Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2551 of 3333 Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub_star View Post
Good deal. I paid $1,499 for the M75-E1 at Costco on Saturday. I also just ordered the Sony STR-DH790 from Amazon - $198.00. Sony says DV upgrade coming in the summer. Now time too start looking for new AVR. Oh lord, my wallet is about empty!
Once you get the new AVR you are going to need another sub and some height speakers to take care of all those open jacks on your new Denon 13.2 rig. Then the Oppo for the best quality source and then the Harmony remote system and Dbox and new seats and acoustic treatment. You are no where done my friend ;-) Visit the bank, take out a loan and enter the rabbit hole with the rest of us.
mr.kludge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2552 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
atari1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari1980 View Post
Interesting and good to know, maybe that's because my gpu doesn't do 60hz in 4K, only 30hz (hdmi 1.4) so I just bought an active DP to HDMI 2.0a adapter on ebay, hoping it will do the trick.
Just a follow up, I did receive my DP to HDMI adapter and the TV does work in 4K @ 60hz 4:4:4 / 8-bit (on HDMI1 with UHD enabled) - Computer Mode.

FYI, the TV will not operate at 4:4:4 in anything below 4K @ 59hz refresh rate.

On an unrelated note the new firmware is up on the Vizio firmware here.
atari1980 is offline  
post #2553 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I see several people here who recently have bought the 75" M Series at Costco. The deal is really tempting me right now, but I used to find a lot of issues with lcds. I like to watch a lot of sports on them with motion (hockey and golf in particular). I have a 58" Panasonic plasma from 2009, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to go bigger and move the plasma to a secondary room. I love the OLEDs but am not willing to spend the $ for a 77 inch, and I just don't think the 65" is enough bigger than my 58" to feel like a real size upgrade. So . . . I see some people complaining about the 75" M Series - but everything is relative. How is this thing going to look compared to a 2009 Panasonic plasma? I mostly watch xfinity and my AVR is a 2007 maranta that doesn't pass through 4k or HDR, so until I also upgrade that, I will be watching basically 100% Comcast cable. Even once I upgrade the AVR, while we could then watch and listen to some Netflix in 4k HDR, 90% plus of viewing will be regular old xfinity Comcast cable.

So, am I going to like it or is it going to be a disappointment? Thinking of buying TODAY or TOMORROW. I'm leaning towards it, but just interested in some thoughts.
Volfo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2554 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
I see several people here who recently have bought the 75" M Series at Costco. The deal is really tempting me right now, but I used to find a lot of issues with lcds. I like to watch a lot of sports on them with motion (hockey and golf in particular). I have a 58" Panasonic plasma from 2009, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to go bigger and move the plasma to a secondary room. I love the OLEDs but am not willing to spend the $ for a 77 inch, and I just don't think the 65" is enough bigger than my 58" to feel like a real size upgrade. So . . . I see some people complaining about the 75" M Series - but everything is relative. How is this thing going to look compared to a 2009 Panasonic plasma? I mostly watch xfinity and my AVR is a 2007 maranta that doesn't pass through 4k or HDR, so until I also upgrade that, I will be watching basically 100% Comcast cable. Even once I upgrade the AVR, while we could then watch and listen to some Netflix in 4k HDR, 90% plus of viewing will be regular old xfinity Comcast cable.

So, am I going to like it or is it going to be a disappointment? Thinking of buying TODAY or TOMORROW. I'm leaning towards it, but just interested in some thoughts.
I'm a 55" owner and not 75" but if that TV is half of the 55" its worth the gamble. I'm in the same boat as you about motion blur but for other reasons since i don't watch much sports. As I have researched the XLEDs are a good compromise as they give phenomenal performance which is "almost" OLED quality for a fraction of the cost. There are some sets out there my LG that are decent also but to really approach what Vizio is doing you would have to go with Samsung, Sony or some of the other overpriced brands.

The big thing you are missing out on is HDR but sounds like that won't be a big deal to you, unless yo have the Craptastic 4k box and want to enjoy the Olympics content which is quite stunning in HDR. One issue you will have in your setup is SQ since you will be relegated to DD5.1 over optical from the TV to AVR for it's streaming apps but if you haven't experienced better SQ before now I doubt you will notice or care. If that is an issue make sure you pick up an Oppo 203 very soon since they are ceasing production soon and expect to ru out of stock in June. Either that or upgrade your AVR. You sill still have the limitations with the TV but I thought I would speak to your AVR issue which is similar to mine. Using the Oppo to front end your UHD input will allow you to slit the a/v from both the player AND anything connected to the input of the 203. In my case I have a 4k switch for DVR, Roku and a Sammy 85k UHD player (that has amazing streaming capabilities).

I have found that blacks and contrast to be superior to my olden Panny plasma and also my two olden Sammy DLP rear projectors. TVs have come a LONG way in the past decade.

I would say pul the trigger and you can always return it to Costco if you hate it and you can't beat their standard warranty they provide. That is where I would have purchased from if I had not found the unreal deal on mine at Sam's. Costco has a very liberal return policy. Just keep all the packing and box etc. in your garage or whatever until after the return period.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #2555 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
I'm a 55" owner and not 75" but if that TV is half of the 55" its worth the gamble. I'm in the same boat as you about motion blur but for other reasons since i don't watch much sports. As I have researched the XLEDs are a good compromise as they give phenomenal performance which is "almost" OLED quality for a fraction of the cost. There are some sets out there my LG that are decent also but to really approach what Vizio is doing you would have to go with Samsung, Sony or some of the other overpriced brands.

The big thing you are missing out on is HDR but sounds like that won't be a big deal to you, unless yo have the Craptastic 4k box and want to enjoy the Olympics content which is quite stunning in HDR. One issue you will have in your setup is SQ since you will be relegated to DD5.1 over optical from the TV to AVR for it's streaming apps but if you haven't experienced better SQ before now I doubt you will notice or care. If that is an issue make sure you pick up an Oppo 203 very soon since they are ceasing production soon and expect to ru out of stock in June. Either that or upgrade your AVR. You sill still have the limitations with the TV but I thought I would speak to your AVR issue which is similar to mine. Using the Oppo to front end your UHD input will allow you to slit the a/v from both the player AND anything connected to the input of the 203. In my case I have a 4k switch for DVR, Roku and a Sammy 85k UHD player (that has amazing streaming capabilities).

I have found that blacks and contrast to be superior to my olden Panny plasma and also my two olden Sammy DLP rear projectors. TVs have come a LONG way in the past decade.

I would say pul the trigger and you can always return it to Costco if you hate it and you can't beat their standard warranty they provide. That is where I would have purchased from if I had not found the unreal deal on mine at Sam's. Costco has a very liberal return policy. Just keep all the packing and box etc. in your garage or whatever until after the return period.
thanks for that. My TV is in the worst place - over a fireplace. It's not a masonry fire place but a box and so I can ran some cables through it but it is a pain. Due to a recent remodel, I was able to lower the mount a bit and run TWO new HDMI cables from the AVR to over the fireplace (only use one, the other is redundant) but I do not have a return audio line from the tv. I might be able to run one (I ran a couple of pull strings through the fireplace area as well, but it would be a pain. So right now everything goes through my marantz receiver to the tv. I do have a nice 5.1 system set up, but like I said, it is powered by a 2007ish Marantz AV that can pass through 1080 but not anything more. I probably should bite the bullet and upgrade the receiver, I'm guessing I could get one that fits my needs for $500 or less, but the Marantz still works great and I have no other use for it.
Volfo is offline  
post #2556 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
thanks for that. My TV is in the worst place - over a fireplace. It's not a masonry fire place but a box and so I can ran some cables through it but it is a pain. Due to a recent remodel, I was able to lower the mount a bit and run TWO new HDMI cables from the AVR to over the fireplace (only use one, the other is redundant) but I do not have a return audio line from the tv. I might be able to run one (I ran a couple of pull strings through the fireplace area as well, but it would be a pain. So right now everything goes through my marantz receiver to the tv. I do have a nice 5.1 system set up, but like I said, it is powered by a 2007ish Marantz AV that can pass through 1080 but not anything more. I probably should bite the bullet and upgrade the receiver, I'm guessing I could get one that fits my needs for $500 or less, but the Marantz still works great and I have no other use for it.
You will want to find a way to fish a optical from TV to AVR otherwise you won't have any way to get audio from it. I'm guessing your current one is not "smart". I used to think that "smart" TVs were a dumb idea until the advent of HDR streaming and higher quality audio. Now it's a must especially for the "cast" capabilities. TVs are becoming the uber swiss army knives for streaming and casting which kinda took ether industry by surprise, hence the need for eARC as ARC was a big band-aid for that situation. Before the advent of all the 4k HDR TVs BD players and other outboard devices were serving that purpose for most. Also if you don't upgrade your AVR you are going to want to run all your 4k sources directly to the TV and possibly split the audio and video in your situation. Your situation is much like having a projector. However if 4k sources are not an issue you will be happy with the increased PQ of the TV upscaling since you mostly watch cable. Just sharing since I'm thinking you will be facing the same transformation and need to update some things for full capabilities. I'm stubborn and don't want a new AVR as the one I have is more than adequate.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #2557 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
You will want to find a way to fish a optical from TV to AVR otherwise you won't have any way to get audio from it. I'm guessing your current one is not "smart". I used to think that "smart" TVs were a dumb idea until the advent of HDR streaming and higher quality audio. Now it's a must especially for the "cast" capabilities. TVs are becoming the uber swiss army knives for streaming and casting which kinda took ether industry by surprise, hence the need for eARC as ARC was a big band-aid for that situation. Before the advent of all the 4k HDR TVs BD players and other outboard devices were serving that purpose for most. Also if you don't upgrade your AVR you are going to want to run all your 4k sources directly to the TV and possibly split the audio and video in your situation. Your situation is much like having a projector. However if 4k sources are not an issue you will be happy with the increased PQ of the TV upscaling since you mostly watch cable. Just sharing since I'm thinking you will be facing the same transformation and need to update some things for full capabilities. I'm stubborn and don't want a new AVR as the one I have is more than adequate.
I also have a Denon 1613 AVR that I could swap out, but that is also more than 5 years old I think and a lowish model. It does have ARC, but I doubt can pass through 4k or HDR.

If I bought a new receiver, I could stream from another device through the receiver to the tv. I have a PS3 I use as a BluRay player, I don't know if it has that capability or not. I will check. otherwise, I could buy an Apple TV 4k or something like that, right?
Volfo is offline  
post #2558 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
I also have a Denon 1613 AVR that I could swap out, but that is also more than 5 years old I think and a lowish model. It does have ARC, but I doubt can pass through 4k or HDR.

If I bought a new receiver, I could stream from another device through the receiver to the tv. I have a PS3 I use as a BluRay player, I don't know if it has that capability or not. I will check. otherwise, I could buy an Apple TV 4k or something like that, right?
The 1613 has 3D pass-thru so "most" 4k content would pass but little to none HDR.

And yes you will be able to hook anything to the AVR and pass it to the TV (within your pass-thru capabilities) but will have to live without ANY advanced HDR capability which is where it is all at these days esp. if you are considering a giant TV.

You could use one of your HDMIs to connect the TV to the AVR (Denon) and use ARC for audio back and then use the other as an input to one of the other ports and front end it with a 4k switch if needed. That way you could get your cake and eat it too. If you were to run an optical you can do the same thing with your current connected Marantz. In that case you could free up port 1 for full capabilities since you would not need the ARC channel. Then you would have port one for things like; ATV, Roku, UHD player etc. You would be limited to DD5.1/DTS for those sources, unless you front end that with an Oppo 203 and run the video out HDMI to the TV and the audio only to the AVR. BTW with the Oppo it has ARC so buy one and you eliminate the need for the optical. Just depends on if you want the best PQ and passible audio or the best audio and decent but not full and no HDR capability or both.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #2559 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
I see several people here who recently have bought the 75" M Series at Costco. The deal is really tempting me right now, but I used to find a lot of issues with lcds. I like to watch a lot of sports on them with motion (hockey and golf in particular). I have a 58" Panasonic plasma from 2009, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to go bigger and move the plasma to a secondary room. I love the OLEDs but am not willing to spend the $ for a 77 inch, and I just don't think the 65" is enough bigger than my 58" to feel like a real size upgrade. So . . . I see some people complaining about the 75" M Series - but everything is relative. How is this thing going to look compared to a 2009 Panasonic plasma? I mostly watch xfinity and my AVR is a 2007 maranta that doesn't pass through 4k or HDR, so until I also upgrade that, I will be watching basically 100% Comcast cable. Even once I upgrade the AVR, while we could then watch and listen to some Netflix in 4k HDR, 90% plus of viewing will be regular old xfinity Comcast cable.

So, am I going to like it or is it going to be a disappointment? Thinking of buying TODAY or TOMORROW. I'm leaning towards it, but just interested in some thoughts.
Nope. I've owned plasma's for the last 15 year. This is my first led. It's a bedroom set(which is actually pitch dark at night) and I have no regrets buying this set. However, once you start getting in that size range, any issues do start to amplify. For instance, this tv does have a limited set of zones. 32 for my 50", not sure about the 75". Personally, if I were going to buy an led to put as my main & be going that large, I would probably move up to the P series. However, it is possible that this tv would suffice. Hopefully someone in here has that size & has previous plasma history & can give you a better idea.
cadett is offline  
post #2560 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Real shame about this VUDU HDR/DV issue on Vizio TVs. Anyone have workarounds? 90% of my HDR collection is on VUDU and I'm wondering there is some workaround taking advantage of MoviesAnywhere or something.
JannatilF is offline  
post #2561 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been eyeing the M-75 @ Costco much like Volfo. I'm curious if any "M" owners have experience with both the M-75 and the Sony X900E (65") and could give me some hands on feedback. Both of these are right at the same price currently and fit my budget. My seating distance is large - 17 ft - which sucks - and the details of UHD may not even be visible at the distance (I really don't know). I went to view @ Best Buy and 4k detail was amazing on these sets but I was standing much closer than my viewing distance at home. I'm not a videophile so its hard to determine if the Vizio size outweighs the Sony PQ from what I'm reading.

Coming from a 10 yr old Sammy 46" LCD anything might be an upgrade. I'm a heavy sports watcher and view Xfinity cable about 80% of the time with some of that being Netflix thru the cable app (not a smart TV if that matters). The other 20% on blue ray discs from Red Box rentals.
ASEvans is offline  
post #2562 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So, I just bought the 75 Vizio M Series at Costco. I will be hooking it up in the next day or two. I will give feedback on my thoughts going from the 58" plasma. I see what cadett says about issues amplifying at 75", but to me I think size will rule as long as the picture is ok. I'm not a videophile either, but sometimes things jump out to me that i don't like. For example, i bought the super cheap 55" tcl at costco for $350 to put on my screened in porch, but watching basketball on that tv the faces just turned into blobs as they ran. On the other hand, I have a 3 year old 55" vizio e series that i find just fine. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.

I have been on the fence about buying a new tv for a couple of years. Been hoping for OLED to come down enough, but at least in the 77" size that still seems several years away. CNET led me to the vizio M series. A trip to Best Buy when it was at $1900 had me thinking, then thinking about the Sony 900e for $2500. But the M at $1499, and from Costco where returns are easy if i hate it, convinced me.

Mr. Kludge, I appreciate the feedback. I understood MOST of it - ha! I have a sinking feeling i will be dropping about $4-500 on a new basic receiver soon . . . but I may try the denon 1613 in the meantime as it sounds more capable, if not better sounding, than my Marantz.
Volfo is offline  
post #2563 of 3333 Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEvans View Post
I've been eyeing the M-75 @ Costco much like Volfo. I'm curious if any "M" owners have experience with both the M-75 and the Sony X900E (65") and could give me some hands on feedback. Both of these are right at the same price currently and fit my budget. My seating distance is large - 17 ft - which sucks - and the details of UHD may not even be visible at the distance (I really don't know). I went to view @ Best Buy and 4k detail was amazing on these sets but I was standing much closer than my viewing distance at home. I'm not a videophile so its hard to determine if the Vizio size outweighs the Sony PQ from what I'm reading.

Coming from a 10 yr old Sammy 46" LCD anything might be an upgrade. I'm a heavy sports watcher and view Xfinity cable about 80% of the time with some of that being Netflix thru the cable app (not a smart TV if that matters). The other 20% on blue ray discs from Red Box rentals.
Usually size trumps most factors, thus I would recommend the 75" M.

But in your case, I actually would go with Sony because it's better all around--albeit not by much--for all your viewing usage. It's brighter with SDR and HDR, has superior motion processing (important for sports), has a built-in tuner, and Android TV. On the flip side, the Vizio M only has an edge on Sony with Dolby Vision, but that's about it, and I don't know if that would even matter to you.

I've owned the TCL P, the Sony X900, and still have the M. The Sony bests them all, except the TCL with black levels, but the other two are so close to the PQ as the sony, that it's hard to justify spending more to go with the sony.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #2564 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Usually size trumps most factors, thus I would recommend the 75" M.

But in your case, I actually would go with Sony because it's better all around--albeit not by much--for all your viewing usage. It's brighter with SDR and HDR, has superior motion processing (important for sports), has a built-in tuner, and Android TV. On the flip side, the Vizio M only has an edge on Sony with Dolby Vision, but that's about it, and I don't know if that would even matter to you.

I've owned the TCL P, the Sony X900, and still have the M. The Sony bests them all, except the TCL with black levels, but the other two are so close to the PQ as the sony, that it's hard to justify spending more to go with the sony.
Thanks PJH...what makes sports viewing on "M" not as good as Sony? On my trip to Best Buy all sets were being fed some sort of 4k feed by the various brands. However, there was a section TVs that were broadcasting an NBA game and the PQ was vastly different than those of the 4k signal albeit non of them were Vizios.
ASEvans is offline  
post #2565 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
So, I just bought the 75 Vizio M Series at Costco. I will be hooking it up in the next day or two. I will give feedback on my thoughts going from the 58" plasma. I see what cadett says about issues amplifying at 75", but to me I think size will rule as long as the picture is ok. I'm not a videophile either, but sometimes things jump out to me that i don't like. For example, i bought the super cheap 55" tcl at costco for $350 to put on my screened in porch, but watching basketball on that tv the faces just turned into blobs as they ran. On the other hand, I have a 3 year old 55" vizio e series that i find just fine. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.

I have been on the fence about buying a new tv for a couple of years. Been hoping for OLED to come down enough, but at least in the 77" size that still seems several years away. CNET led me to the vizio M series. A trip to Best Buy when it was at $1900 had me thinking, then thinking about the Sony 900e for $2500. But the M at $1499, and from Costco where returns are easy if i hate it, convinced me.

Mr. Kludge, I appreciate the feedback. I understood MOST of it - ha! I have a sinking feeling i will be dropping about $4-500 on a new basic receiver soon . . . but I may try the denon 1613 in the meantime as it sounds more capable, if not better sounding, than my Marantz.
Volfo let us know how the new "M" looks. I'm interested in hearing your impressions especially on how xfinity looks on the new set.
ASEvans is offline  
post #2566 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEvans View Post
Thanks PJH...what makes sports viewing on "M" not as good as Sony? On my trip to Best Buy all sets were being fed some sort of 4k feed by the various brands. However, there was a section TVs that were broadcasting an NBA game and the PQ was vastly different than those of the 4k signal albeit non of them were Vizios.
It depends on your preference really, but sony's video processing makes watching sports more enjoyable. But if your eyes are not sensitive to motion, then it wouldn't be a factor.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #2567 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 AM
Member
 
bub_star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
I see several people here who recently have bought the 75" M Series at Costco. The deal is really tempting me right now, but I used to find a lot of issues with lcds. I like to watch a lot of sports on them with motion (hockey and golf in particular). I have a 58" Panasonic plasma from 2009, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to go bigger and move the plasma to a secondary room. I love the OLEDs but am not willing to spend the $ for a 77 inch, and I just don't think the 65" is enough bigger than my 58" to feel like a real size upgrade. So . . . I see some people complaining about the 75" M Series - but everything is relative. How is this thing going to look compared to a 2009 Panasonic plasma? I mostly watch xfinity and my AVR is a 2007 maranta that doesn't pass through 4k or HDR, so until I also upgrade that, I will be watching basically 100% Comcast cable. Even once I upgrade the AVR, while we could then watch and listen to some Netflix in 4k HDR, 90% plus of viewing will be regular old xfinity Comcast cable.

So, am I going to like it or is it going to be a disappointment? Thinking of buying TODAY or TOMORROW. I'm leaning towards it, but just interested in some thoughts.
I have a 42” Panny plasma, and you will be impressed with the M75. Just be sure to take the time to tweak the pic settings to your liking. The HDR content is very nice - much more detailed than my beloved Panny. Blacks are very deep, and colors are rich. I am very happy, except I have to get a new receiver - there are handshake issues with my Onkyo 806. Any suggestions out there?
bub_star is offline  
post #2568 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Volfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
It depends on your preference really, but sony's video processing makes watching sports more enjoyable. But if your eyes are not sensitive to motion, then it wouldn't be a factor.

PeeJHooK - I think I agree (although hard to say just watching at best buy!) and if the tvs were close to the same price I would go for the Sony 900e. For one thing, it is a true 120 HZ panel while the Vizio M is 60. People say the video processor is better. However, the best deal I was finding for the 75" Sony 900e was $2500. The Vizio M at 75" was $1500 at Costco. So, I'd pay a couple hundred more for the Sony, but not that much more. If I'm dissatisfied with the M I can return it to Costco. I doubt I will, but it's peace of mind.
PeeJHooK likes this.
Volfo is offline  
post #2569 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub_star View Post
Good deal. I paid $1,499 for the M75-E1 at Costco on Saturday. I also just ordered the Sony STR-DH790 from Amazon - $198.00. Sony says DV upgrade coming in the summer. Now time too start looking for new AVR. Oh lord, my wallet is about empty!
I just bought mine at costco about two weeks ago but ended up paying $1699. How did you manage to get it for $1499? I wonder if citi price rewind will give me back $200. Never done it but I hear good things.

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160
David Biagas is online now  
post #2570 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
I just bought mine at costco about two weeks ago but ended up paying $1699. How did you manage to get it for $1499? I wonder if citi price rewind will give me back $200. Never done it but I hear good things.

That's the advertised price until 4/8. Costco will give you a refund and/or you can use Price Rewind.
zeus33 is offline  
post #2571 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
That's the advertised price until 4/8. Costco will give you a refund and/or you can use Price Rewind.
Just put in for the price rewind. I bought it on 3/26. I should be all set assuming they accept the pic of my receipt and screenshot and pdf I submitted of the web page. Keeping my fingers crossed.


For those looking for a receiver, I got the onkyo tx-sr353 to use for 4k hdr passthrough and it works pretty well. The only annoying thing is that when I switch from smartcast to one of the devices on my receiver (e.g. the roku or digital converter) it automatically turns on the blu-ray player. Also it doesn't automatically turn on when I turn the tv on, but I get around that by turning on the receiver only since the tv turns on when I activate any devices hooked up to it.

For the life of me, I can't get the sr-373 to work when set to 4:4:4 and hdr on my older M-70. It may be the tv though, not the receiver (but I've been too lazy to hook the 373 to the M75 to verify). 4:2:0 hdr works just fine with the M-70 though.

I got the 353 on ebay for $95, so overall I'm satisfied.

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160
David Biagas is online now  
post #2572 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jasonn B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ogle-home.html

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

 

Jasonn B is offline  
post #2573 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Member
 
johaan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bit on a M65-E0 at Costco for $699 a couple weeks ago for my loft game room. Seemed like a hell of a price and I've been happy with my M60-C3 from a few years back, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The start has been a little bumpy and I'm hoping I just need to play with it more. Like someone else a couple pages ago, I got a lot of blank screens and artifacts with my Xbox One-X (vs PS4) on HDMI 1. I switched cables a couple of times and settled on the High-Speed cable that came with the Xbox, and also unchecked YCC 4:2:2 that was set for some reason and it seemed to stem the issue. I am still getting the occasional artifact though when playing games or changing menus. Thinking of a premium cable next as its worrisome.

Second, I'm unsure about the picture so far. Uncalibrated, HDR running Destiny 2 looked like a psychedelic nightmare full of blues and reds. I set the rtings calibration dark settings and its calmed down, but now looks a bit flat or too dark - to the point I prefer just 4k to the HDR. Hoping its just me or there are other settings I can tweak. Open to suggestions on what folks did.

Last, trying to sort out how much of an issue judder is with streaming with the Xbox. Historically, I used the Xbox to stream Netflix and Funimation -- mostly Funimation. I can switch to the internal player for Netflix or cast but I like using my remote for funimaiton. Any other anime fans have input on how the app looks? I can't get a good sense yet. Does Film mode do anything?

I want to like this set, especially for the price, just not there yet. Next one up would be the Samsung 8000 and that's $500 more than I paid. This is my third Vizio in a row so I'd hate to break back to Samsung.
johaan444 is offline  
post #2574 of 3333 Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by johaan444 View Post
I bit on a M65-E0 at Costco for $699 a couple weeks ago for my loft game room. Seemed like a hell of a price and I've been happy with my M60-C3 from a few years back, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The start has been a little bumpy and I'm hoping I just need to play with it more. Like someone else a couple pages ago, I got a lot of blank screens and artifacts with my Xbox One-X (vs PS4) on HDMI 1. I switched cables a couple of times and settled on the High-Speed cable that came with the Xbox, and also unchecked YCC 4:2:2 that was set for some reason and it seemed to stem the issue. I am still getting the occasional artifact though when playing games or changing menus. Thinking of a premium cable next as its worrisome.

Second, I'm unsure about the picture so far. Uncalibrated, HDR running Destiny 2 looked like a psychedelic nightmare full of blues and reds. I set the rtings calibration dark settings and its calmed down, but now looks a bit flat or too dark - to the point I prefer just 4k to the HDR. Hoping its just me or there are other settings I can tweak. Open to suggestions on what folks did.

Last, trying to sort out how much of an issue judder is with streaming with the Xbox. Historically, I used the Xbox to stream Netflix and Funimation -- mostly Funimation. I can switch to the internal player for Netflix or cast but I like using my remote for funimaiton. Any other anime fans have input on how the app looks? I can't get a good sense yet. Does Film mode do anything?

I want to like this set, especially for the price, just not there yet. Next one up would be the Samsung 8000 and that's $500 more than I paid. This is my third Vizio in a row so I'd hate to break back to Samsung.
Did you set HDMI 1 to full color?

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #2575 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My calibrated setting (a combination of S&V and Rtings) looks really good for 4K HDR content. But is too dark for regular HD content. Anyone else notice that?
AVS Commenter is offline  
post #2576 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Phldavisg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Commenter View Post
My calibrated setting (a combination of S&V and Rtings) looks really good for 4K HDR content. But is too dark for regular HD content. Anyone else notice that?
Proud owner of M75-E1 but I can not accept that calibrated and calibrated dark are the most accurate color settings on my display as has been stated by most reviewers, I have tried to force getting used to the tan tinge, not happening. Reds look orange. I went back to computer PM and it looks terrific to me with adjusted settings and computer color temp. Albeit a tiny smidge on the cool side, my vote is for computer color temp as most accurate. Backlight-85,brightness 52, contrast-50, color 50, tint 50, sharpness grayed out, black detail low, black engine on, clear action off, gamma 2.1
Phldavisg is offline  
post #2577 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Member
 
multiformous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Commenter View Post
My calibrated setting (a combination of S&V and Rtings) looks really good for 4K HDR content. But is too dark for regular HD content. Anyone else notice that?
I watch SDR material in a dark room with Backlight 30 and Gamma 2.4 and it looks great to me.

Vizio M55-E0 / Onkyo TX-SR706 / OPPO UDP-203 / Playstation 4
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Prime Center, JBL ES30 (rear), SVS PB-1000
multiformous is offline  
post #2578 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Member
 
johaan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Did you set HDMI 1 to full color?
On the port screen, yes.
johaan444 is offline  
post #2579 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. First ever post so please go easy on me. Just bought the m65-e0. I couldn’t really find a straight answer for what my issue/concern is. I’m questioning why both my modem and router when connected “hard-wired” to the set, both show an amber light indicating that the connection is either 10 or 100 mbps. This is the only device that I have that shows the amber color. All of the other (pc/ps4/xbox1) all have the white light indicating gigabit connections. Typically when doing speed tests from my router I get 250mbps on wi-fi and around 300mbps when wired. I’ve even swapped Ethernet cables/channels thinking there might be an issue, every time only the vizio has the amber light. The connection test on the vizio is usually around 15mbps but in the research I’ve done, the vizio connection test is not fully maxing out the speeds so that can’t really be used as a true test? Every once in a while after watching a video on YouTube directly from the app on the tv, I will need to close out of the app and start it again since a new selection of a video will not load or other videos in the category won’t even load a thumbnail when scrolling right to view videos in that category. I’ve also had the app close already for no reason. Sometimes I’ll notice slight pauses in video and/or the picture is not as clear for a few seconds. The Twitch app when chromecasting also buffers/fuzzy picture sometimes which I rarely experience on any other device. I guess my concern is if this is normal with the chromecast since I haven’t used it before or if there may be an issue. I’m not sure what type of wireless card is in the tv but it may just not be able to support the higher speeds. Thanks!
DBest22 is offline  
post #2580 of 3333 Old 04-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBest22 View Post
Hey guys. First ever post so please go easy on me. Just bought the m65-e0. I couldn’t really find a straight answer for what my issue/concern is. I’m questioning why both my modem and router when connected “hard-wired” to the set, both show an amber light indicating that the connection is either 10 or 100 mbps. This is the only device that I have that shows the amber color. All of the other (pc/ps4/xbox1) all have the white light indicating gigabit connections. Typically when doing speed tests from my router I get 250mbps on wi-fi and around 300mbps when wired. I’ve even swapped Ethernet cables/channels thinking there might be an issue, every time only the vizio has the amber light. The connection test on the vizio is usually around 15mbps but in the research I’ve done, the vizio connection test is not fully maxing out the speeds so that can’t really be used as a true test? Every once in a while after watching a video on YouTube directly from the app on the tv, I will need to close out of the app and start it again since a new selection of a video will not load or other videos in the category won’t even load a thumbnail when scrolling right to view videos in that category. I’ve also had the app close already for no reason. Sometimes I’ll notice slight pauses in video and/or the picture is not as clear for a few seconds. The Twitch app when chromecasting also buffers/fuzzy picture sometimes which I rarely experience on any other device. I guess my concern is if this is normal with the chromecast since I haven’t used it before or if there may be an issue. I’m not sure what type of wireless card is in the tv but it may just not be able to support the higher speeds. Thanks!
I have hard wired the TV.
him7403 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off