Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes

post #2641 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
I bought a Vizio M55 2017 the other day, and I've just learned noticed that Vizio has released their 2018 models, at least through their website, so I'm wondering if I should keep the 2017 or return it and wait for the 2018.

I see that the 2018 has a TV tuner and I believe all of its HDMI inputs are 2.0, while the 2017 has no tuner and only one of its HDMI inputs is 2.0.

On the flip side, the 2017 has Ultra Color Spectrum, while the 2018 does not (it's only in the P series for 2018).

We haven't used a TV tuner in at least a dozen years and clean OTA signals are hard to get where I live, so the only thing that concerns me is a possible difference in technology that results in a better picture and, if so, whether we'd notice the difference. This will be our main TV, and we'll use it mostly for movies.

If the price were the same and our old TV weren't fading away, I wouldn't mind waiting for some thorough reviews of the 2018. But I know from reviews and in-store comparisons that the 2017 is a good set, so right now it's the proverbial bird in the hand. It's also $100 less, which would pay for a Roku Ultra (or equivalent) for 4k streaming.

I know nobody can make up my mind for me, but I'm curious what others think. Thanks in advance.
Keep the '17 and don't worry about the port issue. Read back a few pages why. Also if you have a bunch on 4k sources that you just have to have full color space for and/or 2.x/HDCP 2.2 just get a cheep switch from Amazon and front end the TV with that. I have he Roofull 3 port that was ~$35 and it has a very good remote to switch with AND is auto switching (not so good for cable boxes and Roku since they are always on, but the remote and front panel switch work well). They also sell a 5 port version for ~$55. There is another brad out there but I chose this one due to features/specs and great support I'm getting from the company. I think the other brand might have a lifetime warranty and slightly better specs but I think the one I got was less? It's been a while since I purchased it. I've had a few issues but I think that was solved with a replacement they sent me for free.

Vizio seems to be taking away features as they lower prices. IF and WHEN I buy another is it will probably be a P series (current model on the way out either when the next new ones come out or a tad before like I did on this one). I would like to have a larger screen but need better furniture before that happens and of course I'm waiting for costs to come down. Thought I wanted an OLED but reading about all the issues has turned me off. I would NEVER consider a Sony or Sammy. Possibly a LG but the Vizio seem to be the features vs. cost leader these days. I just hope my M55-E0 holds out as long as my other (current and past) TVs have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
ok, so i am a bit of a trailer head. i download a mkv 4k trailer for Infinity War on to a thumb drive and plug it in to usb port and....file not compatible. sigh.

so mp4's work. what do u guys use to convert from mkv to mp4?
If you are a Mac user MP4 Tools works great.
post #2643 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiformous View Post
So with [email protected] content from the OPPO to the TV, the maximum supported input is 8-bit 4:2:0 across all HDMI inputs (including HDMI 1 with Full UHD Color disabled). For [email protected] it's 12-bit 4:2:2. This is with the OPPO output set to Auto, so that it communicates with the TV for the allowed signal. You need the Full UHD Color enabled for [email protected] 12-bit 4:4:4 or [email protected] 8-bit 4:4:4 / [email protected] 12-bit 4:2:2.

I mention the 8-bit limit for what the TV can accept (depending on HDMI port and settings) for [email protected] content because I found the OPPO will deliver a 10-bit HDR10 video as an 8-bit video and still kick the TV into HDR10 mode. This is with Full UHD Color disabled, or on HDMI ports 2-4. Of course, with Full UHD Color enabled, I can get full [email protected] 12-bit 4:2:2 for the video, but it's neat to see the Oppo can do that.

You can find a download link to the HLG test file I use here. It's [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0 (again, the OPPO can deliver this as an 8-bit 4:2:0 video with Full UHD Disabled or on non-HDMI 1 port and still kick the TV into HLG mode.) There are also a bunch of other UHD test clips found here, including some Dolby Vision files.

I haven't used the OPPO HDMI input much. But I just hooked up a cable box to it to see the input/output info. I get 1080i60 8-bit 4:4:4 from the cable box according to the OPPO info, and connected to HDMI 1 with Full UHD Auto enabled and the OPPO output set to Auto, it gives me 2160p60 8-bit 4:4:4. Disabling Full UHD Color bumps it down to 4:2:0, as expected. Setting the OPPO to Source Direct, the output is 1080i60 12-bit 4:4:4 (regardless of Full UHD Color setting).
Gotcha and thanks for the HLG info. I was searching for test files yesterday and could not find any. I forgot you were referring to the full color off of port 1. I get 10 bit in 12 bit out with the Conmcast box fill [email protected] but it is 4:2:0 (I think). I only have a couple options on the box to select. Pretty much full bore and 30p for 4k then it drops to HD and SD options. I need to fiddle with the Oppo to see if I can get better color space from the DVR. It works and looks pretty dang good now that I got all the code sorted on on of my 4k boxes. Get full 10bit HDR from both the X1 OnDemand (not much out there now only the Olympics) and I finally got the NF app to behave and give me HDR. No DV yet since they are working on that. So that may be another 3 years to see that ;-)

Oh and yes plugging things into the Oppo input is rather fun since you can see at a glance info and if you hold down the info button you get advanced info that tells you almost everything you would want to know is going on. It's helped me diagnose several things and as you point out you can manipulate things and get HDR in situations where you normally would not.

BTW you may or may not know this but the main output port on the Oppo has ARC. Pretty handy but they don't do DD+ yet (and I'm assuming the Visio does not either) so I opt for other options rather than the TV for everything other than DV streaming.
multiformous likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought a Vizio M55 2017 the other day, and I've just learned noticed that Vizio has released their 2018 models, at least through their website, so I'm wondering if I should keep the 2017 or return it and wait for the 2018.

I see that the 2018 has a TV tuner and I believe all of its HDMI inputs are 2.0, while the 2017 has no tuner and only one of its HDMI inputs is 2.0.

On the flip side, the 2017 has Ultra Color Spectrum, while the 2018 does not (it's only in the P series for 2018).

We haven't used a TV tuner in at least a dozen years and clean OTA signals are hard to get where I live, so the only thing that concerns me is a possible difference in technology that results in a better picture and, if so, whether we'd notice the difference. This will be our main TV, and we'll use it mostly for movies.

If the price were the same and our old TV weren't fading away, I wouldn't mind waiting for some thorough reviews of the 2018. But I know from reviews and in-store comparisons that the 2017 is a good set, so right now it's the proverbial bird in the hand. It's also $100 less, which would pay for a Roku Ultra (or equivalent) for 4k streaming.

I know nobody can make up my mind for me, but I'm curious what others think. Thanks in advance.
I forgot to mention that unless you have an AVR (and even if you do) you will want to save the money and not buy a Roku, unless the Vizio does not have the apps/channels you want. The only way right now to get DV with streaming is with; ATV, GCC, UHD player that supports it and has streaming apps (several out there but there are issues with just about all of them), or a few select gaming consoles. It's much easier to do on the TV, but if you want more than DD5.1/DTS then you many need to look into other options depending on your AVR and other component capabilities. If that is even applicable to you.

Also the built in (Chrome(cast)) feature is rather nifty. Supports 4k (at least for me) and I can stream ANY video file that my mac will read to it using an app called Video Stream (that also has apps for your phone and tablet that allow you to control things). Also anything that is streamable through Chrome on your devices are cartable to the TV. Rather handy and in my case that is where all the files I download end up anyway, so....The only downside I have seen is that it coverts all audio to plain vanilla DD and I have only been able to get a max of 5.1 so far but for most things it's just fine. DTS encoded files do sound much better than DD ones, but not as good as if you play the file through a Roku, Oppo, plugged into the TV etc. and get full DTS and/or other codecs.
post #2645 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
ok, so i am a bit of a trailer head. i download a mkv 4k trailer for Infinity War on to a thumb drive and plug it in to usb port and....file not compatible. sigh.

Trailer head? Sure... anyway idk why you are having trouble. I have plenty of mkv files being 264 & 265 so I don’t know why you can’t play mkv files.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #2646 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Trailer head? Sure... anyway idk why you are having trouble. I have plenty of mkv files being 264 & 265 so I don’t know why you can’t play mkv files.
u can play the mkv files from a thumb drive that is connected directly into one of the usb ports on the tv?
post #2647 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Keep the '17 and don't worry about the port issue.
Thank you! As I said, I'm the one who makes the decision, but a firm answer like that is helpful, as is all the detail you provided. I was already looking at HDMI switches, and I'll check out the one you referenced.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that unless you have an AVR (and even if you do) you will want to save the money and not buy a Roku, unless the Vizio does not have the apps/channels you want.
Thank you for that, too. I was looking at 4k streaming players because I've read that the Vizio's buit-in apps tend to show judder with 24p sources, but it would be foolish not to try for myself.

We have an AVR which is nice, but I realize now that it's also old. I think that the $100 in relative savings on the Vizio would be better put toward a new AVR. (Oh, goodie, more research!)

BTW, what is GCC? I'm still learning my way around acronyms and abbreviations, but while I can find others by searching, I can't turn up GCC.

Thanks again!
post #2648 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
u can play the mkv files from a thumb drive that is connected directly into one of the usb ports on the tv?
Yes sir

Only issue I’ve had is if it’s bigger than 4gb it has to be formatted to NTFS from FAT
Edit: if the file is bigger than 4gb the drive has to be NTFS

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
post #2649 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! As I said, I'm the one who makes the decision, but a firm answer like that is helpful, as is all the detail you provided. I was already looking at HDMI switches, and I'll check out the one you referenced.

Thank you for that, too. I was looking at 4k streaming players because I've read that the Vizio's buit-in apps tend to show judder with 24p sources, but it would be foolish not to try for myself.

We have an AVR which is nice, but I realize now that it's also old. I think that the $100 in relative savings on the Vizio would be better put toward a new AVR. (Oh, goodie, more research!)

BTW, what is GCC? I'm still learning my way around acronyms and abbreviations, but while I can find others by searching, I can't turn up GCC.

Thanks again!
You are welcome. GCC is Google Chrome Cast specifically the Ultra but they are not cheep and rarely discounted unless you pick them up 2nd hand, on the grey market (fleeBay) etc. and you really don't need it since you have all that functionality in the TV anyhow. I haven't seen ANY stutter in mine nor any of the motion issues in mine, yet. I'm mostly a TV watcher and a shiny disc player when it comes to movies since I am spoiled and have a locally run video store down the street that stocks all the UHD movies. I'm also not much of a "streamer" but I do download a lot of content and "cast" it to the TV. Course there are several NF shows I am watching now since I've adopted 4k and HDR UI guess it is time to enjoy all that content I am paying for each month.

There are a bunch more streamers out there like the Nvida Shield and a few others but they are way more than I want to spend on something that I rarely use. I usually try to get my content from cable, my library, the video store or Redbox to keep the usage down on my 1TB capped GigE Craptastic Internet. I am slowly changing over to 4k streaming, so that cap is going to be cramping my style soon.....

Hopefully you got a deal on your M55 (I assume it is an E0). that's the exact TV I have. Picked it up a couple moths ago for an incredible deal. Could not pass it up. Hope to find a bigger nicer one next year this time in the same situation and that this one hold s up.

And again there is no good reason to pay full price for an '18 when you can save on a '17 being closed out. Better yet would be ab open box or store demo at an even further reduced price. I guess I should go by Mr. Cheep Kludge ;-)
post #2650 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again!
I too have had no issues regarding judder with any 24p content

post #2651 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yes sir

Only issue I’ve had is if it’s bigger than 4gb it has to be formatted to NTFS from FAT
Edit: if the file is bigger than 4gb the drive has to be NTFS
Great to see they work. The files that failed are 4k files with lossless audio. Less than 4gb. Any success with those?
post #2652 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great to see they work. The files that failed are 4k files with lossless audio. Less than 4gb. Any success with those?
I think the highest audio I’ve had is lossly not lossless but 4K or HDR10 I’ve had no issue with. The only file I haven’t had work was Dolby Atmos track yet the video worked, just no audio. It said on screen the format was not supported.

As far as lossless it should be fine, I just don’t like the extra gbs it takes up.

I would just try transferring them to another drive and see if that works. I’m using a 128gb SanDisk usb

SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ60-128G-B35 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YX9OGW..._Hh9ZAbV7JA8JR

post #2653 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You are welcome. GCC is Google Chrome Cast specifically the Ultra....
Ah -- that makes sense. I have a 2nd gen Chromecast (not ultra) was was super cheap on sale, and it works well when it works. I haven't considered the Ultra, but I've seen no reason to. I prefer a streaming device that is self-contained, and as long as the apps in the Vizio work well, I'll have no reason to look elsewhere unless I want some of the more obscure, free channels available on Roku.

To be clear about judder/stutter, where it's been noted is in the streaming apps. All who have reviewed this unit say that it accepts 24p directly from discs or files without any trouble. However, I was just re-reading rtings's review, and they advise that if judder is seen, the Pure Cinema setting will help.

I got a decent deal on the Vizio, probably not the best, but it'll do. It's our first new TV in 8 years, stepping up from a Hitachi 40" plasma we bought used and which has seen better days. I'm looking forward to getting the Vizio set up this weekend. I'm tempted to do it now, but I'm more comfortable with an extra set of hands for a screen this large.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.
post #2654 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I too have had no issues regarding judder with any 24p content
Thank you! It's always good to hear from someone else on an issue like this. As I noted in my other reply, reports of judder have been about the in-set apps, not from discs or local files.
post #2655 of 3333 Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
DaBateman's recommendation to try a different drive is a good one. I've seen flash drives slow down and start to die after four or five re-writes.

Another idea: run one of the files through XMedia Recode with the MKV container, copying the video but converting the audio to AAC or AC-3, depending on what the Vizio will recognize.

Of course, if a file has Digital Rights Management (DRM), as in iTunes video, it will not play without the proper digital authorization. Some devices and apps won't say what the problem is, they'll just say it's not recognized.
DaBateman likes this.
post #2656 of 3333 Old 04-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

You can play any mkv up to and including 2160p HEVC through the Plex App, that's the media player app that comes pre-installed. Just run the free Plex server software on your computer and stream through your wifi network or directly wired through your router.
post #2657 of 3333 Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
On the last page I asked some questions about the 75" M Series on sale at Costco for $1500 and then I ultimately decided to purchase it. I said I would come back with initial impressions as I had some PQ trepidation moving from a 9ish year old 58" plasma (a Panasonic 58s1 to be precise). My thoughts so far are that I really like the new tv and plan to keep it provided no issues arise. For me, the size alone going from 58 to 75 is worth it even with a degradation in PQ, as long as it is not drastic. I don't think it is drastic at all, and in fact, kind of think I like the new PQ better. It has less glare for sure, which helps PQ. It is definitely brighter, which has appeal. I have seen no blocking or digitization. Even though it is a 60 hz panel, I watched both hockey Saturday night and the Masters Sunday and did not notice any obvious motion blur. I'm sure if I slowed it down and ran some test it is there, but it did not bother me / did not see it watching normal content. Last night, I also watched an episode of Homeland, with several dark scenes. I thought I could see differences in the shade of dark and "shadow detail" at least as well as the plasma.

So, all in all, I'm very happy I made the purchase and wondering what took me so long. AND, WHILE I'M SURE experts would ridicule me somewhat for this statement, for my situation, I'm also glad I did not spend $1,000 more to get a 65" OLED. I'm sure the OLED would be much better - but to me the PQ on this tv is "good enough" that I'm happy to have a 75" instead of a 65" and a thousand bucks in my pocket (size being the main consideration). All of this said, in a few years assuming pricing comes down like I suspect - I'll probably be shopping for a 77" OLED to replace this one!

Thanks to everyone for their help.
I too, am happy with the M75-E1 from Costco. Now I’m just agonizing over a new receiver....

Btw, no motion blur at all for me.
post #2658 of 3333 Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 PM

I got the M55-e0 set up today to check it out before installation, and I'm very happy. I checked all inputs and outputs except for the component video (don't have a box with component) and they all work well, to avoid surprises after installation.

I don't have a UHD BD player yet so I can't say how a UHD BD will look, but if BDs are any indication, UHD BDs will be dazzling. BDs look great, almost three-dimensional, and DVDs also look very good.

Streaming is excellent, with no judder that I can detect in HD (we haven't signed up for any UHD service yet).

Overall, the set's picture is a little on the bright side, but I haven't yet used any of the internal calibrations or done any adjusting on my own.

I have the cable box and BD player running directly to the M55 via HDMI and an optical audio cable going from the M55 to the AVR. Surround sound is passing through the M55, which is helpful, because our AVR doesn't pass-through audio on standby and my wife doesn't like bothering with the AVR. The M55's internal speakers are terrible, but a small amp and an extra pair of speakers took care of that. (The M55's auto-switching speaker function is nice touch.)

On the down side, some TV shows/movies I tuned in on cable look a little dull and exhibit some fine jagged lines. However, it doesn't appear to be constant from channel to channel, so it may be a matter of poor transmission and/or source material at the channel. For example, Star Wars on TNT was a little weak, but Lord of the Rings on Starz and a ball game on ESPN (I think) looked very good.

Netflix also exhibited some fine jagged lines on a couple of movies, but I expect their UHD service will fix that. I'll see if it seems to be worth the extra charge.

Thanks again to those who offered their thoughts and advice!
post #2659 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
hi need some help. i bought the M for my girlfriends mother heard good things. My problem is I didn't realize there's no tv tuner on this thing. In Canada her cable company is Stubbs which there is no box just cable directly into the tv, which of coarse I can't do. Is there any type of devise I can use to solve this problem.
post #2660 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS99 View Post
hi need some help. i bought the M for my girlfriends mother heard good things. My problem is I didn't realize there's no tv tuner on this thing. In Canada her cable company is Stubbs which there is no box just cable directly into the tv, which of coarse I can't do. Is there any type of devise I can use to solve this problem.
Yes, there's plenty of inexpensive external tv tuners out there, especially if you shop amazon. Just make sure you grab one with an HDMI out.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #2661 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Quote:
Yes, there's plenty of inexpensive external tv tuners out there, especially if you shop amazon. Just make sure you grab one with an HDMI out.
Yeah, I picked up three used tuners for really good deals on mercari and eBay. I first tried an rca digital converter box, which worked fine but had a REALLY small and flimsy remote. I next tried a TiVo series 3 hd with a lifetime sub that I got online for about $100 bucks. The UI is much better than rca’s but because they’re getting old now they tend to have power supply failures and I don’t think it supports full 1080p. Then I tried an Ematic digital converter I got for about $15. Has a similar interface to the rca (which isn’t as user friendly as the TiVo) but has a much better remote. It’s a little sensitive so you can’t put the converter in a cabinet or anything but it’s really good value for what it does! Hope this helps!

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160
post #2662 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Terk makes one that can be had for 30-50 here in the states and has dvr functionality. As mentioned there are many out there. Monoprice should have some options and is a good choice due to their liberal return policy. Personally I use an old jvc d-vhs deck that has an atsc1.0 tuner but rarely if ever need it. You might check with the cable company as thye often will have boxes available for folks in your situation but there may be a rental cost involved. I'm sure you would need one for dvr. I mentioned the terk one since I see it almost everywhere I go. Also they still sell the basic tuner boxes like they were practically giving away when atsc1.0 was released her though they are much more expensive. I still have 3 unused in my storage closet. I don't understand Canadian TV so YMMV.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 04-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.
post #2663 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I posted in another forum but think the respectable threads would get more hits. I have read numerous forums and am torn between the P and M series. I like the size for price ratio of the M series but the ap has better reviews. I sit roughly 12 feet away and have a 60" currently and I feel it could be bigger. With that said, I also want the greatest picture quality for the money. I am unable to find the P series locally to view. So my major question is how much better is the P series than the M. I will be mainly using for 4k movies and xbox gaming. I am looking for opinions from people who have extensively reviewed both sets. Thanks

5.2.2. Display: Sony XBR75X940e, Speakers: Monitor Audio RS1, RSLCR, RS-FX, Atmos: Emotiva E2, Subs: SVS PB-12NSD x 2, Receiver:Denon AVR-X3300, Amp: Rotel RMB-1075, Sources: Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Denon DBP-1610, Roku Ultra, Toshiba HD-A3, Power Conditioners:Monster HTS-2600, HDP1800, Remote: Harmony 950. Desktop: Emotiva B1, Klipsch Powergate, SVS SB-12NSD PC: Ryzen 2700x, EVGA RTX 2080, 32gb DDR4
post #2664 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Terk makes one that can be had for 30-50 here in the states and has dvr functionality. As mentioned there are many out there. Monoprice should have some options and is a good choice due to their liberal return policy. Personally I use an old jvc d-vhs deck that has an atsc1.0 tuner but rarely if ever need it. You might check with the cable company as thye often will have boxes available for folks in your situation but there may be a rental cost involved. I'm sure you would need one for dvr. I mentioned the terk one since I see it almost everywhere I go. Also they still sell the basic tuner boxes like they were practically giving away when atsc1.0 was released her though they are much more expensive. I still have 3 unused in my storage closet. I don't understand Canadian TV so YMMV.
Thank you Sir, now I feel a little better. Talk about feeling like an *ss. Women can't even use the TV that I recommend at that price range
post #2665 of 3333 Old 04-15-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Sir, now I feel a little better. Talk about feeling like an *ss. Women can't even use the TV that I recommend at that price range
You are welcome. I found some other cheeper ones but they are compost and not HDMI. Mediasonic or whatever. Sold at Wallymart here. Don't feel bad. I didn't know that this "Home Theater Monitor" lacked a tuner either before I purchased and brought it home. I have used an OTA tuner exactly zero times since moving into this new home nearly 6 years ago. If I ever do get around to completely cutting the cable cord then it might be an issue, but there are plenty of other solutions out there.
post #2666 of 3333 Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 AM

I have a brief update to my last post:

I was mistaken about the Auto setting for the internal speakers. It turns out that the M55 was not turning them off when the amp connected to the analog audio output was turned on. I'm guessing that that only works with a Vizio soundbar.

This isn't a big deal; I mention it only in case anyone else runs into it. When I first connected the amp and speakers, I got an odd boxy sound that wasn't there when I used that amp with my PC.
post #2667 of 3333 Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zan40281 View Post
You can play any mkv up to and including 2160p HEVC through the Plex App, that's the media player app that comes pre-installed. Just run the free Plex server software on your computer and stream through your wifi network or directly wired through your router.
thanks. i will try this when i get home tonight.

i did manage to play a couple of 4K HDR10 files from 4kmedia.org that look gorgeous. They are TS files. So i still have not been able to play 4K MKV files directly from a stick yet. Could be the files from that particular website. I will look for others and get back to let u know.

So if u havent seen what ur tv is capable of because, like me, u dont have a 4k bluray player yet, try those files from 4kmedia.org and click on HDR UHD Demos.
post #2668 of 3333 Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post
I posted in another forum but think the respectable threads would get more hits. I have read numerous forums and am torn between the P and M series. I like the size for price ratio of the M series but the ap has better reviews. I sit roughly 12 feet away and have a 60" currently and I feel it could be bigger. With that said, I also want the greatest picture quality for the money. I am unable to find the P series locally to view. So my major question is how much better is the P series than the M. I will be mainly using for 4k movies and xbox gaming. I am looking for opinions from people who have extensively reviewed both sets. Thanks
Most people will appreciate bigger screen size over picture quality details most wont notice
post #2669 of 3333 Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiformous View Post
Q: Are you watching a 4K video at 24p?

Q: Are you using a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X?
A. Yes. You need Full UHD Color for [email protected] 12-bit 4:2:2 support for those consoles to reach their potential.

This was helpful. When I first configured my Xbox One X I had 12-bit 4:2:2 set and I was getting the HDMI blinking issue that others mentioned a few days ago, so I turned it off. I turned it back on yesterday and it seems to look better. As for the screen blinking, I can confirm that if I have my Xbox One running on HDMI 1 directly, and my receiver on and routed to HDMI 3 (accidentally), the TV freaks. I will stick to TOSLINK for audio, but I also have a HDMI monoprice cable on the way thanks to everyone's suggestions.

I do have another issue, and it REALLY might be a personal problem, but if anyone has any insights it would be great. I'm getting motion sick when gaming on this set and I'm not sure why. I have it set to game mode, I sit about 10-11 feet from the TV, and when I'm it FPS games it makes me ill. It's supposed to have good input lag and I've rarely had this issue in the past (and not at all on my 2015 M-series). The only other factor I can think of is I'm sitting lower on the Futon so my visual center is lower on the set than with past setups. The set is on an Ikea Stand and rests 19" above the ground, while the futon seat is 16-17" high.

One more thought, could it be input lag sensitivity?

Anyone have any thoughts, settings? If I get past this I'd be OK, but I need to figure it out.

Last edited by johaan444; 04-18-2018 at 03:20 PM.
post #2670 of 3333 Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I believe only HDMI 2.0 will allow "true" UHD signals without some chroma-subsampling limitations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page