*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4315Likes

post #3721 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokstar View Post
Ok so im new here and ive been coming to this thread daily ever since i got my tcl p605 from bestbuy. Ive been looking at people changing settings, hdr modes etc etc and i for the life of me cannot understand why my tv doesnt have alot of these settings. I dont have a game mode setting AT ALL, i dont have things like "dark hdr" modes as well as some other modes. Im at work currently but going off memory i believe all i have is brightness modes like "vivid" and "normal". When i go to update the firmware from within roku on the tv it says my firmware is up to date so i dont understand why you guys have different settings than mine? I even tried downloading the latest update from the roku site and putting it on a usb stick, inserting the usb stick into the tv, and all it does is bring up the roku media player that doesnt show the update at all. I read online that some code is supposed to pop up for me to install the update but it never happens no matter what i do. I even re-formatted the usb stick so theres nothing on there and the update STILL doesnt show up on my tv. I already got all the inputs set to hdmi 2.0 as well. Im getting to the point where im close to taking the tv back because im not getting any answers to fix the problem. Am i missing something? Can somebody please help me figure this out :-(
1. GAME MODE setting is not on the first screen when you pull up Picture Settings with the Asterisk * button on Roku remote. It is under the ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS submenu.

2. HDR and DV (Dolby Vision) Picture Modes are only available in the Picture Menu settings when the content streaming is HDR or DV content. Streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube offer HDR and/or DV content. Or, you must have a UHD capable player and UHD disc with either HDR or DV to access those Picture Modes.

The HDR Channel on YouTube has HDR content you can test out to see if you get HDR picture modes when streaming. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...FNipzeAGBI5t9g
anderg and theboomr like this.

Last edited by blade005; 11-14-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post
TODAY IS "D" DAY!!!

My set is on the Fedex Truck waiting to be destroyed...eerr delivered.

This forum has scared me to death. I'm expecting to lose the panel lottery, have serious clouding, uneven screen, bad corner lighting, mysterious lines, half the screen upside down, and now a mysterious green screen effect. Plus I'm totally expecting the Fedex guy to drop kick my set onto my porch. If I had it to do over again, I definitely would have bought the 605 from Bestbuy and had it delivered days ago. I could have been through two returns by now... I will report my findings once it finally gets delivered.
Good news is that your expectation bar is so low you can easily vault over it!!

I purchased the P605 thru Best Buy and it was delivered the next day by two (2) guys who respectfully walked it into my living room. Set it up and have had very few issues and/or screen faults. Bare in mind that a LOT of these sets are being purchased and there are about 4,000 posts on here with some panel failures. It is a numbers game, but many more are pleased with their panels than unhappy. Happy people are busy watching 'stuff' on their set. Unhappy people are here posting their panel lottery woes.

Best of luck on your special 'D' day!! Welcome to the club!!
post #3723 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokstar View Post
Ok so im new here and ive been coming to this thread daily ever since i got my tcl p605 from bestbuy. Ive been looking at people changing settings, hdr modes etc etc and i for the life of me cannot understand why my tv doesnt have alot of these settings. I dont have a game mode setting AT ALL, i dont have things like "dark hdr" modes as well as some other modes. Im at work currently but going off memory i believe all i have is brightness modes like "vivid" and "normal". When i go to update the firmware from within roku on the tv it says my firmware is up to date so i dont understand why you guys have different settings than mine? I even tried downloading the latest update from the roku site and putting it on a usb stick, inserting the usb stick into the tv, and all it does is bring up the roku media player that doesnt show the update at all. I read online that some code is supposed to pop up for me to install the update but it never happens no matter what i do. I even re-formatted the usb stick so theres nothing on there and the update STILL doesnt show up on my tv. I already got all the inputs set to hdmi 2.0 as well. Im getting to the point where im close to taking the tv back because im not getting any answers to fix the problem. Am i missing something? Can somebody please help me figure this out :-(
it can be a lil frustrating but these guys are right.. i found game mode on/off very quickly.. most of the settings are in 'advanced picture settings' but the HDR settings only appeared after i hooked up the xbox one x and then went into the input settings and turned on HDMI 2.0 as it was previously set to AUTO.. also i downloaded the Roku app for my iphone and there are more settings in there.. im a newb here (new username) so i can't post a link but if you search on youtube there is a video for the p605 showing the roku app settings..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Have anyone had Network issues with this TV?

I have it right next to my Router on a 5ghz line 150MB connection.

Just got the TV yesterday and used a Firestick with my old Plasma for 2 years without issues so it shouldnt be the router unless Roku handles randoms disconnects differently.

Basically was watching netflix and got booted to a Network connectivity error msg. Clicked ok and things worked again.

Now was just watching PS Vue, and randomly it went to "Loading" and I had to restart vue.
post #3725 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody else try Wolfenstein 2 on the Xbox One X with this set? I've run into some pretty jarring issues with it. The entire screen gets random green tint pop-in and I also get vertical green and red line down the screen. Changing my console's output t 1080p completely fixes it and changing the picture size from Auto/Direct to Normal also helps quite a bit, but then a I have to play a little zoomed in and there's also still some of the same graphical weirdness. This is the only game where I have these issues. Anybody have any idea what's going on? The fact changing the screen size helps is odd to me.
post #3726 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Finally saw the white screen, Stranger Things II, episode 6. Happened once so far...continues?
post #3727 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Odd thing is, I didn't see the white screen the whole first season. Now I'm afraid to go back and check.
post #3728 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Odd thing is, I didn't see the white screen the whole first season. Now I'm afraid to go back and check.
First season is not in DV HDR. Season 2 is. I think that is what is causing the issue that some are seeing.
theboomr likes this.
post #3729 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Whenever I set game mode on Local dimming is no longer an option. I thought I read somewhere that an update allows local dimming while in game mode. I've checked for updates and am up to date, just received my TV last Saturday. Anyone have any idea?

Been really happy with the picture quality coming from a Samsung panel plasma. I think I got a good panel. The only minor issue I have noticed is some darkening in the corners of the panel, only notice it if the screen is completely white, the corners appear a bit gray. Other then that, I have been very happy with the pq, especially the black levels which I was concerned about coming from a plasma. The local dimming really seems to help.
post #3730 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post
Whenever I set game mode on Local dimming is no longer an option. I thought I read somewhere that an update allows local dimming while in game mode. I've checked for updates and am up to date, just received my TV last Saturday. Anyone have any idea?

Been really happy with the picture quality coming from a Samsung panel plasma. I think I got a good panel. The only minor issue I have noticed is some darkening in the corners of the panel, only notice it if the screen is completely white, the corners appear a bit gray. Other then that, I have been very happy with the pq, especially the black levels which I was concerned about coming from a plasma. The local dimming really seems to help.
My local dimming works fine with game mode on. Did you check to see if your set has the latest firmware installed?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #3731 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
My local dimming works fine with game mode on. Did you check to see if your set has the latest firmware installed?

I have it connected to the internet, and when I check for an update it says I have the latest. I am gaming with an Xbox One X
post #3732 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I have it connected to the internet, and when I check for an update it says I have the latest.
Strange. Out of curiosity, what do you have the HDMI port set to? Auto or 2.0?

I have a One X also.

Last edited by amstel78; 11-14-2017 at 03:56 PM.
post #3733 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Strange. Out of curiosity, what do you have the HDMI port set to? Auto or 2.0?

I have a One X also.

I set it to 2.0.
post #3734 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I set it to 2.0.
Not sure what to tell you then. Perhaps give tech support a call?

post #3735 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
So does this TV work correctly with 24hz signals or not? So frustrated. Yes I have noise reduction turned off on all inputs. When ever I enable 24hz on my Xbox One X or my older BD player I see more stuttering on camera pans. Switch back to 60hz and everything looks much better. I guess technically this TV supports 24hz but it sure doesn't seem to handle it very good. It's my one disappoint with this TV. Could I be missing something, has anyone gotten rid of the stutter with 24hz?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #3736 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM

Wrong forum I know, but just wanted to know if the YouTube app for Xbox supports HDR? None of the videos on the HDR YouTube channel would activate HDR on the 607 using the app on the Xbox. Plays just fine with the Roku app though.

post #3737 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
So does this TV work correctly with 24hz signals or not? So frustrated. Yes I have noise reduction turned off on all inputs. When ever I enable 24hz on my Xbox One X or my older BD player I see more stuttering on camera pans. Switch back to 60hz and everything looks much better. I guess technically this TV supports 24hz but it sure doesn't seem to handle it very good. It's my one disappoint with this TV. Could I be missing something, has anyone gotten rid of the stutter with 24hz?
The next roku update is supposed to have an option where it can auto detect or you manually specify the refresh rate according to what you are viewing. Hopefully that helps. The judder can be a bit distracting for sure on some things. Really wish they would enable hdmi black level for this tv too.
post #3738 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
i got mine saturday evening p605.. first thing i did was update then tried local dimming while in game mode and it works.. what is the version that you have on your tv? when i goto check update mine says
Software Version : 7:7:0
Build : 4154
post #3739 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
Finally saw the white screen, Stranger Things II, episode 6. Happened once so far...continues?
I've seen this on several episodes of Stranger Things S2. I've also seen a gray screen on Mind Hunter. Think it was the end of the first episode?
theboomr likes this.
post #3740 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
No, that 24hz mode is only for Roku players, not TVs. It specifically says that in the release notes on the Roku blog.
post #3741 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 120
any news on roku 8 update? hoping it comes with firmware fixes for the misc. issues i'm still having with this tv (sharpness getting bumped when switching between sdr/hdr and local dimming not turning on sometimes with toggling it on and off) not to mention updating the dimming algorithm.
post #3742 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Good news, my set got delivered, it was double boxed and was well packed. I set it up and crossed my fingers and boom, a beautiful picture with no dead pixels, no clouding, no bad corners, no mysterious lines, and no green tint.

HDR channel on Youtube took my breathe away. Even my wife said WOW. I just hope it looks this good in the future.

Has anyone downloaded version 8.0?
post #3743 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good news, my set got delivered, it was double boxed and was well packed. I set it up and crossed my fingers and boom, a beautiful picture with no dead pixels, no clouding, no bad corners, no mysterious lines, and no green tint.

HDR channel on Youtube took my breathe away. Even my wife said WOW. I just hope it looks this good in the future.

Has anyone downloaded version 8.0?
What are the mysterious lines you mention?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3744 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
What are the mysterious lines you mention?
Some owners have reported having horizontal lines on their screens. Mine doesn't so far.
post #3745 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some owners have reported having horizontal lines on their screens. Mine doesn't so far.
I saw some random horizontal lines when watching Civil War on Netflix the other day when it panned upwards in sky. Was faint on could be scene shorty. I haven't seen it much other times.

Are these lines when viewing something or can be scene all the time?

post #3746 of 6343 Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
No, that 24hz mode is only for Roku players, not TVs. It specifically says that in the release notes on the Roku blog.

What's the difference? This TV is a Roku player. If I buy a Roku player and plug it into this TV, 24hz will suddenly work correctly? Have I completely missed understood what you were saying?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #3747 of 6343 Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Liked: 33
After a quick look at this thread, I take it the only difference between the 55P605 and 55P607 is that the TV's are the same and the one and only difference is that the 607 has the Roku remote and the 605 has a normal IR remote. I've checked the internet remote control sales companies I could find and they are out of the Roku remote. Has anyone ordered and received the Roku remote from TCL? From Roku? thx
post #3748 of 6343 Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeD View Post
i got mine saturday evening p605.. first thing i did was update then tried local dimming while in game mode and it works.. what is the version that you have on your tv? when i goto check update mine says
Software Version : 7:7:0
Build : 4154
After powering off the TV the local dimming was available and everything seems to be working fine. The only issue I am having is with ARC going to my pioneer sc-95. The ARC seems to work perfectly fine, controlling volume, menu sounds going through speakers, and TV turning the AVR on, but as soon as I stream an app I get no sound, Netlix, Vudu, Amazon, etc. I can get sound out through the optical when using these apps, but not with ARC. Anyone have any suggestions? I have turned on ARC and HDMI control on both devices, and the TCL changes my AVR to the TV input which is for ARC on that AVR.

I also saw someone mentioning that 24 Hz stutters. I do not notice that on my TV. I have watched a couple 1080p blu-rays, as well as a 4k hdr blu-ray and did not notice any stutter. I felt like I noticed more stutter watching some Netflix shows in HDR and DV at 60Hz, and was wondering if it was due to it being a stream.

I did notice a bit more noise or artifacts watching college basketball last night then I did with football, and was surprised how well football looked. But so far I haven't had many of the screen issues that have been reported. I have some slight darkness in the corners of my screen, but very slight and only noticeable on an all white screen.
post #3749 of 6343 Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Have you adjusted the HDMI ports from AUTO to 2.0 in Menu Settings and tested? If you are experiencing the same behavior with a Fire Stick and HDMI connected Blu-Ray player, that might be the issue. Easy adjustment to test out before you box it up for return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_a_c View Post
Sounds odd. I haven't encountered that. If you think it might be settings related, you can reset just the audio/video settings under system>settings>advanced system settings>factory reset.
Thanks for the ideas guys. Tried both, and no dice. Looks like I'll have to load it up and take it back for an exchange. That said, what I did see of this TV before this issue has me convinced it's a great value. What really sucks is I don't have any panel issues (brightness appeared even, color looked good (and still looks good on the OTA input), etc). I'm guessing it's a loose connection inside that's not passing through one of the color channels... thanks for the tips. =)

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #3750 of 6343 Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Got my TV on the wall and can already tell it's incredible.

I'm going through all the picture modes and trying to figure out what looks best.

For Dolby Vision HDR 10 which HDR setting do you use and which color temperature?

For normal viewing which mode do you use and what color temperature?

So many settings!

Hi There,

At this time I have not been able to try any DV or HDR content, but, have been watching a fair amount of bluray movies and HD sports. I'm a bit confused as the site like CNET and RTINGS both recommend "Movie" mode, but, my movie mode looks washed out. I have found much better luck with either normal or low power mode, believe it or not. Also, it seems like most of the recommendations I've read go with a warm color temperature. Still haven't gotten any consensus on the Gamma setting on the app. I'm just trying to at least keep a few settings consistent, otherwise, as you hinted at, without professional equipment the picture settings/combinations are endless.
Once you get your tv dialed in, would you mind sharing your various settings? I'm looking forward to getting past this stage and start enjoying this tv rather than obsessing about settings and whether I did ok in the panel lottery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page