*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4315Likes

post #3451 of 6343 Old 10-29-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
My sister is planning on picking one up tonight, and I won't be at her place to see it probably ever... or at least not in the next several months. I want her to be able to take advantage of the picture as much as possible, including decently user-calibrated and running in 4K and HDR when appropriate, etc.

What are some of the settings she should change immediately out of the box to enable some of these items, and what is the most appropriate picture preset for now? Or should I just link her to CNET or Rtings for calibration stuff?

Also, does she need to have specific apps enabled to be able to change some options? For example, I know that pretty much unless I'm watching a Blu-ray I can't look at my Hz options on my Samsung plasma.

Press the Info button on the remote, I'm guessing?

For ease of use I recommend her using CNETs settings. They don’t go into white
point calibration but the settings account for that. Plus CNET has settings for both dark and bright rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muffinmcfluffin likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 6343 Old 10-29-2017, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a very bizarre issue with my 605 the other day when I installed Pluto TV. I watched a few channels to get a feel for the content the app offered, and exited out of it because I didn't find anything to my liking and opened up Netflix instead. After I selected a show on Netflix, I continued to hear audio from the last channel I watched on Pluto TV, and my show wouldn't load and get stuck either at 25% or ~94%, even after exiting the app and restarting the TV multiple times. I uninstalled Pluto TV yet the problem still persisted, but I'd then hear the audio even while on the home menu. The only solution I found was to reset my network settings, though I'm not sure why that seemed to help since my TV is connected via ethernet cable rather than wifi.

So for anyone who might encounter the same issue as me, resetting network settings should hopefully fix your issue.
post #3453 of 6343 Old 10-29-2017, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone. I just picked up a p605 yesterday and while the 4k is nice, I was really looking forward to the HDR but the images are really dark using the CNET and rtings settings. Seems a little washed out in certain scenarios too but not sure if that's just me or not as this is my first 4k HDR screen. I replaced a Sony KDL-55HX800 that looks better as far as color and vibrancy goes.

With the recommended settings I am using "Brighter" as well as Normal HDR as Bright HDR is too blue but the darkness is bugging me. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the function of the set as the image does seem different when HDR is enabled but it isn't a big difference from non-HDR. The TV shows it's getting an HDR10 signal from Amazon Video/Netflix and the PS4 is outputting in yuv422 with HDR with Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous and The Last of Us.

The tested HDR content just seems way too dark and the image doesn't stand out like I've read it should vs my 1080p Sony. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3454 of 6343 Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I've never heard of a landlord doing that to anyone. The estimated cost is $22 /year according to the Energy Guide on the TV if that helps. What's your landlord going to charge you, $2 month?
You don't know Germans , they're obsessed with electricity, heating and savings ....

My previous roommate forced me to freeze during winter because "he didn't want to pay so much for heating and it was also bad for the environment" but of course he eats lots of cheese , meat and travels but that apparently doesn't count for your carbon footprint

Gesendet von meinem HTC U11 mit Tapatalk
post #3455 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 12:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkikiX View Post
Hi everyone. I just picked up a p605 yesterday and while the 4k is nice, I was really looking forward to the HDR but the images are really dark using the CNET and rtings settings. Seems a little washed out in certain scenarios too but not sure if that's just me or not as this is my first 4k HDR screen. I replaced a Sony KDL-55HX800 that looks better as far as color and vibrancy goes.

With the recommended settings I am using "Brighter" as well as Normal HDR as Bright HDR is too blue but the darkness is bugging me. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the function of the set as the image does seem different when HDR is enabled but it isn't a big difference from non-HDR. The TV shows it's getting an HDR10 signal from Amazon Video/Netflix and the PS4 is outputting in yuv422 with HDR with Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous and The Last of Us.

The tested HDR content just seems way too dark and the image doesn't stand out like I've read it should vs my 1080p Sony. Any ideas?
From my experience with Netflix, Amazon, and video game console HDR (XB1S in my case), I'm not terribly impressed by it either. Some content is really good (certain scenes from Chasing Coral on Netflix and The Tick on Amazon for example), but for most content I forget HDR is even enabled because of how bland it looks. As many have suggested here, the HDR channel on Youtube has some content that is surprisingly good, such as the following video:

Another potential fix is to adjust the gamma settings, which can be accessed through the Roku app that can be downloaded on a smart phone or tablet. Many people use 2.0 or even 1.8 instead of 2.2, which I believe is the default.

If all else fails, perhaps consider getting a replacement and see if it's any better? Many forum members have participated in the "panel lottery" here, some with great success and others without so YMMV.
post #3456 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted22 View Post
I had a very bizarre issue with my 605 the other day when I installed Pluto TV. I watched a few channels to get a feel for the content the app offered, and exited out of it because I didn't find anything to my liking and opened up Netflix instead. After I selected a show on Netflix, I continued to hear audio from the last channel I watched on Pluto TV, and my show wouldn't load and get stuck either at 25% or ~94%, even after exiting the app and restarting the TV multiple times. I uninstalled Pluto TV yet the problem still persisted, but I'd then hear the audio even while on the home menu. The only solution I found was to reset my network settings, though I'm not sure why that seemed to help since my TV is connected via ethernet cable rather than wifi.

So for anyone who might encounter the same issue as me, resetting network settings should hopefully fix your issue.
Pluto completely locked my 607 up. I HAD to unplug my set.
post #3457 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

CNETs calibrates for 2.4 gamma and some people find it too dark. Personally I really like an image w/ a lot of contrast. Dolby Vision is mastered at 2.4. Anyway I think your better off using RTINGs settings. Also it sounds like your using the RGB output on your PS4, correct? That’s the best way to go.

post #3458 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 AM

Thanks Lifted22 and helvetica bold. I'm using the 2.2 gamma and will try a lower one. I haven't been able to get YouTube HDR to work yet using the built in app or the PS4 version and Amazon Video is hit and miss too. I've read that Man in the High Castle and Bosch are HDR but don't see the little HDR tag in the app. I did find a couple others like Red Oaks though. As for the PS4 I have it on auto and it will switch to yuv422 with HDR, staying in RGB without.
post #3459 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 AM

...and now YouTube HDR is working. Time for some more testing.
post #3460 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted22 View Post
From my experience with Netflix, Amazon, and video game console HDR (XB1S in my case), I'm not terribly impressed by it either. Some content is really good (certain scenes from Chasing Coral on Netflix and The Tick on Amazon for example), but for most content I forget HDR is even enabled because of how bland it looks. As many have suggested here, the HDR channel on Youtube has some content that is surprisingly good, such as the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s

Another potential fix is to adjust the gamma settings, which can be accessed through the Roku app that can be downloaded on a smart phone or tablet. Many people use 2.0 or even 1.8 instead of 2.2, which I believe is the default.

If all else fails, perhaps consider getting a replacement and see if it's any better? Many forum members have participated in the "panel lottery" here, some with great success and others without so YMMV.
I have been watching quite a bit of Netflix and Amazon Prime 4K HDR and DV. I kind of agree, to me, the picture looks really good especially with the lights dimmed in a dark room. Great picture, but nothing jaw dropping like you get from some of the demos on Youtube or the LG downloaded files mentioned earlier in this thread.
post #3461 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The first episode of Stranger Things 2 looked great with Dolby Vision. The scene where the kids are in the arcade–the signage is so bright and colorful. I watched another episode on my Sony W900a in 1080p SDR and it looked great but washed out compared to the rich 4K DV.
cwick and theboomr like this.

post #3462 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Picking up this TV for my dad next weekend. He'll pretty much have two types of watching, Cable TV and Streaming (mostly in a well-lit room with large windows).

I see most people like CNET's settings for Dark Room/Bright Room, but it appears their Bright Room settings completely disable "Local Contrast". Isn't that a big feature of this TV? Is it beneficial to turn off local dimming in this situation?

Any insight would be great!
post #3463 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
The first episode of Stranger Things 2 looked great with Dolby Vision. The scene where the kids are in the arcade–the signage is so bright and colorful. I watched another episode on my Sony W900a in 1080p SDR and it looked great but washed out compared to the rich 4K DV.
I agree. I've watched the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things - Season 2 and there are scenes and segments of the episodes that do stand out from a contrast perspective. As they should.

I wonder if our expectations for HDR are a bit too amped up at the moment. A 2 or 3 minute 4K HDR demo is just that, an eye popping demo with every frame meant to 'wow' your eyes with vibrant colors and contrast. I'm not sure that every frame of a 50 minute HDR TV episode on Netflix or Amazon Prime has to wow me. Tell me a good story with good acting and where appropriate in the story and scene, let HDR do its thing and show me great contrast and shadow detail. A crisp and vibrant 4K picture throughout is expected. HDR, where appropriate, is nice icing on the 4K cake. But, I don't need it to be the main attraction or central character. Like the days of trying to force 3D effects into a subpar story and touting it as engaging cinema.
post #3464 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I have found that for HDR10 content on Amazon Prime that the HDR DARK setting is best for my viewing environment. For Dolby Vision (DV) content on Netflix the DV DARK setting is just about unwatchable for most content. I find the BRIGHT DV setting with WARM color temp and moving the GAMMA setting from 2.2 to 2.0 with Roku app makes things much less dark and more watchable.
post #3465 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
I bought the 605 and so far it is working well. How do I know if I am actually seeing 4K? The only thing I have tried is a few Youtube 4K clips and nothing has shown on the screen telling me that is what I am seeing. I think I read here that if you are seeing 4K a banner or something appears on the screen to tell you. It looks great of course but I don't know for sure. I only have 15mbs speed so that is why I am thinking it probably is not coming in in true 4K, but how do I know?
There is an option to Enable Content Notification for High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in SETTINGS -- TV PICTURE SETTINGS menu (Enable Dolby Vision). Based on the content you will see either a HDR Logo or DV (Dolby Vision) Logo in the upper right corner of screen when the stream begins to play. Some apps on Roku allow you to see streaming info and some do not. For Netflix if you press the Asterisk * button while the app is open, but before you start a stream, you will see streaming info in the upper left corner. To toggle it OFF you must stop the video and then press the Asterisk * button again. YouTube has a STATS FOR NERDS option if you select MORE OPTIONS while video is streaming and then navigate to the far right choices on screen and you will see STATS FOR NERDS icon. I have found that for 4K streams in Netflix that it needs about 14 - 15mbps. If your max speed is 15mbps, I don't know if you will maintain a bandwidth speed to stream 4K consistently.
bguzman likes this.
post #3466 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks blade005, that is just the info I needed. I'll try it out tonight.

shortspark
post #3467 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
To be honest mine looks similar in terms of dark spots in some places around the edges. I rarely notice it in real world usage and it was sent enough to make me want to return it. I have considered trying loosening he bezels but I don’t want to screw anything up .

I am surely not the only one?

I have similar results, will get some screenshots. I am curious if this is within norms or a defect of certain sets.
Do others have any darkness/clouds around edges on a white screen? What is acceptable?
post #3468 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I have found that for HDR10 content on Amazon Prime that the HDR DARK setting is best for my viewing environment. For Dolby Vision (DV) content on Netflix the DV DARK setting is just about unwatchable for most content. I find the BRIGHT DV setting with WARM color temp and moving the GAMMA setting from 2.2 to 2.0 with Roku app makes things much less dark and more watchable.
From some limited testing this morning before leaving for work, dropping the gamma to 2.0 or even 1.8 made the most difference. I'll do some more testing but that might have been the key. I haven't watched any Dolby Vision content yet but will try the bright setting when I do. Thanks.
post #3469 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Thanks blade005, that is just the info I needed. I'll try it out tonight.
Sure thing. NOTE: Those notifications are just for 4K HDR content. You won't see that logo for 4K content only.

Last edited by blade005; 10-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #3470 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
From some limited testing this morning before leaving for work, dropping the gamma to 2.0 or even 1.8 made the most difference. I'll do some more testing but that might have been the key. I haven't watched any Dolby Vision content yet but will try the bright setting when I do. Thanks.
I found moving GAMMA to 1.8 created too much wash out and loss of detail. 2.0 was the compromise that worked best for my environment.
MonkikiX likes this.
post #3471 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 646
As others have stated, I too was not liking the Movie setting....things seemed too "yellowish". I switched to normal w/warm...and did basic color/tint adjusments w/blue fliter and things look much better to me.

As for Roku app settings....I tried both default and the RTings settings for 11-pt and CMS and prefer the default. Noise Correction is turned off and gamma @2.2 .
post #3472 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Will this display pass Atmos over ARC?

post #3473 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
As others have stated, I too was not liking the Movie setting....things seemed too "yellowish". I switched to normal w/warm...and did basic color/tint adjusments w/blue fliter and things look much better to me.

As for Roku app settings....I tried both default and the RTings settings for 11-pt and CMS and prefer the default. Noise Correction is turned off and gamma @2.2 .
Similar settings. NORMAL w/WARM color temp. I made the RTings adjustments for 11-pt WB, but left CMS at default. Perhaps I will default back 11-pt WB.

Would you mind sharing what you did with color/tint w/blue filter adjustments?
post #3474 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post

This guy says YES and does a HOW TO to his Denon receiver.

davehale likes this.
post #3475 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree. I've watched the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things - Season 2 and there are scenes and segments of the episodes that do stand out from a contrast perspective. As they should.

I wonder if our expectations for HDR are a bit too amped up at the moment. A 2 or 3 minute 4K HDR demo is just that, an eye popping demo with every frame meant to 'wow' your eyes with vibrant colors and contrast. I'm not sure that every frame of a 50 minute HDR TV episode on Netflix or Amazon Prime has to wow me. Tell me a good story with good acting and where appropriate in the story and scene, let HDR do its thing and show me great contrast and shadow detail. A crisp and vibrant 4K picture throughout is expected. HDR, where appropriate, is nice icing on the 4K cake. But, I don't need it to be the main attraction or central character. Like the days of trying to force 3D effects into a subpar story and touting it as engaging cinema.
Agreed! Not sure if this has been posted but this video on HDR and directors intent is really interesting. Watch it on the TCL youtube app.
bguzman, Pres2play and blade005 like this.
post #3476 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Agreed! Not sure if this has been posted but this video on HDR and directors intent is really interesting. Watch it on the TCL youtube app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebf2Oi23Pw0
Thanks for sharing. That was one of the better explanations of what is going on with HDR and light levels as intended by the Director and Cinematographer. Great to see the visualization of what is going on with NIT levels in scenes. Definitely will make me pause and perhaps not whine as much when I see darker HDR content. Will still need to adjust for optimum personal viewing experience, but it does frame it more in context for me. Thanks!!
helvetica bold likes this.
post #3477 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post

'Yes, watching the UHD stream on VUDU results in Dolby Vision on my TV and DolbyAtmos on my Pioneer Elite AVR.
mcholthaus likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000

Last edited by bguzman; 10-30-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #3478 of 6343 Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
This guy says YES and does a HOW TO to his Denon receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaa0QWQ4GU

Thanks for sharing. This is how I am setup, so I will have to try it when I get home.

post #3479 of 6343 Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
White screen clouding around edges. Normal?

Hello,

I would like to know if my results are fairly normal for an LED LCD TV. I get some amount of dark clouding along the edges. Most noticeable when the screen is mostly white.
The attached image shows what it looks like on an all white screen.

Is this normal? Or is this outside the norms and I maybe should look into a replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171030_160351_HDR.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2307854  
post #3480 of 6343 Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 AM

Is there a way to turn off Dolby Vision and HDR? It makes everything look too dark no matter how I adjust the settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page