*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4319Likes

post #4411 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I've been researching the crap out of budget 4K tv's for when my tax returns come in and it definitely looks like this will meet my gaming needs beautifully but I do have a question about some picture issues I've heard about. Even though I doubt I would use it much outside of netflix and gaming, I may one day get cable or other streaming services for things like football and baseball which I enjoy but I've heard that for football especially there is a really bad juttery look to it when the camera is zoomed way out and looks quite bad. I've only seen a couple of video clips of people filming football games and they look fine to me. Does anyone have anything definitive about how games look on the tv? Pictures and/or video clips or links would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Red Eagle View Post
So I've been researching the crap out of budget 4K tv's for when my tax returns come in and it definitely looks like this will meet my gaming needs beautifully but I do have a question about some picture issues I've heard about. Even though I doubt I would use it much outside of netflix and gaming, I may one day get cable or other streaming services for things like football and baseball which I enjoy but I've heard that for football especially there is a really bad juttery look to it when the camera is zoomed way out and looks quite bad. I've only seen a couple of video clips of people filming football games and they look fine to me. Does anyone have anything definitive about how games look on the tv? Pictures and/or video clips or links would be appreciated.
The P605/P607 is just barebones when it comes to picture processing, which is excellent for gaming. With that said, if anyone thinks it is "juttery" they must be used to a television with motion interpolation. The TCL P series shows content exactly how it is, no special scaling or effects added. Because of this, a 720p or 1080i compressed cable picture is going to look bad. If content looks bad on the P series it is not the television, its the content itself.
post #4413 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
The P605/P607 is just barebones when it comes to picture processing, which is excellent for gaming. With that said, if anyone thinks it is "juttery" they must be used to a television with motion interpolation. The TCL P series shows content exactly how it is, no special scaling or effects added. Because of this, a 720p or 1080i compressed cable picture is going to look bad. If content looks bad on the P series it is not the television, its the content itself.
Okay, thanks for the reply. Okay, that's what I was thinking the problem was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Agreed, also don't forget that watching sports (or live TV in general) from a lot of the streaming apps either are not in the native resolution or refresh rate or at the very list are de-interlaced prior to the TV. Anyone that thinks live TV is poor on this set needs to hook up an antenna to it, sports (or any TV for that matter) look great. Also throw a 16GB flash drive in there and enjoy timeshifting and you get a proper grid guide all for free.
post #4415 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Question about HDMI CEC with these TVs.

I have my XBOX One X connected directly into the TV (HDMI 2) w/ CEC enabled.

For the most part it works, however when I turn on the XBOX ....it turns on the TV like it should but doesn't switch the TV to HDMI 2. The TV i used to have...a Vizio would switch to the input for whichever CEC connected device was turned on.
post #4416 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

For the most part it works, however when I turn on the XBOX ....it turns on the TV like it should but doesn't switch the TV to HDMI 2. The TV i used to have...a Vizio would switch to the input for whichever CEC connected device was turned on.
A work around that might work would be to go into the power setting and set it to switch to HDMI 2 when turned on.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #4417 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
Agreed, also don't forget that watching sports (or live TV in general) from a lot of the streaming apps either are not in the native resolution or refresh rate or at the very list are de-interlaced prior to the TV. Anyone that thinks live TV is poor on this set needs to hook up an antenna to it, sports (or any TV for that matter) look great. Also throw a 16GB flash drive in there and enjoy timeshifting and you get a proper grid guide all for free.
So if all i'm planning to do is to hook this up via OTA antenna for HD broadcasts, then I won't notice it? I'm coming from a plasma so this was my main concern. I'm also planning to get Tivo roamio OTA eventually.

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #4418 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I posted this in the HCFR thread but figured I'd post it here as well and see if anyone else has done it with HCFR or the X-Rite.

Well, soon I'm going to make my first attempt at calibrating my tv. I just bought the X-Rite i1Display Pro EODIS3. I have a TCL P607. I'm going into this pretty blind. I know I'll need to use HCFR for the calibration software. I have the Disney WoW calibration disk, will that work for the grayscale/gamma/white balance? Is Curtplame's tutorial still relevant or is it out dated? Is there a newer video or written tutorial? Anything I should be aware of before I go in? Excited!

Please share your calibrations when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4419 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
So if all i'm planning to do is to hook this up via OTA antenna for HD broadcasts, then I won't notice it? I'm coming from a plasma so this was my main concern. I'm also planning to get Tivo roamio OTA eventually.
Using the Tivo Roamio OTA here, works and looks great.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4420 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Xbox doesn't support CEC actually. The One S and One X have an IR blaster built in, so when you set it up for your TV it is using that to turn it on, not CEC. One of the most disappointing things about Xbox, imo.
post #4421 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Xbox doesn't support CEC actually. The One S and One X have an IR blaster built in, so when you set it up for your TV it is using that to turn it on, not CEC. One of the most disappointing things about Xbox, imo.
Ah...makes sense.

Is there a way to have XBOX issue additional IR commands to TV beyond power on/off?
post #4422 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Ah...makes sense.

Is there a way to have XBOX issue additional IR commands to TV beyond power on/off?
Just volume controls, pretty much. And volume is only available if you're using the Xbox media remote or the Xbox mobile app, or Kinect/Cortana voice commands.

Personally, I've resorted to the method that @bguzman suggested; I used the TV settings to make it always go to the Xbox's HDMI input when powering on. The only other things I use the TV for are streaming apps and OTA TV, which require me to navigate the home screen menu anyway, so it's fine to have 1 extra step of pressing the home button first when doing those activities, whereas if I want to play Xbox, I can just power everything on by turning on my controller and the TV is already on the correct input.
post #4423 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I dont watch OTA broadcasts but I am sure it will look excellent on the TCL P series. I have an LG C7 OLED, TCL P series, and a few Panasonic last gen plasmas. The TCL P series is my favorite during the day time because it is the brightest, has the same color as the OLED, and the blacks are excellent. It really is an excellent television. If you want you can get a 4k upscaler, there are some very nice scalers that will more than makeup for the TCL's lack of upscaling performance.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4424 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I dont watch OTA broadcasts but I am sure it will look excellent on the TCL P series. I have an LG C7 OLED, TCL P series, and a few Panasonic last gen plasmas. The TCL P series is my favorite during the day time because it is the brightest, has the same color as the OLED, and the blacks are excellent. It really is an excellent television. If you want you can get a 4k upscaler, there are some very nice scalers that will more than makeup for the TCL's lack of upscaling performance.
My first time hearing about 4k upscalers other than BD players. Any link(s) you can refer me to?

post #4425 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Just volume controls, pretty much. And volume is only available if you're using the Xbox media remote or the Xbox mobile app, or Kinect/Cortana voice commands.

Personally, I've resorted to the method that @bguzman suggested; I used the TV settings to make it always go to the Xbox's HDMI input when powering on. The only other things I use the TV for are streaming apps and OTA TV, which require me to navigate the home screen menu anyway, so it's fine to have 1 extra step of pressing the home button first when doing those activities, whereas if I want to play Xbox, I can just power everything on by turning on my controller and the TV is already on the correct input.
Thanks, I only have one other HDMi device which I rarely use...Tivo Mini....so this is probably best approach for me as well.

I had tried using a Harmony 650 remote BUT....my soundbar/receiver forces CEC if you want to use ARC....which I need to use for sound.........that was causing all sorta of conflicts when trying to turn on devices and setting inputs....usually resulting in the TV ending up at home screen and avr on ARC/input regardless of what I had Harmony activity trying to do.

If I had had forethought back when I ran cabling thru wall for this TV i would have run a optical and skipped the whole HDMI ARC/CEC crap.. Hate it...always have...always will.
post #4426 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My first time hearing about 4k upscalers other than BD players. Any link(s) you can refer me to?
There are many different options. Many 4k AV receivers have great upscaling capabilities, Anthem makes some high end upscaling receivers. Then on the super high end you have something like this: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_details Even HDFury makes some good products. You can check out their site here: https://www.hdfury.com/

For a cheaper solution I would just find a decent AVR with upscaling capabilities. My old Pioneer VSX AVR has a 480i/p to 1080p upscaler and it looks amazing when compared to the non-upscaled version.
post #4427 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are many different options. Many 4k AV receivers have great upscaling capabilities, Anthem makes some high end upscaling receivers. Then on the super high end you have something like this: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_details Even HDFury makes some good products. You can check out their site here: https://www.hdfury.com/

For a cheaper solution I would just find a decent AVR with upscaling capabilities. My old Pioneer VSX AVR has a 480i/p to 1080p upscaler and it looks amazing when compared to the non-upscaled version.
Thanks, I actually have a Pioneer VSX-1121 i'll be using this with. I didn't think about that as an upscaler.

post #4428 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Soundbar not being detected, please help!
I just upgraded to a TCL 55P607 TV, Yamaha YAS 207, and LG UP840 4K Player. I also got the Samsung HD Cable box from Optimum. I haven't connected the LG yet.

The audio from each source works. The Bluetooth from the 207 works. They're multiple audio issues together that I'm having tho. First, when I do a CEC Discover from the menu it says "No devices found."

HDMI 1 has the cable box connected.
HDMI 2 has the PS3 connected (hasn't been setup yet, only off in standby mode)
HDMI 3 (Arc) has the Soundbar connected.
Also connected to the Optical and RCA ports is an older DVD player which will be disconnected for a the LG.

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong and guide me through the right TV settings and setup? Please!

Also, something weird happened between last night and today. The cable box stopped producing sound to the TV out of nowhere.

Thanks in advance!
post #4429 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Does anyone know if the Vizio 39" sound barr for 100 bucks works with the P-series tv? If not, what are my best sub 100 dollar options?
post #4430 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Vizio 39" sound barr for 100 bucks works with the P-series tv? If not, what are my best sub 100 dollar options?
Work with it in what way? As long as it's connected by at least an optical cable, then the sound will play from the tv to the soundbar.
theboomr likes this.

post #4431 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Work with it in what way? As long as it's connected by at least an optical cable, then the sound will play from the tv to the soundbar.
Just compatible. I've heard that occasionally that certain bars don't work well with certain tvs. Just wanted to make sure no one had had any problems.
post #4432 of 6355 Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4702 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just compatible. I've heard that occasionally that certain bars don't work well with certain tvs. Just wanted to make sure no one had had any problems.
I'm going to recommend not going with a soundbar, especially one as cheap as that model.

If you want something better than the built-in tin cans, even a budget receiver and a couple of Sony Core bookshelfs when on sale would be miles better feature and sound-wise. Just save up and wait.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #4433 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Alright, finally got this set delivered and just fired her up. I went directly to watching Stranger Things S2 for Dolby Vision reference. I used the settings from rtings. However, I'm not noticing enough shadow detail, so i'm wondering how I can adjust the settings to improve that. For instance when El is wearing a black coat in ep 7, I cannot see where the seams and wrinkles are on her coat.

Any suggestions? Do I need to go into the expert picture settings for that?

post #4434 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Alright, finally got this set delivered and just fired her up. I went directly to watching Stranger Things S2 for Dolby Vision reference. I used the settings from rtings. However, I'm not noticing enough shadow detail, so i'm wondering how I can adjust the settings to improve that. For instance when El is wearing a black coat in ep 7, I cannot see where the seams and wrinkles are on her coat.

Any suggestions? Do I need to go into the expert picture settings for that?
Adjusting the gama using the Roku smartphone app may help. Mind Hunter on Netflix was also dark, a common complaint of the DV Netflix content. When you apply the rtings settings, the WB adjustments make sure you apply them to the color temperature that Netflix DV is using. I forget if they use warm or normal...whatever it is, I am not in front of the set at the moment.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4435 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 AM

BTW

Recently received a Xbox One S and started playing COD WW2. I haven't gamed in years so I am terrible...lol but the picture looks great!!
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #4436 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Ive been playing Destiny 2 on the TCL and I could be crazy but it seems like the picture was overall brighter in SDR than HDR. Now that Destiny 2 supports HDR it doesnt look dramatically different.

Mine is darker but the colors really pop now. Looks good, especially the water
post #4437 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood12 View Post
I am thinking about a 55P607 as an upgrade from a 49" 1080 TV, mainly to upgrade to 4k and to go with my Xbox One X. If you were considering this TV, would you buy now, or wait for the 2018 models?
Any input on this?
post #4438 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood12 View Post
Any input on this?

For $600 (P605), I would buy this set now.

post #4439 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 85
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

Honestly there is no sound option on the market that is going to be a step down from the P series built in speakers. Great TV I love it but the speakers are crap .

LG has some really nice options for 100-150 might find one under 150 on sale.

P.s. ignore the sound bar hate. Sound bars have come a long way and not everyone needs a receiver and massive speakers to be satisfied .

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #4440 of 6355 Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post
For $600 (P605), I would buy this set now.

Totally agree with this advice. Only reason for waiting would be if you wanted/needed a larger screen size.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page