*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4346Likes

post #3541 of 6477 Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
HDR is trying to be closer to reality and doesn’t give a stylized look. It sounds like you prefer a more SDR stylized look tho. But it depends on the lighting in games. BF1, HDR varies from washed out to high contrast brilliant looking due to the variable weather in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 6477 Old 11-04-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I may be wrong, but this TV doesn't present a bright picture in HDR, it shows bright highlights, and I think that's the point of HDR. HDR has max brightness (100) and max contrast (100) settings as default. If you match this in SDR, screen brightness will be high at all times.
post #3543 of 6477 Old 11-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it normal that at times my T.v will flicker? as in a big flash of light then goes back to normal? It's only for less than a second but it happens every now and then. (Using netflix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 6477 Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
The gamma preset will change gamma for all the 11 brightness levels at the same time. That's why you want to target 5% and 10%, because it affects only the dark portions of the video. Bear in mind that if you raise the brightness at these levels, it will affect dark scenes in a room as well, not just a scene in, for example, a dark cave. Some people may not like the effect of seeing all blacks turned gray, or may feel the screen looks too hazy, so expect to make changes. A meter would help a lot, but colorimeters that measure that low and do it accurately are expensive. If the picture doesn't look right to you, just reset the white balance.

hmm you edited your long post

i've actually tried your recommendation before as someone mentioned it quit awhile back. the problem is that the 11pt WB is mapped to color temperature instead of picture modes. i only had issues with crushed blacks in hdr and making the changes to WB messes up how SDR looks. guess ill stick with adjusting gamma for now.

i also think that amazon app might be improperly displaying all UHD/4k content in HDR mode when they are SDR. Are movies like Paterson and Manchester by the Sea really supposed to be using it?
post #3545 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Yeah, i removed the long post. It belonged in a calibration forum, not here where owners and potential buyers just want basic information about the TV.

I agree with you about each input not having it's own adjustable white balance control. Definitely a feature I would hope to see in 2018.

Last edited by Pres2play; 11-05-2017 at 01:23 AM.
post #3546 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received this TV yesterday and I'm still trying to get it setup. I also picked up a new Denon x2400h to go with it. I ran my ps3 and directv DVR thru the avr and the avr to the tv. I used the optical to get sound from the tv to the avr.

I'm still running everything, but decently happy.

One big problem I saw was when I watched war for the planet of apes on bluray on the ps3 last night. It looked horrible. Any motion at all resulted in a low bitrate look (like when you stream a really low resolution video) and extreme motion blur. I finally enabled the video scaling on my ave and that helped a tremendous amount.

The tv seems to scale fine on other sources. Thoughts?

post #3547 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
hmm you edited your long post

i've actually tried your recommendation before as someone mentioned it quit awhile back. the problem is that the 11pt WB is mapped to color temperature instead of picture modes. i only had issues with crushed blacks in hdr and making the changes to WB messes up how SDR looks. guess ill stick with adjusting gamma for now.

i also think that amazon app might be improperly displaying all UHD/4k content in HDR mode when they are SDR. Are movies like Paterson and Manchester by the Sea really supposed to be using it?
Paterson and Manchester by the Sea are movies produced by Amazon Studios. Like a lot of their Original TV material, they are available in 4K HDR. I don't think the ones you mentioned are mis-labeled.
post #3548 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbys Back View Post
Is it normal that at times my T.v will flicker? as in a big flash of light then goes back to normal? It's only for less than a second but it happens every now and then. (Using netflix)
I’ve noticed this happen to me as well with Stranger Things season two as well as Mindhunter.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #3549 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Paterson and Manchester by the Sea are movies produced by Amazon Studios. Like a lot of their Original TV material, they are available in 4K HDR. I don't think the ones you mentioned are mis-labeled.
I think the idea popped into my head because of how the Netflix app works on consoles vs Roku and what happens as a result. Netflix clearly differentiates between 4K content and 4K/HDR content. The Roku app handles this correctly. But on consoles, Netflix app I see the HDR pop-up on launch and the result is a much darker picture on everything.

Amazon being mislabeled is probably the wrong word as they use the UHD for everything. But try watching the bar scenes in both of those movies and compare to the 1080p SDR version. Of course I could be entirely wrong and this is just how they intended it to look in HDR. But its so dark in some cases even after bumping gamma down to 1.8 where I wish there was an option to disable HDR altogether and watch a SDR version.
post #3550 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
I’ve noticed this happen to me as well with Stranger Things season two as well as Mindhunter.
I haven't seen it in the episodes of Season 2 of Stranger Things that I have watched thus far, but before the latest firmware release, I believe what you are both seeing is the LOCAL CONTRAST trying to adjust when moving from a dark to light or light to dark scene. Try adjusting LOCAL CONTRAST under ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS from HIGH to MEDIUM or LOW and see if that helps.
post #3551 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On the TCL I get black crush if I select PC color space on the Xbox One. Is there an HDMI dynamic range setting on the TCL? I ask because when I connected my Xbox One to my Sony TV I could keep the PC color space but I would have to enable "HDMI Full Range" on my Sony for it to look correct. Any one with an Xbox One notice and can offer a solution besides using Standard color space"?
post #3552 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
I have the PS4 Pro and the black levels are pretty good; however, you will find you can raise the brightness of the dark scenes in the Expert Picture Settings. Just go to 11-point white balance setting and raise the values at 5% and 10% IRE. Really you should use a meter, but raising them (R, G, B) equally to near max will treat any black crush. You will get more shadow detail this way, but be aware, raising the brightness will result in less contrast and the picture may even look washed out. Play with it until you find a setting that is good for you.

I just noticed you said the picture looks dark AND washed out. Maybe your brightness setting is set too high?

EDIT: I think you're describing something else, not black crush, but a generally dim picture. My mistake.
This is great advice. I've found a pretty good balance by putting 5% at 128 and 10% at 64. High enough to make crush pretty minimal in hdr content, not so high to kill contrast in SDR content.
Pres2play likes this.
post #3553 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 PM

On a roku stb you can press * in Netflix to get some stats on the show being played. *on this TV takes you to the tv settings. Any idea how to get it to show the Netflix stats?

post #3554 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_a_c View Post
On a roku stb you can press * in Netflix to get some stats on the show being played. *on this TV takes you to the tv settings. Any idea how to get it to show the Netflix stats?

It's not convenient, but press * before you hit play, and the stats will show up. The only way to turn them off is to stop the show and hit * again.
sandman_a_c likes this.
post #3555 of 6477 Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You still use the Asterisk * button, but you can't do it while the video is playing or you will pull up the TV SETTINGS MENU. You have to have Netflix open, but no video streaming. You can then press the Asterisk * button and start video and you will see stats in the upper left corner. To toggle stats OFF, you must stop the stream and then press the Asterisk * button again.
sandman_a_c likes this.
post #3556 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
On the TCL I get black crush if I select PC color space on the Xbox One. Is there an HDMI dynamic range setting on the TCL? I ask because when I connected my Xbox One to my Sony TV I could keep the PC color space but I would have to enable "HDMI Full Range" on my Sony for it to look correct. Any one with an Xbox One notice and can offer a solution besides using Standard color space"?
There is no reason to use the PC option on Xbox One unless you are using a monitor that requires it. Games and movies use standard 15-235 instead of 0-255.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
post #3557 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Liked: 31
Deleted

Last edited by abcekids; 11-06-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #3558 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Costco changed the model number to 55C803 "for members only".
To make matters worse the specifications do not mention a roku remote.
Does anyone know if this Costco offer is for the P 607?
The Costco TV is the C803. I have both that one and a P607 from Amazon and can confirm that the C803 doesn't have the voice remote. It's also edge lit although we've been more than satisfied with the picture on it as well, and it looks quite nice wall mounted in our more formal living area.

The remote is really a non-issue though if you have a smartphone and personally, we haven't used the advanced features of our P-series remote all that much anyway.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Last edited by abcekids; 11-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.
post #3559 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskda View Post
This is great advice. I've found a pretty good balance by putting 5% at 128 and 10% at 64. High enough to make crush pretty minimal in hdr content, not so high to kill contrast in SDR content.
Hmmm, will give this a try.
post #3560 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I haven't seen it in the episodes of Season 2 of Stranger Things that I have watched thus far, but before the latest firmware release, I believe what you are both seeing is the LOCAL CONTRAST trying to adjust when moving from a dark to light or light to dark scene. Try adjusting LOCAL CONTRAST under ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS from HIGH to MEDIUM or LOW and see if that helps.
If this is the same problem I'm having, I don't think it's local contrast. It's a problem with this TV and Dolby Vision when the screen should be pure black.

In Mindhunter, the problem was in the first five or so episodes. It happened between scenes and even between individual end-of-episode credits, like when PRODUCED BY switches to DIRECTED BY (where the screen should be completely black in-between). Instead there was a weird light gray-ish screen for one to three full seconds. When the next scene or credit starts, the screen will show it normally. There's no real flickering. I haven't gone back to check to see if it is repeatable on those episodes. This happened on different nights with the TV powered off and on several times in between.

On Stranger Things 2, the issue is a completely pure white screen. During a transition between scenes, where one scene ends in black and the next scene begins in black, there will again be one to three seconds of pure bright white. Again, this happened maybe a dozen times total on multiple nights of viewing.

There's obviously some problem with the TV handling Dolby Vision information from Netflix. When it's told to show a pure black screen, it bugs out and displays the weird gray or pure white. It has never happened in the middle of a shot, only on edit points. I believe it's only when the editor has inserted frames of pure black into the footage between scenes, but that's just a guess.

My only access to DV footage is through Netflix/Vudu/etc. I've only noticed it during Netflix.
post #3561 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post
If this is the same problem I'm having, I don't think it's local contrast. It's a problem with this TV and Dolby Vision when the screen should be pure black.

In Mindhunter, the problem was in the first five or so episodes. It happened between scenes and even between individual end-of-episode credits, like when PRODUCED BY switches to DIRECTED BY (where the screen should be completely black in-between). Instead there was a weird light gray-ish screen for one to three full seconds. When the next scene or credit starts, the screen will show it normally. There's no real flickering. I haven't gone back to check to see if it is repeatable on those episodes. This happened on different nights with the TV powered off and on several times in between.

On Stranger Things 2, the issue is a completely pure white screen. During a transition between scenes, where one scene ends in black and the next scene begins in black, there will again be one to three seconds of pure bright white. Again, this happened maybe a dozen times total on multiple nights of viewing.

There's obviously some problem with the TV handling Dolby Vision information from Netflix. When it's told to show a pure black screen, it bugs out and displays the weird gray or pure white. It has never happened in the middle of a shot, only on edit points. I believe it's only when the editor has inserted frames of pure black into the footage between scenes, but that's just a guess.

My only access to DV footage is through Netflix/Vudu/etc. I've only noticed it during Netflix.
I watch both of these series on Netflix in DV and haven't seen these issues.
post #3562 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can someone tell me what your HDR settings are? Most notably for video games? I'm not sure what HDR is supposed to look like on the PS4.
post #3563 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Tried this, 5% at 128 RGB and 10% 64, watched Mindhunter on Netflix and I think the dark scenes were washed out a little. Pretty sure my gamma was set to 2.0. Tried lowering the adjustments, 5% at 64 and 10% 32, that seemed a little better. Will try that for the next episode.
post #3564 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post

Yup, I had the bright white scene transitions with ST S2 as well. Annoying as hell. Thought it was part of the show but couldn’t figure out why the hell they were doing it.

Odd that only some people are seeing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3565 of 6477 Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
I think the idea popped into my head because of how the Netflix app works on consoles vs Roku and what happens as a result. Netflix clearly differentiates between 4K content and 4K/HDR content. The Roku app handles this correctly. But on consoles, Netflix app I see the HDR pop-up on launch and the result is a much darker picture on everything.

Amazon being mislabeled is probably the wrong word as they use the UHD for everything. But try watching the bar scenes in both of those movies and compare to the 1080p SDR version. Of course I could be entirely wrong and this is just how they intended it to look in HDR. But its so dark in some cases even after bumping gamma down to 1.8 where I wish there was an option to disable HDR altogether and watch a SDR version.
after further testing of amazon content it seems like it could possibly be the tv being over aggressive at darkening things on local dimming high. there are noticeable differences in the scenes moving between each level: off, low, med, high

when on high the suggestions you guys posted of bumping up the 11 pt at 5-10% seemed to help a bit without having to lower gamma. will leave it at that for awhile and see how i like it.
post #3566 of 6477 Old 11-07-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have CEC enabled for my Sony AVR. However when I turn on the TV the AVR goes on but when I shut off the TV the AVR is still on. Any ideas why it won't shut off as well? EDIT: Never mind, I found the option under CEC.

Last edited by helvetica bold; 11-07-2017 at 07:05 AM.
post #3567 of 6477 Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
Quote:
Tried this, 5% at 128 RGB and 10% 64, watched Mindhunter on Netflix and I think the dark scenes were washed out a little. Pretty sure my gamma was set to 2.0. Tried lowering the adjustments, 5% at 64 and 10% 32, that seemed a little better. Will try that for the next episode.
I keep my gamma at 2.2 which may be why these settings work for me.
cwick and blade005 like this.
post #3568 of 6477 Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HDR games all look washed out on this TV on Xbox One X. Tried going from 2.0 to auto, and then it won't even implement HDR. Anyone else having issues?
post #3569 of 6477 Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

One big problem I saw was when I watched war for the planet of apes on bluray on the ps3 last night. It looked horrible. Any motion at all resulted in a low bitrate look (like when you stream a really low resolution video) and extreme motion blur. I finally enabled the video scaling on my ave and that helped a tremendous amount.

The tv seems to scale fine on other sources. Thoughts?

Try turning on Game Mode. The same thing happened to me when I watched The Mummy on Blu-ray and Game Mode did the trick.

Did you have any audio sync issues? I think the Apes movies have DTS sound and I know there is a syncing issue with DTS for some people (including me).

Time Warner NYC (Astoria, Queens)
post #3570 of 6477 Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I'm not a TV specialist, but I notice that some people love the SOE and have it turned all all the time (on Sony and Samsung TV'S).
My wife hates it.
I think it's something to do with background focus?
I do not like the effect myself, but I noticed it makes the image much clearer. In movies, it makes actors act unnaturally?
I do not know if I'm explaining this well?
So you guys are saying the 607, has SOE turned on all the time?
The first time I ever noticed this was watching Blindspot on my Samsung KU6500, I would describe it as being able to tell the actors were on a set. I just picked up my P605 yesterday and this TV definitely does not have this feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page