*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4346Likes

post #3841 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I tried to update via USB but I don't think it lets you do it that way unless you reset your settings and don't initially connect to the internet so you force the TV to update via USB....unless I'm missing something?

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
I tried to update via USB but I don't think it lets you do it that way unless you reset your settings and don't initially connect to the internet so you force the TV to update via USB....unless I'm missing something?
You're right - you can't update via USB after the tv is activated. Have to reset unfortunately.
post #3843 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Ah well, guess I can wait. Don't really feel like having to input all my calibration settings again.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey again, thanks for the quick responses to my "concerns" about my new P605, knowing that most of my worries are just normal of the set itself definitely helped. I also wanted to post an update about the Xbox One X specifically. So Microsoft released the new update to fix the 4K UHD Blu-Ray issue people were complaining about and while some people are still having problems with their picture I can confirm that my P605 looks insane now. The update totally fixed the washed out colors while watching 4K UHD Blu-Ray and surprisingly it also fixed Netflix, I watched a couple movies tonight via Netflix and the blacks were nice and dark and there's no bleed into the black bars on the top or bottom. It looks amazing!! I'm still having the issue though were Netflix loads up in HDR and when I close Netflix and go back to the Xbox One X dashboard the blacks are CRUSHED. Turning the tv off and then back on fixes it though. Dunno what's up with that but it's annoying.

My TV --->>> TCL P605 / Software version 8.0.0 * build 4132-30 / LDM FW Ver: V8-ST10K02-LC1V004
My gaming system --->>> Xbox One X
post #3845 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For anyone who has played Assassin's Creed Origins on their XBOX ONE X, what did you set the HDR settings to? I'm at 1000 for luminance and I left paper white at 120.
post #3846 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu10Free View Post
Hey again, thanks for the quick responses to my "concerns" about my new P605, knowing that most of my worries are just normal of the set itself definitely helped. I also wanted to post an update about the Xbox One X specifically. So Microsoft released the new update to fix the 4K UHD Blu-Ray issue people were complaining about and while some people are still having problems with their picture I can confirm that my P605 looks insane now. The update totally fixed the washed out colors while watching 4K UHD Blu-Ray and surprisingly it also fixed Netflix, I watched a couple movies tonight via Netflix and the blacks were nice and dark and there's no bleed into the black bars on the top or bottom. It looks amazing!! I'm still having the issue though were Netflix loads up in HDR and when I close Netflix and go back to the Xbox One X dashboard the blacks are CRUSHED. Turning the tv off and then back on fixes it though. Dunno what's up with that but it's annoying.
You should be using the Netflix App built into the TV as it support Dolby Vision which Netflix uses heavily.
theboomr likes this.
post #3847 of 6477 Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
If anyone is using the ps Vue app on this tv and hasn’t gotten an automatic update, just go ahead and do the factory reset to force it. The updated ps Vue app is worth it even though you have to change picture settings again for your inputs. Just write your settings down and take the few minutes to re-enter them. The initial ps Vue app was ugly and difficult to find something specific, now there’s a guide and GUI consistent with this century.

I’m curious if any other apps were updated?
dharmaboy and JohngPR like this.
post #3848 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post
For anyone who has played Assassin's Creed Origins on their XBOX ONE X, what did you set the HDR settings to? I'm at 1000 for luminance and I left paper white at 120.
That's what I have set for my Sony and it's just a great looking game. Don't want to finish it as I'm just riding my camel around on a slow journey.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #3849 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post
So if you find the sun in the sky (actual game not the pic) it helped me calibrate this. At 800 the sun is bright with what I'd say normal glow... at 900 luminance the glow is very bright but you still can see the sun outline. At 1000 and beyond the sun becomes completely invisible due to the brightness glow. Because of this test I set mine at 900. I left paper balance at 120 - i know you can bump it up but then brightness of the game gets wonky. I think you benefit more having a lower base shade of white to give variance in the white color gammut
helvetica bold and JohngPR like this.
post #3850 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought p605 last week and had some discoloration and wondering if anyone has seen this or know what it may be. It's the purple around the NFL logo. When picture moves the purple moves around too. Sometimes it would create blobs on people's hands and faces on commercials too.

I was doing a stream so don't know if that affected it but the picture on macbook was fine but not on tv. Maybe it's my settings?

The past 3 days have been okay though. This was happening 5 days ago so maybe having the tv off helped?

Picture in link below.

post #3851 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Have anyone had Network issues with this TV?

I have it right next to my Router on a 5ghz line 150MB connection.

Just got the TV yesterday and used a Firestick with my old Plasma for 2 years without issues so it shouldnt be the router unless Roku handles randoms disconnects differently.

Basically was watching netflix and got booted to a Network connectivity error msg. Clicked ok and things worked again.

Now was just watching PS Vue, and randomly it went to "Loading" and I had to restart vue.
Hmm I have had no issues so far. Keep us posted though.
post #3852 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mplex18th View Post
You have to download the Roku app on your smartphone then connect it to your p605 through the same WiFi network and then you go to settings in the Roku app where you should see expert settings. That's where you find the white balance, gamma etc.
Thanks. I found where the expert settings were but I needed the regular settings/options. I realized I just had to click * when on HDMI 1 or 2, etc and it would pull up the settings on the right.
post #3853 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibs View Post
Just bought p605 last week and had some discoloration and wondering if anyone has seen this or know what it may be. It's the purple around the NFL logo. When picture moves the purple moves around too. Sometimes it would create blobs on people's hands and faces on commercials too.

I was doing a stream so don't know if that affected it but the picture on macbook was fine but not on tv. Maybe it's my settings?

The past 3 days have been okay though. This was happening 5 days ago so maybe having the tv off helped?

Picture in link below.

Sorry my link didn't work first time. See below please.

https://imgur.com/a/hvLjV

post #3854 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Liked: 1
Disable flashing light when no network is connected?

I want only a large flat panel, don't need the smart functions. However, whenever it's not connected to the internet, the LED on the bottom of the unit flashes whenever it's turned on. I can't get it to stop. Anyone had any luck here?

I've tried this things and they don't work:
--Reset network connection. I've tried this twice, it keeps flashing. More specifically: the light won't flash during startup, but will start flashing again within a few minutes after it's displaying video from an external source.

My temporary solution is electrical tape over the light, but that also blocks the remote from working. Anyone know how to kill that light?
post #3855 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
If anyone is using the ps Vue app on this tv and hasn’t gotten an automatic update, just go ahead and do the factory reset to force it. The updated ps Vue app is worth it even though you have to change picture settings again for your inputs. Just write your settings down and take the few minutes to re-enter them. The initial ps Vue app was ugly and difficult to find something specific, now there’s a guide and GUI consistent with this century.

I’m curious if any other apps were updated?
I thought about doing this and started getting my settings but then realized I'd have to re-input all of the credentials from my streaming apps. Considering I use a good amount of them, I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle. I did take pictures of all my settings in case I ever need to re-input them so I guess all of my effort wasn't for nothing.

I use PS Vue so at least I have a better UI to look forward to.
erhurd likes this.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #3856 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa legba View Post
I want only a large flat panel, don't need the smart functions. However, whenever it's not connected to the internet, the LED on the bottom of the unit flashes whenever it's turned on. I can't get it to stop. Anyone had any luck here?

I've tried this things and they don't work:
--Reset network connection. I've tried this twice, it keeps flashing. More specifically: the light won't flash during startup, but will start flashing again within a few minutes after it's displaying video from an external source.

My temporary solution is electrical tape over the light, but that also blocks the remote from working. Anyone know how to kill that light?
I would try two (2) options if you don't need smart features of set and don't intend to have it connected to the internet.

1. There is an option in menu system to disable the flashing light when TV is in standby mode. I don't know if this will also keep it OFF for internet connectivity status. You could try Disabling the Standby LED and see if that works. SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- STANDBY LED -- DISABLE

2. If Option 1 doesn't work, then you can do a factory RESET of the TV and set it up as a Non-Smart TV without Roku features. This should set it up as a Non-Smart TV and if you select CONNECT TO THE INTERNET LATER, then you should not have the blinking light indicating no internet connection. But, you also won't get any firmware updates via the internet. I guess you could periodically connect to the internet to check for updates and then RESET and disconnect again. Below is the TCL Support link on setting it up as a Non-Smart TV.
http://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku...s-a-regular-tv
papa legba likes this.
post #3857 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
It’s really annoying to do a factory reset in order to get the new update. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #3858 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I saw some random horizontal lines when watching Civil War on Netflix the other day when it panned upwards in sky. Was faint on could be scene shorty. I haven't seen it much other times.

Are these lines when viewing something or can be scene all the time?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mine has these ghost horizontal lines during vertical panning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
WOW! I have had my TCL 55P607 for 7 days now & overall this is the best set I have ever owned. I got my first HD television in 2003. It was a Sony 42 inch Direct view LcOS, 3-chip 720p (which Sony marketed as SXRD). I got it at Best Buy on Black Friday for approx 2400 bucks & I was so pleased with myself for haggling such a great bargain. If only I could have seen the future.
Hey man, thanks for posting your settings. When you have time and get a chance, would you try my settings and measure? I want to see the differences between your set and mine using same settings.

jyqureshi's settings. My calibration was done using NVIDIA shield set to YUV 12-bit 4:2:2 Rec.2020, but using Rec.709 patterns.
post #3859 of 6477 Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Option 2 did it.

I had already tried option 1, but forgot to mention it. It didn't work, but Option 2 did.

Something to take up with TCL firmware people: In an ideal world, I could connect to the internet periodically without a strobe light flashing whenever I pulled the cord. I think for that to happen, a lot of the unfounded romance around connected devices has to be burned out with bad news. As it is, I will decide whether it's a bigger pain to pull the electrical tape when I need to use the remote, or to do a factory reset to turn the flashing light off. I might look into visually-opaque-but-IR-transparent material to cover the thingwith.

Anyway, that's a quibble. Thanks again to Blade005 for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I would try two (2) options if you don't need smart features of set and don't intend to have it connected to the internet.

1. There is an option in menu system to disable the flashing light when TV is in standby mode. I don't know if this will also keep it OFF for internet connectivity status. You could try Disabling the Standby LED and see if that works. SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- STANDBY LED -- DISABLE

2. If Option 1 doesn't work, then you can do a factory RESET of the TV and set it up as a Non-Smart TV without Roku features. This should set it up as a Non-Smart TV and if you select CONNECT TO THE INTERNET LATER, then you should not have the blinking light indicating no internet connection. But, you also won't get any firmware updates via the internet. I guess you could periodically connect to the internet to check for updates and then RESET and disconnect again. Below is the TCL Support link on setting it up as a Non-Smart TV. -link omitted because newbies can't post links-
post #3860 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I just bought the 55P605 from Best Buy on Wednesday for my mom. The TV works great and every HDR demo I throw at it looks fantastic.

Question for everyone: My mom says there is a burning smell/odor coming from the back of tv. I can't/don't smell anything coming from the tv. She's thinking of having me return the tv because it's bothering her. She googled the issue and watched some guy on a Youtube video complaining about the odor on the 605. Does anyone have any odor or plastic burning smell coming from your 605/607?

Thanks for any replies.
post #3861 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm seriously considering buying this tv. I want to mainly use it for TV, netflix, and gaming. I currently own one of the last best-known panasonic plasma ST60 and it's still going strong, so I want to keep that in the mancave for home theater with surround until the price of OLED comes down some more. I would put the TCL P in the main living room for normal tv and netflix viewing with a 2.1 soundbar. If I only have the original ps4 with no plans or inclination to upgrade to a 4K/HDR console soon, is it worth gaming on this with the original ps4 without 4K/HDR? Is it worth purchasing this tv just to get into 4K/HDR via streaming apps and no other usage? My dilemma is that I would only make the most of this by watching 4K/HDR/DV on netflix and other streaming apps because I'm not interested in buying a new UHD bd player or xbox s.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #3862 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post
I just bought the 55P605 from Best Buy on Wednesday for my mom. The TV works great and every HDR demo I throw at it looks fantastic.

Question for everyone: My mom says there is a burning smell/odor coming from the back of tv. I can't/don't smell anything coming from the tv. She's thinking of having me return the tv because it's bothering her. She googled the issue and watched some guy on a Youtube video complaining about the odor on the 605. Does anyone have any odor or plastic burning smell coming from your 605/607?

Thanks for any replies.
My 605 had a smell for the first week or so. It wasn't a burning smell but more like new plastic getting warm. Others have mentioned it as well. If it doesn't smell like plastic is melting then it may go away within a week or so depending on usage.
post #3863 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticGrand View Post
It's pretty amazing that nobody has noticed this. If you use this as a PC monitor or sit anywhere near the 6 foot range, the pixel dimming you noticed which is also mentioned by RTINGS, completely destroys the usability of this TV. It can easily be spotted as purple artifacts/pixels when the TV is display dark grey (or vegetation in games) but on top of that everything has a checkerboard appearance.

I had to return mine for this reason. Thought the first was a dud and then the 2nd did the same. IMO it's a deal breaker as a PC monitor or someone who games in a smaller room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrokeit View Post
Saw this at the store, and the checkerboarding pixel pattern is NASTY.
Every other R G B pixel is dimmed.

Samsung and LG don't have this alternate-dimmed subpixel pattern that gives the picture a noisy appearance. Their pixels are lit evenly.

Both the P and S series 55" TV's have this nasty pixel lighting.

Is this checkerboard also visible when using as a PC monitor on your desk?

I'm also surprised no one really talks about this.. in the youtube videos I've watched, the screen door effect is very visible. Either, no one notices it from where they're sitting or are ignoring it.
post #3864 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroH View Post
I'm also surprised no one really talks about this.. in the youtube videos I've watched, the screen door effect is very visible. Either, no one notices it from where they're sitting or are ignoring it.
This bugged me big-time when inspecting the screens at stores, but it vanishes at about 4'-5' away. Can't complain.
post #3865 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa legba View Post
Anyone know how to kill that light?
Have you poked around in the Roku "secret" menus? There was a setting in one of the to control LED brightness. I imagine you could set it to 0.
papa legba likes this.
post #3866 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I'm seriously considering buying this tv. I want to mainly use it for TV, netflix, and gaming. I currently own one of the last best-known panasonic plasma ST60 and it's still going strong, so I want to keep that in the mancave for home theater with surround until the price of OLED comes down some more. I would put the TCL P in the main living room for normal tv and netflix viewing with a 2.1 soundbar. If I only have the original ps4 with no plans or inclination to upgrade to a 4K/HDR console soon, is it worth gaming on this with the original ps4 without 4K/HDR? Is it worth purchasing this tv just to get into 4K/HDR via streaming apps and no other usage? My dilemma is that I would only make the most of this by watching 4K/HDR/DV on netflix and other streaming apps because I'm not interested in buying a new UHD bd player or xbox s.

Absolutely worth it and I suspect after a couple of weeks of watching you will move the TCL to the man cave and put the panny in the main room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davehale and PeeJHooK like this.
post #3867 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroH View Post
So, watching football right now, and I have to go about a foot away to see any screen door effect. Back up to 2-3 feet and it isn't noticeable at all.

Possible if dimming isn't enabled that it could be more noticeable, but doesn't seem to be in normal operation.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
post #3868 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
Mine has these ghost horizontal lines during vertical panning

Hey man, thanks for posting your settings. When you have time and get a chance, would you try my settings and measure? I want to see the differences between your set and mine using same settings.

jyqureshi's settings. My calibration was done using NVIDIA shield set to YUV 12-bit 4:2:2 Rec.2020, but using Rec.709 patterns.
Giving the jyqureshi's settings a try...
post #3869 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone gotten good settings yet for hdr mode ? It looks vivid and colorful, but as soon as i fire up a game on my ps4 pro things look washed out...

I want to love this thing but so far it doesnt seem as colorful as my old toshiba 1080p tv.
post #3870 of 6477 Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Low profile, narrow stand options?

This TV's legs would be a little too wide for my current media center. I'm looking for a stand that maybe attaches to the vesa holes in the back so the tv sits on something more toward the center.

I'd also like the TV to sit as close to the top of the media center as possible, as it's already pretty tall. Meaning as little a gap as possible from the top of the shelf it sits on to the bottom of the TV.

Any suggestions/experience, owners?

Also about how far from the bottom of the TV is the lowest vesa hole?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page