*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #4351 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
I was upgraded to 8.0 automatically, but looking at the "secret" menu I am running 03 of the local dimming firmware. According to others it looks like 04 is the most current local dimming firmware....but I think it is kind of unknown if that 04 update is meant for general release since the only way to get it is going through the secret menu.
It’s a general release. I’m on 004 and it was installed during the 8.0 update when I bought it new a week ago.
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
It’s a general release. I’m on 004 and it was installed during the 8.0 update when I bought it new a week ago.

OK, thanks for the info, makes me feel better about upgrading to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theboomr likes this.
post #4353 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post
For people who are on 8.0 or doing the secret local dimming update: Did this fix the Netflix white/grey screen issue? It sometimes looks like a flash of white or grey but can also just be a pure white/grey screen for several seconds. I've noticed it mostly on Netflix Dolby Vision stuff.

Do we know if the 8.0 update installed the local dimming update as well? Or is the secret menu the only way to get the dimming update?
I am on the 8.0 update and initially the LD Firmware was shown as V003 via Secret Menu. I did the LD Firmware update to V004. The Netflix DV Grey screen and White screens thrown up in a few episodes near the end of Season 2 of Stranger Things are still present. I still think those issues are more about the mastering of the content than a hardware failure with the set.

My advice would be to leave the secret menus alone and just let the normal update process happen. I am already on 2nd build update on OS 8.0. They are releasing fixes along the way.
cwick and theboomr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
I was going to ask what’s the consensus on the local firmware 04 in the secret menu? Those who updated, it’s been successful with a few cases reported to mess things up? So there’s no harm just opening the menu to see what version I have, correct?

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #4355 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Broke down and did the factory reset over the weekend so I could get the 8.0 update.

The PS Vue app is much improved so now I have one less box plugged into the TV since my Fire TV was only being used for Vue.

Still having some problems with my XBOX One X and the TCL related to crushed blacks and frustration with no way to calibrate a baseline for HDR with the XBOX One X.

Even with SDR...the fact that the built in HDTV Calibration patterns (closed Eye) on the X do not work is bothering me.
helvetica bold and crawlgsx like this.
post #4356 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I was going to ask what’s the consensus on the local firmware 04 in the secret menu? Those who updated, it’s been successful with a few cases reported to mess things up? So there’s no harm just opening the menu to see what version I have, correct?

1. I updated via Secret Menu from LD Firmware version V003 to V004 and did not see any change and/or improvement. Based on content I watch, which is mostly streaming Roku app content of 1080p, 4K, 4K HDR and OTA, there isn't much difference. I didn't have or see issues that needed vast improvement from previous LD Firmware version.

2. Although I did not have any issues entering the Secret Menu and updating the LD firmware on my P605, there is always a risk of something going badly. As an example, I have a TCL Roku 32S301 set in my bedroom for light 720p viewing. I entered one of the Roku Secret Menus just to have a look around and did not make any adjustments or changes. When I left the Menu using the CANCEL item on the Secret Menu, I came back to a BLANK screen. Remote commands were being received by the set, but I could see nothing. When I powered off the unit using the Remote, I did see the overlay of the POWERING OFF icon in the Upper Right Corner. I powered the unit back on and came back to a Blank Screen. Figured I may have 'bricked' it, but didn't think unplugging AC power from back of the set could make it any worse. Unplugged, waited about 30 seconds, plugged it back in and powered on with the Roku remote and the TCL Roku home screen came back on. WHEW!! And that was with making no changes in one of the Secret Menus. My cautionary tale.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #4357 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Broke down and did the factory reset over the weekend so I could get the 8.0 update.

The PS Vue app is much improved so now I have one less box plugged into the TV since my Fire TV was only being used for Vue.

Still having some problems with my XBOX One X and the TCL related to crushed blacks and frustration with no way to calibrate a baseline for HDR with the XBOX One X.

Even with SDR...the fact that the built in HDTV Calibration patterns (closed Eye) on the X do not work is bothering me.
I don't think the XBOX calibration test is working properly...or at least not worth stressing over. If you hit the guide button with that page up you will suddenly see the eye appear on the image in the background. Either way, for all HDR content I bumped the brightness up to 54 and it seemed to fix the black crush on all the games I play on my X (except for Shadow of War which is insanely crushed/dark with HDR).
post #4358 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbofresh View Post
I don't think the XBOX calibration test is working properly...or at least not worth stressing over. If you hit the guide button with that page up you will suddenly see the eye appear on the image in the background. Either way, for all HDR content I bumped the brightness up to 54 and it seemed to fix the black crush on all the games I play on my X (except for Shadow of War which is insanely crushed/dark with HDR).
Yeah, I ended up increasing brightness as well.

I also found for HDR games, I had to bump up Color to 65 instead of the normal 48 I use for all other non-XBOX HDR apps/sources.
post #4359 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
my local firmware is V011. need to check to see if there's anything different in the string before that but there at least seems to be some variance as people are reporting V004
post #4360 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
my local firmware is V011. need to check to see if there's anything different in the string before that but there at least seems to be some variance as people are reporting V004
I'm also on V011. Perhaps TCL has different components among the panels -- thus two versions?

Biggest thing I was hoping for was a fix to the "white screen when there should be black" issue on Dolby Vision content. I've mentioned this a couple times already, but Season 2 Episode 2 of Stranger Things is the perfect example. In the beginning, immediately after the Netflix splash screen, there is a dramatic cut scene that should be black between segments but, instead, is completely white. I watched the same episode on my iPhone X (with Dolby Vision) and it displays correctly. Frankly... I don't even understand how that could happen... but it does.
post #4361 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGen View Post
I'm also on V011. Perhaps TCL has different components among the panels -- thus two versions?

Biggest thing I was hoping for was a fix to the "white screen when there should be black" issue on Dolby Vision content. I've mentioned this a couple times already, but Season 2 Episode 2 of Stranger Things is the perfect example. In the beginning, immediately after the Netflix splash screen, there is a dramatic cut scene that should be black between segments but, instead, is completely white. I watched the same episode on my iPhone X (with Dolby Vision) and it displays correctly. Frankly... I don't even understand how that could happen... but it does.
LDM FW Ver:ST10K02-LC1V004 is the full version that some are reporting. Those with V011 have reported a ST10K01 instead of K02.

I uppgraded from V003 to V004 and those dramatic white screens in Stranger Things, Season 2 are still there.
post #4362 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
LDM FW Ver:ST10K02-LC1V004 is the full version that some are reporting. Those with V011 have reported a ST10K01 instead of K02.

I uppgraded from V003 to V004 and those dramatic white screens in Stranger Things, Season 2 are still there.
Yeah i've noticed the same white screens on stranger things and also a dark grey screen at certain times in Mind Hunter. Seems Netflix specific as I don't recall any other video services doing the same. Maybe someone can test using the same content except with HDR10. (i.e. Netflix app on PS4 or Xbox) to see if its a dolby vision thing.
post #4363 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Yeah i've noticed the same white screens on stranger things and also a dark grey screen at certain times in Mind Hunter. Seems Netflix specific as I don't recall any other video services doing the same. Maybe someone can test using the same content except with HDR10. (i.e. Netflix app on PS4 or Xbox) to see if its a dolby vision thing.

I used the secret menu and rewatched on HDR10. That episode displays correctly. Also tested it on my iPhone X with DV — which displays it correctly. It’s an issue with this TV and Dolby Vision.

Last edited by JohnGen; 12-04-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #4364 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Liked: 95
I don't think the issue is the TV per se, there are reports of it happening on Tablets and Apple TVs. It's something to do with the way Netflix does DV content (i.e. a Netflix bug) while some TVs/devices probably handle it better than others, I wouldn't blame TCL entirely for this. Actually Netflix is pretty poor in terms of their App bug fixing, just look at the forced HDR mode on the X1S X1X that hasn't been fixed in over a year now.
post #4365 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:

I have watched quite a bit of Netflix DV, several series. The only white screens I got was in the last few episodes of Stranger Things 2.

post #4366 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 946
^^^ Agree. I have streamed hours of DV content from VUDU and it looks wonderful w/o white screens.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #4367 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
^^^ Agree. I have streamed hours of DV content from VUDU and it looks wonderful w/o white screens.

Rented Wonder Woman via the Vudu app not long after I got the set, loved the picture. Hoping for more 4K HDR rentals.

post #4368 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

yea I tweeted, showed pics and emailed them with no response. Frustrating for sure.
post #4369 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
I don't think the issue is the TV per se, there are reports of it happening on Tablets and Apple TVs. It's something to do with the way Netflix does DV content (i.e. a Netflix bug) while some TVs/devices probably handle it better than others, I wouldn't blame TCL entirely for this. Actually Netflix is pretty poor in terms of their App bug fixing, just look at the forced HDR mode on the X1S X1X that hasn't been fixed in over a year now.
ps4 netflix app has that issue too. it automatically triggers hdr10 the minute you start the app
post #4370 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have a Sony BRavia XR 55x850c as my 4K TV, It's been a good TV but I am thinking about moving it upstairs and getting the 55p607 to replace it as my main TV.

I love the Roku interface, to me it's perfect. My current Sony has an Android interface. While it has potential, it's been a nightmare.

My Sony is also edge lit and the 55p607 is backlit, I assume that would help produce a better image.

O need someone to convince me that I'm making the right choice lol.
post #4371 of 6367 Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gears Of War 4 has crushed blacks for me on the Xbox One X with HDR enabled. I've never experienced this with any HDR ps4 pro games. Anyone else having this issue? I'm also unable to see the closed eye or white sun with the xbox calibration tool, regardless of what I do. Pretty frustrating...
post #4372 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i HeaR MusiC View Post
Gears Of War 4 has crushed blacks for me on the Xbox One X with HDR enabled. I've never experienced this with any HDR ps4 pro games. Anyone else having this issue? I'm also unable to see the closed eye or white sun with the xbox calibration tool, regardless of what I do. Pretty frustrating...
Argh...I have an Xbox One S on the way. Hope I have better luck.
post #4373 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I was just thinking.
it would not surprise me to see an OLED model come out from TCL or Vizio in 2018. Or at least Fald in the larger sizes, then Oled for 2019.
Seems the big boys are getting squeezed tighter and tighter.
post #4374 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Yeah, I ended up increasing brightness as well.

I also found for HDR games, I had to bump up Color to 65 instead of the normal 48 I use for all other non-XBOX HDR apps/sources.
Ya I run 63 color and 47 brightness for AC Origins with dimming on high. Looks amazing
post #4375 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
ps4 netflix app has that issue too. it automatically triggers hdr10 the minute you start the app
Ya running netflix on either console blows
post #4376 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmitche1 View Post
I currently have a Sony BRavia XR 55x850c as my 4K TV, It's been a good TV but I am thinking about moving it upstairs and getting the 55p607 to replace it as my main TV.

I love the Roku interface, to me it's perfect. My current Sony has an Android interface. While it has potential, it's been a nightmare.

My Sony is also edge lit and the 55p607 is backlit, I assume that would help produce a better image.

O need someone to convince me that I'm making the right choice lol.

I replaced my Sony W900a w/ the 605. If you know anything about the W900a? It might be the greatest 1080p made according to HDTV Test UK AND I lOVED that TV However, I’m really happy with the 605. If you get one w/ a decent panel you won’t be disappointed after you watch some WCG, HDR content. It’s also one of the best panels for gaming. My plan is to keep the 605 for about a year and let 4K HDR tech mature. I’ll upgrade depending on what the landscape looks like. But for the money the P series w/ Dolby Vision can’t be beat!

post #4377 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn? At night I get crushed blacks. Haven’t tried
Gears 4 just yet, I just finished Tomb Raider which looked great. What do you have gamma set to? I think 2.2 is native for the P series.

post #4378 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am thinking about a 55P607 as an upgrade from a 49" 1080 TV, mainly to upgrade to 4k and to go with my Xbox One X. If you were considering this TV, would you buy now, or wait for the 2018 models?
post #4379 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn? At night I get crushed blacks. Haven’t tried
Gears 4 just yet, I just finished Tomb Raider which looked great. What do you have gamma set to? I think 2.2 is native for the P series.

Gears 4 looks awesome for me, but this is on the original Xbox One console. The improvement in picture quality coming from my Asus gaming monitor was night and day.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #4380 of 6367 Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does anyone have a cable clip wire organizer that came with their 605 or 607 that they don't want or use? When my original set was replaced, the techs did not bother removing it from my old set or have the decency of leaving me with the new one that came with the replacement.

I would be happy to buy one and send money via PayPal if anyone's so inclined to part with theirs. Unfortunately TCL customer service was of no help in this matter which doesn't make sense since they can sell everything else that comes in the box.

Attached is a photo from the quick start manual of the clip I'm referring to. If you can help me out, send me an email to amstel78 at gmail dot com.

Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page