*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4346Likes

post #3571 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethpuck View Post
HDR games all look washed out on this TV on Xbox One X. Tried going from 2.0 to auto, and then it won't even implement HDR. Anyone else having issues?
I am in the process of downloading Gears now, I will update you if I see anything. I will also download the Forza 7 demo and check it out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Will be home trying mine out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3573 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
Can someone tell me what your HDR settings are? Most notably for video games? I'm not sure what HDR is supposed to look like on the PS4.
Here are mine for HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Brightness level is set to “bright“ on both.

Keep in mind that there are gamma settings and other calibration settings under the expert menu that I️ don’t have access to at the moment. I can grab a screenshot of those later if you would like. Hope this helps.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Ok i tried out stranger things 2...man this show stands out a lot more than some of the others shows using hdr. Just that beginning where you have all the neon light signage at the arcade and the colors in the upside down looked really great.

Using the suggestion of Bright DV and bumping up the 5-10% white point balance helped with it not looking too dark either.
post #3575 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post
If this is the same problem I'm having, I don't think it's local contrast. It's a problem with this TV and Dolby Vision when the screen should be pure black.

In Mindhunter, the problem was in the first five or so episodes. It happened between scenes and even between individual end-of-episode credits, like when PRODUCED BY switches to DIRECTED BY (where the screen should be completely black in-between). Instead there was a weird light gray-ish screen for one to three full seconds. When the next scene or credit starts, the screen will show it normally. There's no real flickering. I haven't gone back to check to see if it is repeatable on those episodes. This happened on different nights with the TV powered off and on several times in between.

On Stranger Things 2, the issue is a completely pure white screen. During a transition between scenes, where one scene ends in black and the next scene begins in black, there will again be one to three seconds of pure bright white. Again, this happened maybe a dozen times total on multiple nights of viewing.

There's obviously some problem with the TV handling Dolby Vision information from Netflix. When it's told to show a pure black screen, it bugs out and displays the weird gray or pure white. It has never happened in the middle of a shot, only on edit points. I believe it's only when the editor has inserted frames of pure black into the footage between scenes, but that's just a guess.

My only access to DV footage is through Netflix/Vudu/etc. I've only noticed it during Netflix.
I have had this issue from the beginning. What I do and it usually fixes it and you can test by pausing on the screens you have described. Simply go to local contrast setting and turn it off, then turn it back to whatever your setting is and it "usually" fixes it. Like it needs to be reset all the time. But literally any time I turn my tv on its one of the first things I do cause it doesn't feel like it activates. I can pause directv and wait till the screen saver to come on and most times its a gray and not black, disabling and enabling the local contrast fixes it. Annoying for sure. And like I said "usually" fixes it from then on where I don't have to keep doing it unless I change inputs. Give it a try.
post #3576 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
HDR games all look washed out on this TV on Xbox One X. Tried going from 2.0 to auto, and then it won't even implement HDR. Anyone else having issues?

Wow you weren’t kidding. Just fired up Forza 7 and it looks horrible...

Working on trying to find something respectable for settings now.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3577 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 743
My Xbox One X Scorpio arrived today and I am also noticing really bad washout with HDR games.
post #3578 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
My Xbox One X Scorpio arrived today and I am also noticing really bad washout with HDR games.

Turning down brightness to about 40 seems to bring the color back to life for me. Also make sure you turn on local dimming as it’s off by default in hdr.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3579 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes...only HDR game I have tried is Forza 7 Demo and it looks pretty bad/washed out.
post #3580 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post
If this is the same problem I'm having, I don't think it's local contrast. It's a problem with this TV and Dolby Vision when the screen should be pure black.

In Mindhunter, the problem was in the first five or so episodes. It happened between scenes and even between individual end-of-episode credits, like when PRODUCED BY switches to DIRECTED BY (where the screen should be completely black in-between). Instead there was a weird light gray-ish screen for one to three full seconds. When the next scene or credit starts, the screen will show it normally. There's no real flickering. I haven't gone back to check to see if it is repeatable on those episodes. This happened on different nights with the TV powered off and on several times in between.

On Stranger Things 2, the issue is a completely pure white screen. During a transition between scenes, where one scene ends in black and the next scene begins in black, there will again be one to three seconds of pure bright white. Again, this happened maybe a dozen times total on multiple nights of viewing.

There's obviously some problem with the TV handling Dolby Vision information from Netflix. When it's told to show a pure black screen, it bugs out and displays the weird gray or pure white. It has never happened in the middle of a shot, only on edit points. I believe it's only when the editor has inserted frames of pure black into the footage between scenes, but that's just a guess.

My only access to DV footage is through Netflix/Vudu/etc. I've only noticed it during Netflix.
Had the SAME EXACT issues happen on my 55P605. Using Rtings calibration settings for everything and most up to date Roku download. I honestly thought the white screen in Stranger Things 2 was on purpose. Came here after I got the flickering during Mindhunters... I thought maybe it was spliced images like from Fight Club, but then when I went back to check them out I noticed they didn't happen again.

So strange. Hopefully this gets figured out. No issues with other titles in DV that I'm aware of.
post #3581 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I have had this issue from the beginning. What I do and it usually fixes it and you can test by pausing on the screens you have described. Simply go to local contrast setting and turn it off, then turn it back to whatever your setting is and it "usually" fixes it. Like it needs to be reset all the time. But literally any time I turn my tv on its one of the first things I do cause it doesn't feel like it activates. I can pause directv and wait till the screen saver to come on and most times its a gray and not black, disabling and enabling the local contrast fixes it. Annoying for sure. And like I said "usually" fixes it from then on where I don't have to keep doing it unless I change inputs. Give it a try.
Good catch. Started happening on mine last week and since toggling the dimming mode has not happened again.
post #3582 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
Turning down brightness to about 40 seems to bring the color back to life for me. Also make sure you turn on local dimming as it’s off by default in hdr.

I checked my local dimming is set to high...i toggled it a few times just to be safe.

Lower Brightness seems to have helped some but still does not look right....especially the XB1 dashboard...looks really washed out.

Also, not sure what it means but the XB1 built in HDTV Calibration tool doesnt seem to work correctly... No matter what I do I can never get the brightness test eye to appear.

I rehooked up my old XB1 and the Calibration HDTV tool works correctly....so its definitely a problem with the X.

Might try switch X back to 1080p and see what that does.
post #3583 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I checked my local dimming is set to high...i toggled it a few times just to be safe.

Lower Brightness seems to have helped some but still does not look right....especially the XB1 dashboard...looks really washed out.

Also, not sure what it means but the XB1 built in HDTV Calibration tool doesnt seem to work correctly... No matter what I do I can never get the brightness test eye to appear.

I rehooked up my old XB1 and the Calibration HDTV tool works correctly....so its definitely a problem with the X.

Might try switch X back to 1080p and see what that does.

Hrm... my dashboard doesn’t look any different but it’s also not doing hdr at the dashboard just my normal settings.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3584 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 394
StrangerThings does look amazing. Great contrast and shadows and vivid colors.
post #3585 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hrm... my dashboard doesn’t look any different but it’s also not doing hdr at the dashboard just my normal settings.

I also noticed no difference changing the XB1 RGB level setting which seems odd. I know on old XB1...if i switched to PC everything was washed out.
post #3586 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM

I went in Xbox display settings and went back to 1080p then reset up 4K and turned local dimming off and back on and now everything looks great... brightness back to 50. Odd.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3587 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 221
HDR seems to be more of a headache than it's worth. No standard; inconsistent across different televisions, platforms, media type, and content; bizarre little inexplicable fixes with no real instruction by any of the companies that make these happen, etc.

Does it even look better? I mean that seriously. Is the constant switching, testing, and resolving truly even worth any value?

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #3588 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
The Xbox One X doesn’t seem to have the RGB error the OG Xbox has. I have it set to PC, 12 Bit and Gears 4 looks fantastic. But I like a contrast rich picture. I have gamma set to 2.4.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #3589 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a way to confirm what reslolution is being used? For instance, on my Visio I can click “info” and it will tell what resolution is currently being displayed.
post #3590 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Also, not sure if this was posted, but MS released an app for the One X that showcases 4K and HDR. It has toggles to turn them on and off so you can see the differences. Pretty cool although on this TV doesn’t look like HDR is a significant difference.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...?wa=wsignin1.0
post #3591 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Quote:
Hrm... my dashboard doesn?t look any different but it?s also not doing hdr at the dashboard just my normal settings.

I also noticed no difference changing the XB1 RGB level setting which seems odd. I know on old XB1...if i switched to PC everything was washed out.

I am using hdr bright and turned up color for hdr to 70 and things are looking better. Forza is amazing
post #3592 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBuckly View Post
Try turning on Game Mode. The same thing happened to me when I watched The Mummy on Blu-ray and Game Mode did the trick.

Did you have any audio sync issues? I think the Apes movies have DTS sound and I know there is a syncing issue with DTS for some people (including me).

Thanks. I'll try the game mode. I also plan on hooking the ps3 straight to the tv to see if that makes a difference.

As for audio sync, not from the ps3 yet. I thought I might have seen some from directv, but they were very slight. My receiver has an audio sync. I have played with turning it on and off and can't really tell a difference.

post #3593 of 6478 Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom631 View Post
Is there a way to confirm what reslolution is being used? For instance, on my Visio I can click “info” and it will tell what resolution is currently being displayed.
Yea you just have to press the "ok" button and it will give you the information on what's being displayed
post #3594 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I cannot find the TCL 55P7607 on amazon germany, only the TCL U55P6046 is sold amazon.de is it the same tv? I have my doubts since it says it's been available since february 2017 and the 55P7607 was released at the end of june
post #3595 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 03:09 AM

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

In regards to Xbox one x, The first time I launched forza 7 it looked horrible and washed out. Ii tried messing with TV settings with no real luck. Then I didn’t do much other than go in and check Xbox display settings and reset to 4K and toggled local dimming off and back on and since then it looks great. Baffled.

I don’t know what changed I’ve looked over all my settings and it’s pretty much default.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X

Last edited by crawlgsx; 11-08-2017 at 03:21 AM.
post #3596 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecinu View Post
I picked up a 55P605 from Best Buy last week and have a couple of things to report.

The screen itself is great, I haven't experienced the blue/purple lines mentioned in this thread. The colors are great, tested with YCbCr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 @ 60Hz 2160p. Roku is intuitive and easy to use and everything promised work. I tested ARC to my old Denon AVR-4311ci and that also worked well.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing terrible backlight bleeding from all 4 corners and the flashes of light mentioned in the Amazon reviews. Local dimming on this screen actually makes dark scenes horrible, I see the constant on/off of LEDs in the dark areas of the screen and it's very distracting.

With subtitles on, the TV sometimes turns on certain zones and the backlight bleed from the corners is really visible on really dark scenes. I'll post some photos later tonight.

On top of that, I wasn't able to get 4K HDR content through the built-in Roku player through Amazon Prime. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

I also tried playing H.265 HEVC 4K media through the Roku Media Player but it kept saying "Unsupported file type" so no luck on that end either.

What I learned so far is that HDR is still not ready for prime time on Windows 10. I tried a bunch of combinations with madVR + LAVFilters + MPC-BE/HC but I kept getting lag/stutter, it only worked with PowerDVD.

I just got my P605 yesterday from BB. I have a Denon 3311ci & cannot get ARC to work. I assume you have the HDMI out of your Denon going to HDMI 3 (the ARC input on the P605) which is how man is connected, but whenever I use any app (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu) the sound only comes out of the TV speakers. I have selected TV on my Denon remote. Do I have something different than you?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #3597 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
In regards to Xbox one x, The first time I launched forza 7 it looked horrible and washed out. Ii tried messing with TV settings with no real luck. Then I didn’t do much other than go in and check Xbox display settings and reset to 4K and toggled local dimming off and back on and since then it looks great. Baffled.

I don’t know what changed I’ve looked over all my settings and it’s pretty much default.

Interesting. I will have to do this when I get home. I used the calibration settings from RTINGS last night and my TV just looked SOOOO dim with the new X1X. It definitely needs to be brighter for the X1X to pop with colors. What other settings are you using?
post #3598 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HDR seems to be working using the Xbox One X. However, since I calibrated my P605 using the rtings settings, my TV seems so dim/dark. It is in a lightly lit room but seems very dark. I think I may just go back to default settings :-(. I want to see the colors pop with brightness.
post #3599 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
Here are mine for HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Brightness level is set to “bright“ on both.

Keep in mind that there are gamma settings and other calibration settings under the expert menu that I️ don’t have access to at the moment. I can grab a screenshot of those later if you would like. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I would love to see the other settings too once you have access.
Tremaine Wright likes this.
post #3600 of 6478 Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
I just got my P605 yesterday from BB. I have a Denon 3311ci & cannot get ARC to work. I assume you have the HDMI out of your Denon going to HDMI 3 (the ARC input on the P605) which is how man is connected, but whenever I use any app (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu) the sound only comes out of the TV speakers. I have selected TV on my Denon remote. Do I have something different than you?
Have you enabled HDMI ARC on the TCL TV? You have to enable the check boxes for HDMI ARC, SYSTEM AUDIO CONTROL and SYSTEM STANDBY in the menu SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- CONTROL OTHER DEVICES (CEC). If you get that working then you can turn OFF the TV Speakers in menu SETTINGS -- AUDIO -- TV SPEAKERS (DISABLE).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page