Official 2017 LG UJ7700 owners thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Official 2017 LG UJ7700 owners thread

Haven’t seen a thread for the new LG UJ7700 Models yet so figured I'd start one. Picked up the LG 49UJ7700 the other day for a replacement bedroom TV. I had originally picked up the 49 inch Samsung MU6500, but I decided I wanted a few higher end options on my TV so I exchanged it for the LG TV.
Looking at the specs from the UH7700 series to the UJ7700 series, it looks like LG made this model a little less premium. The 2017 no longer has a Quantum Display and has a Native Refresh of 60hz now. Though being a bedroom TV that wasn't enough to deter me.

Pros:

Remote – Love the Remote, still one of the best I’ve used on a smart TV.
Web OS 3.5 – Love the interface, though I can’t really tell much difference from OS 3.0, they said its faster but I don’t see it.
Picture Quality – Looks great
HDR – All 3 Major HDR versions

Cons:

Stand - Whoever thought the stand on this TV was a good idea needs to be fired. It has 2 legs, 1 on each side, which basically means your TV table needs to be at least the width of the TV. So, in my case, my TV table wasn't 49 inches long so now I need a new one or need to wall mount it.
Ads - This is annoyance I have with my LG 60UH8500 also. Don't put Ads on my TV, I already paid you for it.

Additional Stuff:

The LG TV Plus App doesn’t seem to be working, says it can’t find my TV, maybe the App just needs to be updated but the latest update does say it supports the UJ7700 Tv’s.

Multi-View: Couldn't get this to work on my UH8500 and can't get it working on my UJ7700. It seems you can only have 1 Input + a Tuner, which seems to defeat the purpose of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post
Haven’t seen a thread for the new LG UJ7700 Models yet so figured I'd start one. Picked up the LG 49UJ7700 the other day for a replacement bedroom TV. I had originally picked up the 49 inch Samsung MU6500, but I decided I wanted a few higher end options on my TV so I exchanged it for the LG TV.
Looking at the specs from the UH7700 series to the UJ7700 series, it looks like LG made this model a little less premium. The 2017 no longer has a Quantum Display and has a Native Refresh of 60hz now. Though being a bedroom TV that wasn't enough to deter me.

Pros:

Remote – Love the Remote, still one of the best I’ve used on a smart TV.
Web OS 3.5 – Love the interface, though I can’t really tell much difference from OS 3.0, they said its faster but I don’t see it.
Picture Quality – Looks great
HDR – All 3 Major HDR versions

Cons:

Stand - Whoever thought the stand on this TV was a good idea needs to be fired. It has 2 legs, 1 on each side, which basically means your TV table needs to be at least the width of the TV. So, in my case, my TV table wasn't 49 inches long so now I need a new one or need to wall mount it.
Ads - This is annoyance I have with my LG 60UH8500 also. Don't put Ads on my TV, I already paid you for it.

Additional Stuff:

The LG TV Plus App doesn’t seem to be working, says it can’t find my TV, maybe the App just needs to be updated but the latest update does say it supports the UJ7700 Tv’s.

Multi-View: Couldn't get this to work on my UH8500 and can't get it working on my UJ7700. It seems you can only have 1 Input + a Tuner, which seems to defeat the purpose of it.
Actually, there was a previous post about the UJ7700 series. The forum mods will let you know if something needs to be done about it. Probably not an issue.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-55uj7700.html

RTINGS has reviewed it too.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj7700
David B Wilkerson likes this.
post #3 of 47 Old 06-11-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP_NNN View Post
Actually, there was a previous post about the UJ7700 series. The forum mods will let you know if something needs to be done about it. Probably not an issue.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-55uj7700.html

RTINGS has reviewed it too.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj7700

Doesnt look like a review thread to me. Was just folks asking when it came out. But thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Ordered this TV from Ebay today, the LG 49uj7700 from BuyDig ($579). States delivery wont be until July 3rd though. Bought this tv solely with the intention to 100% game on it since the input lag is so low for 4k + HDR (11.3). I have a PS4 Pro as well as a Xbox One S that I will use this tv for and no PC.

I have a LG 65B6 OLED but when I game on it I am always worried about burn-in. I started to see image retention after yellow colors were on the screen for a bit so just decided to try this tv out and save the movie watching for the B6.

Web OS 3.0 is great on the B6 so I am looking forward to trying 3.5 out. I like the magic remote which the uj7700 comes with one too. I am hoping I can live with the picture quality but low input lag, shouldn't have to worry about burn-in and the low price I paid for it should help put me at ease and I can just concentrate on gaming it up

I realize why this tv may not be popular on this forum(mediocre picture quality) but hope people can see a great console gaming tv instead. I will report back once I have it up and running.
post #5 of 47 Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Ordered this TV from Ebay today, the LG 49uj7700 from BuyDig ($579). States delivery wont be until July 3rd though. Bought this tv solely with the intention to 100% game on it since the input lag is so low for 4k + HDR (11.3). I have a PS4 Pro as well as a Xbox One S that I will use this tv for and no PC.

I have a LG 65B6 OLED but when I game on it I am always worried about burn-in. I started to see image retention after yellow colors were on the screen for a bit so just decided to try this tv out and save the movie watching for the B6.

Web OS 3.0 is great on the B6 so I am looking forward to trying 3.5 out. I like the magic remote which the uj7700 comes with one too. I am hoping I can live with the picture quality but low input lag, shouldn't have to worry about burn-in and the low price I paid for it should help put me at ease and I can just concentrate on gaming it up

I realize why this tv may not be popular on this forum(mediocre picture quality) but hope people can see a great console gaming tv instead. I will report back once I have it up and running.
I purchased this TV for the exact same reason (gaming, not OLED), same size as you. For gaming, I think it is pretty good for the price. The picture quality is typical IPS, but for gaming, this thing is pretty good.
post #6 of 47 Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM

I purchased this TV for the exact same reason (gaming, not OLED), same size as you. For gaming, I think it is pretty good for the price. The picture quality is typical IPS, but for gaming, this thing is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks for your input and experience with this tv. It's still in transit via FedEX though.
post #7 of 47 Old 07-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Got the tv delivered with no problems. They left it on front porch without me having to sign.
Got it out of the box and set it up with Xbox one s as well as PS4 pro. So far tv seems great. Colors are awesome and since I view tv with lots of indirect light, blacks seems fine. Way better than I was expecting.
It is noticeably brighter too. I reread rtings review again and they tested sdr material in expert dark mode with local dimming on high which really impacted nits.
Since I am only using game mode and have local dimming off the nits are on par with my B6 oled and rtings graphs show that too with sdr material.
post #8 of 47 Old 07-05-2017, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I've had my 49Uj7700 for almost a month now (for my bedroom tv). And I love it just as much as my living room UH8500 tv. Web OS 3.5 is slightly faster, but other then that I can't tell much difference. The picture looks great and the volume on the TV is perfect for the bedroom.

I did finally get the LG Android App working. it seems you need to have the TV on Wifi for it to work. I had it plugged in with Ethernet, not sure why that would matter since they are both on the same network but oh well.
post #9 of 47 Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I am from Greece and this TV has not been released here. Does anyone know the European equivalent? I need this TV for its amazing input lag. Thanks.
Lefteris
post #10 of 47 Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good evening, I have a UJ7700 lg but when I see a program (netflix) that uses dolby vision the image is too dark and I do not see any major improvements over the same content without dolby vision. Do you have any advice on which mode to set and which parameters to set? And for hdr game (for example ps4 pro Horizon zero dawn) which settings do you use?
post #11 of 47 Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi All ,

i have the same screen but under different name in Middle east 55UJ752v

what did you find the best setting for this TV HDR & SDR & anyways to improve the contact
post #12 of 47 Old 08-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Curious

Quote:
Got the tv delivered with no problems. They left it on front porch without me having to sign.
Got it out of the box and set it up with Xbox one s as well as PS4 pro. So far tv seems great. Colors are awesome and since I view tv with lots of indirect light, blacks seems fine. Way better than I was expecting.
It is noticeably brighter too. I reread rtings review again and they tested sdr material in expert dark mode with local dimming on high which really impacted nits.
Since I am only using game mode and have local dimming off the nits are on par with my B6 oled and rtings graphs show that too with sdr material.
Hey Tony, I'm curious. Did you have any issues with the PS4 Pro not staying connected to the TV? I have the same tv, but 55", and my PS4 Pro cuts out randomly, but a lot, and I get a "No Connection in Selected Input" on the LG Screensaver
post #13 of 47 Old 08-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Hey Tony, I'm curious. Did you have any issues with the PS4 Pro not staying connected to the TV? I have the same tv, but 55", and my PS4 Pro cuts out randomly, but a lot, and I get a "No Connection in Selected Input" on the LG Screensaver[/QUOTE]

No issues playing the PS4 PRO for me. I've been playing for a couple hours at a time with no connection problems.
post #14 of 47 Old 08-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearshot_kid View Post
Hey Tony, I'm curious. Did you have any issues with the PS4 Pro not staying connected to the TV? I have the same tv, but 55", and my PS4 Pro cuts out randomly, but a lot, and I get a "No Connection in Selected Input" on the LG Screensaver
i have the same model but in the Middle east with different name (UJ75) , and i mainly use it with PS4 PRO & no problems at all with it
post #15 of 47 Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
No issues playing the PS4 PRO for me. I've been playing for a couple hours at a time with no connection problems.
Hi guys, what picture mode and settings are you using for hdr ps4 game and Dolby vision content?
post #16 of 47 Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Pa View Post
Hi guys, what picture mode and settings are you using for hdr ps4 game and Dolby vision content?
for me iam using Game MODE if Input is CONSOLE , and using Cinema mode if the INPUT is PC MODE as in PC mode the input mode is the lowest & the same regardless the mode.

but the PC mode with 4K resplution shows banding in colors even in menu & i don't know why , while on 1080p this banding is GONE.
post #17 of 47 Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Pa View Post
I'm just using game mode playing the PS4 Pro which when playing say mass effect andromeda hdr kicks in to game HDR mode. When I switch to PS4 apps (Netflix)I just switch to isf dark mode.

I am using rtings.com settings but using W5 instead of W30. Just set things to what you think looks good to you.
post #18 of 47 Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 90
With the recent buydig deal on the 60UJ7700 I expect to see some more owners here soon. Mine is still in transit, but I can ask a couple of questions that have been on my mind:
- does Amazon Video on WebOS 3.5 support 4K?
- can the TV pass DD5.1 Plus over HDMI ARC?
- does the Magic Remote use Bluetooth or some proprietary RF?
post #19 of 47 Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pretty happy with this TV overall. Only problem I had was I couldn't get the optical out to work with my receiver. I had no idea about HDMI ARC. Problem solved!
post #20 of 47 Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

What screen calibration settings do you use?
post #21 of 47 Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
What screen calibration settings do you use?
Depends on what I’m watching. I use hdr effect on low or cinema mostly. You?
post #22 of 47 Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21 View Post
Depends on what I’m watching. I use hdr effect on low or cinema mostly. You?
Default. Out of the box it looks just OK, not great. Haven't tweaked anything yet. I've done an audio & video upgrade at the same time, focusing on tweaking the audio part first, but interested in ideas on how to calibrate the video -- do you use any video files to help set things right?
post #23 of 47 Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Default. Out of the box it looks just OK, not great. Haven't tweaked anything yet. I've done an audio & video upgrade at the same time, focusing on tweaking the audio part first, but interested in ideas on how to calibrate the video -- do you use any video files to help set things right?
I've only had it a couple of weeks so I probably haven't checked out every menu option. That being said, I didn't notice any options where you could customize your settings, other that the pre-loaded options (vivid, cinema, etc.).
post #24 of 47 Old 09-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21 View Post
I've only had it a couple of weeks so I probably haven't checked out every menu option. That being said, I didn't notice any options where you could customize your settings, other that the pre-loaded options (vivid, cinema, etc.).
I will try these settings at some point:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj7700/settings

Though I'm not sure what to look for to make it look good. I wonder whether there are any video files out there that can be played from a Fire TV 4K box to help calibrate, like there used to be calibration DVDs back in the days (I don't have/use a Bluray/DVD player anymore).
post #25 of 47 Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I will try these settings at some point:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj7700/settings

Though I'm not sure what to look for to make it look good. I wonder whether there are any video files out there that can be played from a Fire TV 4K box to help calibrate, like there used to be calibration DVDs back in the days (I don't have/use a Bluray/DVD player anymore).
Nice find. I'll have to give those a shot.
post #26 of 47 Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Viewing environment matters, those may be good as a starting point and tweak from there. As for how and what test patterns to use ... still looking.
post #27 of 47 Old 11-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

After a lot of messing around with the TV settings, here are some of my discoveries and some settings that I've settled on.

First of all, it's important to disable the following:
Energy Saving - this can drastically reduce brightness if enabled
APS Picture Mode - same reason, do not use it
Motion Eye Care - under the picture modes, though it's set to Off by default except for APS mode. Don't turn it on, it's not worth it
LED Local Dimming - under picture modes. The implementation is so bad that I find it annoying. You can see the big vertical banding when movie credits are rolling or when you have white subtitles on dark scenes, the entire scene looks messed up. There are other ways to help black levels, see below.

So you don't get any image cropping, set the following:
Aspect Ratio: Original
Just Scan: On (this is the important one or you will be missing a small part around the edges of the screen)

To get nice warm colors, you can enable Eye Comfort Mode which is a global setting across all picture modes, so it works well with Standard for example. It may look too yellowish at first in particular if are used to out of the box cold colors but give it a try for a few days and your eyes will adjust and start to like, you will most likely find the cold blueish look "annoying" after a few days. If you find it too yellow, you can turn it off and instead set the Color Temperature to W30 or Warm2.

Speaking of color temperatures, some modes have the slider from W50 to C50, others have the Warm/Cold discrete selections. I think this is what they correspond to:
Warm3 = W50
Warm2 = W30
Warm1 = W?? (if someone knows, please post here)

Same deal for Gamma:
Low = 1.9
Medium = 2.2
High1 = 2.4
High2 = BT.1886

I've settled on using slightly modified either Standard or HDR Effect modes, but find myself staying in HDR Effect Strong most of the time:

Standard (changes from defaults):
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: W30
Dynamic Color: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Gamma: High1 (found this one to help black levels and colors in general though it may result in a slight detail loss)

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

LED Local Dimming: Off
TruMotion: Off (this is the Soap Opera Effect -- a matter of preference if you want it on or off, it doesn't seem to do a lot given the panel is 60Hz)

HDR Effect (either Medium or Strong, changes from defaults):
Color Temp: W30
LED Local Dimming: Off
TruMotion: Off

One annoying thing is that there are no global picture modes you can set that apply to all inputs. There's an Apply to all inputs function, but it only copies some of the settings and not to all inputs unfortunately (e.g. it doesn't seem to apply them to apps or the Channel Plus app), so you have to go in and manually configure the picture modes for each input (or at least double-check they are correct).

Please post your favorite settings or let me know how you like my settings above.

Overall this is not a bad TV, in particular for the low price I paid for it. Ignore what reviewers say about the RGBW panel, etc. Yes, OLED looks nice but not 3x nicer after I tweaked the settings on this TV. But then again, I'm not a videophile.
I have the 60" version and bought it because it filled a hole in the wall (aka cabinet) perfectly. No good 60" choices left these days.
David B Wilkerson likes this.

Last edited by SirDracula; 12-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #28 of 47 Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Hi All,

I picked up a 65" of this TV over the past black Friday. First off, it's an amazing TV! Awesome quality. I am here to ask the community if anyone knows what the Ethernet adapter speed is? I can't find any information online, except that LG recommends using a CAT7 cable. Which is insane considering CAT 7 is typically designed to connect business grade network devices (routers, switches, etc.) My home network is wired with CAT 6 and my router and switch are 1Gbps.

I'm having an issue playing 4K media from my wired network. The media file is about 80GB. It's sitting on a spinning disk HDD that is connected with a 6Mbps SATA cable into the motherboard, which that PC acts as an EMBY media server. I am using the EMBY app on the LG TV, and using the local IP address of my internal EMBY server. The file takes a while to load, and plays for a few seconds, then stops, buffers, plays for a few more seconds, and repeats. Long story short, huge files over my 1Gbps network are not watchable with this TV. I also bypassed the EMBY app and just used the media app on the TV and it had the same performance issues.

I do have an external HDD with the same movie file on it plugged directly into the TV, and that works flawlessly. It's just a terrible way to host media files.

If anyone can enlighten me on the Ethernet speed, or a way to play some huge 4K movies over the network, I'd be extremely appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

-Oldbaytuna
post #29 of 47 Old 12-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Ethernet port is 100Mbps. Easy way to check, hook it up to a spare switch port that has speed indicator lights and see what they sync at. CAT7 is a silly requirement, most likely a typo, ignore it. You don't need anything faster for streaming, don't feel like you are missing out on anything by not having 1Gbps Ethernet on the TV.

I use Plex on the TV with a Plex Media Server running on a Linux server and I'm impressed by the quality. I also have a Fire TV 2 4K box hooked up and a Chromecast Ultra but they don't get much use, the Plex client is pretty good and I'm surprised, I didn't think much of "smart" TV apps before. If anything Kodi running on the Fire TV is giving me a hard time sometimes and I don't think that the image quality is as good as Plex on the TV directly.

There must be something else going on with your network or Emby setup because wired 100Mbps should be plenty. Same with SATA 6Gbps (you have a typo in your post). What format is the file in? Is the Emby server trying to transcode it and it's not able to keep up with it? You can always try Plex.

Last edited by SirDracula; 12-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.
post #30 of 47 Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Ethernet port is 100Mbps. Easy way to check, hook it up to a spare switch port that has speed indicator lights and see what they sync at. CAT7 is a silly requirement, most likely a typo. You don't need anything faster for streaming, don't feel like you are missing out on anything by not having 1Gbps Ethernet on the TV.

I use Plex on the TV with a Plex Media Server running on a Linux server and I'm impressed by the quality. I also have a Fire TV 2 4K box hooked up and a Chromecast Ultra but they don't get much use, the Plex client is pretty good and I'm surprised, I didn't think much of "smart" TV apps before. If anything Kodi running on the Fire TV is giving me a hard time sometimes and I don't think that the image quality is as good as Plex on the TV directly.

There must be something else going on with your network or Emby setup because wired 100Mbps should be plenty. Same with SATA 6Gbps (you have a typo in your post). What format is the file in? Is the Emby server trying to transcode it and it's not able to keep up with it? You can always try Plex.
SirDracula,

Thanks for the speedy reply, and the correction of my post. I appreciate the information you've provided about your setup. It helps me troubleshoot. I do have a PLEX server being hosted on the same "media server" box where the files are hosted, but forgot to test that out. I'll give a shot later tonight. I looked at the EMBY settings and there is nothing specific for transcoding. It simply allows me to throttle the CPU when it's transcoding if the CPU usage gets too high. Below are the encoding details for the file; it's wrapped in an .mkv. I'll reach out to the EMBY support forums and give the PLEX a shot.

Thanks again!

-Oldbaytuna

<video>
<codec>hevc</codec>
<micodec>hevc</micodec>
<bitrate>52731470</bitrate>
<width>3840</width>
<height>2160</height>
<aspect>16:9</aspect>
<aspectratio>16:9</aspectratio>
<framerate>23.97602</framerate>
<scantype>progressive</scantype>