*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4338Likes

post #5161 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio Sync After 8.0 Update - Netflix/HBO Go/ Amazon

Hi All,

I've had a P605 connected to a Vizio SB3651-E6 via HDMI ARC since mid-November. Everything seemed fine until the 8.0 Firmware update was pushed to the TV. Now I have an persistent audio sync issue where the video will get noticeably ahead of the audio (ranging from a slight delay to full seconds). It can usually be fixed by powering the soundbar on and off, but always seems to come back.

The strange part is that it only happens on certain apps--Netflix, HBO Go, and Amazon all have the issue, while Hulu, YouTube, Discovery, Science, and Bravo seem to be fine.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'm coming up on the end of the holiday return period and would really prefer to keep the TV, although might be worth returning and waiting for the 6 series in a few months.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm noticing these horizontal lines on TV shows when something pans up. I noticed it more so the other day watching family guy (cartoon) and regular shows. There is almost no vertical DSE or Band but I get these uniform horizontal lines on certain things when it pans up.

Is it a known issue or fix? Do all TVs do it?
post #5163 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhhaze View Post
I know everyone is excited about CES and the new TCLs coming out, but, I'm hoping to take a quick poll of current p series owners regarding a couple picture settings...

*** What Picture Mode, Color Temperature and Gamma are you using?

Personally, I'm still working on getting my picture settings right and just got my Disney Wow! disc in to do a basic calibration. But, i need to fix in a few of the variables and get a solid starting place so I can tinker with the rest settings.

The reason I'm interested is I noticed CNET, RTINGS and a few other professional calibrators used a Picture Mode of "Movie" and a Color Temperature of "Warm". When I use those settings the picture looks washed out to me even in a pitch black room. My eye seems to favor a "normal" or "low-power" picture mode, but, I'm wondering if anyone is using normal or low-power or are you just using the cnet, rtings or other calibration settings.

Thank you in advance...
IME all the Movie, Low Power, Normal, Vivid, etc options do is just change the presets for the Backlight, Brightness, Contrast, etc settings, i.e. if you change Movie to have all the same settings (and same color temp) as Normal they appear identical, it shouldn't matter which one you really start with. Personally I used Normal since I tend to watch TV in a less than dark room and it needed the fewest adjustments to match up with the calibration disc.
whizkid39 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewweinman View Post
Hi All,

I've had a P605 connected to a Vizio SB3651-E6 via HDMI ARC since mid-November. Everything seemed fine until the 8.0 Firmware update was pushed to the TV. Now I have an persistent audio sync issue where the video will get noticeably ahead of the audio (ranging from a slight delay to full seconds). It can usually be fixed by powering the soundbar on and off, but always seems to come back.

The strange part is that it only happens on certain apps--Netflix, HBO Go, and Amazon all have the issue, while Hulu, YouTube, Discovery, Science, and Bravo seem to be fine.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'm coming up on the end of the holiday return period and would really prefer to keep the TV, although might be worth returning and waiting for the 6 series in a few months.

Thanks!
I have a different vizio sb4551 but i've always had audio sync/lag issues with hdmi arc on mine. I haven't been able to fix it outside of just switching to using optical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I'm noticing these horizontal lines on TV shows when something pans up. I noticed it more so the other day watching family guy (cartoon) and regular shows. There is almost no vertical DSE or Band but I get these uniform horizontal lines on certain things when it pans up.

Is it a known issue or fix? Do all TVs do it?
that sounds like DSE due to uniformity to me. weakness of this tv. other tvs might have it too but may vary between sets
post #5165 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewweinman View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!
Same P605 and same Vizio soundbar. I've had my setup since August and have seen the same audio sync issue after upgrade to 8.0. It was rock solid on OS 7.7, but once 8.0 hit I began to get intermittent sync issues. The worse for me is with OTA channels. I know that Roku devices in the past have had this issue with Dolby Digital audio. I think some of this has to do with the framerate that Roku identifies over these various channels and syncing Dolby Digital audio. I know that 8.0 on external devices tries to identify native framerate of the stream and adjust accordingly. I wonder if that is some of the issue here. For instance, if I start up a channel and audio sync issue is present immediately I can stop the stream and exit out to home screen and select another input, such as HDMI 1 device. If I then go back and select streaming app and select the same content it will seem to identify or 'snap' into sync and the issue will not show up again during entire streaming session. This only seems to be an issue with Dolby Digital set as your Default audio. If you go into SETTINGS -- AUDIO and set Audio to STEREO and set SPDIF / ARC to AUTO DETECT you won't see the audio sync issue. I have decided to live with the issue and can still get most streams to 'snap' into sync with a little effort. Only a handful of the streaming apps thru Roku are Dolby Digital and more are still Stereo. If it gets really bad, I switch AUDIO to Stereo and have the Vizio soundbar SURROUND setting turned ON so that it will take Stereo audio and expand it out to Surround effect. Any time I have seen this discussed in a forum about any Roku device (external or integrated with TV), the normal response from Roku has been to set AUDIO to Stereo.

I don't know if it is a P-Series issue or just a Roku 8.0 issue. Moving to 6-Series will still have the Roku 8.0 interface, so it may not present any better than what we currently have.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #5166 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGen View Post
Since the 8.0 update is anyone else having problems with local dimming? I saw the discussion a few posts back about the differences between low/medium/high... but no matter the setting, it seems like local dimming has been slower to react to scene changes and I'm getting the white blotch effect for a few quick moments before it reacts. Then it's an "in your face" change. This is especially noticeable at the end of Meridian (in the dark room with the clown toy).
I assume you are talking about the Meridian video from The HDR Channel on youtube. I'll have to wait until I get home to test.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the flashing issue related to local dimming, but I can confirm that it's still a prevalent issue, and it's by far the most annoying issue about this TV for me. I even see it on SDR content sometimes.
post #5167 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Here's a good blurb on the 2018 P series. I can see why they decided to yank the 65 back. Glad I had held off buying over the holidays.

The 2017 version of TCL’s 6-Series TV offered the best value of any TV we’d ever tested. This year, TCL seems to have improved upon an already great TV with better HDR performance and a redesigned body that looks sharper and feels sturdier. The company has also added a larger, 65-inch model to the lineup, addressing one of our biggest complaints about the 2017 version, which was available only in 55 inches. Both sizes will be available later this winter.

The 2018 6-Series TV has more dimming zones (96 for the 55-inch version, up from 72 in last year’s model, and 120 for the 65-inch version) and gets 25 percent brighter; these differences should make for better HDR and improved contrast ratios. It also offers an additional HDR mode designed for use in brighter rooms. This mode is helpful, since as wonderful as HDR can look, many people find it too dim during daytime viewing. https://thewirecutter.com/blog/ces-2018/
post #5168 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone had these issues I posted a bit above about?

1- Source crash changes profiles- Seems after my xbox crashes when it comes back the display is at wildly different colors (much brighter/lighter), maybe HDR is turned off or something? Power cycling TV fixes it. Inclined to think this isn't an issue with display though.

2- External files/USB- Anyone had luck here? I haven't gotten the TV to recognize a single 4k file via USB, need to try some old files to make sure it legit works and isn't a USB issue still.

- JV
post #5169 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodymyr View Post
Recently purchased the 605 set for myself and loving it. Upgraded from a EH6000 Samsung 1080p 60". The reduction of 5" is more noticeable than I thought, but in almost every other way this TV is a massive upgrade. The diversity/vibrancy of color is amazing. Only real downside is the crazy reflective screen, but I also have two questions/issues:

1) So far only really notice this when Xbox1X crashes but when I come back color is way off, like something in the dynamic display shifted and I power cycle the TV and its back to normal. What is this? Not a TV problem I am assuming since I notice it under these specific conditions?

2) I have yet to get a 4K file to work. First I thought it was my USB partition format, then this, then that. I think the problem is my files happen to be x265 codec which Xbox is known to have issues with, but I also get no luck plugging my USB into the TV. I know 4k is a different animal but I am used to just watching files on USB this way, need to play around a little more but thoughts?

1.) happens to me once and a while. It appears the TV stays in HDR mode when showing non-hdr content (like the Xbox home screen). I think it has to do with the game not exiting correctly or the Xbox going to sleep, something like that. Same thing I have to turn off the TV and back on to clear it.

2.) this tv is extremely fussy with usb. Only a few of the USB and External drives out of the many I have would even show up at all. (Correctly formatted). Then the movies need to be the correct codec/format. It has been so frustrating regarding this I have actually stopped trying and we watch 4K rips on my wife’s LG with webOS 3.5 which will play just about anything without the hassle. In my initial test I had 10 4K movies. Out of the 10, 9 played fine on my wife’s LG. Out of the same 10, 3 played on the TCL but only 2 of them with audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5170 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
2.) this tv is extremely fussy with usb. Only a few of the USB and External drives out of the many I have would even show up at all. (Correctly formatted). Then the movies need to be the correct codec/format. It has been so frustrating regarding this I have actually stopped trying and we watch 4K rips on my wife’s LG with webOS 3.5 which will play just about anything without the hassle. In my initial test I had 10 4K movies. Out of the 10, 9 played fine on my wife’s LG. Out of the same 10, 3 played on the TCL but only 2 of them with audio.
Thank you, this is disheartening to hear. By no means a dealbreaker for me it is kinda upsetting that such a great 4k display has such problems with 4k content! I have been surprised at how new 4k really is though in terms of codecs and similar. Have you just lived with it hoping firmware updates will help resolve, or just not a priority? It is not for me but in a couple years it might be and won't likely be able to upgrade again then so trying to think ahead!

- JV
post #5171 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you, this is disheartening to hear. By no means a dealbreaker for me it is kinda upsetting that such a great 4k display has such problems with 4k content! I have been surprised at how new 4k really is though in terms of codecs and similar. Have you just lived with it hoping firmware updates will help resolve, or just not a priority? It is not for me but in a couple years it might be and won't likely be able to upgrade again then so trying to think ahead!
Yes, this TV is weird with 4K audio codecs (I still don't understand why) although I've never had a problem with it playing HEVC video codecs. My solution to this issue as well as USB is to run all local media via a Raspberry Pi Plex server (via the Roku Plex app). This allows to switch the audio to a TCL-compatible codec (if needed) but you can keep the original video stream, so picture quality isn't impacted. The only issue to consider is that the tv is only 10/100, so pushing a 60meg/sec+ 4K video stream via Plex may not work (especially if via a Pi). Also, the Pi doesn't have enough CPU to transcode video (not an issue for the tv, but just an FYI, if trying to watch remotely)
post #5172 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:

I’m just betting on updates and time and progress with 4K codecs. Currently we use my wife’s tv instead of mine (they are both in the living room, we game together) for rips but we mine for any other 4K content.

The usb part I don’t think will change but I think maybe a powered hub would solve it for some.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5173 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulder3 View Post
Yes, this TV is weird with 4K audio codecs (I still don't understand why) although I've never had a problem with it playing HEVC video codecs. My solution to this issue as well as USB is to run all local media via a Raspberry Pi Plex server (via the Roku Plex app). This allows to switch the audio to a TCL-compatible codec (if needed) but you can keep the original video stream, so picture quality isn't impacted. The only issue to consider is that the tv is only 10/100, so pushing a 60meg/sec+ 4K video stream via Plex may not work (especially if via a Pi). Also, the Pi doesn't have enough CPU to transcode video (not an issue for the tv, but just an FYI, if trying to watch remotely)
Yea I tried Plex which I use for my media files but that computer is an old Q6600- not quite capable of processing 4k

What is the 10/100?

Are you able to push just audio via plex while running the video through another source? You'd think xbox would be good for this and that obviously some updates will help but yea

EDIT: My other thought is to try my laptop as a temporary plex server, being latest i7 and such should be able to do the 4k, but I also don't care that much about 4k files just kind of wanted to experience it with the new tv and all lol.

- JV

Last edited by Volodymyr; 01-11-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #5174 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea I tried Plex which I use for my media files but that computer is an old Q6600- not quite capable of processing 4k
Your PC should be able to handle it. Remeber you DO NOT want to transcode the video, so you'll have to change settings on both the laptop & TV for original video setting (the tv says 'not recommended' for this feature, but it's fine)

Quote:
What is the 10/100?
10/100 is the speed of the Ethernet port on the tv. It maxes out at 100meg/sec not gigabit (1,000meg), which can create buffering issues through a home network.

Quote:
Are you able to push just audio via plex while running the video through another source? You'd think xbox would be good for this and that obviously some updates will help but yea
I don't believe you can, but syncing up via another source would be a pain the @ss anyway. Again, you want to ensure there is NO video transcoding on both your PC & TV settings. As for audio transcoding, just select it from the TV in the options when selecting the video.
post #5175 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
Try playing with the output sound settings in the tv. Stereo, Dolby etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you again! That worked
post #5176 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Your PC should be able to handle it. Remeber you DO NOT want to transcode the video, so you'll have to change settings on both the laptop & TV for original video setting (the tv says 'not recommended' for this feature, but it's fine)

10/100 is the speed of the Ethernet port on the tv. It maxes out at 100meg/sec not gigabit (1,000meg), which can create buffering issues through a home network.

I don't believe you can, but syncing up via another source would be a pain the @ss anyway. Again, you want to ensure there is NO video transcoding on both your PC & TV settings. As for audio transcoding, just select it from the TV in the options when selecting the video.
I will have to look into this then thank you! I read online that Plex recommends i7 for streaming 4k so just assumed my like decade old processor was the problem

- JV
post #5177 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 PM

I see 4k.com is claiming $1,000 price point for the 65-P607 but also a release date of late 2017 lol. Any better ideas on this? Contemplating keeping my slightly undersized but loved P605 to wait for the new models but who wants to play the waiting game?

- JV
post #5178 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Please please please say Costco will be carrying these this time around.
post #5179 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I see 4k.com is claiming $1,000 price point for the 65-P607 but also a release date of late 2017 lol. Any better ideas on this? Contemplating keeping my slightly undersized but loved P605 to wait for the new models but who wants to play the waiting game?
I guess 4k.com never updated their site lol
My guess, assuming they keep their prices competitive this year, is that th 65 inch 6 series will be around 1000 so if you're willing to wait then go for it.
post #5180 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGen View Post
Since the 8.0 update is anyone else having problems with local dimming? I saw the discussion a few posts back about the differences between low/medium/high... but no matter the setting, it seems like local dimming has been slower to react to scene changes and I'm getting the white blotch effect for a few quick moments before it reacts. Then it's an "in your face" change. This is especially noticeable at the end of Meridian (in the dark room with the clown toy).
I am having issues like this. It's really slow to react, to the point when it goes from bright to dark it's really noticeable.

Also have issues where like the whole screen in some instances looks like the FALD isn't even working and everything is smeared with vasoline at points.

Not sure what the heck they've done to the fald.
post #5181 of 6434 Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Here's a good blurb on the 2018 P series. I can see why they decided to yank the 65 back. Glad I had held off buying over the holidays.

The 2017 version of TCL’s 6-Series TV offered the best value of any TV we’d ever tested. This year, TCL seems to have improved upon an already great TV with better HDR performance and a redesigned body that looks sharper and feels sturdier. The company has also added a larger, 65-inch model to the lineup, addressing one of our biggest complaints about the 2017 version, which was available only in 55 inches. Both sizes will be available later this winter.

The 2018 6-Series TV has more dimming zones (96 for the 55-inch version, up from 72 in last year’s model, and 120 for the 65-inch version) and gets 25 percent brighter; these differences should make for better HDR and improved contrast ratios. It also offers an additional HDR mode designed for use in brighter rooms. This mode is helpful, since as wonderful as HDR can look, many people find it too dim during daytime viewing. https://thewirecutter.com/blog/ces-2018/

If what Wirecutter says is true, 25% brighter the 6 series, then it will top out around 825 nits? Current P series can get up to 700 maybe a little more. I wonder if the contrast ratio will get better?

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #5182 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 AM

Local Dimming + Dirty Screen Questions / P605

Hi - I've just bought a P650 2017. Am upgrading from a 10 year old 720p screen so quite the improvement hehe (kids meant no money the last few years ). I have a couple of questions, they may have already been answered here and I missed them, if so sorry!

1. I'm getting a display flicker on HD shows where the screen brightens in the middle of a scene, say the camera is panning across something and the screen will jump in brightness. Anyone else get this / is it this issue:

("The bad news is that this isn't where the dimming issues stop. While there's some flickering on particular scenes as the dimming algorithm adjusts itself, the most noticeable issue is over-brightening on scenes that don't need it". from televisions.reviewed.com - I cant post a link as this is my first post here)

2. The right edge off the screen is noticeably more pink than the rest of the image (say for 1" inwards). Is this usual / dirty screen issue?

3. Should I return and wait for the 2018 model or will the improvements be marginal (retuning will cost money and be a pain) ?

Thanks!
post #5183 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKeen2018 View Post
Hi - I've just bought a P650 2017. Am upgrading from a 10 year old 720p screen so quite the improvement hehe (kids meant no money the last few years ). I have a couple of questions, they may have already been answered here and I missed them, if so sorry!

1. I'm getting a display flicker on HD shows where the screen brightens in the middle of a scene, say the camera is panning across something and the screen will jump in brightness. Anyone else get this / is it this issue:

("The bad news is that this isn't where the dimming issues stop. While there's some flickering on particular scenes as the dimming algorithm adjusts itself, the most noticeable issue is over-brightening on scenes that don't need it". from televisions.reviewed.com - I cant post a link as this is my first post here)

2. The right edge off the screen is noticeably more pink than the rest of the image (say for 1" inwards). Is this usual / dirty screen issue?

3. Should I return and wait for the 2018 model or will the improvements be marginal (retuning will cost money and be a pain) ?

Thanks!

Try turning dynamic contrast off and see if that is better.

post #5184 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Is it really only 10/100?!?

Might explain the buffering on my 96Mbps 4k home movies (taken with a Panasonic LX100) in the Plex app.

First I find out my Roku Premier+'s are only 10/100 and now this....
post #5185 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's normal for FALD to make the picture on this slightly darker in general, right?
post #5186 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH323 View Post
It's normal for FALD to make the picture on this slightly darker in general, right?

Yes it’s normal

CH323 likes this.

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5187 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Kind of a stupid question: when you switch from something in SDR to something in HDR, does it matter what the SDR picture mode (movie, normal, etc) was before switching, or do the 3 HDR settings just completely replace them?
post #5188 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH323 View Post
Kind of a stupid question: when you switch from something in SDR to something in HDR, does it matter what the SDR picture mode (movie, normal, etc) was before switching, or do the 3 HDR settings just completely replace them?

The sdr and hdr settings are independent of one another.

CH323 likes this.

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5189 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's finally here!
Now I just have to get it set up, do a touch of tweaking and then I'll post my initial impressions. Box is in great shape too so I'm hoping that the panel is in great shape as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2344580  
post #5190 of 6434 Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Red Eagle View Post
It's finally here!

Now I just have to get it set up, do a touch of tweaking and then I'll post my initial impressions. Box is in great shape too so I'm hoping that the panel is in great shape as well.

Congrats!
Let me give you a piece of advice. Set it up, turn it on. Barring any obvious damage or defect.....just watch tv. Don’t look for flashlighting or do a screen bleed test. Don’t look for dse or dead pixels. Just adjust the picture to your liking and just watch tv. If it’s pleasing to you don’t look for any of the issues you have read about on this forum. Fingers crossed for you and ENJOY!

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page