*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4338Likes

post #5701 of 6434 Old 03-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotikdragon View Post
I know that but are the settings for 95 contrast and 2.0 gamma used for hdr too or are those only for sdr?
I know the backlight 4, contrast 95, and gamma 2.0 is for sdr, but are those all used for hdr as Well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6434 Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No, you shouldn't mess with the backlight or Contrast when in HDR mode. The mode automatically changes it to 100 so it can work its HDR magic.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #5703 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhhaze View Post
I didn't realize that rtings has new/revised calibration for this TV? How did you find this out?

I'm one of the few people, I believe on here, that isn't a big fan of the "movie" setting, as I seem to prefer the picture on the "normal" or the low power mode. I wish I could take a poll and see just how much I am in the minority with this setting .
I agree with you. MOVIE mode just puts too much of a yellow haze over content that I can not adjust to. I find NORMAL mode with Color Temp of WARM is most pleasing for my viewing.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
No, you shouldn't mess with the backlight or Contrast when in HDR mode. The mode automatically changes it to 100 so it can work its HDR magic.
I don't touch anything in Backlight or Contrast in HDR or DV mode, but if you do find content at times too dark and losing detail in these modes an adjustment of Gamma from default of 2.2 to 2.0 does make a difference. Just have to try it out and determine if it works for you.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #5705 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I don't touch anything in Backlight or Contrast in HDR or DV mode, but if you do find content at times too dark and losing detail in these modes an adjustment of Gamma from default of 2.2 to 2.0 does make a difference. Just have to try it out and determine if it works for you.
I understand that I just didn't understand the whole gamma 2.0 thing with the new rtings settings. Was he using it only for sdr?
post #5706 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So glad these threads exist. Just bought a 55P605 and using the Rtings settings I felt the picture just wasn't popping like my Samsung 55KU6300. But I am going to try reducing the gamma and contrast in the updated settings tonight.

Anyone use the Netflix app on their Xbox One S on this TV? The menu is completely washed out once it engages the HDR. I tried playing with the settings, but everything is what it should be. The content seems fine though, just thought it was odd.

TCL 55P605
XBL & Steam: Atomic TreeDude
post #5707 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
The new setting is MUCH better. It’s in the video only. (Different contrast and gamma, I think one other setting is different but I can’t recall what it is off hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where is this new video with the full new calibration settings? I don't see it on rtings and went back several pages in this thread.

Disregard, found it here if anyone else is curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=buSiu_l6tFw

Summary for SDR:
Backlight: 4
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45

Roku App Adv Settings: Gamma 2.0
11 pt White: Set to Auto unless professionally calibrated
anderg likes this.

Last edited by jabbofresh; 03-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #5708 of 6434 Old 03-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post
So glad these threads exist. Just bought a 55P605 and using the Rtings settings I felt the picture just wasn't popping like my Samsung 55KU6300. But I am going to try reducing the gamma and contrast in the updated settings tonight.

Anyone use the Netflix app on their Xbox One S on this TV? The menu is completely washed out once it engages the HDR. I tried playing with the settings, but everything is what it should be. The content seems fine though, just thought it was odd.
I, personally, have not had that issue with Netflix, but have with my Xbox one X, usually it will correct itself if I use the controller Xbox button to return to the home menu, the colors should switch back to sdr, then return to the hdr content and it should switch back to the appropriate hdr mode. I then press the Xbox button again to check the colors in the pop up menu, if the pop up menu is washed out, I try again, but if the colors appear properly saturated, it's working as it should. On rare occasion I'll have to perform a hard reset on the Xbox to make it work. I once even had to reinstall the blu ray app for the Xbox. I hope this helps.
post #5709 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotikdragon View Post
I understand that I just didn't understand the whole gamma 2.0 thing with the new rtings settings. Was he using it only for sdr?
I'm pretty sure he uses gamma 2.0 for all modes.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #5710 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:

My guess is that although HDR is initiated on your TV, the menus aren't color graded for HDR, so they look washed out.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #5711 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 AM

New settings are much more natural. Past some very minor clouding in the top corners of the set, this TV's picture is just perfection. Roku works much better than Samsung's Tizen, no more locking up and having to reset the TV. I just wish the stand were a little more sturdy. gonna have to find a way to anchor it so my kids don't knock it over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
My guess is that although HDR is initiated on your TV, the menus aren't color graded for HDR, so they look washed out.
That sounds logical.

TCL 55P605
post #5712 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
New settings are much more natural. Past some very minor clouding in the top corners of the set, this TV's picture is just perfection. Roku works much better than Samsung's Tizen, no more locking up and having to reset the TV. I just wish the stand were a little more sturdy. gonna have to find a way to anchor it so my kids don't knock it over.

That sounds logical.
Maybe something like this.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #5713 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The 55P607 was first available from Amazon on May 19, 2017. I don't recall if it was available elsewhere earlier.
Any idea when BestBuy's model hit? I am hoping if it is early enough I may be able to exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Maybe something like this.
Tht's not a bad idea. Amazon has a whole bunch for around $20. Thank's for the tip.

TCL 55P605
post #5714 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Any idea when BestBuy's model hit? I am hoping if it is early enough I may be able to exchange.

It was available at Best Buy at roughly the same time as Amazon. I bought one from Amazon on May 25th, 2017, but it had major screen flaws and I returned it. I then bought one from Best Buy on May 28th.

I would think that unless a retailer has been promised an exclusive sales period that they should be available almost everywhere at the same time.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #5715 of 6434 Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Anyone else noticing that when first powering on the TV sometimes the FALD doesn't start working until you turn it off and turn it back on again? It's pretty annoying
post #5716 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone like using the “Zoom” picture size during movies with black bars? I just started doing it and it’s actually quite enjoyable. Part of the image is cut on the edges but it doesn’t seem to make a huge loss on the overall image.

post #5717 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4971 Post(s)
Liked: 2993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsteebler View Post
Does anyone like using the “Zoom” picture size during movies with black bars? I just started doing it and it’s actually quite enjoyable. Part of the image is cut on the edges but it doesn’t seem to make a huge loss on the overall image.

No. Just you. Personally, I like seeing the entire image and have absolutely no qualms about the black bars. They're there for a reason.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #5718 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
No. Just you. Personally, I like seeing the entire image and have absolutely no qualms about the black bars. They're there for a reason.

While I agree with the first half of your statement, the second part not so much.

They are there because they film in a wider aspect ratio. That is not for a reason IMO it’s strictly because folks can’t get together and agree on one standard.

I dream of a day when I can actually watch all of my movies in full screen again .

IMO they should just always film in 16:9 and make it the standard all around.

I can’t sacrifice missing part of the picture but I would love to have a bigger picture on my screen like when watching natural 16:9 content, rather than the picture only using 2/3 of the screen (and less).

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5719 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
While I agree with the first half of your statement, the second part not so much.

They are there because they film in a wider aspect ratio. That is not for a reason IMO it’s strictly because folks can’t get together and agree on one standard.

I dream of a day when I can actually watch all of my movies in full screen again .

IMO they should just always film in 16:9 and make it the standard all around.

I can’t sacrifice missing part of the picture but I would love to have a bigger picture on my screen like when watching natural 16:9 content, rather than the picture only using 2/3 of the screen (and less).

You need a constant height scope ratio projection screen and projector with zoom memory or even auto scope recognition. Then, you will see movies as they were meant to be seen as in the CinemaScope days of yore.

There is no one ratio "standard" because different movies have different visual aesthetics. Not all painting canvases are the same ratio either.

Cinematographers don't just adhere to the current ratio of a TV and make them all 16x9 because that's how the current HD and UHD displays are sized. They want to not make movies look like a TV show.

post #5720 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Any updates on the xbox one x screen flickering issue?

When i turn the tv and xbox on for the first time in the morning the screen starts flickering and making a loud screech then gooes black and comes back on and flickers again.. To get this to stop i have to go into my xb1 settings, disable hdr, disable 422 and sometimes that works, other times i have to set it to 10Bit or 12Bit and then back to 8bit with hdr and 422 on for it to stop the flickering.. A few times ive had to do a full tv restart for it to stop. Its not flickering on the home screen so its hdmi or console..

I do have a 15 foot hdmi run but the cable was rated for 18gbps( amazon basic 2.0 hdmi) so it *SHOULD* be good enough..

Ive seen a few people have this issue on reddit, but again it could be a console or hdmi issue..
post #5721 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You need a constant height scope ratio projection screen and projector with zoom memory or even auto scope recognition. Then, you will see movies as they were meant to be seen as in the CinemaScope days of yore.

There is no one ratio "standard" because different movies have different visual aesthetics. Not all painting canvases are the same ratio either.

Cinematographers don't just adhere to the current ratio of a TV and make them all 16x9 because that's how the current HD and UHD displays are sized. They want to not make movies look like a TV show.

But IMO they should. We all use 16:9, it is the TV standard and we are their intended audience. If you want to be artistic then that’s fine and for a special audience and they can use special players .

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5722 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASDSucks View Post

When i turn the tv and xbox on for the first time in the morning the screen starts flickering and making a loud screech then gooes black and comes back on and flickers again.. To get this to stop i have to go into my xb1 settings, disable hdr, disable 422 and sometimes that works, other times i have to set it to 10Bit or 12Bit and then back to 8bit with hdr and 422 on for it to stop the flickering.. A few times ive had to do a full tv restart for it to stop. Its not flickering on the home screen so its hdmi or console..

I do have a 15 foot hdmi run but the cable was rated for 18gbps( amazon basic 2.0 hdmi) so it *SHOULD* be good enough..

Ive seen a few people have this issue on reddit, but again it could be a console or hdmi issue..

I haven’t had this issue. I have two Xbox one X’s. My wife and myself. My wife’s is using a 25 for hdmi cable to her TV (runs through the basement and back up). Mine is a 14 foot hdmi cable (Amazon basics high speed) and no issues with flickering on my TCL.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5723 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASDSucks View Post

I started getting this the other day on my vizio p and one x after hooking up the new Belkin 2.1 cable. but after I soft reset the tv haven't seen it since
post #5724 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Loving this TV thus far and the Roku OS is snappy.

Only thing I still see however or horizontal lines when it pans down on something sometimes. What are these?
post #5725 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
But IMO they should. We all use 16:9, it is the TV standard and we are their intended audience. If you want to be artistic then that’s fine and for a special audience and they can use special players .

[heavy sigh]

post #5726 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
[heavy sigh]

Don’t worry I felt the same way reading your comments . That’s why we all have our own opinions

tonyjspr9 likes this.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #5727 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

But we’re not the intended audience; movies are made for the theater, home video is a secondary market.
schmegs likes this.
post #5728 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Loving this TV thus far and the Roku OS is snappy.

Only thing I still see however or horizontal lines when it pans down on something sometimes. What are these?
Just a side effect of lower priced TV's ( sarcasm) .. I see them too

Sony 65inch 900F, Apple TV4k, Xbox one S, sonos 5.1,Marantz pm7000n, kEFLS50
post #5729 of 6434 Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

guessing you're seeing this?

post #5730 of 6434 Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post
Anyone else noticing that when first powering on the TV sometimes the FALD doesn't start working until you turn it off and turn it back on again? It's pretty annoying
No, but I did notice that my picture settings don't effect the menus until I go into something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
guessing you're seeing this?
That looks right.

I have been tinkering a bit more. The Netflix app on the TV will not do 4K/DV for me at all. Highest I have seen it reach is 2K and it never engages the separate HDR settings. On my XB1S I can resolve the menu colors being washed out by going to home and back into the input, but then my content is dimmed by quite a bit. My wireless is strong and the VUDU app plays UHD with no problem at all. I am headed for an exchange soon if I can't resolve it.

TCL 55P605
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page