*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4343Likes

post #3901 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroH View Post
That's good to hear. How's the motion for watching football? Heard there's a bit of jutter and block artifacts?

I watch using OTA HD and so far have had 0 issues with football. Non utter or artifacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I’ve had the set since July, and I’ve experimented with countless settings for hdr. I’ve come to this one for HDR gaming on the x1x and it looks beautiful.

HDR
https://i.imgur.com/IR6m4OI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xLrTBhG.jpg

Advanced settings in roku app - noise reduction off, i have to screen shot yet.

Some shots of ass creed 4k downsampled to 1080p.

dharmaboy likes this.
post #3903 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Also I’ve read the Xbox calibration tool has been borked for a long time while and a majority of users cannot see the eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yes I can't get the closed eye either on this set. I haven't tried on another set yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3905 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have calibrated the eye on 6 TV’s with no problem up until this one. Ranging from cheap LCD’s to expensive plasmas and expensive LCDs. So far this is the first set I couldn’t get to play nice. (I’ve never tried oled or any other set with fald though)

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #3906 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcojoe View Post
I’ve had the set since July, and I’ve experimented with countless settings for hdr. I’ve come to this one for HDR gaming on the x1x and it looks beautiful.

HDR

Similar to settings I ended up with for my XBOX X. Only difference is I like the Normal color better than Warm. For Warm has too much of a yellowish look to it. And my Color setting is a little higher.

Biggest difference for me ...compared to my normal calibration for everything else was elevating the Color. My normal Color setting for HDR movies, TV, etc is around 48. But for some reason on the X I had to go up to 65 for HDR games to look good to me.
post #3907 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
I watch using OTA HD and so far have had 0 issues with football. Non utter or artifacts.

Nice. Thanks!

Quote:

HDR

Those look amazing. What did you use to take the pic?
post #3908 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does the roku app have the ability to screen cap from the tv?
post #3909 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
I have calibrated the eye on 6 TV’s with no problem up until this one. Ranging from cheap LCD’s to expensive plasmas and expensive LCDs. So far this is the first set I couldn’t get to play nice. (I’ve never tried oled or any other set with fald though)

I think there’s something wrong with’s Roku HDMI Black range. I believe it’s a bug in the OS that might send a full range signal but in reality it’s not.
It’s been documented here:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=84653
It might effect all Roku products and that’s why I think the Xbox’s calibration eye test isn’t working correctly. Just my hypothesis!

crawlgsx likes this.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #3910 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I think there’s something wrong with’s Roku HDMI Black range. I believe it’s a bug in the OS that might send a full range signal but in reality it’s not.
It’s been documented here:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=84653
It might effect all Roku products and that’s why I think the Xbox’s calibration eye test isn’t working correctly. Just my hypothesis!

I hope that is not what is going on with these TVs and XBox X....since that report was 2+ years ago with no resolution.

But I am convinced there is some sorta mismatch between the HDMI RGB Levels of TV and X. Would be so much better if we just had a option to set it on the TV...like every other TV I have owned did/does.
helvetica bold and crawlgsx like this.
post #3911 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Useful information, but didn't help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teitoku View Post
Have you poked around in the Roku "secret" menus? There was a setting in one of the to control LED brightness. I imagine you could set it to 0.
I was not aware of those particular secrets. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything there that affects the LED flashing. Cranked the LED brightness to 0 with zero effect. I Also turned off "network pings" and that didn't do it.
post #3912 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Same. Watch football via an OTA Tivo connected to HDMI one. Looks great.
crawlgsx likes this.
post #3913 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:

HDR

Looks great, thanks for sharing.
post #3914 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:

HDR

Again, great pics. I don't game so I don't know, but reading through the posts, it seems like a lot of people have problems with the Xbox 1 X. You are not or have managed to get pasted those issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa legba View Post

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything there that affects the LED flashing. Cranked the LED brightness to 0 with zero effect. I Also turned off "network pings" and that didn't do it.
What is going on with your light? I changed the setting in the main menu where my white LED only blinks when I first turn the TV on or off or if I am using the remote.
mcholthaus likes this.
post #3915 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey, what secret menus and how do you access it?

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #3916 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I hope that is not what is going on with these TVs and XBox X....since that report was 2+ years ago with no resolution.

But I am convinced there is some sorta mismatch between the HDMI RGB Levels of TV and X. Would be so much better if we just had a option to set it on the TV...like every other TV I have owned did/does.

It’s puzzling for sure! In game brightness options (tomb raider, gears 4, etc) don’t illustrate any visible clipping issues so I don’t know what’s going on.

post #3917 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must be the only one dissatisfied with this set. I have let it run for 30 - 40 hours and it still looks horrible to me. The "Movie" setting looks like a filter is over my entire screen. The "Normal" setting clears that up, but my Whites are washed out and the colors are way too dark (settings based on my eyeballing it):

Local Contrast: High
Backlight: 60
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: +3
Color TempL Warm

I just received a Spears & Munsil disc and will try to calibrate it with that. If the image doesn't improve I will try to send it back to Amazon and maybe go with the Vizio M Series.

I don't do any gaming, just movie and sports watching.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dshreves; 11-20-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added content
post #3918 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshreves View Post
I must be the only one dissatisfied with this set. I have let it run for 30 - 40 hours and it still looks horrible to me. The "Movie" setting looks like a filter is over my entire screen. The "Normal" setting clears that up, but my Whites are washed out and the colors are way too dark (settings based on my eyeballing it):

Local Contrast: High
Backlight: 60
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: +3
Color TempL Warm

I just received a Spears & Munsil disc and will try to calibrate it with that. If the image doesn't improve I will try to send it back to Amazon and maybe go with the Vizio M Series.

I don't do any gaming, just movie and sports watching.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Try these along with the WB changes, and you need to use the Roku app to make the WB changes.

TV Brightness Bright
Picture Mode *Normal
Picture Size Auto
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction Off

Advanced Settings
=============
Local Contrast High
Backlight 42
Brightness 54
Contrast 75
Sharpness 28
Color 47
Tint 0
Color Temp Warm
Game mode Off

The TV brightness I adjust depending on the time of day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 1.55.34 PM.png
Views:	232
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	2318710  
Kilgore27 likes this.
post #3919 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 02:23 PM

The screens I posted were taken with the xbox’s Screen capture feature.

I only use the set for Ps4 pro, x1x, and the built in apps. I never use any of the consoles for Netflix, amazon, YouTube, just the built in apps on the roku app.

I have never seen broadcast tv on the set so i can’t comment on that, cord cutter here. What I can say is anything not in hdr or Dolby Vision has looked soft, such as hbo go which doesn’t broadcast in 4k, or showtime anytime which has no 4k as well.

The biggest problem I have had with the set is Dolby Vision being way to dark, which I switched to Dolby Vision bright but it still runs a tad too dark.

I knew going in though that the best pq and hdr was going to be found from dedicated games and uhd disks. Now that the 1x is in my hands I’m going to be getting a bunch of uhd disk to check out, but i know msoft had a problem with the 1x and uhd hdr at launch which is supposed to be patched as of this writing.

My opinion is Sdtv coming from a cable box is never going to look good unless the set has some insane processing tricks to make the picture look better, as it is cable companies just don’t have the bandwidth to beam in real 4k hdr broadcasts.
post #3920 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyduster69 View Post
I went ahead and did the factory reset over the weekend to pull in the new 8.0 update.

The biggest pain was having to log back in to all of the apps. I hadn't messed with changing the picture settings too much, so I didn't consider that an issue.

The main reason I wanted the update was to the see the PSVue app updated to match the UI of my PS4. The updated UI for the Vue on Roku runs very slowly to me and still lacks some of the features of the PS4 version (access guide with one button, add show with one button, multi-view, etc.)

I've come to conclusion I'm still going to use the PS4 to watch PSVue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping the update would make it on par with the PS4 Vue app, which IMO is great. I'll see for myself, but I was hoping I could avoid turning on my PS4 just to watch TV.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #3921 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Hey, what secret menus and how do you access it?

New accounts like mine can't publish web links, so you'll need to copy/paste this url: lifehacker.com/all-the-roku-secret-commands-and-menus-in-one-graphic-1779010902

These menus are secret for a reason. Some of the settings just won't work, some will mess up your TV so you need to do a factory reset on it.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #3922 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
What is going on with your light? I changed the setting in the main menu where my white LED only blinks when I first turn the TV on or off or if I am using the remote.
If you set it up as a dumb TV, not a problem. If you set it up as a smart TV and leave it connected to the Net all the time, not a problem.

However, I want to only connect to the internet occasionally, and pull the internet cable the rest of the time (I'm not a fan of superfluous internet connections in my house). If you set it up as a connected TV but deprive it of a connection, the LED at the bottom flashes whenever the set is turned on but it can't connect to the internet. Haven't found a fix.
post #3923 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Firmware updates go out in batches, so it will take time for everyone to get it.

I've ended up setting my 10% and 5% back to 0. While bumping them up looked good for Stranger Things, I learned that increasing the 5% even just 1 step on a subtle color channel was preventing the backlight from turning off in the letterbox bars. That was much more distracting for me than black crush.
post #3924 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Have had similar occasionally switching back forth between the apps, and my live TV which is an OTA Tivo connected to HDMA1. Does't happen all the time, but have seen it....I just turn the TV off then back on, all good.
You're just going to keep and deal with it and just turn off tv and turn back on when it happens?

Don't you feel this is inconvenient?
post #3925 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Yes. It comes with all sorts of screws. In general, it is a well made product and is remarkably stable even with just a 10cm width. I very much recommend it.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
Why did you use these legs/stand? Did you do it so you can place something on your entertainment center below the tv like a console? Or just because it original legs are too wide?
post #3926 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibs View Post
Why did you use these legs/stand? Did you do it so you can place something on your entertainment center below the tv like a console? Or just because it original legs are too wide?
The original legs were too wide. My previous TV was a Samsung with a pedistal stand. It sat on top of a custom made box that my center speaker sits in.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
post #3927 of 6472 Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Try these along with the WB changes, and you need to use the Roku app to make the WB changes.

TV Brightness Bright
Picture Mode *Normal
Picture Size Auto
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction Off

Advanced Settings
=============
Local Contrast High
Backlight 42
Brightness 54
Contrast 75
Sharpness 28
Color 47
Tint 0
Color Temp Warm
Game mode Off

Thanks! That did improve the picture a lot.

I would like to have a setting for "Normal" and one for "Movie" so I can compare the picture. If I make two different settings, the TV settings change automatically when I go from "Normal" to "Movie", but the Expert Settings on my phone do not. Is there a way I can store a two sets of settings for the same input? Or am I being too impatient and not giving my phone a chance to change?

Man, I have never worked so hard to get a good picture. I guess normally I just call Chad and have him come to Michigan! :-)

Thanks so much.
post #3928 of 6472 Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
If you set it up as a dumb TV, not a problem. If you set it up as a smart TV and leave it connected to the Net all the time, not a problem.

However, I want to only connect to the internet occasionally, and pull the internet cable the rest of the time (I'm not a fan of superfluous internet connections in my house). If you set it up as a connected TV but deprive it of a connection, the LED at the bottom flashes whenever the set is turned on but it can't connect to the internet. Haven't found a fix.
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibs View Post
You're just going to keep and deal with it and just turn off tv and turn back on when it happens?

Don't you feel this is inconvenient?
Honesty it has only happened a few times, haven't lost any sleep over it.
post #3929 of 6472 Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:

TV Brightness Bright
Picture Mode *Normal
Picture Size Auto
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction Off

Advanced Settings
=============
Local Contrast High
Backlight 42
Brightness 54
Contrast 75
Sharpness 28
Color 47
Tint 0
Color Temp Warm
Game mode Off

How did you come up with these settings? Just curious!

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #3930 of 6472 Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Lurking for a while on the P607. What's the consensus on BlackFriday? is there going to be any deals on this TV? I'm either going all-in cheap with the TCL or ballz-out on another OLED. This is primarily a secondary TV for gaming and sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page