Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes

post #661 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Toslink and ARC can handle the same bandwidth, it's just not all receivers support DD+ over optical.
That's what I understood from my reading.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG 65B7 | Odroid N2 with CoreELEC | LG SK10Y+SPK8-S | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
No.
rting has lower rating for upscaling for vizio TVs.

Last edited by him7403; 09-05-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #663 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3360 Post(s)
Liked: 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
Yes but I believe they are a little off as the upscaling is just fine and close to both my oleds...rting can be wrong sometimes...plus their have been a few updates since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Yes but I believe they are a little off as the upscaling is just fine and close to both my oleds...rting can be wrong sometimes...plus their have been a few updates since then.
Oh wow, that makes me feel better, really?

And I will say upscaling got much better with the latest beta. Every has been saying this also. Big difference.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #665 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

And I will say upscaling got much better with the latest beta. Every has been saying this also. Big difference.
Yeah these 2017 m series are doing just fine with any content that I've thrown at it...except pass atmos via arc lol!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #666 of 3334 Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I must say, though, Sony is significantly better in terms of up scaling. 1080p looks almost like a native resolution (not really, but very, very, very good) However, you probably won't notice the difference while watching a high-quality 1080p content or playing on consoles, since they have great upscalers themselves. I've only spotted this aspect by connection my PC.

On the other hand, I don't know if the difference will become more apparent on a low-quality content.

Anyway, it's all academic, since a Sony in this price-range is edge-lit and no local dimming, so kind of useless
sonoftumble likes this.
post #667 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X1300w and m65-e0 HDMI Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailin View Post
Just picked up a new avr yesterday Denon X1300W(WCG,HDR,DV,HLG supported) and took my stupid Harman Garbage 1610 in for repair or replacement.(Hoping for the later) So I am ready for anything that doesn't need HDMI 2.1. Loving it and now I have as many HDMI 2.0 as I need but won't ever use. The part I was confused by is the image quality on both the xbox and ps4 look better running through the amp. Could be placebo, my mind having to justify the purchase but I am enjoying it.

Still loving the M55 a few weeks in. And with the new addition I am loving it even more.
I have the exact same receiver but I can't get it to work with the HDMI 1 port. Are you having any issues with it? I was having troubles with the HDMI 2 port but I think I worked out the kinks so that works when turned on in a specific order. What happens is I get no video but I do get sound when through the HDMI 1 port. I believe it is some sort of handshake issue but I have run through the suggestions of turning everything off, unplugging hdmi cables then replugging it back in. My setup is m65-e0 hdmi 1 to receiver to the arc hdmi out. I have an Nvidia shield connected to one of the HDMI ports (I have tried numerous ones but no change). I have had it work once after unplugging hdmi cables in and out and cycling power but it never is consistent. I have tried multiple hdmi cables all being high speed or high speed with ethernet. I am at a loss.

I am located in Canada, but if anyone can point me towards a cable that will for sure work I am willing to try. I am using "Premium HDMI® 2.0 Cables with Nylon Jacket PrimeCables® Mamba Series" I can't post a link due to the low post count but it is from Prime Cables in their HDMI 2.0 licensed cables section.

Now running the receiver through HDMI 2 I am still able to get HDR content to show up fine (I think, I don't have anything to compare it against). I get the HDR10 in the info screen when watching netflix or my own content. Running it through HDMI 2, am I losing quality? I believe the shield is running 8 bit 4:2:0 rec 709.

Thanks
post #668 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Quote:
Yeah these 2017 m series are doing just fine with any content that I've thrown at it...except pass atmos via arc lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post
I must say, though, Sony is significantly better in terms of up scaling. 1080p looks almost like a native resolution (not really, but very, very, very good) However, you probably won't notice the difference while watching a high-quality 1080p content or playing on consoles, since they have great upscalers themselves. I've only spotted this aspect by connection my PC.

On the other hand, I don't know if the difference will become more apparent on a low-quality content.

Anyway, it's all academic, since a Sony in this price-range is edge-lit and no local dimming, so kind of useless
To get Sony's heralded "X1" processor, you have to really open up the old purse strings and start eyeing either a ZD9 or AE1. My biggest pet peeve with Sony is that after you've spent all that dough, you will still be wanting a CMS so you can calibrate the display. That's right - no CMS - the only option is "Sony Color". The cool feature of the X1 processor is its ability to take SDR content and HDR-ize it in real time. I suppose that could get old after a while.

As @Cam1977 and @Jasonn B hinted at - the reviews of Vizio's upscaling capabilities ( rtings and CNET, etc. ) - are based on older versions of firmware. With FW 3.3.18.1, Vizio's upscaling algorithms were drastically improved - to the point that almost all sub-1080P ( 1080i/720P ) content looks actually decent. ( Upscaling 1080P content doesn't require any processing as it's a simple x4 multiple. ) Except for a little missing detail, 1080P will look like 4K from about 6 ft back. It wasn't in the release notes, but several in this thread - as well as the 2016 M thread - have remarked at how much better things look. IMO, Vizio has finally caught up with the other touted brands by taking advantage of their own SOC - which is no slouch. In order to do DV, you have to have a serious processor to start with. Good news all around.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #669 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
As @Cam1977 and @Jasonn B hinted at - the reviews of Vizio's upscaling capabilities ( rtings and CNET, etc. ) - are based on older versions of firmware. With FW 3.3.18.1, Vizio's upscaling algorithms were drastically improved - to the point that almost all sub-1080P ( 1080i/720P ) content looks actually decent. ( Upscaling 1080P content doesn't require any processing as it's a simple x4 multiple. ) Except for a little missing detail, 1080P will look like 4K from about 6 ft back. It wasn't in the release notes, but several in this thread - as well as the 2016 M thread - have remarked at how much better things look. IMO, Vizio has finally caught up with the other touted brands by taking advantage of their own SOC - which is no slouch. In order to do DV, you have to have a serious processor to start with. Good news all around.
This is one of the many things Vizio has taken upon themselves to greatly improve the past year I've owned of their displays. And it's something I am so curious about this next year with the 2017 M. I've had it about a month and a half and my main curiosity with updates right now is in regards to improving the FALD performance. I saw a drastic improvement with almost every firmware update on the 2016 M that I hope to see the same with this year's. It definitely could use some additional fine tuning, more so with HDR content as that's where I tend to see its flaws surface. There were a couple of moments I remember in "Life of Pi" where there was a building in the background earlier in the film where a portion was somewhat in shadow. As the camera titled, an almost flashing effect with the backlight appeared within the shadow. I also noticed this during "Allied" when Brad Pitt's character first meets Marion Cotillard.

I'd also like to see if any FALD updates would improve the horizontal banding from the backlight array that is so noticeable on camera tilts. I haven't heard anything about upcoming firmware updates, especially now with Matt leaving Vizio. Hopefully we continue to hear and see improvements.

In terms of the display, now a month and a half in, I'm still so happy with the improvements to the image quality on the 2017 model. I've watched nearly all my 4K UHD discs and, save for "Watchmen," spotted a dramatic difference in color and brightness in comparison to the 2016. "The Revenant" is one of the bigger representations of display differences as an entirely new color palate is now present. Previously, minus slight detail improvements, the film was practically identical between the two formats on the 2016 M. On the 2017, the film takes on new life as suddenly every single shot is given a more natural and vibrant array of colors, especially trees. "Life of PI" is another that is now dramatically different, whereas before I somewhat regretted the expensive upgrade. I now do not regret the upgrades I've made thus far from Blu-ray to 4K. Can't wait to throw "Blade Runner" at it this week.
post #670 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just upgraded from a 2008 50" plasma to the m65, holy smokes... my was wife was not pleased I bought it until she seen the picture lol. Netflix HDR content looks freaking beautiful, I only wish there was more. I can't say anything bad about the picture quality at all; so far the only thing lacking are the speakers,which are pretty terrible. Any suggestions on a mid range sound bar?

I have found myself shying away from my Benq 1070 (110" screen) bc the pic quality on this tv is awesome, more than worth the money. Will be hooking up the new Xbox once it comes out.
post #671 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@CheYC

Any Vizio soundbar will do the job.

LG 65B7 | Odroid N2 with CoreELEC | LG SK10Y+SPK8-S | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
post #672 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yes stick with Vizio soundbar, as the TV remote will also control soundbar on/off and volume functions.
post #673 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, was reading alot of good things about the VIZIO SB3621N-E8, only 150 bucks. Anyone have experience with this soundbar? Wondering if its worth spending over 300...
post #674 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello everyone this is my first post here , so hopefully I'm not saying anything too nooby in this post. I recently got the M65-E0 and am loving the television.

Now I read through a lot of this thread and saw this mentioned before, but not sure if it was ever answered clearly. I want to verify that the 2017 M series is able to play DV through the VUDU app. The only reason I'm asking is because when I look at the movies through the app they do not say DV, just that they are 4K. Further research showed they only list the 2016 Vizio's as being HDR DV compatible on their website.

I know it may sound silly but don't feel like spending the 8 bucks on a movie rental that doesn't have HDR. Thank you again for any answers that I will get and can't wait to continue discussing these wonderful TVs we have!
post #675 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post
Thanks guys, was reading alot of good things about the VIZIO SB3621N-E8, only 150 bucks. Anyone have experience with this soundbar? Wondering if its worth spending over 300...
I don't know if you have had a chance to listen to it, but most Best Buys should have a demo on display with other similarly priced soundbars to give you an idea of how it sounds compared to other brands. From what I've heard of it I think it's a great soundbar for the price.
post #676 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokesIsStoked View Post
Hello everyone this is my first post here , so hopefully I'm not saying anything too nooby in this post. I recently got the M65-E0 and am loving the television.

Now I read through a lot of this thread and saw this mentioned before, but not sure if it was ever answered clearly. I want to verify that the 2017 M series is able to play DV through the VUDU app. The only reason I'm asking is because when I look at the movies through the app they do not say DV, just that they are 4K. Further research showed they only list the 2016 Vizio's as being HDR DV compatible on their website.

I know it may sound silly but don't feel like spending the 8 bucks on a movie rental that doesn't have HDR. Thank you again for any answers that I will get and can't wait to continue discussing these wonderful TVs we have!
It does I have watched Ghost in the shell and Star trek beyond on mines. Scroll to the bottom of the movie page it should list Dobly vision in the UHD features.
post #677 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do most of you stream from the on TV (could based) apps such as netflix? I'm hoping the app netflix will do the 4k HDR so I can sell our Roku 3. Would hate to get this TV with the apps only to realize I still need the newest and latest roku for 4k and HDR.
post #678 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
Do most of you stream from the on TV (could based) apps such as netflix? I'm hoping the app netflix will do the 4k HDR so I can sell our Roku 3. Would hate to get this TV with the apps only to realize I still need the newest and latest roku for 4k and HDR.
Yes the tv's apps as you will support both flavors of HDR.
post #679 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Awesome thanks! For those that user the stand, is there a way to secure it to the entertainment center? So kids can't top the tv over?
post #680 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thanks! For those that user the stand, is there a way to secure it to the entertainment center? So kids can't top the tv over?
Maybe consider a wall mount...a little on the high side!
post #681 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
It does I have watched Ghost in the shell and Star trek beyond on mines. Scroll to the bottom of the movie page it should list Dobly vision in the UHD features.
Just went to check and now it's coming up, which is weird, but really glad to see. Thank you for the confirmation! Any rental suggestions from VUDU?
post #682 of 3334 Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokesIsStoked View Post
Just went to check and now it's coming up, which is weird, but really glad to see. Thank you for the confirmation! Any rental suggestions from VUDU?
Pacific Rim is a good one!
post #683 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a bit off topic, but I got the SB3851-D0 (that's a 5.1 setup with a 38" soundbar, 2016 model) last year during BF sales for $200. Might be worth waiting a bit?

post #684 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know if it's typical but I had much better performance streaming Netflix HDR from my Roku Premier+ than from the tv app, tv app was routinely dropping to 720p/1080p and Roku was solid at 2160p - granted I'm running on wifi for both instead of hardwired so Roku just might be better for wireless.
post #685 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab111 View Post
I have the exact same receiver but I can't get it to work with the HDMI 1 port. Are you having any issues with it? I was having troubles with the HDMI 2 port but I think I worked out the kinks so that works when turned on in a specific order. What happens is I get no video but I do get sound when through the HDMI 1 port. I believe it is some sort of handshake issue but I have run through the suggestions of turning everything off, unplugging hdmi cables then replugging it back in. My setup is m65-e0 hdmi 1 to receiver to the arc hdmi out. I have an Nvidia shield connected to one of the HDMI ports (I have tried numerous ones but no change). I have had it work once after unplugging hdmi cables in and out and cycling power but it never is consistent. I have tried multiple hdmi cables all being high speed or high speed with ethernet. I am at a loss.

I am located in Canada, but if anyone can point me towards a cable that will for sure work I am willing to try. I am using "Premium HDMI® 2.0 Cables with Nylon Jacket PrimeCables® Mamba Series" I can't post a link due to the low post count but it is from Prime Cables in their HDMI 2.0 licensed cables section.

Now running the receiver through HDMI 2 I am still able to get HDR content to show up fine (I think, I don't have anything to compare it against). I get the HDR10 in the info screen when watching netflix or my own content. Running it through HDMI 2, am I losing quality? I believe the shield is running 8 bit 4:2:0 rec 709.

Thanks
I don't seem to have any issues with my X1300W. Do you have the latest update installed that adds HLG, DV? I would ask in the 2016 Denon S and X series thread to see if anyone else has this problem. I would say in my super unprofessional opinion that you have a bad HDMI controller, OR you need a factory reset and that might sort out the handshaking issues. But I am really the last person to ask for advice. Other then a small issue in the update install I have had zero issues.

As far as HDMI cables I have read that they are just dummy pipes for the most part. But I did have a high speed one that just quit working one day so, /shrug. From now I am buying MonoPrice Certified Premium Cables from amazon they are really well built, though a bit stiff and cheap. Haven't had any issues plugging them into devices like few people on Amazon reviews have. I would also post a link from amazon.ca but don't think I have the post count too either.

I noticed you can get HDR10 to show up in the info screen. Is this because the of Nvidia Shield? On smartcast I only see DV or 2160 Normal through smartcast on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Is smartcast even supporting HDR10 at all?

I also got $300+ gift card refund for my Harman amp. They decided since it just didn't really exist anymore it just wasn't worth repairing. Whole thing took 5 mins through London Drugs warranty program. Really stoked about that.
post #686 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I don't know if it's typical but I had much better performance streaming Netflix HDR from my Roku Premier+ than from the tv app, tv app was routinely dropping to 720p/1080p and Roku was solid at 2160p - granted I'm running on wifi for both instead of hardwired so Roku just might be better for wireless.
I have noticed similar results using my Xbox One S for Netflix as opposed to the Smartcast version. The only issue with the Xbox One S app currently is that it automatically jumps into HDR mode at launch regardless if the content is meant to be displayed in HDR. But it doesn't see the drops in quality, which is frustrating given the fiber connection. I also notice the same thing with the HBO Now app. Casting shows signification drops in resolution (along with only playing in 2.1), while the Xbox One S displays consistent quality. Their codec needs some work though. They are way behind Netflix and Amazon...

Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
post #687 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
The default DNS on this TV is Google's 8.8.8.8 server (speed test on TV only netted 10Mbs for me, with constant buffering on the built-in apps, and not even fast enough to support 4K).

Setting the TV's primary DNS to my internet provider's DNS (or alternately your router's WAN IP if its DNS settings are pointed to your ISP's DNS servers), resulted in full internet bandwidth and the built-in apps becoming useful. Watching Netflix 4K HDR right now .
Sledgebrah likes this.

Last edited by rvsixer; 09-07-2017 at 08:42 AM.
post #688 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,

Quick question, I just bought a PS4 Pro to use with my M65 2017 and have it plugged into HDMI port 1 to take advantage of its full potential. Before that I had my HTPC plugged in there but now I can only do 4:2:0 I believe and text doesn't seem to be as clear/sharp. If I plug the PS4 in one of the other ports, it says I lose the ability to do 2160p RGB and 4K HDR, only 2160p YUV420 + 2K HDR is available. So if I want to run the PS4 Pro to its full potential and my HTPC desktop at 8bit 4:4:4 Full RGB would my only option be to find a 2.0a splitter or switch for port 1?
post #689 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Vizio M Series 2016 vs 2017

Vizio is offering to replace my 2016 M65-D0 with a 2017 M65-E0 or another 2016 M65-D0 (though this will be my 3rd M65-D0 unit in less than a year due to various technical issues, so I have a negative impression of it overall)

I know this is a nearly impossible question to answer, but which one is "better"? I understand the M65-E0 now has WCG, but lost the 120hz native panel, 1/2 of the dimming zones, and the low lag gaming HDMI 5 input. I'm concerned about judder and motion blur with the 2017 M65-E0 with the 60hz native panel, and the gaming lag as well.

I primarily use the unit for gaming with my Xbox One S and watching TV/movies, but have admittedly not messed much with the HDR yet because after I purchased the unit, I read the HDR is somewhat useless without the WCG.

I also tried offering to "buy-up" and pay Vizio the price difference between the M series and P series to get a P series as a replacement, but they said they are not allowed to do that. I realize now that I should have waited for the P series, but that's another conversation for another day.

I'm clearly way out of my element here and appreciate any advice, comments, or knowledge you have to share. Thanks!
post #690 of 3334 Old 09-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
The default DNS on this TV is Google's 8.8.8.8 server (speed test on TV only netted 10Mbs for me, with constant buffering on the built-in apps, and not even fast enough to support 4K).

Setting the TV's primary DNS to my internet provider's DNS (or alternately your router's WAN IP if its DNS settings are pointed to your ISP's DNS servers), resulted in full internet bandwidth and the built-in apps becoming useful. Watching Netflix 4K HDR right now .
I just tried this because I seem to not be able to stream any of the free VUDU UHD DV content higher than 480p at SD and after doing this it still doesn't seem to be working. Kind of a bummer since I finally see that DV is available for me on VUDU. Was getting excited to try your recommendations. Stinks because I have no problem streaming from Amazon and Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page