AVS Forum banner

Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread

547K views 3K replies 459 participants last post by  johnboy85 
#1 ·
I know there are people posting in other threads with information and observations from their new 2017 Vizio M Series displays and I thought it was time to start a dedicated thread for owners. As I am not yet an owner of the 2017 M Series, but the owner of a 2016 M70-D3, I am anxious to see reviews and hear what owners of this years iteration have to say!

#18 ·
I second this..cant find any calibration info yet

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Rtings should have a review out within the next couple weeks. I understand they have already purchased an M Series, and gave mid-June as an eta for the review.

They usually include a section with settings, and a calibration report, as part of the review process. I wouldn't doubt that they will highlight differences between the Vizio M & P Series displays.

I am awaiting this review so I can make a decision between the Vizio P and M or see if I need to wait for the TCL P series as I want a 65" display. CNET also said they would be reviewing the M, but that was over a month ago and nothing from them as of yet.

#3 ·
Ok question for everyone. My new 2017 m series has been great since i got it a few days ago but now i got a slight hiccup. This only happens when casting netflix 4k DV content. If i begin casting netflix and say im watching just an HD program, if i stop and switch to a 4k DV video it will load and begin playing, however i get split second flashes as what i can only describe as digital data pixelation, it is like a 2 second flash and it will continue to do this until i stop the video close my netflix app, force close it, open it back up and begin casting again at which point the 4k DV video loads and plays just fine, no flashing digital blocks/pixelation. all other content and sources play fine, roku, blu-ray, HD and 4k content, youtube casting etc never experience the issue, i also found a video of almost exactly the same problem but on an lg oled display, mine looks just like that when it happens.

#4 ·
What's Vizio say? Where did you get it?
A problem like only after a few days I would think will only get worse. If vizio can't explain why this is happening I think you should take that thing back.
Even at Vizio prices these tv's cost WAY to much money to put up with that not even for a few seconds!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well good news, i decided to check to see if i could get a video of my tv doing it, however i couldnt replicate the issue. I thought it was quite odd since i could always get it to do it like i explained above. I just happen to check my firmware and apparently at some point today my set updated from 3.2.8 to 3.2.13 and this new firmware seems to have completely fixed my issue!

#8 ·
Hello guys, I picked up my M series 55 inches on the weekend. I absolutely love it. This is my first TV ever after leaving my parents house where we had a Sony. Coming from an old LCD (2009) to this amazing 4k display is quite of a difference. 4K content is beyond belief for me but I noticed that HD content upscaling is not too impressive..it's nice but not mind blowing. What do you guys think about it? Are you absolutely satisfied with the upscaling?

#11 ·
So far the biggest improvement that I noticed is HDR. The addition of WCG makes a big difference. The overall screen brightness has been improved not sure if it's as bright as the P when it comes to full screen but it can get small highlights bright something that the P does not do at least not yet.

I created a picture mode on my 2016 M using the vivid settings for HDR I know it's not as accurate but was brighter than calibrated mode. On the 2017 calibrated is brighter than 2016 Ms vivid I even set the gamma to about 2.2 and it's still bright. I used 1.8 to 2.0 for the 2016 M.

#19 ·
Looking forward to the rtings so i can try their calibration settings. So far i would say what amazes me most with this tv compared to the other 4k tv it replaced is the FALD and HDR. The fald allows blacks to be black but whites to be bright without washing out the whole picture like my old tv. Also this is my first time seeing HDR and it really makes the picture pop in a way that makes you say wow.

#20 ·
Hello, I recently purchased the M55-E0 and it's my first HDR TV. I'm a little confused how HDR is displayed on it. It's my understanding that the HDMI-1 port is the only input that can pass HDR/WCG-encoded content, correct? Currently my only HDR source is casting 4k HDR videos from YouTube, but I'm not sure if the TV is actually displaying the video in HDR/WCG. When I'm casting YouTube HDR videos and I look at the "System Information" menu the "HDR" field about half way down the list always says "No". Does this mean the content currently on display is not HDR? Or that the HDR feature hasn't been activated on the TV? This sounds like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure the TV is actually displaying in HDR. Is there a setting within the menu I have to enable in order for the TV to display HDR/WCG content? Just not sure why the HDR value says "no" all the time under the system information menu. Thanks

#21 ·
Youtube HDR is currently not supported through casting. If you have a roku premier plus or ultra on hdmi 1 with uhd color enable you can view YouTube HDR videos. Currently hdr casting is supported on netflix ans vudu that i know of.

#23 · (Edited)
@acc41381

The display doesn't support the codec Google uses for YT HDR. Therefore you'll need an external device that supports it.
Currently it's only the mentioned Rokus, Chromecast Ultra and some of the UHD BD players. I don't believe any of the gaming consoles support it either.

#1,628 ·
G

This just slays me. Built-in Chromecast and HDR are both major selling points for this set, yet you can't watch YouTube in HDR.

I don't even mind paying for a Chromecast Ultra, but then I have to take up the precious HDMI 1 port, no?

What a cluster... sounds like it's more Google fault with their non-standard codec, but this just kills me.

#26 ·
I don't know if I totally understand the overall rating for this set....it received a 7.8 while the 2016 received a 7.9. It appears that the 2016 model scored slightly better than the 2017 model...I guess the trade-off of the 120 hz panel and number of dimming zones for WCG and brightness was almost a wash. I would love to see the two different models side by side. Overall I am still very happy with my M70-D3. I think it represents a real bargain. If there was more availability of HDR content I might have a different view, but I think I can enjoy my 2016 Vizio M Series for a few years and wait to see if Directv and Comcast offer any more content than is available now.

I'll bet the 2018 P Series is going to knock your socks off..

#28 ·
I have both and honestly I don't notice a big difference due to the amount of zones, but I am actually watching content not a bunch of white shapes moving over a black background. I also have a dedicated screen for PC gaming so 120hz was not important to me. Now I can say the WCG and peak brightness greatly improves the HDR experiences.

#35 ·
Ok so instead of using calibrated dark, i used just calibrated and plugged in all the rtings calibration numbers including color calibration and 11point just to see how it looked. The only thing i changed was the backlight setting to 65 for the brightness of the room. Im completely floored by how good this thing looks now. Here are some 4k video stills, not the best but they get the point across.

Games Chess Chessboard Indoor games and sports Board game
Face Hair Beauty Head Eyebrow
Frog Tree frog Agalychnis True frog Amphibian
Reptile Scaled reptile Macro photography Adaptation Organism
Mammal Cheetah Vertebrate Terrestrial animal Wildlife
Carnival Photography Stock photography Event Art

#36 ·
Ok so instead of using calibrated dark, i used just calibrated and plugged in all the rtings calibration numbers including color calibration and 11point just to see how it looked. The only thing i changed was the backlight setting to 65 for the brightness of the room. Im completely floored by how good this thing looks now. Here are some 4k video stills, not the best but they get the point across.

Have you used an external device like an Xbox One S or UHD Blu ray? I have my One S hooked up to hdmi 1 and feel like the HDR appears dark on Netflix and Amazon 4K HDR content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 ·
So i got another weird bug, this is the 2nd time its happened. I came home from work to find the tv has turned itself ON. The first time i thought ok maybe i forgot to turn it off after lunch. Today however i just walked in thr door and the tv was on, and i havent been home all day. CEC is off. Im going try switching the tv to eco mode instead of the instant on see if that doesnt work

#40 ·
@bpa88

Some people mentioned that the Vudu app on the a tablet\phone can cause this.
The app randomly casts to the display, turning it on without actually showing any video on it.

#41 ·
To any 2017 m series owners i have a question

The past years m series specs were always decent but the brightness when you seen them in stores was always lacking Big time and the picture seemed dull do to lack of brightness, has that been totally addressed with the 2017 set ? Are all the owners in this thread satisfied with the brightness of this set ??

#43 ·
I watch in a darkened room with a self-calibrated screen, and I'll say that I've never had a TV that needed to be turned up past 50% brightness (usually less), including my 2016 M55-D0. Demo mode in stores is the worst possible way to evaluate a TV.

Obviously, with HDR content, peak brightness matters. How much it matters depends on how much of your viewing is HDR content. With SDR content, in dimmed rooms, I think most TVs are sufficiently bright. And in stores, where all those TVs are probably not being fed HDR content anyway, choosing based on torch-mode performance seems like a poor choice, IMO.

I think it's clear from the rtings.com reviews (compare the 2016 and 2017 M Series side-by-side with the P-Series as a benchmark) that the 2017 M-series has improved HDR performance at the cost of somewhat reduced SDR performance. For me, since 95% of my viewing is still SDR, and since the 2016's HDR performance is IMO still at least acceptable, I think it's a better choice, overall. If you want a Vizio that improves both SDR and HDR performance over the 2016 M-Series, you'd need to go to the P-Series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.