Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 540Likes

post #3091 of 3281 Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread

Well I tried every single setting I could possibly think but I can’t get atmos to pass from HDMI 3 through arc to my receiver. The best I can get in 5.1. When I tried bitstream my Apple TV went totally crazy. I tried it twice and had to reboot each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3281 Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norq79 View Post
Well I tried every single setting I could possibly think but I can’t get atmos to pass from HDMI 3 through arc to my receiver. The best I can get in 5.1. When I tried bitstream my Apple TV went totally crazy. I tried it twice and had to reboot each time.

Are you using the Apple TV beta?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #3093 of 3281 Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetA View Post
Hi I own a M70-D3 hooked to a Roku streaming stick+ on hdmi 1. When I stream HDR 4k content on youtube with the roku I get flicker every once and a while. I watched Jack Ryan in HDR through Amazon and did not have the issue. Any ideas what's happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3281 Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hi I own a M70-D3 hooked to a Roku streaming stick+ on hdmi 1. When I stream HDR 4k content on youtube with the roku I get flicker every once and a while. I watched Jack Ryan in HDR through Amazon and did not have the issue. Any ideas what's happening?

sorry, i read this too quickly and missed ur problem was with youtube.

i am not familiar with the roku + stick but i do know some have issues since a lot of the 4k HDR on youtube is in 60fps. does the stick automatically change from 24fps to 60fps or do u have to do it manually?

our tv's cannot smartcast youtube hdr videos. at least mine can not. i use my LG UP970 4k disc players youtube app for the 4k hdr material.
post #3095 of 3281 Old 09-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You know when you turn on the Vizio (or power it off), You hear this little 'click' sound from within the panel, before the image appears on the screen (or disappear from the screen, if you are powering it off)

So the other night i was in my living room (with my Vizio off), and i hear this same 'click' sound (as if someone had pressed on the remote to power it on)--But it remained a blank screen after the 'click' sound. That's extremely odd i thought, but i just kind of ignored it. This morning i notice the same again when the TV was off.

I have a M65-E0

Just curious if anyone has experienced this?
post #3096 of 3281 Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 AM

The roku has options to setup for 4k hdr 60fps and passes the tests. In the youtube app some videos are 60fps and some are not. It does seem the 60fps are the issue but I thought the tv supported 60fps on hdmi 1.
post #3097 of 3281 Old 09-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The roku has options to setup for 4k hdr 60fps and passes the tests. In the youtube app some videos are 60fps and some are not. It does seem the 60fps are the issue but I thought the tv supported 60fps on hdmi 1.

yes, the tv supports it. is there another way u can test it? another device that has the youtube 4k hdr app? i get no glitches on youtube with my LG hooked up to HDMI 1.
post #3098 of 3281 Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=NoUDont;56838950]
Quote:
I cannot stream youtube 4k and

sorry, i read this too quickly and missed ur problem was with youtube.

i am not familiar with the roku + stick but i do know some have issues since a lot of the 4k HDR on youtube is in 60fps. does the stick automatically change from 24fps to 60fps or do u have to do it manually?

our tv's cannot smartcast youtube hdr videos. at least mine can not. i use my LG UP970 4k disc players youtube app for the 4k hdr material.[/QUOT

I cant cast 4k YouTube to the tv and the built in app doesn't have the option
post #3099 of 3281 Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
Quote:

yes, the tv supports it. is there another way u can test it? another device that has the youtube 4k hdr app? i get no glitches on youtube with my LG hooked up to HDMI 1.
I might try my computer this weekend
post #3100 of 3281 Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM

When changing from the Smartcast input to any of the HDMI inputs--I notice some bad flickering that happens right after the input change, And then the flicker can happen randomly every other minute or so.

I was able to resolve the issue temporarily by unplugging the power off the tv, and press down the power key on the tv for 10 seconds, and then plug the power back on. But then it seems the issue would come back the next day.

Have you guys run across this before?

I have a M65-e0, on the latest fimware

Thank you
post #3101 of 3281 Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Okay so i just want to make sure...

I have the M65-E0 and an LG970 all updated. On Star Wars The Last Jedi during the "its time for the jedi to end" cave scene and when Luke is on the falcon, the black levels look terrible and have a terrible blue tint on them. This also happens sometimes on other 4k titles but not all the time.

I have swapped cables, players, and inputs.

Nobody else has this issue right?
post #3102 of 3281 Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark6789x View Post
Okay so i just want to make sure...

I have the M65-E0 and an LG970 all updated. On Star Wars The Last Jedi during the "its time for the jedi to end" cave scene and when Luke is on the falcon, the black levels look terrible and have a terrible blue tint on them. This also happens sometimes on other 4k titles but not all the time.

I have swapped cables, players, and inputs.

Nobody else has this issue right?
Yes, I have this issue. I notice it more on 4k Dolby Vision shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Have u checked HDR only 4k discs? I don’t notice it on those. I am pretty sure it’s a Dolby Vision issue.
post #3103 of 3281 Old 09-24-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
Quote:
yes, the tv supports it. is there another way u can test it? another device that
has the youtube 4k hdr app? i get no glitches on youtube with my LG hooked up to HDMI 1.
I might try my computer this weekend
I ran youtube directly from my computer to the tv on 4k. Hdr was set on from windows however did not show when pushing info on tv remote. It did look like it was in hdr as best I can tell - looked great actually. No flickers, some minor dropped frames which I only noticed from the debugger. So it must be the roku stick that is the issue, right?
post #3104 of 3281 Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vizio Issue with Split screen

I have a Vizio M50-C1 and replaced the main board due to issue with a power surge we had from a storm. It put out the power board as well. So I have them both replaced and the TV has picture again and working. The issue is our tv is stuck in what appears to be split screen. I have tried unplugging it and resetting it to factory and it is still in PIP or POP, not sure which. The real problem is our TV remote does not have a PIP button and when I go into the TV menus there is not options for PIP or POP. The main board numbers that I replaced it with are exactly the same as the original so I am stumped. How do I get it out of PIP or POP and or how do I get into the service menu? Thanks for any help possible.
post #3105 of 3281 Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleymize View Post
I have a Vizio M50-C1
This is the 2017 thread, for Mxx-Ex models. You want to find the thread for 2015 models.
post #3106 of 3281 Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry about that did not realize it existed. Thanks.
post #3107 of 3281 Old 10-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere.

I am unable to play UHD content via a Chromecast Ultra on my brand-new M70-E3. Is this a known issue?

Symptoms: I use Vudu or Netflix apps to cast to the Ultra. The content buffers, and before it starts to play, I get an error from either Vudu or Netflix (something like: "sorry, cannot play this content."). I _am_ able to stream HD or SD content via Chromecast Ultra.

Setup:

Vizio M70-E3
Chromecast Ultra plugged into HDMI 2
Vizio Atmos Soundbar 5.1.2 plugged into HDMI 1 ARC
Android phone casting to the Chromecast Ultra (_not_ to the TV itself)

Any tips or tricks? Thank you!
post #3108 of 3281 Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyway to use HDMI ARC from a sound bar and preserve Dolby Vision @ 4K 60Hz when using an Apple TV 4K? I don't want to use optical
post #3109 of 3281 Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Ladd View Post
Apologies if this was covered elsewhere.

I am unable to play UHD content via a Chromecast Ultra on my brand-new M70-E3. Is this a known issue?

Symptoms: I use Vudu or Netflix apps to cast to the Ultra. The content buffers, and before it starts to play, I get an error from either Vudu or Netflix (something like: "sorry, cannot play this content."). I _am_ able to stream HD or SD content via Chromecast Ultra.

Setup:

Vizio M70-E3
Chromecast Ultra plugged into HDMI 2
Vizio Atmos Soundbar 5.1.2 plugged into HDMI 1 ARC
Android phone casting to the Chromecast Ultra (_not_ to the TV itself)

Any tips or tricks? Thank you!

Curious, have u tried to cast straight to the tv? If yes, were u able to get 4k content? Unless there is a specific reason/app for adding the Ultra, it seems redundant with our tv's.
post #3110 of 3281 Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM

I hope this is the best place to ask this question.

I'm looking at a M65-E0 but I noticed it doesn't have an antenna hookup. The website mentions something about streaming 100 channels for free. Is this a gimmick or can I actually get my local broadcast channels through the vizio streaming service?

I really don't like or understand streaming. I just don't get how they can get away with having a tv with no actual tv tuner.
post #3111 of 3281 Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's not free local channels. It's free tv stream over your internet. There is no tv tuner on the 2017 but the 2018 does have one. So, either get a Roku, Apple TV, or firestick and pay 25 mo. for a streaming tv service like spectrumtv, directtvnow, YouTube TV, or sling TV to get your local channels plus ESPN, food Network, history channel, etc etc.

The 2017 m series isn't called a tv but the 2018 m series is.
IRMacGuyver likes this.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #3112 of 3281 Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRMacGuyver View Post
I hope this is the best place to ask this question.

I'm looking at a M65-E0 but I noticed it doesn't have an antenna hookup. The website mentions something about streaming 100 channels for free. Is this a gimmick or can I actually get my local broadcast channels through the vizio streaming service?

I really don't like or understand streaming. I just don't get how they can get away with having a tv with no actual tv tuner.
The free channels are from Pluto TV. No locals. The Vizio does have YouTube TV app built in. It pretty good service but not available in all markets. If you use an antenna, though, you will need to buy a TV tuner, and connect it via HDMI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
IRMacGuyver likes this.
post #3113 of 3281 Old 10-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
It's not free local channels. It's free tv stream over your internet. There is no tv tuner on the 2017 but the 2018 does have one. So, either get a Roku, Apple TV, or firestick and pay 25 mo. for a streaming tv service like spectrumtv, directtvnow, YouTube TV, or sling TV to get your local channels plus ESPN, food Network, history channel, etc etc.

The 2017 m series isn't called a tv but the 2018 m series is.
I believe the tv is already a roku tv for what ever that means.
post #3114 of 3281 Old 10-15-2018, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
No, it isn't.

Roku is a specific OS/user interface. Some TV manufacturers license it for use on their TVs, but not Vizio. You'd need to buy an external Roku box. Although the M65-E0 has no tuner, you can buy an external tuner box for <$50. Many will even let you use a memory card to record and pause live TV.
post #3115 of 3281 Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Only these TV's are Roku-equipped. Based on reviews, TCL is the best.....

https://support.roku.com/article/115...offer-roku-tv-

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #3116 of 3281 Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
No, it isn't.

Roku is a specific OS/user interface. Some TV manufacturers license it for use on their TVs, but not Vizio. You'd need to buy an external Roku box. Although the M65-E0 has no tuner, you can buy an external tuner box for <$50. Many will even let you use a memory card to record and pause live TV.
I was confused cause I've also been looking at TCL tvs that are Roku.
post #3117 of 3281 Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Angry M65-E0 picture settings and last firmware

Hi there.

After the last firmware, I have experienced my set defaulting my picture settings. Sometimes, my custom settings will reappear for a few power cycles, and disappear randomly. This includes, contrast, color, tint, backlight, clear motion, game mode; pretty much everything.
It's like my set is defaulting to demo mode?

Vizio sent a tech to replace the mainboard, this didn't help.
After they replaced the set with another, which has the same exact issues.

I'll have to go home to see what firmware I'm on, however I'm sure it's the last one released; I have been constantly checking for updates.

Vizio is now offering a refund, which is very nice of them...however, using that refund to get another set via Amazon or CostCo requires some third party shipper which I've never had luck with.
Just a point of fact, nothing to do with my issue.

I have my Xbox One X feeding into my Denon receiver, which outputs to the television set via HDMI 1.
I can't imagine connected devices affecting my picture settings, seems strange to me. Therefore, I haven't tired hooking anything else up...again, it's the picture settings that are the issue, I'm not seeing artifacts or something logically connected to a faulty unit or connection.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there any ETA for a newer firmware?
I'm certain it's the firmware the borked my TV. It worked before, I've basically had two replacements...
Unless I've made a mistake from it's default state (both new and reset to factory several times) to inputting new picture settings?
Going crazy, and ranting...

Thanks.
post #3118 of 3281 Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
That entire show was filmed dark and gloomy, intentionally.

As stated above just turn up your backlight..how high is relevant to how dark your room is.

I have mine as

Backlight 40
Brightness 48
Contrast 52
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

*More picture*
Color temp normal
Black detail off
Xtreme Black engine plus on
Clear action off
Reduce noise off-Off
Game latency off
Film mode on
Color space auto
Gamma 2.2

Check out rtings.com and get the color calibration from them. HDR looks amazing
just got an M50-E1. Calibrated settings look terrible. Dull, washed out. contrast and color range especially on hdr/dolby vision conent look very dull. I wonder if its even displaying the correct dynamic ranges on hdr content.

Standard display setting on he other hand look amazing. Things look shiny and sharp, motion is better, and HDR and dolby vision streams look breathtakin on netflix and amazon, with much more dynamic contrast and colors.

I think vizio just copied the rtings.com color tuning and it doesn't look so good on my tv with calibrated settings lol. Sometimes i will use calibrated dark with the color punched up to low 60s and backlight raised depending on my light conditions, and brightness at 49. but only for non hdr content that i feel is too bright or over saturated in standard mode. for example breaking bad. Calibrated Dark looks a slightly better then calibrated imo, but its not saying much. I have friends come over my house and think i got robbed on the tv when I have calibrated setting on. But standard has great contrast, sharpness and motion handling.

I really think something is broken with the calibrated settings on my unit.

Most dissappointing thing about this vizio for me personally, compared to other hdr tvs i tried LG samsung, is the motion handling. Everytime a scene pans i think I go crosseyed. verry jittery. i wonder if its because i got the 50 inch and not the 55. didn't realize it was onl a 60hz panel not a 120 as advertized. And Clear action does nothing but make the picture darker.

Overall not anything worth returning for the price. The blacks and uniformity on this tv are very good so is the local dimming. Just wish it was color calibrated better and had better motion handling. But for the avg person in dark room standard setting will be mind blowing.

I still prefer my LG's for bright rooms and wide angle viewing and motion handling. But the vizio displays HDR content (standard or vivid display settings) way more dynamic and uniformed.
kizersosay28 likes this.

Last edited by cooloutac; 10-20-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #3119 of 3281 Old 10-20-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooloutac View Post
just got an M50-E1. Calibrated settings look terrible. Dull, washed out. contrast and color range especially on hdr/dolby vision conent look very dull. I wonder if its even displaying the correct dynamic ranges on hdr content.

Standard display setting on he other hand look amazing. Things look shiny and sharp, motion is better, and HDR and dolby vision streams look breathtakin on netflix and amazon, with much more dynamic contrast and colors.

I think vizio just copied the rtings.com color tuning and it doesn't look so good on my tv with calibrated settings lol. Sometimes i will use calibrated dark with the color punched up to low 60s and backlight raised depending on my light conditions, and brightness at 49. but only for non hdr content that i feel is too bright or over saturated in standard mode. for example breaking bad. Calibrated Dark looks a slightly better then calibrated imo, but its not saying much. I have friends come over my house and think i got robbed on the tv when I have calibrated setting on. But standard has great contrast, sharpness and motion handling.

I really think something is broken with the calibrated settings on my unit.

Most dissappointing thing about this vizio for me personally, compared to other hdr tvs i tried LG samsung, is the motion handling. Everytime a scene pans i think I go crosseyed. verry jittery. i wonder if its because i got the 50 inch and not the 55. didn't realize it was onl a 60hz panel not a 120 as advertized. And Clear action does nothing but make the picture darker.

Overall not anything worth returning for the price. The blacks and uniformity on this tv are very good so is the local dimming. Just wish it was color calibrated better and had better motion handling. But for the avg person in dark room standard setting will be mind blowing.

I still prefer my LG's for bright rooms and wide angle viewing and motion handling. But the vizio displays HDR content (standard or vivid display settings) way more dynamic and uniformed.

Calibrated mode is what’s going to get you as close as it can to the original master of the movie, as it was intended to be seen. Other modes like standard, Dynamic and such will just use post processing tricks and boosts colors sharpness and contrast to make it pop more but ruins the picture.

post #3120 of 3281 Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
Calibrated mode is what’s going to get you as close as it can to the original master of the movie, as it was intended to be seen. Other modes like standard, Dynamic and such will just use post processing tricks and boosts colors sharpness and contrast to make it pop more but ruins the picture.

I dont know, i play around a lot of with calibrated and standard with different settings. Calibrated has almost no color and is dark for me. I tried calibrated on different movies and games and it was just too dim and no colors. Standard with some settings adjusted is the best imo.
kizersosay28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page