*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #3661 of 6368 Old 11-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased the p605 from Best Buy today. I have a few questions and am looking for guidance.

1. How do I test for backlight bleed?
2. What are some other tests that I should run or are must runs?
3. My options look different from when I browsed the web. I don't have the options menu on top right with black background that I see. I only have the options to change picture settings from bright, brighter, normal, darker, etc. Where are the other options that I see people set up on youtube and what not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 6368 Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
I thought the blank white scenes in Stranger Things 2 was on purpose? And yes, I also get quick flashes from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #3663 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Saw the white screen today while watching SprangerThings on Netflix. It happened twice during the episode 'The Spy'.

I don't think it's the TV, it hasn't occurred once with Dolby Vision Blurays or any other content I watch.

The light is blinding. Netflix or TCL, who ever is responsible, better get on it before someone gets hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Liked: 0
Just bought P605 from Best Buy and have a few questions.

2. Are there any other tests that I should run or are MUST runs to test the tv?
3. I can't seem to find options to change all the settings. I only have picture Tv settings to brighter, bright, normal, dark, etc. I don't have options like I see in other people's tv where they can change manual brightness and contrast levels. Where do I get to this?
post #3665 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibs View Post

3. I can't seem to find options to change all the settings. I only have picture Tv settings to brighter, bright, normal, dark, etc. I don't have options like I see in other people's tv where they can change manual brightness and contrast levels. Where do I get to this?
You have to download the Roku app on your smartphone then connect it to your p605 through the same WiFi network and then you go to settings in the Roku app where you should see expert settings. That's where you find the white balance, gamma etc.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
post #3666 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Watched Atomic Blonde using Dolby Vision yesterday and also noticed small white flashes (different than what’s happening with Stranger Things) from time to time. They are very slight and would almost seem intentional if not for the fact that it also happened when I was using Dolby Vision on Netflix. What’s up with that? Hoping this new update comes out soon and fixes it.
theboomr likes this.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #3667 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just recently pulled the trigger on the BB variant of this set. I have been reading in and out of this forum for a bit now. I have quite a bit of the flashlighting mentioned previously when FALD is disabled. I also found about six stuck pixels on the far edge of my screen, but that was with me searching for them.

Anyway, would you guys consider this to be about what I should expect if I try and do an even exchange?

I've not seen anyone post that they've got uniform non-FALD black screens at all yet (or at least I wasn't convinced that they didn't disable FALD).

Would you guys consider this much flashlight ing offensive enough to return?

Has anyone had any luck swapping the panel for one with better uniformity?

I know I'm a bit OCD, but I just know that there are scenarios when FALD is better disabled. Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171107_183917_1510499785309.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	892.7 KB
ID:	2314028  

Last edited by BadtheChadass; 11-12-2017 at 08:21 AM.
post #3668 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadtheChadass View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just recently pulled the trigger on the BB variant of this set. I have been reading in and out of this forum for a bit now. I have quite a bit of the flashlighting mentioned previously when FALD is disabled. I also found about six stuck pixels on the far edge of my screen, but that was with me searching for them.

Anyway, would you guys consider this to be about what I should expect if I try and do an even exchange?

I've not seen anyone post that they've got uniform non-FALD black screens at all yet (or at least I wasn't convinced that they didn't disable FALD).

I know I'm a bit OCD, but I just know that there are scenarios when FALD is better disabled. Thanks for any input!
Not sure why you would disable FALD. The TV is designed to use it. I would argue the image you put up is artificial as it does not use all of the dimming zones. I have not had any uniformity issues pop up on content.
bguzman likes this.
post #3669 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becfc View Post
Quote:

Not sure why you would disable FALD. The TV is designed to use it. I would argue the image you put up is artificial as it does not use all of the dimming zones. I have not had any uniformity issues pop up on content.
Thanks for the response. I'm not really sure what you mean about it being artificial? I set it to a black screen and turned the FALD off. With it on, the flashlighting is still slightly there on low and completely gone at high.

I just figured there may be times when you don't use FALD at starry night scenes etc, when the local dimming can be kind of aggressive and dim the stars.

The old ccfl lcd I replaced had great black uniformity and my buddie's $300 direct lit Westinghouse has near perfect uniformity and it doesn't have FALD at all.

I'm just trying to be sure of the panel before my exchange window closes. I know it can be somewhat of a panel lottery and I'd hate to get a set with worse or other issues. At the same time, it would be nice to get a set with even back lighting and have the FALD to enhance the quality, rather than a crutch to mask the issue.

I just haven't seen any posts of anyone saying that exchange did them any good.
theboomr likes this.
post #3670 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm not really sure what you mean about it being artificial? I set it to a black screen and turned the FALD off. With it on, the flashlighting is still slightly there on low and completely gone at high.

I just figured there may be times when you don't use FALD at starry night scenes etc, when the local dimming can be kind of aggressive and dim the stars.

The old ccfl lcd I replaced had great black uniformity and my buddie's $300 direct lit Westinghouse has near perfect uniformity and it doesn't have FALD at all.

I'm just trying to be sure of the panel before my exchange window closes. I know it can be somewhat of a panel lottery and I'd hate to get a set with worse or other issues. At the same time, it would be nice to get a set with even back lighting and have the FALD to enhance the quality, rather than a crutch to mask the issue.

How is your screen uniformity with FALD enabled? Mine is great. That is how I watch it because I bought an FALD tv to have FALD. You are purposefully inhibiting the TV in order to display a "shortcoming" for something that probably less than 1% of consumers would ever consider doing. Watch real content on it with FALD on and if you don't like it, take it back. It's silly to buy an FALD tv amongst all of the non FALD TV's and then not use that distinguishing feature. It's like buying a 4k HDR tv and watching the 1080p SDR version of Netflix content and then complaining that the picture isn't as good as 4k HDR.
erhurd likes this.

LG 65E6
LG 55EA9800
TCL 55p605
ViewSonic Pro8100- still going
post #3671 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Here you go Xbox One X owner. I also made a thread in the Xbox section. Black levels are messed up.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#3b72e8d2bdea

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #3672 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone use PS Vue with this TV and how does it look?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3673 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becfc View Post
Quote:

How is your screen uniformity with FALD enabled? Mine is great. That is how I watch it because I bought an FALD tv to have FALD. You are purposefully inhibiting the TV in order to display a "shortcoming" for something that probably less than 1% of consumers would ever consider doing. Watch real content on it with FALD on and if you don't like it, take it back. It's silly to buy an FALD tv amongst all of the non FALD TV's and then not use that distinguishing feature. It's like buying a 4k HDR tv and watching the 1080p SDR version of Netflix content and then complaining that the picture isn't as good as 4k HDR.
I can't argue a single point you've provided. Thanks. I think I just needed someone to shift my perspective to that of rationality.

That being said, the uniformity is perfect on High, but some of the flashligh ting can still be seen on low.
post #3674 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What screw size do I need for mounting this? The FCC link says m6x13 but tcl manual says m6 x 18. Where do I get M6 x 18?

I'm using an older mount and don't have the extra screws anymore.

My Kanto Mount from my other 75" came with M6x15mm and M6x30 but I don't think they would work. Page 3 is the mounting hardware from another FMX mount i have
https://kantomounts.com/wp-content/u...-07_linear.pdf

Can I use anything from there?

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 11-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #3675 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Anyone use PS Vue with this TV and how does it look?

Mixed for me. Some channels look fair to good while some are awful. Waiting for the 8.0 Roku update which adds a channel guide.
theboomr likes this.
post #3676 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
I have been watching quite a bit of Netflix and Amazon Prime 4K HDR and DV. I kind of agree, to me, the picture looks really good especially with the lights dimmed in a dark room. Great picture, but nothing jaw dropping like you get from some of the demos on Youtube or the LG downloaded files mentioned earlier in this thread.

cwick, when you are watching Amazon Prime 4K do you have your Denton providing sound? I ask because I have an 3311ci & although I see several titles marked as 4K, I can never get them to play at that resolution. This only happens with Prime. With Netflix, Hulu, & YouTube I get 4K & HDR where applicable with my Devon providing sound via ARC.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #3677 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
cwick, when you are watching Amazon Prime 4K do you have your Denton providing sound? I ask because I have an 3311ci & although I see several titles marked as 4K, I can never get them to play at that resolution. This only happens with Prime. With Netflix, Hulu, & YouTube I get 4K & HDR where applicable with my Devon providing sound via ARC.
I output sound from the TV to the Denon using the fiber cable. The AV I have is several years old and does not support ARC or 4K at all.
post #3678 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
I output sound from the TV to the Denon using the fiber cable. The AV I have is several years old and does not support ARC or 4K at all.

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #3679 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibs View Post

Below is YouTube link to backlight bleed test video. Turn OFF Local Contrast FALD and run video and it will give you an indication of how much backlight bleed you have. Mine shows a small amount near the corners (as expected), but minimal. Turn ON Local Contrast FALD to HIGH and you will likely see your screen go pitch black as you would want.

bguzman likes this.
post #3680 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolson View Post
Mixed for me. Some channels look fair to good while some are awful. Waiting for the 8.0 Roku update which adds a channel guide.
I might continue to use my firestick then. The interface on PS4 and sticks is slick

post #3681 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
I can't argue a single point you've provided. Thanks. I think I just needed someone to shift my perspective to that of rationality.

That being said, the uniformity is perfect on High, but some of the flashligh ting can still be seen on low.
FWIW, I got an exchange for dead pixels and the flashlighting is worse on my second one. So there are some better panels out there, just no perfect ones it seems
post #3682 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What screw size do I need for mounting this? The FCC link says m6x13 but tcl manual says m6 x 18. Where do I get M6 x 18?

My Kanto Mount from my other 75" came with M6x15mm and M6x30 but I don't think they would work. Page 3 is the mounting hardware from another FMX mount i have

i picked up the 605 from best buy yesterday.. came home and removed my 47" 1080p LG from my old wall mount.. went to mount the brackets to the 605 and the screws were too short.. i wanted to mount it since i just drove over 1hr to pickup the tv from the best buy and it was already 8pm so i checked my garage for any M6 bolts or screws.. found a bag from lowes that i had purchased before for another project and ended up not using.. they were M6 x 10mm and they worked fine.. i even used a small washer.. tv was mounted last night and i hooked up my xbox one x to it and did some testing.. found my HDMI cables were not fast enough for HDR content as i got artifacts and banding.. installed a newer HDMI cable and all is well..

good luck..
post #3683 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

https://kantomounts.com/wp-content/u...-07_linear.pdf

I was unable to find M6 x 18 screws at the local hardware stores so I bought M6 x 20 and they worked fine.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
post #3684 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
I was unable to find M6 x 18 screws at the local hardware stores so I bought M6 x 20 and they worked fine.

Same. Should I use washers that I have for M6 bolts that are 1mm each and do 2 per bolt?

Also did you use any spacers or lock washers?

post #3685 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Same. Should I use washers that I have for M6 bolts that are 1mm each and do 2 per bolt?

Also did you use any spacers or lock washers?

Can't recall 100% how many washers I used but I just had a poke around behind the TV and it feels like I only used a single 1mm washer. Definitely didn't use spacers or lock washers.

I'm pretty sure I tested how far the 20mm screws would go directly into the TV and they actually never bottomed out. So I didn't feel the need to do anything special with washers to compensate for the longer screws.

whizkid39 likes this.
post #3686 of 6368 Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Playing Horizon: ZD on a PS4 pro in HDR on this TV. Um...is it me or am I not seeing a massive difference with HDR on?
post #3687 of 6368 Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpetree View Post
Damn so the good one wasn't released in Germany ?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk
Ant input on this ? I really want to get this TV
post #3688 of 6368 Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Picked this up yesterday. Watched 2 4k HDR movies and played a fair bit of Forza 7 in HDR.

Initial thoughts:
Everything about the TV is amazing, except it has some backlight bleed (minor) and the uniformity is pretty bad. HDR on the other hand is absolutely mind-blowing and the colors are fantastic. This is the only TV aside from an OLED that gave me the 'colors pop right out of the screen' feeling. Not sure how much HDR has to do with that though.

Example of poor screen uniformity:
When racing around in Forza, the top half of the screen is usually a relatively solid gray/blue from the sky. When taking quick turns, I can definitely see little hazy patches or blotches that stay in place while the sky zooms around on the screen. This shouldn't be confused with actual fog or clouds in the sky (even though the effect may be similar). It is just poor screen uniformity that causes this effect.

Important note about screen uniformity:
I found that if you dial down the 'backlight' to around 20-30 in HDR, the 'blotchyness' from poor screen uniformity is drastically reduced. This also lessens the HDR effect though, so it's a trade off.

Closing thoughts:
If it wasn't for the poor uniformity, I would 100% be in love with the P607. At the price I paid for the P607 (and the extra cost of upgrading to an LG B7 OLED), it's extremely hard to justify the upgrading to an OLED. Also, just sticking with my old TV until OLED prices come down more is still an option as well. Speaking of my old TV, I feel like I got extremely lucky with it. It has absolutely zero backlight bleed and screen uniformity is probably the best you can get with a budget TV. Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I will probably give it a week or so and see how I feel after more time with it. The poor screen uniformity really bothers me, but at the same time, it would be really hard to go back to my non-HDR set. HDR is an absolute game changer and looks really stunning.
post #3689 of 6368 Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any specific Sound Bar Mounts that you know works with this TV?

Looking to mount under TV

Saw these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DW1XOCY
post #3690 of 6368 Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok.. after using the tv for 2 days.. im pretty pleased with it.. like other people have mentioned there is some light bleed/flashlighting however it goes away as soon as i turn on FALD to low.. which is weird.. is there a way to turn FALD on all the time? i know the tv defaults to "low power mode" on my set unless I go in and set for each input/app.. but even the main default red theme TCL screen looks fine only when i start an app do you see any light bleed and then it goes away when it finally loads the content/app and the new settings i changed kick in..

btw.. using it with a Xbox One X.. HDR games look amazing.. did anyone download the Insect demo showing the differences with HDR on/off and 4k on/off.. ? pretty cool.. free download but its like 1.7gb..

Been amazed at the 4k youtube videos.. some of the default Roku apps look great too.. any other apps you guys suggest.. even "private" ones..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page