4k TV as a PC monitor - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 06-14-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Flam3s View Post
In 1080p it is but in 4k I don't see anywhere near a significant difference and neither does a few friends I have asked and some expert reviewers in this forum. Again I believe this is because the chroma at 4:4:2 UHD is actually twice as better than in 1080P. I tested this in both my KS8500 and C6 Oled which I use for pretty much everything, gaming, movies and typing up stuff(which is where the chroma advantages are more noticeable)

Diminishing returns.
Black and white text looks fine with 4:2:2 (at least if you disable subpixel antialiasing [Cleartype], since that doesn't work with 4:2:2). Color looks like crap.

Anyway, the TVs that don't support RGB/4:4:4 usually have even worse problems, so it's not as if there's even a choice here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTest View Post
I didn't know that. All Windows - 7,8,8.1,10?
My 4K TVs all scaled to 300% at native resolution. No big deal, just change it 100% and done.

Quote:
Thank you for all the information and opinions.
My favorite at the moment is the Samsung UE43KU6072 (KU6300 in the US).
Some time ago I've tried a 50" and a 42" plasmas as a (secondary) display, but they were obviously too big for (only) Full HD resolution.
The picture was very nice but I was afraid of image retention.
KU6300 would make a good PC monitor. Supports 4:4:4 chroma and no weird artifacts. Tested on my own, but mine is 60", but pretty sure 43" behaves the same. Only thing is BGR subpixel layout so you'll have to adjust ClearType for clear text. Everything else will look the same as a regular PC monitor. After spending some time with my Sharp 43" 4K as a monitor, I think it's a good size. Text is a little bit smaller than a 24", but is no problem. 49" would look a tiny bit more pixellated than a 24" PC monitor, but bigger fonts at 100% scaling. Might be okay if you set it further back than your 24" is.
At arm's length, 43" VA panel (like the KU6300) will have slightly washed out colors and black levels towards the right and left sides. Colors and contrast will appear a bit richer and more saturated towards the center. However, it's not bad, even being picky, I'm okay with it. My wife who is not picky, doesn't even notice. There are 43" IPS monitors if you're picky about this. Black levels not as good, but if you're not using it to watch movies fullscreen in the dark, then black levels don't matter. As someone mentioned, avoid the cheap LG ones with RGBW subpixel layout. Text looks just awful on those. Only 43" IPS (non-RGBW) still on the market that I could find is Sony XBR43X800E.
For Windows stuff, 43" is a perfect size. Plenty of space to browse the web while leaving an email window open, maybe a video open in another window, and an online game going. One thing I had to adapt to is never maximizing anything. With 24", I used to maximize my primary window, minimize everything else, and single-task. Now I tend to have multiple windows on my desktop because the screen is too big to maximize and single-task.
Contrary to what someone else said, 4:4:4 chroma is absolutely necessary. The difference in text crispness is night and day. KU6300 supports it, so no issue there.
Also yes, you will have to power a TV on/off manually because they don't support DPMS. There is a Pulse Eight USB-to-CEC adapter, but it's only advertised for use with Kodi and I don't know that Windows can use it to turn the TV on/off (I emailed them, received no response).
HWTest likes this.

Shawn
post #33 of 38 Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for your very informative post.
I was trying to look at the TV (Samsung UE43KU6072) from really close distance in a shop and noticed color/contrast changes on the sides but only if focusing on it. I didn't bother me.
A big desktop with multiple (non overlapping) open windows is exactly what I'm aiming for with the big screen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thank you for your very informative post.
I was trying to look at the TV (Samsung UE43KU6072) from really close distance in a shop and noticed color/contrast changes on the sides but only if focusing on it. I didn't bother me.
A big desktop with multiple (non overlapping) open windows is exactly what I'm aiming for with the big screen..
I am using an Philips ips TV (43pus6501) with 444 chroma. I am very happy with it for its price, and the screen not so big when you are getting accustomed with it.
In my opinion the monitors are overrated, not good size/price ratio, the only advantage of it being the better responding time for gaming. I don't game, so no concern for me.
post #35 of 38 Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using an IPS Philips TV as monitor (43PUS6501) with 444 chroma and I am very happy with it. I don't feel it being too big. In
my opinion the monitors are overrated and their size/price ratio is not so good, the only advantage of it being the better respond time.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HE-MAN 22 View Post
I use LG 43UJ752T as a monitor. It does 4:4:4 @4026*2160 60hz. Also 1920*1080 @120 hz. it's very sharp and crisp. Off topic can anyone direct me to a settings page it can find it anywhere.
Hey HE-MAN, can you let me know which graphics card you are using. I have purchased the same TV. I currently have AMD Radeon HD 7850. Not sure if it will give the 4K output @60Hz.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
My 4K TVs all scaled to 300% at native resolution. No big deal, just change it 100% and done.

KU6300 would make a good PC monitor. Supports 4:4:4 chroma and no weird artifacts. Tested on my own, but mine is 60", but pretty sure 43" behaves the same. Only thing is BGR subpixel layout so you'll have to adjust ClearType for clear text. Everything else will look the same as a regular PC monitor. After spending some time with my Sharp 43" 4K as a monitor, I think it's a good size. Text is a little bit smaller than a 24", but is no problem. 49" would look a tiny bit more pixellated than a 24" PC monitor, but bigger fonts at 100% scaling. Might be okay if you set it further back than your 24" is.
At arm's length, 43" VA panel (like the KU6300) will have slightly washed out colors and black levels towards the right and left sides. Colors and contrast will appear a bit richer and more saturated towards the center. However, it's not bad, even being picky, I'm okay with it. My wife who is not picky, doesn't even notice. There are 43" IPS monitors if you're picky about this. Black levels not as good, but if you're not using it to watch movies fullscreen in the dark, then black levels don't matter. As someone mentioned, avoid the cheap LG ones with RGBW subpixel layout. Text looks just awful on those. Only 43" IPS (non-RGBW) still on the market that I could find is Sony XBR43X800E.
For Windows stuff, 43" is a perfect size. Plenty of space to browse the web while leaving an email window open, maybe a video open in another window, and an online game going. One thing I had to adapt to is never maximizing anything. With 24", I used to maximize my primary window, minimize everything else, and single-task. Now I tend to have multiple windows on my desktop because the screen is too big to maximize and single-task.
Contrary to what someone else said, 4:4:4 chroma is absolutely necessary. The difference in text crispness is night and day. KU6300 supports it, so no issue there.
Also yes, you will have to power a TV on/off manually because they don't support DPMS. There is a Pulse Eight USB-to-CEC adapter, but it's only advertised for use with Kodi and I don't know that Windows can use it to turn the TV on/off (I emailed them, received no response).
Thank you.

This is great information. Gives me practical info about using 4k TVs as a monitor.

I been toying with using 4k TV as my main PC monitor too.

Right now, I am down to either going with 49" TCL S405 ($360) or 55" TCL P605 ($600).
I'll be sitting about 3 feet from the TV and will be using it for web-surfing, watching movies and some gaming.

Is going with P605 (which as I understand it has better picture quality/HDR) worth extra $250 or should I save the money and go with the 49" S405?

Any helpful idea/opinion/comments will be appreciated.
post #38 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Thank you.

This is great information. Gives me practical info about using 4k TVs as a monitor.

I been toying with using 4k TV as my main PC monitor too.

Right now, I am down to either going with 49" TCL S405 ($360) or 55" TCL P605 ($600).
I'll be sitting about 3 feet from the TV and will be using it for web-surfing, watching movies and some gaming.

Is going with P605 (which as I understand it has better picture quality/HDR) worth extra $250 or should I save the money and go with the 49" S405?

Any helpful idea/opinion/comments will be appreciated.
I've been using my Sceptre 42" 1080p since 2006. Paid $1700.00 and it's still working, but thinking I deserve a Christmas present. When I got it, most other 1080p's were way more than what I paid for that Sceptre. I gambled on a lesser known name and it paid off.

I am also looking at the 55" TCL's. Seems they get some of the best reviews for monitors & TV's in the lower price range. I was considering OLED's but after learning about the burn-in issues (search youtube) I RAN from them.

The TCL's seem hard to beat at current prices. Might not be a huge name, but when I got my Sceptre, that name wasn't known for TV's either. It's served me well.

Let us know if you pulled the trigger and how it worked out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page