Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 547Likes

post #151 of 3309 Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilly7 View Post
I am wondering if anyone else has any issues using Directv receiver with the hdmi 1 port on this tv. I have the M65-E0 along with a Denon avr-x2300w and an intel nuc BOXNUC6CAYH which has hdmi 2.0. When I run both the pc and the directv hr24 receiver through the denon receiver and then out from to hdmi 1 on the tv I do not get any sound from the directv receiver but sound works fine on the pc. If I use hdmi 2 port on the tv then everything works ok but that port is not hdmi 2.0 for the pc. I have tried plugging the directv receiver directly into the hdmi 1 port on the tv with the same results. I also have a 2nd directv hr24 receiver in the house and it had the same problem.

Update: Contacted Vizio and their solution was not to run the directv receiver through the Denon receiver but to run it directly to the tv and let the ARC return audio to the Denon receiver. I am at work now but will report back when I get home if this resolves my issue.
After getting home I was not able to make the solution from Vizio above to work. But after lots of research on a very boring day at work, I found that the Directv HR24 is known to be terrible with 4k tvs. I also had a non-dvr receiver that is still HD and hooked it up and it works no issue. So I can live without a dvr until I can try to get an updated receiver from Directv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3309 Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarv View Post
My 2017 M70 arrived today, direct from Vizio. They had it on sale and provided free shipping. I also got 5% off just for visiting their website. I wanted to buy it at Costco, but they do not carry the 2017 models..
They do.

They carry both the 65" and 70" 2017 M series.

I just got the 65" 2016 P series myself. (Same hardware as the 2017 series, besides remotes)
post #153 of 3309 Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
They do.

I just got the 65" 2016 P series myself. (Same hardware as the 2017 series, besides remotes)
They must have added that recently, it was not there a couple of weeks ago. I got it for 5% less from Vizio, but no extended warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 3309 Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Did anyone here come to the 2017 M Series from a Plasma? We are looking at TVs, coming from a 2005 42" 720p Panny Plasma. The M Series looks like a great TV, and one that would allow us to upgrade again in a few years, rather than breaking the bank right now.

For those coming from a plasma, could you describe the colors, a huge concern is Brightness, the blacks etc? I know viewing angles will be worse, and I'm guessing blacks, but the blacks aren't great on the plasma anymore either.
Thanks!

John
post #155 of 3309 Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
Did anyone here come to the 2017 M Series from a Plasma? We are looking at TVs, coming from a 2005 42" 720p Panny Plasma. The M Series looks like a great TV, and one that would allow us to upgrade again in a few years, rather than breaking the bank right now.

For those coming from a plasma, could you describe the colors, a huge concern is Brightness, the blacks etc? I know viewing angles will be worse, and I'm guessing blacks, but the blacks aren't great on the plasma anymore either.
Thanks!

John
I have a couple of plasmas, replaced a Panasonic one with the Vizio M70-D3. The Vizio is in some ways better, both for blacks and brightness, to my eyes.

And the screen is larger. And it's way less expensive.

P.S. Oops, I got the 2016 M-series. Wrong thread, but I imagine my observations would still be valid for the 2017 M-series.

Last edited by Ryan1; 07-10-2017 at 02:14 AM.
post #156 of 3309 Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks!

John
I just replace my 50" Panasonic Plasma with the Vizio M65-E0. Very happy with the brightness and the black level, but I'm not in a bright room (not completely dark either).

post #157 of 3309 Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

Thanks!

John
I recently came from a Samsung PN8000 Plasma and am happy.

Blacks are more inky black
- love this

Brightness - When using calibrated and calibrated dark for my living room, normal scenes are about the same for brightness, BUT it does seem brighter b/c the colors are more vibrant. But, in dark scenes, I can tell a difference. I have since moved to using the "Standard" setting with "Normal" color temperature and have tweaked to my own liking. This has drastically increased screen definition and brightness.

Viewing angle
- I have the M70-E3 and its a pretty big tv. With this big of a tv mounting above the fireplace, the viewing angle isn't bad at all for my living room. Yes, it's not as good as plasma, but from every seat in the house its hardly noticeable.

Overall, the TV is a great upgrade. I am using Hulu Live TV (recently placed Comcast), and I do see lag sometimes, but I don't see it while streaming youtube, netflix, hulu on-demand or anything else. So I'm guessing it is related to the "live tv" platform as it's still in beta.

Love the TV so far!
Briguy65 likes this.
post #158 of 3309 Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Coming from plasma, how is the hdr experience on this TV?
post #159 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came from a cheapish Samsung Plasma TV (PDP-5300) to this over the weekend.

Overall I am very pleased and it amounts to a big upgrade in a number of areas with a couple very big exception (which Ill get to at the end).

- The blacks are on par if not better then the plasma TV I had when using local dimming
- The color is better then the Plasma TV I had
- Reflections are handled much better all though still not great
- The screen is much brighter then my Plasma
- Im much happier with the overall picture quality. (4K is legit and all my games movies upscaled look significantly better)

- HDR is also legit and looks incredible, I saw HDR on my brothers LG (not an OLED) TV months ago and wasnt very impressed but I loaded up some HDR games like Gears of War and Mass effect on my XBOX one S and the orange of the fire pop really nicely, it sort of reminded me of cracking the black out blinds and letting the morning sun in.

The one big issue I have with this TV currently is there is a great deal of distracting blooming on grey backgrounds when the local dimming is active, its not something I ever encountered with my plasma and previous LCD Screens and I find it very distracting to the point where Im just not sure I want to keep the TV.
Does anyone else have similar experience with this? Would this issue be remedied in the P series?

Also the fact that only one of the HDMI ports is HDMI 2.0 is a bit frustrating for now but I was planning on upgrading my receiver with this purchase anyways.
post #160 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
They do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarv View Post
They must have added that recently, it was not there a couple of weeks ago. I got it for 5% less from Vizio, but no extended warranty.
It depends on the location.

I have 2 stores within 15 minutes. First one we went to didn't have it, but the other one did.
post #161 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
Beta version 3.3.16.1 has been released adding the on screen app. There are only a few apps, but Amazon is one of them. Also there is a USB media player. Cast has been renamed to smartcast that's how you access the app screen. There are a few other changes including bringing back 50hz support for those that have been asking. HDR 10 has been improved unfortunately my replacement 2017 M has not been added to the beta, but I was able to get it on my 2016 M.
Does the beta native Amazon app support streaming HDR? Will the Youtube app?

Is the beta firmware running smoothly? I'm considering trying to get on the list, though I did read some issues on some people's sets.

Can you easily choose beta vs official firmware or does it just update to beta?

Last edited by johnnyz86; 07-11-2017 at 04:25 PM.
post #162 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Beta version 3.3.16.1 has been released adding the on screen app. There are only a few apps, but Amazon is one of them. Also there is a USB media player. Cast has been renamed to smartcast that's how you access the app screen. There are a few other changes including bringing back 50hz support for those that have been asking. HDR 10 has been improved unfortunately my replacement 2017 M has not been added to the beta, but I was able to get it on my 2016 M.
I either just got it yesterday or just noticed it then. I noticed the amazon app. Finally. The Xbox doesn't show 4k at 50hz checkbox

Also today when I opened the cast menu, they are offering me a new remote, with arrow keys to use the new features. So I ordered one of those.
post #163 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86 View Post
Does the beta native Amazon app support streaming HDR? Will the Youtube app?

Is the beta firmware running smoothly? I'm considering trying to get on the list, though I did read some issues on some people's sets.

Can you easily choose beta vs official firmware or does it just update to beta?
Not right now. Since it's a beta, Vizio didn't make all the required certifications to add HDR support for Amazon.
And no, the chipset/SoC doesn't support VP9 profile 2 codec, so no HDR YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I either just got it yesterday or just noticed it then. I noticed the amazon app. Finally. The Xbox doesn't show 4k at 50hz checkbox

Also today when I opened the cast menu, they are offering me a new remote, with arrow keys to use the new features. So I ordered one of those.
The TV doesn't expose its 50Hz support to devices via the EDID, so from your console's point of view it doesn't support 50Hz.
If a 50Hz signal is fed to the display, it'll accept it, while it would show "Unsupported format" before going into No signal mode on previous 3.x versions.
Matt has noted that and hopefully it'll be corrected in a future firmware.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings

Last edited by The Coolest; 07-11-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #164 of 3309 Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey my TV just came in today! Couple questions. I see there's a slight difference in brightness on the left side. I might be crazy but is this an issue people have? Second question : how do I know if I'm casting 4k or HDR content? I pay for Netflix in 4k but I'm not entirely sure how to tell it's working. I?m on the m55-e0
strakm likes this.
post #165 of 3309 Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamende View Post
Hey my TV just came in today! Couple questions. I see there's a slight difference in brightness on the left side. I might be crazy but is this an issue people have? Second question : how do I know if I'm casting 4k or HDR content? I pay for Netflix in 4k but I'm not entirely sure how to tell it's working. I?m on the m55-e0
To see if content is HDR: in the SmartCast phone app, Settings -> System -> System Information -> Display Information

I'm trying to figure out a way to test HDR without buying a new device, to see how important HDR is to me. Unfortunately YouTube HDR won't work, and Amazon HDR isn't yet working.

Last edited by johnnyz86; 07-12-2017 at 06:28 AM.
post #166 of 3309 Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
In the updated version of the app you also have the Info button, it'll show Normal/HDR10/Dolby Vision in the bar.
If you're watching straight on, there shouldn't be a difference in brightness between the sides.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #167 of 3309 Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
The 2017 M-series went DOWN in zones in exchange for better brightness and a 10-bit panel. And they removed the tablet. I would not be at all surprised if they did this for the 2018 P-series: sacrificed one thing to improve another.
I would say better brightness and WCG. 2016 M had a 10 bit panel, but with 8 bit+FCR pipeline. Honestly we don't really know if the 2017 M actually has a full 10 bit pipeline they could of just improved the algorithm.
post #168 of 3309 Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hey all, new to this forum so hoping someone has a definitive answer. Will the upcoming USB app support proper media playback? From everything I've read, the public firmware release only allows playback of USB media in sequential order. I bought a Samsung K6290 (6300 variant) and I'm still within my 90 day return window at Costco. Problem is I use the smart features quite a bit and would hate to give USB playback since I use it quite a bit for MKV's, etc. And there's the Amazon video app, which my Vizio M70 from 2015 doesn't have at all (Canadian version).

Alternatively, would exchanging the 6290 for the new M series be worth it for the upgrade in PQ? I'm thinking mostly in terms of HDR, because I know the 6290 doesn't have WCG, which the M series seems to have.

Thanks for any help in advance, pulling hairs over this lol
post #169 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM

I am loving my new M65-E0 so far but was in my local costco today and someone must have returned a P65-C1 that looks perfect and they have it for 1200. Pretty sure it is not just a display because they still have their display and a few new in box. Thinking about returning my M for the P for only $200 more. Not sure about buying open box though. Any thoughts anyone?
post #170 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM

I'd get it but with the square trade warranty if they offer it. I bought my old P70 at samsclub.com and paid $99 for the warranty. Two years late I developed a single column of bad pixels (always too yellow) and it was out of manufacturer's warranty. They replaced wth wth the M70 (and so now I have HDR because it's two years newer) and I get to keep the old P70. I can live with the bad pixels to have a 70" 4k in my bedroom.
post #171 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'd get it but with the square trade warranty if they offer it. I bought my old P70 at samsclub.com and paid $99 for the warranty. Two years late I developed a single column of bad pixels (always too yellow) and it was out of manufacturer's warranty. They replaced wth wth the M70 (and so now I have HDR because it's two years newer) and I get to keep the old P70. I can live with the bad pixels to have a 70" 4k in my bedroom.
Is there a difference between the square trade warranty and the costco warranty. For using my costco card I get the 2+2 anyway. Not sure if square trade covers more?
post #172 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilly7 View Post
I am loving my new M65-E0 so far but was in my local costco today and someone must have returned a P65-C1 that looks perfect and they have it for 1200. Pretty sure it is not just a display because they still have their display and a few new in box. Thinking about returning my M for the P for only $200 more. Not sure about buying open box though. Any thoughts anyone?
I would do it in a heartbeat.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #173 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 04:09 PM

I thought Costco used square trade as well, I just thought they did an extra year or something.
post #174 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help with 5.1 sound

I just purchased an M65-E0 display and I'm having trouble getting 5.1 sound to my soundbar. I have a Roku, Apple TV, Samsung Blu ray, and homeworx tuner connected through the HDMI ports. Movies played from Roku and Apple TV both show as Dolby on the TV and soundbar. The bluray and tuner both just show stereo. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this working. For the blu ray player I tried both PCM and bitstream with the same result.
post #175 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I thought Costco used square trade as well, I just thought they did an extra year or something.
yes Costco uses Squaretrade but just for buying at Costco you get the extra year and if you use your Costco Visa you get two more years making 4. Then if you buy the squaretrade you get another 3 for a total of 7 years of warranty.

I just do not know much about the square trade warranty. If you already have 4 years of warranty for using your Costco Visa, does the square trade give you anything more beside the extra three years than the Costco warranty already give you.
post #176 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore75 View Post
I just purchased an M65-E0 display and I'm having trouble getting 5.1 sound to my soundbar. I have a Roku, Apple TV, Samsung Blu ray, and homeworx tuner connected through the HDMI ports. Movies played from Roku and Apple TV both show as Dolby on the TV and soundbar. The bluray and tuner both just show stereo. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this working. For the blu ray player I tried both PCM and bitstream with the same result.
Try going in the tv menu go to audio and switch to bitstream. Not sure if you're saying you tried that with the Blu Ray player or you made the changes in the players menu.
post #177 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Try going in the tv menu go to audio and switch to bitstream. Not sure if you're saying you tried that with the Blu Ray player or you made the changes in the players menu.
Thanks, I should have mentioned that in the post. I tried PCM and bitstream in the blu ray output and I tried auto, dolby, and bitstream on the TV. In all cases the display shows stereo and Dolby isn't lighting up on the soundbar. I do have an optical switcher that I can use as a backup for the blu ray but that's a little inconvenient. I don't have any other way to connect the tuner as it only has hdmi out and my soundbar doesn't have hdmi in.
post #178 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I should have mentioned that in the post. I tried PCM and bitstream in the blu ray output and I tried auto, dolby, and bitstream on the TV. In all cases the display shows stereo and Dolby isn't lighting up on the soundbar. I do have an optical switcher that I can use as a backup for the blu ray but that's a little inconvenient. I don't have any other way to connect the tuner as it only has hdmi out and my soundbar doesn't have hdmi in.
The TV does 5.1 passthrough over optical for DTS and Dobly audio. If you have Netflix try casting and see if you get 5.1.
post #179 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The TV does 5.1 passthrough over optical for DTS and Dobly audio. If you have Netflix try casting and see if you get 5.1.
Yeah, I'm getting 5.1 with Roku, Apple TV and casting. It's only the blu ray and OTA Tuner that are coming through in stereo.
post #180 of 3309 Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm getting 5.1 with Roku, Apple TV and casting. It's only the blu ray and OTA Tuner that are coming through in stereo.
When playing a Blu Ray have you tried choosing the soundtrack from the disk audio menu. I have a few disk that will default to the stereo soundtrack. What is your player model number.

Last edited by tdsbigo; 07-13-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page