*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4319Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4381 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I found this article to be very interesting :

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...120501203.html
elchingon702 likes this.
quovadis123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4382 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 1,795
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Yeah, I ended up increasing brightness as well.

I also found for HDR games, I had to bump up Color to 65 instead of the normal 48 I use for all other non-XBOX HDR apps/sources.
Curious, does HDR have a completely different set of settings from HDR? Like are you changing it from 65 to 48 each time you change what kind of content you're viewing?

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #4383 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So my 607 just froze. I'm on the main menu and can power the TV on and off but the arrow, home, voice keys do not work. The quick buttons work however,Netflix/Hulu/Starz

Any thoughts on doing a hard reset without having to set up my network and apps again?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ffactoryxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4384 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
cwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Firmware 8.0, is there a different build version out there than 4132? Think I saw someone mention they had already been upgraded past 4132.

Thanks
cwick is offline  
post #4385 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So what are current owners' thoughts on this so far?

I think i'm ready to pull the trigger to have this replace my beloved panasonic ST60 plasma as my home theater and gaming display. It just makes the most sense to have this hold me over until OLED prices come down and HDR content becomes more mainstream.

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #4386 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
So what are current owners' thoughts on this so far?

I think i'm ready to pull the trigger to have this replace my beloved panasonic ST60 plasma as my home theater and gaming display. It just makes the most sense to have this hold me over until OLED prices come down and HDR content becomes more mainstream.
Do it.

OLED is not mature right now, probably in 2021 once its usage is widespread. I'd get it once HDMI 2.1 is integrated or we start getting 12-bit panels.
patrck744 is offline  
post #4387 of 6355 Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Member
 
BadtheChadass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I've run into an issue when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro. The issue is when I set the game settings to 4k mode, there's a lot of, not sure of the right terminology, color separation. For example, the rain in the manor flashes shades of green and purple, but it really happens with anything in motion.

If I set it to either of the 1080 modes, no issues and correct colors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, before I upgraded tvs, I was running it on 4k mode on my old 1080 LG and it did not behave as such.

I've watched multiple sdr, hdr, and DV moves; as well as plenty of time on other "4k" ps4 games and have not seen the issue else whereturn.

Any ideas or remedies? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_191250_1512530127039.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	2326266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_191220_1512530145595.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	2326268  

Last edited by BadtheChadass; 12-05-2017 at 08:22 PM.
BadtheChadass is offline  
post #4388 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
crawlgsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadtheChadass View Post
Hey guys, I've run into an issue when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro. The issue is when I set the game settings to 4k mode, there's a lot of, not sure of the right terminology, color separation. For example, the rain in the manor flashes shades of green and purple, but it really happens with anything in motion.

If I set it to either of the 1080 modes, no issues and correct colors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, before I upgraded tvs, I was running it on 4k mode on my old 1080 LG and it did not behave as such.

I've watched multiple sdr, hdr, and DV moves; as well as plenty of time on other "4k" ps4 games and have not seen the issue else whereturn.

Any ideas or remedies? Thanks!


I get this every once and a while playing For Honor on Xbox One (did it with original Xbox as well as one x) but for me turning off the TV and back on makes it go away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
crawlgsx is offline  
post #4389 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
cwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
So what are current owners' thoughts on this so far?

I think i'm ready to pull the trigger to have this replace my beloved panasonic ST60 plasma as my home theater and gaming display. It just makes the most sense to have this hold me over until OLED prices come down and HDR content becomes more mainstream.
I think so, I replaced my 55VT60 it. And, unless OLED has 100% no chance of burn in I don't want one. I'll just upgrade the TCL to a higher end LED when the time comes.
PeeJHooK likes this.
cwick is offline  
post #4390 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Curious, does HDR have a completely different set of settings from HDR? Like are you changing it from 65 to 48 each time you change what kind of content you're viewing?
TV has different settings profile per mode per input... When receiving HDR content it will switch to one of the HDR Modes. That was part of the problem I was having since there was no way to generate any test patterns on the X that triggered HDR. HDR modes (Bright,Brighter,etc) are only activated when receiving HDR signals.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #4391 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jakejm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
So I reset to get the 8.0 update (the OTA guide is great BTW and I like that I can remove channels, just wish I could reorder them). Redid the calibration using both the AVS test videos and the X1S built in images. And I'm pretty sure the X1S calibration isn't accurate at all, like others have mentioned I couldn't see either the sun or the closed eye regardless of settings. And using my blue filter the color setting is way off from what it was using the AVS videos, actually to be doubly sure it wasn't some difference between the inputs (streaming the images from a USB stick vs. HDMI of the X1S) I dug out the AVS videos on BR and popped it in the X1S, came up with the same settings as with the USB stick (and was able to see Black 17 and White 235 flash, what I assume are the same has the eye and sun). I did notice a big difference in the sharpness test, the X1S seems to do a much better job upscaling to 4K than the TV.

FWIW my settings using the AVS videos and a blue filter were just about on par with what I have seen here, meanwhile using the X1S calibration it was quite a bit off on color and tint. So personally I'd completely ignore the X1 calibration and use proper test images.
helvetica bold likes this.
jakejm79 is offline  
post #4392 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
TCL 49s405. I know it's not a p607 but the price was right at one hundred and seventy five new in the box.

When I view HDR demo videos on YouTube the 4k is perfect and the HDR colors are gorgeous and bright. I've viewed 15 or 20 videos and all are excellent. I also have an Xbox One S. When I play the Planet Earth II dvd (4k/HDR) again the colors and resolution are fantastic.

When I view HDR content on Amazon and Netflix the colors are almost totally washed out and the resolution doesn't even look like 4k to me. The screen is also much darker than with YouTube/Blu Ray. I do get the HDR popup logo, so have to assume I am getting an HDR feed. I paid the extra charge on Netflix for 4k/HDR.

I've left the default settings except for experimenting with Dark/Normal/Bright HDR. Default is Gamma 2.2, Noise Reduction Off and Normal color temp. I played around with changes to the white balance and color space (using Rtings suggestions) but those didn't seem to make any difference with Amazon/Netflix. Lowering the gamma to 1.8 brightened the screen a bit but colors were still washed out.

What baffles me is how fantastic the colors/brightness look on 4k/HDR videos on YouTube and Blu Ray dvds and how bad the content looks on Amazon/Netflix. I've tried both wireless and wired feeds to the tv but there's no difference in quality. I've watched the Roku apps for Amazon/Netflix on the tv and the apps on my Xbox One S. No difference.

What am I missing here where YouTube is so great and all else is crap? Is anyone experiencing the same with p607? FWIW the upscaling is fine on SDR and looks really good.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
Bob Coxner is offline  
post #4393 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
amstel78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Does anyone have a cable clip wire organizer that came with their 605 or 607 that they don't want or use? When my original set was replaced, the techs did not bother removing it from my old set or have the decency of leaving me with the new one that came with the replacement.

I would be happy to buy one and send money via PayPal if anyone's so inclined to part with theirs. Unfortunately TCL customer service was of no help in this matter which doesn't make sense since they can sell everything else that comes in the box.

Attached is a photo from the quick start manual of the clip I'm referring to. If you can help me out, send me an email to amstel78 at gmail dot com.

Thank you!


Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Anyone?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
amstel78 is offline  
post #4394 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Ive been playing Destiny 2 on the TCL and I could be crazy but it seems like the picture was overall brighter in SDR than HDR. Now that Destiny 2 supports HDR it doesnt look dramatically different.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #4395 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Member
 
whizkid39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No feeds on NHL TV last nite on my roku.NHL tells me to "Force Close." How do I do that? Thanx.

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
Westy,WD48FB100
Polk Signa
4 Vizios,2 RCA,2 Sony, 2 Toshiba,1Panasonic,2 Samsung-Gone.
whizkid39 is offline  
post #4396 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
cwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
TCL 49s405. I know it's not a p607 but the price was right at one hundred and seventy five new in the box.



When I view HDR demo videos on YouTube the 4k is perfect and the HDR colors are gorgeous and bright. I've viewed 15 or 20 videos and all are excellent. I also have an Xbox One S. When I play the Planet Earth II dvd (4k/HDR) again the colors and resolution are fantastic.



When I view HDR content on Amazon and Netflix the colors are almost totally washed out and the resolution doesn't even look like 4k to me. The screen is also much darker than with YouTube/Blu Ray. I do get the HDR popup logo, so have to assume I am getting an HDR feed. I paid the extra charge on Netflix for 4k/HDR.



I've left the default settings except for experimenting with Dark/Normal/Bright HDR. Default is Gamma 2.2, Noise Reduction Off and Normal color temp. I played around with changes to the white balance and color space (using Rtings suggestions) but those didn't seem to make any difference with Amazon/Netflix. Lowering the gamma to 1.8 brightened the screen a bit but colors were still washed out.



What baffles me is how fantastic the colors/brightness look on 4k/HDR videos on YouTube and Blu Ray dvds and how bad the content looks on Amazon/Netflix. I've tried both wireless and wired feeds to the tv but there's no difference in quality. I've watched the Roku apps for Amazon/Netflix on the tv and the apps on my Xbox One S. No difference.



What am I missing here where YouTube is so great and all else is crap? Is anyone experiencing the same with p607? FWIW the upscaling is fine on SDR and looks really good.


If anything my Netflix DV streams a tad dark in spots but certainly not washed out. No issues with my HDR Amazon content.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cwick is offline  
post #4397 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
So I reset to get the 8.0 update (the OTA guide is great BTW and I like that I can remove channels, just wish I could reorder them). Redid the calibration using both the AVS test videos and the X1S built in images. And I'm pretty sure the X1S calibration isn't accurate at all, like others have mentioned I couldn't see either the sun or the closed eye regardless of settings. And using my blue filter the color setting is way off from what it was using the AVS videos, actually to be doubly sure it wasn't some difference between the inputs (streaming the images from a USB stick vs. HDMI of the X1S) I dug out the AVS videos on BR and popped it in the X1S, came up with the same settings as with the USB stick (and was able to see Black 17 and White 235 flash, what I assume are the same has the eye and sun). I did notice a big difference in the sharpness test, the X1S seems to do a much better job upscaling to 4K than the TV.

FWIW my settings using the AVS videos and a blue filter were just about on par with what I have seen here, meanwhile using the X1S calibration it was quite a bit off on color and tint. So personally I'd completely ignore the X1 calibration and use proper test images.
Do you have test images for brightness/contrast usable on the XBOX that are encoded with HDR so that the TVs HDR mode is triggered?

This TCL is my first time with 4k and HDR so I am still in the learning process. My understanding is that doing traditional color/tint adjustments with blue filter does not work with HDR? Curious how everyone is calibrating their color/tint settings for the HDR modes....for now I have just used the XBOX One's INsect demo thing and made adjustments until it "looks good".

Last edited by RafaelSmith; 12-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #4398 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Tmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
TCL 49s405. I know it's not a p607 but the price was right at one hundred and seventy five new in the box.



When I view HDR demo videos on YouTube the 4k is perfect and the HDR colors are gorgeous and bright. I've viewed 15 or 20 videos and all are excellent. I also have an Xbox One S. When I play the Planet Earth II dvd (4k/HDR) again the colors and resolution are fantastic.



When I view HDR content on Amazon and Netflix the colors are almost totally washed out and the resolution doesn't even look like 4k to me. The screen is also much darker than with YouTube/Blu Ray. I do get the HDR popup logo, so have to assume I am getting an HDR feed. I paid the extra charge on Netflix for 4k/HDR.



I've left the default settings except for experimenting with Dark/Normal/Bright HDR. Default is Gamma 2.2, Noise Reduction Off and Normal color temp. I played around with changes to the white balance and color space (using Rtings suggestions) but those didn't seem to make any difference with Amazon/Netflix. Lowering the gamma to 1.8 brightened the screen a bit but colors were still washed out.



What baffles me is how fantastic the colors/brightness look on 4k/HDR videos on YouTube and Blu Ray dvds and how bad the content looks on Amazon/Netflix. I've tried both wireless and wired feeds to the tv but there's no difference in quality. I've watched the Roku apps for Amazon/Netflix on the tv and the apps on my Xbox One S. No difference.



What am I missing here where YouTube is so great and all else is crap? Is anyone experiencing the same with p607? FWIW the upscaling is fine on SDR and looks really good.


I am not sure about Amazon but I know Netflix HDR is primarily delivered as Dolby Vision not HDR10. Since the TCL S series does not have Dolby Vision support only HDR10 support you are probably seeing a modified version of the content that Netflix remasters to work with HDR10 only sets. The only ones on this forum who will be able to help you get better Netflix PQ will be those who have turned off Dolby Vision support on their P series TV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmein is offline  
post #4399 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Anyone?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
did you try contacting tcl support? thinking that they'd just send something like that to you for free.
henhowc is offline  
post #4400 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jakejm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Do you have test images for brightness/contrast usable on the XBOX that are encoded with HDR so that the TVs HDR mode is triggered?

This TCL is my first time with 4k and HDR so I am still in the learning process. My understanding is that doing traditional color/tint adjustments with blue filter does not work with HDR? Curious how everyone is calibrating their color/tint settings for the HDR modes....for now I have just used the XBOX One's INsect demo thing and made adjustments until it "looks good".
I just calibrated for SDR, I leave HDR at the HDR normal default settings (other than tweaking sharpness) since I don't have any HDR test images/videos.
jakejm79 is offline  
post #4401 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
garnettrules21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I posted this in the HCFR thread but figured I'd post it here as well and see if anyone else has done it with HCFR or the X-Rite.

Well, soon I'm going to make my first attempt at calibrating my tv. I just bought the X-Rite i1Display Pro EODIS3. I have a TCL P607. I'm going into this pretty blind. I know I'll need to use HCFR for the calibration software. I have the Disney WoW calibration disk, will that work for the grayscale/gamma/white balance? Is Curtplame's tutorial still relevant or is it out dated? Is there a newer video or written tutorial? Anything I should be aware of before I go in? Excited!
garnettrules21 is offline  
post #4402 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I just pulled the trigger on this tv and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Which settings other than cnet and rtings should I take a look at?

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #4403 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I posted this in the HCFR thread but figured I'd post it here as well and see if anyone else has done it with HCFR or the X-Rite.

Well, soon I'm going to make my first attempt at calibrating my tv. I just bought the X-Rite i1Display Pro EODIS3. I have a TCL P607. I'm going into this pretty blind. I know I'll need to use HCFR for the calibration software. I have the Disney WoW calibration disk, will that work for the grayscale/gamma/white balance? Is Curtplame's tutorial still relevant or is it out dated? Is there a newer video or written tutorial? Anything I should be aware of before I go in? Excited!

Someone started the thread below. Maybe good to post there too.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...p607-hcfr.html
Pres2play is offline  
post #4404 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmein View Post
I am not sure about Amazon but I know Netflix HDR is primarily delivered as Dolby Vision not HDR10. Since the TCL S series does not have Dolby Vision support only HDR10 support you are probably seeing a modified version of the content that Netflix remasters to work with HDR10 only sets. The only ones on this forum who will be able to help you get better Netflix PQ will be those who have turned off Dolby Vision support on their P series TV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may well explain Netflix. Amazon remains a mystery.

Another item that I failed to mention earlier is with Hulu. Hulu support says that you can only view 4K with the Hulu app on an Xbox One S or PS4 Pro. Some of the newer Hulu Originals are supposed to be in 4K but I can't seem to find any that give me the UHD popup logo when I'm viewing with my Xbox One S. Has anyone else managed to get it on Hulu or does it not give a popup logo?

https://helpsurvey.hulu.com/articles/57083698

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
Bob Coxner is offline  
post #4405 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
jakejm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
That may well explain Netflix. Amazon remains a mystery.

Another item that I failed to mention earlier is with Hulu. Hulu support says that you can only view 4K with the Hulu app on an Xbox One S or PS4 Pro. Some of the newer Hulu Originals are supposed to be in 4K but I can't seem to find any that give me the UHD popup logo when I'm viewing with my Xbox One S. Has anyone else managed to get it on Hulu or does it not give a popup logo?

https://helpsurvey.hulu.com/articles/57083698
I don't think Hulu offers HDR content, just 4K, so you wont get any notification (and I don't think that any of the Hulu apps have 'stats for nerds' or the like to show actual resolution being played back. Much the same way that season 1 of Stranger Things is 4K but you don't get any notification since its not HDR.
jakejm79 is offline  
post #4406 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I just pulled the trigger on this tv and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Which settings other than cnet and rtings should I take a look at?


Those are the main two that you should reference. However Home theater review gives some good advice but not specific numbers.
https://hometheaterreview.com/tcl-55...d-tv-reviewed/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeeJHooK likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #4407 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
amstel78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
did you try contacting tcl support? thinking that they'd just send something like that to you for free.
I did. Twice actually. Because my set was replaced by one of their authorized techs in NYC, they first told me to call the tech and ask for it back. That was two weeks ago. Called the tech anyway, left a message, and no reply.

So I called back and told them I wasn't happy that I had to deal with a lousy tech company that doesn't return calls. I also told them that it doesn't make sense that they can sell me other accessories but not the stupid wire organizer clip. So the lady said she'll email the tech company again, but if not, will email their tech support team to see if they can get me a replacement.

Not holding my breath.

So, if anyone's got one they don't plan on using, I'm happy to pay a few bucks plus shipping.
amstel78 is offline  
post #4408 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
So my 607 just froze. I'm on the main menu and can power the TV on and off but the arrow, home, voice keys do not work. The quick buttons work however,Netflix/Hulu/Starz

Any thoughts on doing a hard reset without having to set up my network and apps again?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Are you sure the remote isn't just acting up? I've had mine act up sometimes where the wifi aspect of it doesn't work and I have to point it directly at the TV to get it to register button presses. I've also had it where one of the buttons will be stuck as if it is being pressed (usually down arrow in my case) even though I'm not touching the remote. Usually I can resolve this by turning the TV off and on again.
submatrix is offline  
post #4409 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Member
 
9646gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadtheChadass View Post
Hey guys, I've run into an issue when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro. The issue is when I set the game settings to 4k mode, there's a lot of, not sure of the right terminology, color separation. For example, the rain in the manor flashes shades of green and purple, but it really happens with anything in motion.

If I set it to either of the 1080 modes, no issues and correct colors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, before I upgraded tvs, I was running it on 4k mode on my old 1080 LG and it did not behave as such.

I've watched multiple sdr, hdr, and DV moves; as well as plenty of time on other "4k" ps4 games and have not seen the issue else whereturn.

Any ideas or remedies? Thanks!
Head to monoprice.com and get you a certified HDMI cable. I am thinking it is a problem with cable bandwidth (the 18gbps needed for 4k HDR) and handshake. I had issues with HDR not working correctly with both my PS4 PRO and X1X cables that came in the box. Possibly dues to length since I am running through a HDMI switch as well. Planning to get a HDMI 2.0 signal booster from Amazon. They have great reviews.
9646gt is offline  
post #4410 of 6355 Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lovswr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Riverview, FL
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Anyone else with a meter, please post images of spectral footprint. I'm curious to know what NBP phosphor technology is all about. According to reviews, TCL uses Quantum Dots tecnology in China, but not here. How do the new TVs reach these wide color spaces with present LED-phosphor backlights??? AIU, the narrow bands shown in the chart are key.


Pres, what program are you using? I have CalMan Home Enthusiasts, but have never seen any graph like you have pictured.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
lovswr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off