*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4315Likes

post #6301 of 6343 Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
Is anyone else seeing CEC issues with the 9.1 update? My TV installed it the other day and immediately the next day I notice my receiver isn't receiving the sound signal from the TV over ARC. I check the CEC device list and lo and behold the receiver iss missing. I then have it do a fresh search, it finds the receiver and all is well.

Fast forward to later in the day when the tv is turned back on and the same problem is present. Same steps fix it, but I've now had it happen 4-5 cycles in a row. Figured I'd see if it is a pervasive problem before I do the dreaded TV reset.
my P-Series was updated last week and so far, i've had no issues, CEC or otherwise. my CEC is setup to turn on the receiver with the tv turning on and that works just fine. also, my ARC is problem free; i've streamed everything from stereo to ATMOS (DD+) and it's all perfect.

best of luck getting your issues resolved.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Heard a loud pop last night and tv powered down. No longer turns on or registers it’s plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6303 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkelly2 View Post
Heard a loud pop last night and tv powered down. No longer turns on or registers it’s plugged in.

ok, and......

JK, sounds bad, i'm not sure if it's worth getting it repaired; what you mentioned does not bode well for the tv. did you have any extended warranty on the tv?

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Probably a capacitor within the power supply. I would open it up and look at the caps. Could be an easy fix, worth a shot.

TCL 55P605
XBL & Steam: Atomic TreeDude
post #6305 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
ok, and......

JK, sounds bad, i'm not sure if it's worth getting it repaired; what you mentioned does not bode well for the tv. did you have any extended warranty on the tv?

Just a year

post #6306 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post
Probably a capacitor within the power supply. I would open it up and look at the caps. Could be an easy fix, worth a shot.

That’s what I was thinking. I found a replacement board online for $49 and it looks super easy to replace. So I got that going for me.

post #6307 of 6343 Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just a year

wow, well, you've got some thinking to do. you can either spend a few bucks to find out what's wrong and get an estimate to fix it OR you can buy a new tv; take your pick.

keep us posted what ever you choose to do.

post #6308 of 6343 Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
p607

so my tv experienced the dreaded black screen while powered on and I experienced the lack of customer support......
tv is out of warranty-

is there a common reason for this? mother board or such?

tv had an easy life- rarely used as a tv for the kids.....
post #6309 of 6343 Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
so my tv experienced the dreaded black screen while powered on and I experienced the lack of customer support......
tv is out of warranty-

is there a common reason for this? mother board or such?

tv had an easy life- rarely used as a tv for the kids.....
if the tv was out of warranty, what were you expecting from customer support?

post #6310 of 6343 Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

For me, this TV has become a bit troublesome, more so than any other TV I've owned. Problems seem to be intermittent, usually occurring when Roku or other software updates are applied. After awhile, problems seem to go away mysteriously, but I haven't been able to relate this to changes in the software version installed. For example, I had what I think was the "black screen" problem and documented it here previously. It was happening regularly, now it's happening rarely, and when it does, I can usually work around it with an approach I hit upon by trial and error. I contacted support looking for some explanation and willing to help document my experience, but was greeted with, "Your TV is out of support. Take it to a repair shop."

This TV is more like a phone or computer than a "traditional" dumb TV, or even a "smart" TV from a few years back. A support model is needed that recognizes this. TCL hasn't figured that out yet, and I wonder if other manufacturers of Roku or other "new generation" smart TV's have.

I'm not a technical guy, but I'm guessing the Roku software permeates the TV's functionality and updates to that software end up causing problems that affects the TV's basic functionality. I suspect that the software is not designed to minimize the impact of updates on basic TV functionality. Hence, for example, a bug in a Roku update could prevent us from watching OTA TV. That shouldn't happen.

I'm used to a TV lasting years without problems. At some point, hardware fails and the TV needs to be replaced. It's more complex with this TV, and that complexity contributes to frustration for me. A better support model might reduce some of that frustration.
musicmaniac and JRG440 like this.
post #6311 of 6343 Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_fox View Post
For me, this TV has become a bit troublesome, more so than any other TV I've owned. Problems seem to be intermittent, usually occurring when Roku or other software updates are applied. After awhile, problems seem to go away mysteriously, but I haven't been able to relate this to changes in the software version installed. For example, I had what I think was the "black screen" problem and documented it here previously. It was happening regularly, now it's happening rarely, and when it does, I can usually work around it with an approach I hit upon by trial and error. I contacted support looking for some explanation and willing to help document my experience, but was greeted with, "Your TV is out of support. Take it to a repair shop."

This TV is more like a phone or computer than a "traditional" dumb TV, or even a "smart" TV from a few years back. A support model is needed that recognizes this. TCL hasn't figured that out yet, and I wonder if other manufacturers of Roku or other "new generation" smart TV's have.

I'm not a technical guy, but I'm guessing the Roku software permeates the TV's functionality and updates to that software end up causing problems that affects the TV's basic functionality. I suspect that the software is not designed to minimize the impact of updates on basic TV functionality. Hence, for example, a bug in a Roku update could prevent us from watching OTA TV. That shouldn't happen.

I'm used to a TV lasting years without problems. At some point, hardware fails and the TV needs to be replaced. It's more complex with this TV, and that complexity contributes to frustration for me. A better support model might reduce some of that frustration.
agree-
I will research your trials and errors to see if I can replicate the fix-

we only used the tv without anything ever being plugged into it like gaming or such-
we rarely used it since it was in our spare gathering space and never knowingly updated the Roku.....
post #6312 of 6343 Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
If problems are induced by firmware updates ostensibly recommended and forced by the manufacturer of the TV, I expect them to offer customer support for those problems regardless of warranty status.

Or, at the very least, be transparent about what timeline they will drop support on for each model.

Much like how other computerized devices are usually supported, as has been pointed out.
JRG440 likes this.
post #6313 of 6343 Old 07-29-2019, 12:54 PM

You guys see anything that could be causing my tv to not power on?

post #6314 of 6343 Old 07-31-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
so ever since Roku 9.1 my HDR has been really broken it's super dim On my Xbox One X i've had to turn HDR off on my Xbox. and when playing 4k blu-ray's as well. I did a full factory reset but nothing works. App display Dolby Vision and HDR fine, but not devices the 4k Blu-rays i can get to come up right by switching inputs back and forth also works for my PS4 Pro but not the Xbox.

Everything worked fine before this update.
post #6315 of 6343 Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
If problems are induced by firmware updates ostensibly recommended and forced by the manufacturer of the TV, I expect them to offer customer support for those problems regardless of warranty status.

Or, at the very least, be transparent about what timeline they will drop support on for each model.

Much like how other computerized devices are usually supported, as has been pointed out.
I agree! Used to be you'd buy things that last. Now they send an update, ruin your tv and make you have to buy another.
post #6316 of 6343 Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4638 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post

I agree! Used to be you'd buy things that last. Now they send an update, ruin your tv and make you have to buy another. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]
I know I won't be buying another TCL.
JRG440 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #6317 of 6343 Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSvt2 View Post
so ever since Roku 9.1 my HDR has been really broken it's super dim On my Xbox One X i've had to turn HDR off on my Xbox. and when playing 4k blu-ray's as well. I did a full factory reset but nothing works. App display Dolby Vision and HDR fine, but not devices the 4k Blu-rays i can get to come up right by switching inputs back and forth also works for my PS4 Pro but not the Xbox.

I noticed this with HDR content on my FireTV stick as well. Interestingly enough I’m not seeing that issue with HDR content via the built in Roku apps.

So they’ve either inadvertently busted something relating to HDR content being fed via HDMI inputs. Or they’re intentionally messing around with HDR content that’s originating outside of the Roku walled garden. Would need to see a lot more evidence to assume the latter was true but stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6318 of 6343 Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
I noticed this with HDR content on my FireTV stick as well. Interestingly enough I’m not seeing that issue with HDR content via the built in Roku apps.

So they’ve either inadvertently busted something relating to HDR content being fed via HDMI inputs. Or they’re intentionally messing around with HDR content that’s originating outside of the Roku walled garden. Would need to see a lot more evidence to assume the latter was true but stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HDR in all my apps works fine. It's all my external devices since this update PS4 Pro xbox one X my 4k LG blu-ray player. changed cables bypassed my receiver non of that fixes it. i can change my hdmi on my receiver from one to another and it will trigger proper HDR sometimes. It works perfect in every app and when it does work it looks great it's not triggering properly since 9.1 when using any external device and a full reset hasn't helped.
post #6319 of 6343 Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM

just to update TCL and roku reverted my TV to 9.0 from 9.1 which partially fixed HDR it isn't perfect but better i told them last time it worked flawless was last 8.x OS.
post #6320 of 6343 Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
One issue I have with my TV is when it's hooked up to my PC - sometimes I get a green screen. This usually happens after waking up from sleep. Anyone else encounter this problem???
post #6321 of 6343 Old 08-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello I was curious if anyone knew the default settings for Sdr/HDR for TCL p series. Thanks
post #6322 of 6343 Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
HDR in all my apps works fine. It's all my external devices since this update PS4 Pro xbox one X my 4k LG blu-ray player. changed cables bypassed my receiver non of that fixes it. i can change my hdmi on my receiver from one to another and it will trigger proper HDR sometimes. It works perfect in every app and when it does work it looks great it's not triggering properly since 9.1 when using any external device and a full reset hasn't helped.
So I've been having the same issue as you, but for me I can fix it by quickly going to the Roku home screen and then back to the HDMI input, and it will then display the image at proper brightness. Not sure whether particular devices/receivers have anything to do with it, I'd suspect not since it didn't start happening until OS 9.0+, but for me it consistently happens pretty much every time now, whenever I launch an HDR game on my Xbox One X, which is connected to my Sony receiver, which is connected to the TV's HDMI 3 port. I think on the previous Roku update, it would only occur sometimes, and could be fixed by going to the Xbox home screen then back into whatever game I had launched, but then with the latest Roku update that doesn't work, so I found out I can fix it by going to the Roku home screen then back to HDMI 3.

Try that and let me know if it works for you, I'd be very curious to know if this bug behaves differently for different people.
post #6323 of 6343 Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
So I've been having the same issue as you, but for me I can fix it by quickly going to the Roku home screen and then back to the HDMI input, and it will then display the image at proper brightness. Not sure whether particular devices/receivers have anything to do with it, I'd suspect not since it didn't start happening until OS 9.0+, but for me it consistently happens pretty much every time now, whenever I launch an HDR game on my Xbox One X, which is connected to my Sony receiver, which is connected to the TV's HDMI 3 port. I think on the previous Roku update, it would only occur sometimes, and could be fixed by going to the Xbox home screen then back into whatever game I had launched, but then with the latest Roku update that doesn't work, so I found out I can fix it by going to the Roku home screen then back to HDMI 3.

Try that and let me know if it works for you, I'd be very curious to know if this bug behaves differently for different people.
Roku and TCL are aware and working on a fix in the meantime they rolled me back to 9.0 which at least works just once in a while i have to switch back to dashboard then game on Xbox. And 4k Blu-Rays work almost 100%
jthomp27 likes this.
post #6324 of 6343 Old 09-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have experience getting a white screen when they turn their TV on? I've been getting the white screen attached. The audio is normal when I get the white screen, but obviously no video. If I power it off and back on with the remote I get a black screen with no audio. I then have to pull the plug, power it on, get the black screen, pull the plug, power it on, get the black screen, etc. until it finally works. I usually have to go through 5 powercycles before it works. Haven't contacted support yet, but it's not under warranty so not sure they'll do anything. It's only been happening since 9.1 so not sure if that's pure coincidence. Have tried a hard reset with no change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	987.7 KB
ID:	2610784  
post #6325 of 6343 Old 09-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Just updated my tv to 9.1 and my local dimming is shot now. Is there anyway to fix this issue. I can’t believe I’m out of a tv because of an update...
post #6326 of 6343 Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Nevermind. Factory reset solved issue
post #6327 of 6343 Old 09-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

so, I've seen this (or something like it in name) before, but, always forgot to post it to find out what it was. so, tonight I checked for any updates and I had three, two were for named apps, ShopHQ & DUSTx.

the other simply said "releasing gravity locks". does anyone know what that means, since the tv didn't float away

I've even seen something like that on my 6 series too, it's very quick if you don't look at it as it was only on the screen for like 2-4 seconds then the apps started downloading for updating. I know it's not an app, it must have something to do with either TCL or Roku.

i'm also posting this question in the 6 series thread too.

post #6328 of 6343 Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 857
What's up SD?
According to Roku Forums and the folks on reddit it's just Roku engineers having fun. They also mention "initializing fun" as another possible message we could see.

Oops, just saw your message on the other thread.
solarrdadd likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000

Last edited by bguzman; 09-22-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Derptitude
post #6329 of 6343 Old 09-23-2019, 05:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've had this issue as well multiple times since owning this set. Some firmware updates it's fine, then it's broken again. The way I found to mitigate it is when it goes dim, just select the "Home" button on the RokuTV remote and then select the input your Xbox is one and then the dimming will be gone. At least that's what has worked for me. Your results may vary. Good luck.

Eric Miller - Buffalo, NY
Display: TCL 55P607
Game Console: Sony Playstation 4 Pro and Microsoft Xbox One X
HTPC: Intel NUC w/ Plex Pass
post #6330 of 6343 Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmiller View Post
I've had this issue as well multiple times since owning this set. Some firmware updates it's fine, then it's broken again. The way I found to mitigate it is when it goes dim, just select the "Home" button on the RokuTV remote and then select the input your Xbox is one and then the dimming will be gone. At least that's what has worked for me. Your results may vary. Good luck.
It's quicker to just hit the Xbox button on your controller to go to home screen then resume game once there. But it shouldn't need this as this never happened before Roku OS 9.x.

Still awaiting their fix. It does happen less since they rolled me back to 9.0, 9.1 is completely broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays