*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4319Likes

post #5611 of 6354 Old 02-21-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So lately my tcl decided its miracast screen mirroring refuses to work. It does not pop up on the available secondary displays nore will it allow itself to be rediscovered. Never had a single problem with my premier+. Anyone aware of this being a stubborn point with the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 6354 Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm kind of confused about something. Every single Vudu movie that's available in HDR says Dolby Vision. Is that a mistake, or does Vudu only stream in Dolby Vision? But a lot of the movies that say DV are movies I thought were only HDR10 on blu-ray. For example, it says all the Nolan 4k movies are DV. Aren't those only HDR10?
post #5613 of 6354 Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone. I got my tcl p605 a week ago. And did local dimming test from youtube(small white circle running around the screen). About 10 inches around circle lights up too. I didn't see that on rtings' video. Do i have a problem with my tv or it is ok? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 6354 Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH323 View Post
I'm kind of confused about something. Every single Vudu movie that's available in HDR says Dolby Vision. Is that a mistake, or does Vudu only stream in Dolby Vision? But a lot of the movies that say DV are movies I thought were only HDR10 on blu-ray. For example, it says all the Nolan 4k movies are DV. Aren't those only HDR10?
Only Dolby Vision on VUDU.
CH323 likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #5615 of 6354 Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH323 View Post
Vudu used to only stream in Dolby Vision but they are adding HDR10 to a lot of titles now too.

4K Blu-rays only supported HDR10 for the longest time, but Dolby Vision 4K Blu-rays are starting to come out this year. Star Wars is one of the first to support it.
CH323 likes this.
post #5616 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 AM
beq

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspost View Post
I noticed that the RC135 remote sends both IR and Wifi power on signals for power on (at least initially), so I turned off fast start in the power options, to stop it from turning on and immediately off.
Sorry I forgot to follow up, I have actually experienced this as well. Thanks for pointing this out.

I like Fast TV Start though, so I wonder if there's another fix available...

Last edited by beq; 02-22-2018 at 11:33 PM.
post #5617 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
IMO this is normal. I have yet to see anyone share pictures with a light background without it. I have seen 3 in person and they all have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for confirming. I think it's something I'll just have to train my brain not to notice as much. If I hadn't read about the bad gray uniformity beforehand I probably wouldn't have noticed it in the first place!
crawlgsx likes this.
post #5618 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkTheWood View Post
The settings I see in the video appear to be exactly like what is on their site other than the gamma. Anybody else see anything different?

Backlight goes from 20 to 4. That’s important for watching SDR.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #5619 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoRich View Post
I'm referring to if your outside of the return period and you have to deal directly with TCL. I tried calling to ask and they were almost purposely vague. I understand they do in home repairs on smaller TVs but for replacements on bigger TVs do they bring you another one and take yours in a swap? Do you return it to a store? do you have to ship your big 55" TV into them and wait for another?
I am referring to the TCL Policy. They offer 1 year parts and labor. If they have an authorized service center nearby, they will do in home repairs, or you might be required to take the set to the facility. If not they will send a post paid shipping box, with very specific directions on how and what to pack. They do not supply a replacement television while they are fixing your set. If it is determined it is cheaper to replace your set, than to repair it, they will send you a remanufactured set and ask you to destroy the broken one (you will see some of these sets being sold on Craig's List or Ebay for parts.)

Do not take the above as verbatim, there may be slight variations, but I have done electronics returns in the past, and this is how all big manufacturers have done it for me (Samsung, Apple, IBM).
post #5620 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV recently started not turning off and on sometimes. When I turn it off, it says powering off but then does not, and then the remote becomes unresponsive. This has happened a few times, and I had to pull the plug on the left side and replug it in to start it up again. Today it wouldn't turn on and I had to do the same thing. Anyone run into this issue? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find the right keywords if it has come up...
post #5621 of 6354 Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This happened to me once. I tried to turn the TV off but it wouldn't go off. The remote wouldn't work, so like you, I had to unplug the TV to get it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
My TV recently started not turning off and on sometimes. When I turn it off, it says powering off but then does not, and then the remote becomes unresponsive. This has happened a few times, and I had to pull the plug on the left side and replug it in to start it up again. Today it wouldn't turn on and I had to do the same thing. Anyone run into this issue? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find the right keywords if it has come up...
post #5622 of 6354 Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Which model? (P605 - IR Remote or P607 - WiFi Remote) Do you have FAST TV START enabled or disabled under Power settings?

I assume you mean it will not power ON or OFF with the Remote. When that happens, have you tried using the Power ON/OFF located on the back right of the set? I wonder if it is an IR issue after the set is past the standby mode and the set is just not seeing the ON request from the remote until you do a hard reset (unplug TV)? Not sure about unresponsive OFF command, other than the remote losing its paring if WiFi or IR sensor is not receiving OFF command from IR remote. OR, weak batteries. I have had a P605 (IR Remote) since early August of 2017 and remote began to really lag and required multiple attempts to move around Roku and Streaming apps for the first time in the last week. Finally realized it might be a battery issue and replaced the TCL branded batteries that were still in the remote from set up 6+ months ago and the remote is as responsive as ever. Can't complain about 6 months on remote batteries that get banged on constantly throughout a viewing day.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)

Last edited by blade005; 02-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #5623 of 6354 Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowinq View Post
I have pretty bad horizontal lines - like ghosts - that are very noticeable on medium level scenes when panning. I actually called TCL and they replaced my first set - same deal on the new one. I'm not sure if these are just a defect with all of this model or not. I might try another exchange as the guy that delivered the new TV had it lying flat in the back of his pickup which could have possibly damaged the screen. I have some vertical issues as well. Here are my 50% grey screens. It actually looks a bit worse in person than in the pictures, fwiw. Would you guys say this is pretty standard for this model or should I try another replacement?
Looks similar to the three different sets i've seen. Screen uniformity.
post #5624 of 6354 Old 02-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Which model? (P605 - IR Remote or P607 - WiFi Remote) Do you have FAST TV START enabled or disabled under Power settings?

I assume you mean it will not power ON or OFF with the Remote. When that happens, have you tried using the Power ON/OFF located on the back right of the set? I wonder if it is an IR issue after the set is past the standby mode and the set is just not seeing the ON request from the remote until you do a hard reset (unplug TV)? Not sure about unresponsive OFF command, other than the remote losing its paring if WiFi or IR sensor is not receiving OFF command from IR remote. OR, weak batteries. I have had a P605 (IR Remote) since early August of 2017 and remote began to really lag and required multiple attempts to move around Roku and Streaming apps for the first time in the last week. Finally realized it might be a battery issue and replaced the TCL branded batteries that were still in the remote from set up 6+ months ago and the remote is as responsive as ever. Can't complain about 6 months on remote batteries that get banged on constantly throughout a viewing day.
I have the 605. FAST start is enabled, just checked.

I should have probably explained a bit better. On the power OFF problem, I click off on the remote, it shows it is "powering off" and then nothing happens and it is frozen. Remote is no longer responsive. On the powering ON problem, it is basically just that, the remote won't turn it on.

I have not tried the side button, I will try it next time this happens (it is random when it does happen).

Not entirely related but I do hate this IR remote. It is very laggy compared to when I use the Roku app. Any recent findings of a good replacement remote?
post #5625 of 6354 Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Not entirely related but I do hate this IR remote. It is very laggy compared to when I use the Roku app. Any recent findings of a good replacement remote?
I don't find the IR remote laggy, I just had an issue with my soundbar blocking most of the IR sensor in the middle of the set which did cause it to be less responsive. My solution was a $9 IR Remote Extender from Amazon plugged into an AC outlet. Placed the IR Receiver in front of soundbar with easy access from anywhere in room and the IR Transmitter sitting just under the TCL Logo to beam IR signal straight up. This makes for a pretty inexpensive and more responsive IR Remote for my use. I had WiFi remote with previous Roku 3 and it was nice, but I must say that it is nice to get 6 months out of a set of AAA batteries under heavy daily use instead of replacing AA batteries in a WiFi remote just about monthly.

post #5626 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

I have had a P605 (IR Remote) since early August of 2017 and remote began to really lag and required multiple attempts to move around Roku and Streaming apps for the first time in the last week. Finally realized it might be a battery issue and replaced the TCL branded batteries that were still in the remote from set up 6+ months ago and the remote is as responsive as ever. Can't complain about 6 months on remote batteries that get banged on constantly throughout a viewing day.
I had the exact same problem with the remote recently. Changed the batteries and everything is fine again.
anderg likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #5627 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Should I get the 605p or the vizio m55 eo? Will be used for gaming.

Bxbigpipi
post #5628 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I don't find the IR remote laggy, I just had an issue with my soundbar blocking most of the IR sensor in the middle of the set which did cause it to be less responsive. My solution was a $9 IR Remote Extender from Amazon plugged into an AC outlet. Placed the IR Receiver in front of soundbar with easy access from anywhere in room and the IR Transmitter sitting just under the TCL Logo to beam IR signal straight up. This makes for a pretty inexpensive and more responsive IR Remote for my use. I had WiFi remote with previous Roku 3 and it was nice, but I must say that it is nice to get 6 months out of a set of AAA batteries under heavy daily use instead of replacing AA batteries in a WiFi remote just about monthly.
I have an LG sound bar but I can't control volume w the tcl IR remote. Any suggestions? Well its weird because I can only turn down volume when I press the volume-up button on tcl remote.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #5629 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Navarro View Post
I have an LG sound bar but I can't control volume w the tcl IR remote. Any suggestions? Well its weird because I can only turn down volume when I press the volume-up button on tcl remote.

How do you have it connected? I have not had any issues with either an older home theater system or a new Yamaha Soundbar connected via ARC although there are a few settings in the TV menu that have to be adjusted to get it going.

Last edited by abcekids; 02-24-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #5630 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post

Wait a few months and get the 2018 6 series

post #5631 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Navarro View Post

I also have an LG sound bar with no issues (hdmi into ARC port). ARC turned on as well as port set to hdmi 2.0 (don’t know if it matters but I did it anyway).

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5632 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

I love my TCL P for gaming and I have a Pro and an Xbox One X. So I recommend the P series. It have very low lag w/ HDR games and it gets bright enough for HDR w/ great contrast. You might want to wait for the 2018 model since it will be the same price with better specs. I might even upgrade to the 65 inch, lol.

post #5633 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The Vizio M Series has a lot of input lag.
post #5634 of 6354 Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491

Just got an Apple TV 4K today. I’m quoting my own post from the Apple TV Owners thread. Just wondering if anyone else with our TV and the Apple TV 4K are seeing the issue I’m having with Despicable Me 1 & 2. I also just discovered that it is happening on The Secret Life of Pets as well. All 3 are Illumination Ent films, odd.

The ATV is plugged directly into the TCL. I have new HDMI cables on order from monoprice, they’ll be here Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
After messing around with a number of other movies I'm starting to wonder if there is just something wrong with the DV transfer of Despicable Me 1 & 2. Every other movie I have tried looks really, really good, even other animated movies including Despicable Me 3. 1 & 2 are the only movies I have come across that have this over saturated look.

Here are a couple pics I took with my phone. I know, phone pics suck but, it's an okay example of what I'm seeing.

4K SDR, trust me it looks better irl:

4K DV. Looks the same if I force the ATV to HDR. Trust me, the saturation is not from the camera. It actually looks worse then the pic shows:

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 02-24-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #5635 of 6354 Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First do you have 4:20 or 4:4:4 selected? I also have Apple TV 4K. With 4:4:4, colors really pop but I didn’t find it to be an error. All the content I viewed was in Dolby Vision w/ wide color gamut. For example in Star Trek (2009) reds are very deep and really pop off the screen. Altered Carbon again in Dolby Vision has very rich colors. The only annoying thing is I’m back to audio dropping out. I begrudgingly purchased the Belkin Ultra High Speed Cable to see if it solves my audio issues.

post #5636 of 6354 Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491

I believe I have it set to 4:2:0. It’s just odd to me because so far it is only those 3 movies, Despicable Me 1, 2 and Secret Life of Pets. All films by Illumination Ent. If it was a setup or configuration problem I would expect it to be more widespread. My certified premium cables will be here Tuesday, I’ll see if that makes a difference.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #5637 of 6354 Old 02-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Happened to me today..after no problems for 9 months. Could be I ignored yesterdays low remote battery warning. I unplugged, put in new batteries and haven't had a problem today. Hope it was simply a result of the remote needing new batteries.
anderg likes this.
post #5638 of 6354 Old 02-26-2018, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrik View Post
Happened to me today..after no problems for 9 months. Could be I ignored yesterdays low remote battery warning. I unplugged, put in new batteries and haven't had a problem today. Hope it was simply a result of the remote needing new batteries.
Same here. Low remote batteries cause TV malfunction.
anderg likes this.
post #5639 of 6354 Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
Same here. Low remote batteries cause TV malfunction.
Are you a P605 (IR Remote) or P607 (WiFi Remote) owner? I wonder if it is an issue for WiFi remotes and some kind of hangup as the set tries to power down and manage the remote pairing on low batteries.

post #5640 of 6354 Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Are you a P605 (IR Remote) or P607 (WiFi Remote) owner? I wonder if it is an issue for WiFi remotes and some kind of hangup as the set tries to power down and manage the remote pairing on low batteries.
In my case, it is the 605 remote (IR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page