see where I could do that.
That entire show was filmed dark and gloomy, intentionally.

As stated above just turn up your backlight..how high is relevant to how dark your room is.

I have mine as

Backlight 40
Brightness 48
Contrast 52
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

*More picture*
Color temp normal
Black detail off
Xtreme Black engine plus on
Clear action off
Reduce noise off-Off
Game latency off
Film mode on
Color space auto
Gamma 2.2

Check out rtings.com and get the color calibration from them. HDR looks amazing

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #3086 of 3292 Old 09-16-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,623
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
To Exit WatchFree: You will need to switch inputs on the TV.
To Pull up the Guide on the WatchFree App: Press the 'Left' arrow key on the remote.
To Access Parental Controls: Press the dash button " - " on the VIZIO remote. This button is located in the lower right corner. If no pin has been set it will ask you to create one. Once a pin is set you can adjust the content ratings for Shows, Movies, and Unrated content. You will also need to turn On parental controls in order for them to take effect.
Thanks for posting this info. I did not know about all the controls. One you missed is up and down arrow which changes channels. Visio WatchFree is a selection of Pluto TV channels and there are a bunch of them.
azz7686 likes this.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #3087 of 3292 Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Norq79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello all. I just updated my atv to play atmos but I cannot for the life of me get atmos on my vizio m 2018 to pass from HDMI 3 through arc to my receiver. Has anyone been successful with this? My receiver only passes hdr10 so that’s why I’m trying to keep the atv connect straight to the tv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norq79 is offline  
post #3088 of 3292 Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,623
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norq79 View Post
Hello all. I just updated my atv to play atmos but I cannot for the life of me get atmos on my vizio m 2018 to pass from HDMI 3 through arc to my receiver. Has anyone been successful with this? My receiver only passes hdr10 so that’s why I’m trying to keep the atv connect straight to the tv.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Set the "Digital audio out" on the TV to "bitstream" if that is an option. You may need to select a different input on your display for the ATV. Mine is a '17 so that's the only advise I can give. You should be able to get at least DD+11.1 (lossy) which is Atmos through the ARC to your AVR, but if it isn't capable of more than HDR10 it might be too early of a model to handle Atmos through ARC. What brand and model AVR is it? Also the correct type, length and capable HDMI cables are required for all this (though ARC is implemented on a set of pins that makes it just the same as coax S/PDIF). In my case I have not had this joy yet since my Oppo (which acts sorta as front end processor to the TV) is not yet (or maybe never) capable of DD+/Atmos ARC through it's output. 6.1 is the best I have seen (mono surround back).

Also DD+/Atmos pass-thru from secondary HDMI ins on your Vizio might not be implemented as output to the ARC port that is going to your AVR. It should be and should also be easy for them to do, but even easier to screw up.

You may also need to fiddle with component power up sequence and or other resets. In my set-up ARC does not always work. It usually requires a reset of at least one component to get it going again. Kinda the stupidest piece of AV tech to be released in recent years.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 09-17-2018 at 08:23 PM.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #3089 of 3292 Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Member
 
Norq79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Set the "Digital audio out" on the TV to "bitstream" if that is an option. You may need to select a different input on your Visio for the ATV. Mine is a '17 so that's the only advise I can give. You should be able to get at least DD+11.1 (lossy) which is Atmos through the ARC to your AVR, but if it isn't capable of more than HDR10 it might be too early of a model to handle Atmos through ARC. What brand and model AVR is it? Also the correct type, length and capable HDMI cables are required for all this (though ARC is implemented on a set of pins that makes it just the same as coax S/PDIF). In my case I have not had this joy yet since my Oppo (which acts sorta as front end processor to the TV) is not yet (or maybe never) capable of DD+/Atmos ARC through it's output. 6.1 is the best I have seen (mono surround back).


I am able to send atmos through arc with the tv apps to my receiver, so I know it can work. It’s an onkyo 646. When I set it to bitstream it removed hdr from the video signal and still didn’t send an atmos signal through arc to the receiver. I’ll try a play with again in a couple of day when I have time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norq79 is offline  
post #3090 of 3292 Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,623
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norq79 View Post
I am able to send atmos through arc with the tv apps to my receiver, so I know it can work. It’s an onkyo 646. When I set it to bitstream it removed hdr from the video signal and still didn’t send an atmos signal through arc to the receiver. I’ll try a play with again in a couple of day when I have time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try a factory reset on the TV. Sounds like it's the inputs and may not be implemented or DD+/Atmos pass-thru just isn't possible. That would be strange however since I know I can input DD+ into the inputs on my '17 and it will tell me it is receiving it, but of course I don't have anything on the ARC port 1 that can handle it and if it is sending DD+ out optical S/PDIF my olden Denon AVR isn't capable (though some AVRs are). You may be relegated like me to doing all the DV streaming from the TV apps. In my case I have to since I run Rokus and they don't do DV, neither does my Comtastic 4k DVR for NF (and Amazon soon as announced).
mr.kludge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off