*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4315Likes

post #3121 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
So here's the thing with HDR picture mode, RTINGS says to leave the setting on BRIGHTER for best HDR picture. The other two modes are Darker and Normal.

As you cycle through each mode, BRIGHTER does look better; colors are more alive and other two modes look, well, darker by comparison.

But take a look at these two exact HDR images from The Revenant with the player in pause. The first shot is the BRIGHTER setting and the second is NORMAL setting. You can see the plants in the first shot have a deeper green tone; however, the bear appears obscured. It's a lot easier to see on the TV if you have this movie. The black is lifted and shadow detail is all gray. In NORMAL mode, the picture is darker but you can see the bear much better.

Last edited by Pres2play; 04-04-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really like the TV so far except as using it as a computer monitor, which is its main purpose. It's fine except any HDR content has extreme color banding. I have a 1080 TI card and Windows 10 does display HDR when I enable it and have tried all kinds of settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Any thoughts? Returned a Sony 900e for this and was really happy until I hooked the computer up.
post #3123 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Bought a 605 from Best Buy for an easy return in case the TV showed some of the out of box blemishes and picture quality issues reported in this thread. This thread, of course, has been a big help in deciding which TV to replace my 9-year old Samsung plasma.

The BB purchase proved convenient because the first TV I received had a noticeable green blemish on the screen (group of pixels out?). Anyway, after diagnosis with TCL, they recommended I return it to BB. I did, the store had another in stock and same day I had a second TV that's been fantastic so far.

I'm a new Roku user and it has completely replaced my XBOX and Apple TV as means of streaming. We previously would bounce between XBOX and Apple TV for apps and OTA TV using XBOX's tuner, but the Roku has all of the apps in one place, including Motortrend OnDemand, which is a big plus for me, and a coax for our antenna. This TV has simplified our whole home entertainment system and replaced a number of remotes with just one because the TV's ARC paired perfectly with my Yamaha receiver - I don't get calls anymore when I'm out of town asking how to watch "X" or why the sound doesn't work.

Here's my question. I didn't think I initially wanted or needed the voice remote with headphone capability of Amazon's 607, but now that we use Roku so much I kind of want it. Can I simply buy the 607 remote and have it work with the 605?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I just discovered the TCLP supports HDR in YouTube. There’s some stunning 4K HDR stuff to watch.
Still amazing by the value of this TV.

Pres2Play, CNET suggested using darker/HDR Darker for movies. I have to test this myself. For gaming I started to use bright/HDR Dark. This is w/ gamma set to 2.4. But yeah, it’s all a little confusing since were in the early-ish days of HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #3125 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Aren't you guys tired of the politicization of everything in this country yet? Let's not introduce it to our discourse of televisions as well...
It was only meant as a joke, but I did delete it. Not meant for here.
theboomr likes this.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #3126 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru_LS1 View Post
Bought a 605 from Best Buy for an easy return in case the TV showed some of the out of box blemishes and picture quality issues reported in this thread. This thread, of course, has been a big help in deciding which TV to replace my 9-year old Samsung plasma.

The BB purchase proved convenient because the first TV I received had a noticeable green blemish on the screen (group of pixels out?). Anyway, after diagnosis with TCL, they recommended I return it to BB. I did, the store had another in stock and same day I had a second TV that's been fantastic so far.

I'm a new Roku user and it has completely replaced my XBOX and Apple TV as means of streaming. We previously would bounce between XBOX and Apple TV for apps and OTA TV using XBOX's tuner, but the Roku has all of the apps in one place, including Motortrend OnDemand, which is a big plus for me, and a coax for our antenna. This TV has simplified our whole home entertainment system and replaced a number of remotes with just one because the TV's ARC paired perfectly with my Yamaha receiver - I don't get calls anymore when I'm out of town asking how to watch "X" or why the sound doesn't work.

Here's my question. I didn't think I initially wanted or needed the voice remote with headphone capability of Amazon's 607, but now that we use Roku so much I kind of want it. Can I simply buy the 607 remote and have it work with the 605?

No, unfortunately the 605 doesn't have the necessary hardware to work with the 607 remote.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #3127 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
No, unfortunately the 605 doesn't have the necessary hardware to work with the 607 remote.

Actually, other people on this thread have reported successful pairing of a 607 remote with the 605.

The Roku mobile app has the same abilities--voice and headphone. People say that neither of them work very well.
theboomr likes this.
post #3128 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xfinity

I have a Xfinity X1 cable box. I can set the output resolution to 720p 1080i or 1080p. Does anyone know which I should choose?
post #3129 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatlowry View Post
I have a Xfinity X1 cable box. I can set the output resolution to 720p 1080i or 1080p. Does anyone know which I should choose?
1080p for me.
post #3130 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
Actually, other people on this thread have reported successful pairing of a 607 remote with the 605.

The Roku mobile app has the same abilities--voice and headphone. People say that neither of them work very well.
Thanks much. I'm sure that info is in this massive thread somewhere but I couldn't dig it out. Much appreciated!
post #3131 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 10:27 AM
boo
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatlowry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
1080p for me.
I would say 720P (since most of Comcast channels are down-converted to 720P), then let the TV do the up-converting.
NHAudiofan likes this.
post #3132 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post

I'm aware of the Roku app, but was not aware that a 605 could be paired with a 607 remote. To my knowledge, the direct WiFi hardware want present in the 605 sets. If that's the case, I would have just bought a 605 from Best Buy...

post #3133 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 11:20 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
From previous posters, it looks like the free Roku smart device app takes care of most or all of the missing features. I don't know if it's worth spending the extra on an enhanced remote, especially with the app or if using a universal remote.
[Excluding the fair idea of using a universal remote] I ordered the 605 from BB a week ago and picked it up myself the same day. I definitely believe spending extra on an enhanced remote is worth it; I'm sure others would feel the same: I tried it and don't want to use a second device, be it a phone or a tablet, to control separate features. That would be superfluous, annoying, cluttering, and frankly get old fast. I'd much prefer to use the single dedicated remote that came with the TV. Accordingly, I just purchased the R64 for $39 from TCL which accomplished four additional desirable things:

(1) Removed the necessity of obtaining the TV from Amazon and the chance of shipping damage;
(2) Provided the opportunity for easy return of the TV if need be (as opposed the hassle and expense of return-shipping it to Amazon);
(3) Actually SAVED me money on the purchase of a 607 (which in effect I now own); and
(4) Provided me a with a "free" second (original to 605) remote should the enhanced remote ever go south.

Ultimately I now I have a 607 with two remotes for $639 -- a solid and wise choice.
theboomr likes this.
post #3134 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbresso View Post
[Excluding the fair idea of using a universal remote] I ordered the 605 from BB a week ago and picked it up myself the same day. I definitely believe spending extra on an enhanced remote is worth it; I'm sure others would feel the same: I tried it and don't want to use a second device, be it a phone or a tablet, to control separate features. That would be superfluous, annoying, cluttering, and frankly get old fast. I'd much prefer to use the single dedicated remote that came with the TV. Accordingly, I just purchased the R64 for $39 from TCL which accomplished four additional desirable things:

(1) Removed the necessity of obtaining the TV from Amazon and the chance of shipping damage;
(2) Provided the opportunity for easy return of the TV if need be (as opposed the hassle and expense of return-shipping it to Amazon);
(3) Actually SAVED me money on the purchase of a 607 (which in effect I now own); and
(4) Provided me a with a "free" second (original to 605) remote should the enhanced remote ever go south.

Ultimately I now I have a 607 with two remotes for $639 -- a solid and wise choice.
How did you get the 605 to pair with a 607 remote?

post #3135 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
How did you get the 605 to pair with a 607 remote?

I just ordered it yesterday so haven't received it yet. Otherwise others on this forum have already used the remote and have reported that it's compatible.
post #3136 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I would say 720P (since most of Comcast channels are down-converted to 720P), then let the TV do the up-converting.
I tried both. Subjectively, 1080p looked better.
post #3137 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I just ordered it yesterday so haven't received it yet. Otherwise others on this forum have already used the remote and have reported that it's compatible.
Please let us know if you're successful and if so, what steps you took to get the two to work.

whizkid39 and theboomr like this.
post #3138 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Please let us know if you're successful and if so, what steps you took to get the two to work.
My understanding is it is merely a replacement remote in the strictest sense of the word (albeit with a few extra features*), and takes no other "steps" to work or need to "pair" any more than the original remote does. Once the batteries are in it should be point-and click-operable the same way. I've already run the enhanced features* on my Ipad with the 605's remote without problem (so I know my 605 TAKES the voice commands for example); and as i'd mentioned, others have made the enhanced swap before me and have stated it worked fine. Unless they're crazy or a-holes deliberately passing on misinformation I can only take them at their word. Because of that I don't anticipate any problems or anything less than a seamless swapping out of remotes. However, when I do get the new remote (it is scheduled to be back in stock on Oct 18...), in the unlikely event I do experience any issues, I'll let you know.

*less the remote finder feature which of course can only be found in the physical R64 remote and can't be replicated with the Roku app.

P.S. I also believe the enhanced remote's ability to work is corroborated by the fact that you can no longer find the R64 remotes for $29 -- vendors are getting wise that people with the 605s are buying them and turning their TVs into 607s for less the price of an Amazon 607 and want their piece of the $$pie$$....

Last edited by mbresso; 10-14-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #3139 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
The major advantage of the advanced remote is the headphone jack right? I never listen to headphones so no benefit for me. I have everything connected to my home theater setup.

Afro GT
post #3140 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
My understanding is it is merely a replacement remote in the strictest sense of the word (albeit with a few extra features*), and takes no other "steps" to work or need to "pair" any more than the original remote does. Once the batteries are in it should be point-and click-operable the same way. I've already run the enhanced features* on my Ipad with the 605's remote without problem (so I know my 605 TAKES the voice commands for example); and as i'd mentioned, others have made the enhanced swap before me and have stated it worked fine. Unless they're crazy or a-holes deliberately passing on misinformation I can only take them at their word. Because of that I don't anticipate any problems or anything less than a seamless swapping out of remotes. However, when I do get the new remote (it is scheduled to be back in stock on Oct 18...), in the unlikely event I do experience any issues, I'll let you know.

*less the remote finder feature which of course can only be found in the physical $64 remote and can't be replicated with the Roku app.
Yes, but the mobile app is different as it uses WiFi to communicate with the TV. The 607 remote also uses WiFi, but to my understanding, the 605 either doesn't have the necessary hardware to connect to the remote, or the television firmware doesn't have the functionality included. Note that the 605 is also different in terms of hardware as it has an IR receiver, which is necessary for the included remote to function. The 607 is incapable of receiving infrared signals. In addition, TCL if I recall once stated that the 607 remote will not work with the 605.

If you can get it to work, please let us know how.

post #3141 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The major advantage of the advanced remote is the headphone jack right? I never listen to headphones so no benefit for me. I have everything connected to my home theater setup.
That's "a" major advantage. I wouldn't otherwise use it myself if not for the fact that a few times a week I get on an exercise bike while in my LR while watching TV and the noise drowns out the TVs sound. For that, it's PERFECT.

Beyond that, the voice recognition feature (which as I mentioned, I used on my Ipad w/the Roku App) is FANTASTIC! I HATE typing in names and searching through menus. That relives you of a lot of that. AND for me -- who's leather recliners have eaten countless Roku remotes for years (as well as it's evil cousin, the sofa) -- having that remote finder (where the remote will beep when you press a button on the back of the TV) is nothing less than a godsend. The enhanced remote - whether you get it on the 607, or purchase the R64 separate after you buy a 605 is unequivocally worth the extra few dollars it costs to obtain.
post #3142 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM

BTW, I thought about this very thing but decided that I wanted to have a WiFi remote rather than an IR one, hence my decision to buy a 607. Fwiw, I paid slightly less for my 607 than if I had bought a 605 from Best Buy since tax wasn't included and shipping was free.

post #3143 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
BTW, I thought about this very thing but decided that I wanted to have a WiFi remote rather than an IR one, hence my decision to buy a 607. Fwiw, I paid slightly less for my 607 than if I had bought a 605 from Best Buy since tax wasn't included and shipping was free.

You made a great decision then. The only "problem" I AM hearing repeatedly is that the WiFi remote does tend to eat/run through your batteries maybe 5 times more than the simpler IR remote. A number of folks have stated they're replacing them up to once a month, and/or using rechargeable batteries. Now that is something I'm admittedly not enamored with. In any event congratulations to you (me and us) with your (my and our) purchase of this great television!
post #3144 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
With the 607, can you use the iPhone app to listen to the tv through AirPods paired to the phone? Tried using the wired headphones that came with the set...either the headphones aren't very good or the remote they are plugged into are.

Was going to try using the app...worth a try. Would be nice for when the old lady is sleeping.
post #3145 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Liked: 7
Saw this at the store, and the checkerboarding pixel pattern is NASTY.
Every other R G B pixel is dimmed.

Samsung and LG don't have this alternate-dimmed subpixel pattern that gives the picture a noisy appearance. Their pixels are lit evenly.

Both the P and S series 55" TV's have this nasty pixel lighting.

Is this checkerboard also visible when using as a PC monitor on your desk?

post #3146 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the mobile app is different as it uses...
Thanks. I can only stick to my reasoning from what I've posted before so might refrain from repeating it all over again. As always I'll reserve the right to be wrong and if it turns out that way, so be it (I'd then merely sell it at a slight loss). Personally, I'm convinced. Perhaps your immediate concerns and questions should be sought out from those who have posted all is fine with theirs. As I've said, I don't actually possess it yet.

Now, it's a beautiful Fall afternoon here in the SF Bay Area (excepting horrendous wildfires in Napa 40 miles north of me) so with all due respect I think it's time for me to take a sabbatical here and go out and, er, play. :-)
post #3147 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Yes, but the mobile app is different as it uses WiFi to communicate with the TV. The 607 remote also uses WiFi, but to my understanding, the 605 either doesn't have the necessary hardware to connect to the remote, or the television firmware doesn't have the functionality included. Note that the 605 is also different in terms of hardware as it has an IR receiver, which is necessary for the included remote to function. The 607 is incapable of receiving infrared signals. In addition, TCL if I recall once stated that the 607 remote will not work with the 605.

As has been said, multiple users have already reported that the advanced remote CAN be paired with a 605. TCL did say on Twitter that it wouldn't work, but it's likely they just wanted to get people to spend the extra dough on the 607, and/or the person repping them on Twitter isn't super knowledgeable.

However, @mbresso , there is a pairing process for the remote. Under the battery cover is a little sync button, you have to use that to pair the remote to a TV. It is not simply a plug in batteries and go situation.
post #3148 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru_LS1 View Post
Thanks much. I'm sure that info is in this massive thread somewhere but I couldn't dig it out. Much appreciated!
Here you go. Post #1994 on this thread. Roku RC64 remote. Put it into pairing mode and do a RESTART of your TV and they should work together.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54576228

Your issue will be finding one to purchase on the aftermarket. Hard to come by at all, or with a reasonable price point. The link below has been out of stock with a 'try back' date that continues to move about once a week. https://encompass.com/item/10846935/...Remote_Control

As stated by others, these enhanced features are all available thru the Roku app on Smartphone to try them out first and see if they respond the way you would like.

My biggest miss after moving from a Roku 3 box that had the Wifi Enhanced remote and to the P605 with Basic IR Remote was the line of sight issue with a Basic IR remote. My soundbar was blocking the IR receiver on the TCL TV and I had to lift the TV up to get it over my low profile soundbar to get any consistent response. After fighting it for about 3 weeks, I saw a post on the forum here of using a simple IR Remote Extender to 'get around' the issue of a soundbar blocking the TCL IR receiver in the middle of the set. I purchased a simple $9 IR extender on Amazon and set it up with IR Transmitter sitting right underneath the TV and behind my soundbar pointing up at the IR receiver on the TCL TV and put the IR Receiver sitting next to the soundbar and now have an excellent responsive IR remote and was able to lower my TV back down to an aesthetically pleasing position.

Glad you are enjoying your integrated TCL TV. I am as well and am also an OTA user. I am looking forward to the Roku OS 8 software that should be arriving to our sets in the November time frame. OS 8 will include a TV Guide style grid for OTA users that will show 7 days of past listings and 14 days of upcoming listings that will be searchable. That will really top this Roku TCL TV off as a great one stop, one remote offering. https://www.avsforum.com/roku-streame...major-refresh/
Bru_LS1 and theboomr like this.
post #3149 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
As has been said, multiple users have already reported that the advanced remote CAN be paired with a 605. TCL did say on Twitter that it wouldn't work, but it's likely they just wanted to get people to spend the extra dough on the 607, and/or the person repping them on Twitter isn't super knowledgeable.

However, @mbresso , there is a pairing process for the remote. Under the battery cover is a little sync button, you have to use that to pair the remote to a TV. It is not simply a plug in batteries and go situation.
Good to know. I stand corrected!

post #3150 of 6328 Old 10-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

I own a P605 so I can not verify, but I thought I read on this forum from other P607 owners that it does have an IR receiver to actually turn ON the television after it is powered down past it's standby mode setting. Sounds reasonable, otherwise your set even when powered OFF for hours or days would stay in standby mode having to wait for a Wifi signal to turn the TV ON. IR receiver on the P605 is just under the TCL logo in middle of TV. I added an IR extender to my P605 because my soundbar blocked the TCL IR receiver. At the time I remember a few P607 users stating that even with an enhanced Wifi remote that if you completely blocked the IR receiver, even on a P607, after the TV completely powers off that you need line of sight to this IR receiver to power ON the set. Perhaps that is incorrect.

As stated in a previous post, others have verified getting a Roku RC64 remote to work with a P605. It does require that you press the pairing button on the RC64 remote located under the battery cover and then restart the P605 TV by using the SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- SYSTEM RESTART -- RESTART menu process.
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by blade005; 10-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page