*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4341Likes

post #5071 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone notice their Xbox One X, when it switches to HDR sometimes causing the TV to display static on screen? I have to switch inputs to get it to stop or reboot the Xbox. Just started happening recently.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsis View Post
Have you compared the Apple TV 4k with the built in Roku for the same app, lets say, Netflix. Does the Apple TV do a better job signalling to the TV, thus the pic is better?

I ask because I think I might want to get an Apple TV and if it does look better than the native Roku, I'll bite.

Thanks,

Robert
I got an Apple TV 4K with the help of some Amazon gift cards and I've been really impressed with the picture quality. I went back and forth with Netflix and Hulu and I do think the PQ on Apple TV's apps for both of those is better than the Roku App. It's not a night and day difference or something but I think it's noticeable. I think the Vudu app on the TV wins for now because it has Dolby Atmos and the Apple TV 4k doesn't (they are supposedly going to add it later via firmware update). The difference in PQ between the CW apps is crazy, the Apple TV app's video quality is most definitely night and day in the regard. Most of the video apps that I've used on Apple TV seems to have better video quality to various degrees. At least, that's my opinion.
robsis and helvetica bold like this.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

Last edited by JohngPR; 01-06-2018 at 06:34 AM.
post #5073 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejtl View Post
Yup, turned off noise reduction a few days ago. I'll double check that tonight, but I'm 99% sure I did that already.

I'm open to any other suggestions anyone might have.
Make sure you do it for every input. I kept forgetting that you have to go into those settings on your phone for each input since they each have their own settings. HDR, DV, and Regular TV have their own settings as well.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5074 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Internet Question:

I have a good internet connection (350 do). My modem is near the tv. With this tv do you recommend going wired, or wireless?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
post #5075 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Would this be considered bad blooming?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bloom.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	2341360  
post #5076 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogo.stone View Post
Internet Question:

I have a good internet connection (350 do). My modem is near the tv. With this tv do you recommend going wired, or wireless?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Wired will always give you the most stable interference free connection. However, mine works without issue wireless with a 200/20 connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5077 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post
Would this be considered bad blooming?

Depends on who you ask. The nit pickers would say that is terrible and unacceptable. My opinion is that it’s not that bad. Play with the picture settings. You can probably get rid of a lot of it.

crcostel likes this.

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5078 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeniginator View Post
Anyone else here with the Vizio SB3651-E6 wireless sound bar? I recently upgraded to the 2017 SB3651-E6 and hooked the old 2016 model SB3851-D0 up to the older tv upstairs, but while I noticed that the sound is generally fine in tv shows and movies on the new system, the audio in the tv's built-in roku interface is screwed. The clicking sound effect when moving around the interface is near silent, but when I start moving through the UI fast enough, the clicks get much louder and distinct. This wasn't the case before while using the SB3851-D0, the clicking sound was always pretty uniform and level.

it happens everywhere but the effect is most pronounced and easily reproducible in the youtube app.

I noticed there's no sound coming from the center channel in the roku interface, only when watching video. Is this the same for everyone else, or is there a bug on my end with the center channel? This happens using both optical and HDMI, with the audio set to auto (dolby digital dts)
I use the same Vizio soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. I dislike the volume ON for menu interface and have it OFF for both Roku UI and YouTube. I did turn them on and did not experience anything unusual. I would check to see how the following settings are on the Vizio SB using the Vizio remote. (EQ, TruVolume and Surround) Mine are set to MOVIE, ON and ON. Perhaps some combination of those might adjust how menu volumes are treated. I didn't realize until checking one day that EQ had been set to MUSIC, rather than MOVIE or DIRECT and I was not getting 5.1 surround.

Below is a link to the PDF of Vizio SB manual. See page 19 for what the settings above I suggested will do when set.
http://cdn.vizio.com/misc/QuickStart...b3651e6qsg.pdf
post #5079 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesince86 View Post
First post, hopefully someone can help me before I have to involve TCL support/warranty.

I bought this TV about 4 months ago and I've had no issues until the past month. Out of nowhere I started hearing chirping and beeping audio sounds when using any Roku apps. I thought maybe something was wrong with the Roku 8.0 update but I'm getting the same issue when streaming from my Android TV box on a different HDMI port. The weird thing is, when watching satellite through my sound bar input then HDMI ARC to the TV, I dont have the problem. I've tried switching cables and using the TV speakers instead of the sound bar but nothing helps. I've also done a factory reset. No luck.

Has anyone had any issues similar to this or heard of this before? Thee chirping sounds are driving me nuts.

I appreciate any help.
I've noticed funny things when the remote batteries are low. Take out the batteries or put in new ones and see if that helps.
post #5080 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm been completely unable to get ARC working with my P605 and Yamaha RX-V671 AVR.

So far this is what I've done:
1. Plugged a new certified premium hdmi cable (Monoprice) into the P605 HDMI 3 and the HDMI out of the Yamaha.
2. Made sure the Yamaha is set to the AV4 input (manual says that is the Arc one)
3. Updated the Yamaha firmware.
4. Played with the TCL settings ad nauseum.

Anyone have any tips? I'd hate to have to fall back to the digital optical output connection (which I don't even know will work or not).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk
post #5081 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
After a week of debugging, I'm pretty close to giving up on this set and returning it next week. The motion resolution is just awful. Every input, including internal ones (and OTA broadcasts), exhibits an awful loss of resolution whenever there is any movement. The difference is so jarring (vs. no motion) that it's difficult to enjoy content on this set.

Tried game mode. Noise reduction is off. Nothing seems to help. The color and black level of this set are *awesome*, but god I can't handle the motion.

What am I missing?

Calibration Equipment:
Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro
Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL
post #5082 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post
After a week of debugging, I'm pretty close to giving up on this set and returning it next week. The motion resolution is just awful. Every input, including internal ones (and OTA broadcasts), exhibits an awful loss of resolution whenever there is any movement. The difference is so jarring (vs. no motion) that it's difficult to enjoy content on this set.

Tried game mode. Noise reduction is off. Nothing seems to help. The color and black level of this set are *awesome*, but god I can't handle the motion.

What am I missing?
Sounds to me like you're just too used to having things like interpolation active which this tv doesn't have. I've seen plenty of video with motion and it looks perfectly fine to me but I also have almost no experience with the type of motion processing that higher end tvs have so I'm completely used to it. Like PC gamers so used to 60 FPS or higher refusing to go back to 30 FPS.
post #5083 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:

What am I missing?

It could be you got a defective set. I feel this is not a widespread issue with the tv or else people would have been complaining from day one. It could also be that you are just one of those people that is sensitive to this sort of thing. Just like when lcd TVs first came out some were really susceptible to the “screen door effect” others could not see it.

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5084 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Red Eagle View Post
Sounds to me like you're just too used to having things like interpolation active which this tv doesn't have. I've seen plenty of video with motion and it looks perfectly fine to me but I also have almost no experience with the type of motion processing that higher end tvs have so I'm completely used to it. Like PC gamers so used to 60 FPS or higher refusing to go back to 30 FPS.
Actually I hate interpolated display modes. I always turn them off. I have LCDs all over, but most of them are monitors, and are IPS. The pixel switching speed on this VA panel seems unusually slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
It could be you got a defective set. I feel this is not a widespread issue with the tv or else people would have been complaining from day one.
I agree that this is a possibility. Seems unlikely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
It could also be that you are just one of those people that is sensitive to this sort of thing. Just like when lcd TVs first came out some were really susceptible to the “screen door effect” others could not see it.
This is the most likely scenario, I'm afraid. I think the fact that this set is 4K makes this characteristic much worse, as this panel's rated motion resolution is 300 lines. That's a much bigger difference from the static resolution of 2160 lines vs 1080 on most of the LCD displays that I'm used to. My plasma had ~800 lines of motion res., and the OLED I returned had ~600. I didn't think this would bother me, but I think it does.

Calibration Equipment:
post #5085 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
I've noticed funny things when the remote batteries are low. Take out the batteries or put in new ones and see if that helps.
I guess I could try that. But I don't even use the included remote. I've been using a Harmony One since I first got the TV.
post #5086 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I use the same Vizio soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. I dislike the volume ON for menu interface and have it OFF for both Roku UI and YouTube. I did turn them on and did not experience anything unusual. I would check to see how the following settings are on the Vizio SB using the Vizio remote. (EQ, TruVolume and Surround) Mine are set to MOVIE, ON and ON. Perhaps some combination of those might adjust how menu volumes are treated. I didn't realize until checking one day that EQ had been set to MUSIC, rather than MOVIE or DIRECT and I was not getting 5.1 surround.
Are there any sounds coming from the center channel in the interface?
post #5087 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

What am I missing?
I have the same issue, primarily for sports when the camera slowly pans, like in golf broadcasts. For my Sports setting, I have turned off both Local Contrast and Dynamic Contrast, which seems to help a little.
Tempest261 likes this.
post #5088 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnor View Post
I have the same issue, primarily for sports when the camera slowly pans, like in golf broadcasts. For my Sports setting, I have turned off both Local Contrast and Dynamic Contrast, which seems to help a little.
Thanks for this. Good to know I'm not totally crazy.

Calibration Equipment:
post #5089 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Menu Glitching?

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2341738  
post #5090 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k124 View Post
Any ideas?

Looks like a software glitch. Unplug for a couple min.

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5091 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the 55P605 over the holiday and am pretty happy with it, but one nagging issue has left me scratching my head. My wife and I have noticed an auto volume leveling kind of behavior a number of times - as overall program/background volume builds the volume will lower temporarily then pick back up. We have the TV connected to a Vizio soundbar via the ARC output. I searched this thread but couldn't find anyone else discussing this and I haven't found any setting in this TV for AVL or similar settings. Any thoughts?
post #5092 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam H View Post
I got the 55P605 over the holiday and am pretty happy with it, but one nagging issue has left me scratching my head. My wife and I have noticed an auto volume leveling kind of behavior a number of times - as overall program/background volume builds the volume will lower temporarily then pick back up. We have the TV connected to a Vizio soundbar via the ARC output. I searched this thread but couldn't find anyone else discussing this and I haven't found any setting in this TV for AVL or similar settings. Any thoughts?
Check the TruVolume setting of your Vizio soundbar. I think default is set to OFF, but if it is ON it does try to normalize volume so that you don't get the big spikes in volume you can get going in and coming out of commercial breaks.
post #5093 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeniginator View Post
Are there any sounds coming from the center channel in the interface?
Yes. Did hear sounds from center channel.
post #5094 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Yes. Did hear sounds from center channel.
thanks. that must be part of the issue because i've got no sound coming from the center channel in the interface, only the left and right channels, which is weird considering sound comes through the center channel just fine watching videos

now i just need to figure out why

shouldn't be an equalizer or volume normalization setting causing that kind of issue, right? makes me think it's an audio format issue, like the sound bar is interpreting the dts/dolby signal incorrectly and only playing the stereo channels despite receiving a 5.1 signal
post #5095 of 6441 Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
Hi, i just got this set and have a question. I am using a harmony remote and wanted to know if there was a way to set this up to quickly select or scroll through picture settings or brightness setting? When going to HDR i want to move to Bright but the rest of the time I want the TV set to Normal or Dark. Is there a way to do this without going to the menu every time?
It should keep separate settings for HDR and SDR content.

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #5096 of 6441 Old 01-07-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Pacific Rim

Think it was mentioned a few times watching Pacific Rim through the Vudu app is a must. It did look great, probably the best so far. What I assume was the HDR/DV, I can't remember which, really seemed to make the colors pop and not much dark detail crushing.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #5097 of 6441 Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
Pacific Rim

Think it was mentioned a few times watching Pacific Rim through the Vudu app is a must. It did look great, probably the best so far. What I assume was the HDR/DV, I can't remember which, really seemed to make the colors pop and not much dark detail crushing.
Yes, if you have the bandwidth, Pacific Rim is a fantastic watch on VUDU. I believe all HDR is Dolby Vision on this streaming service. The new Batman trilogy looks pretty awesome as well.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #5098 of 6441 Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Yes, if you have the bandwidth, Pacific Rim is a fantastic watch on VUDU. I believe all HDR is Dolby Vision on this streaming service. The new Batman trilogy looks pretty awesome as well.
Speaking of bandwidth, my internet is around 50 mbps. I don't know if my tv being connected will hit that high but even if it's about half that, that should be plenty to stream 4k content on netflix, amazon, etc.?

Also, any benefits for PQ in gaming if game mode is turned off. I know input lag goes up a touch but does having game mode off give you any processing options that can improve a 4k HDR game?
post #5099 of 6441 Old 01-08-2018, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Speaking of bandwidth, my internet is around 50 mbps. I don't know if my tv being connected will hit that high but even if it's about half that, that should be plenty to stream 4k content on netflix, amazon, etc.?

Also, any benefits for PQ in gaming if game mode is turned off. I know input lag goes up a touch but does having game mode off give you any processing options that can improve a 4k HDR game?
I think I have 32-36Mbps and it was enough, even over Wi-Fi, to stream 2160p. May take a minute or so here and there, but you should be good. My TCL picks up a better/stronger Wi-Fi signal than my Vizio M when placed in the same location.
post #5100 of 6441 Old 01-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
I have tried gaming mode on/off with hdr and non hdr games and decided to leave it on. I did notice a slight uptick in lag without it but didn't notice anything detrimental to the picture quality while it is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page