*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4327Likes

post #6361 of 6396 Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
here is to hoping it gets resolved before Christmas!
I admire your Christmas optimism!!

If there is an 'easy and quick' resolution to the Disney+ issue, then I think I will have to turn all of my ire and anger to Netflix. If Disney+ ATMOS support is implemented in the near future, then that implies that Netflix is happy to accept my Premium Tier pricing every month and just simply refuses to deliver ATMOS audio support for no good reason. The streaming wars are heating up and there will be winners and losers, but let's hope that the next 2 to 3 years of competition will push all of these providers to UP their Video and Audio support solutions to more capable hardware solutions and stop playing these 'work on a few, but not most' games.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6396 Old 11-29-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Below is a reply from a Roku Community Manager on the Roku support forums about DOLBY ATMOS support for Disney+ on Roku devices.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe.../519874#M21955

I hope the P-Series will eventually support DOLBY ATMOS passthrough with Disney+, Netflix and others. I have only seen DOLBY ATMOS triggered on my Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar connected to a 55P605 Roku TV with the DOLBY ACCESS demo app and with two (2) Prime Video series (Jack Ryan and Carnival Row).
Thanks for sharing the info from the Roku people. I hope Disney+ can deliver on Dolby Atmos. Diensy+ DV content looks amazing on the more recent movies/tv show. I've given up hope that Netflix will deliver Atmos content on many devices. Atmos from them seems reserved for the pricier tv/ streaming boxes (LG oled, AppleTV, Xbox1 x)
post #6363 of 6396 Old 11-29-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
Quote:
Below is a reply from a Roku Community Manager on the Roku support forums about DOLBY ATMOS support for Disney+ on Roku devices.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe.../519874#M21955

I hope the P-Series will eventually support DOLBY ATMOS passthrough with Disney+, Netflix and others. I have only seen DOLBY ATMOS triggered on my Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar connected to a 55P605 Roku TV with the DOLBY ACCESS demo app and with two (2) Prime Video series (Jack Ryan and Carnival Row).
Thanks for sharing the info from the Roku people. I hope Disney+ can deliver on Dolby Atmos. Diensy+ DV content looks amazing on the more recent movies/tv show. I've given up hope that Netflix will deliver Atmos content on many devices. Atmos from them seems reserved for the pricier tv/ streaming boxes (LG oled, AppleTV, Xbox1 x)
It would be even better if they didn't half-ass their Atmos mixes when they do get it working.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 6396 Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
It would be even better if they didn't half-ass their Atmos mixes when they do get it working.
If only Disney could make better audio mixes on their Star Wars/ Marvel home video release. The mediocre audio component was the main reason I didn't buy the last Avengers movie even though the 4k blu ray pack was around $8 at some retailers. I can't believe the dvd version of the Star Wars prequels have better sound mixing than the home video blu rays of Marvel and Star Wars movies.
post #6365 of 6396 Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TCL P-Series 55P607 boots to red TCL screen and then reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSvt2 View Post
just to update TCL and roku reverted my TV to 9.0 from 9.1 which partially fixed HDR it isn't perfect but better i told them last time it worked flawless was last 8.x OS.
I've had the problem for about a week that's all over the internet about these TVs (and other Roku devices and TVs) where the TV boots into a red screen with the words TCL • ROKU - 4k HDR on it. After about a minute or so, it reboots (goes black) into the same screen. There's no way to turn it off (or on) other than unplugging the power cable, or to get it into the main system menu. I've tried all kinds of resets and unfortunately the remote is no longer paired with the TV because I put it into pairing mode while trying to troubleshoot the problem. Similarly, the Roku iOS app is no longer paired.

I know others have seen this problem and I've tried all the methods I found to try and resolve the issue. I'd really like to fix this, but have been looking at TVs from Cyber Monday and Black Friday. Unless I can figure this out, I'll never buy another TCL TV (leaning toward an LG Nanocell 8).

I only use the Roku software to switch HDMI inputs (couple of Macs and an Apple TV 4K) or to Broadcast TV channels via antenna, or to adjust settings on the TV. I use ethernet to connect to the internet and usually leave it unplugged unless I plug it in to check for software updates. I think I'm probably at 9.1 or so, but I might be about 9.2. So far as I know, I don't have the Disney+ app installed in Roku, but I do have it installed on the Apple TV 4K.

First, how does one update the firmware if the TV will not boot up, but just keeps booting and rebooting? Can you put the update on a USB drive and it just automatically updates?

Second, has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it without calling a technician? I didn't buy an extended warranty because the TV is only 22 months old and my Samsung is about 16 years old and my Philips is about 8 years old. I expect TVs to last a while. When I called TCL support, they said to call a technician.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #6366 of 6396 Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
First, how does one update the firmware if the TV will not boot up, but just keeps booting and rebooting? Can you put the update on a USB drive and it just automatically updates?
I have not seen this issue on the three (3) TCL Roku TV's that I have had up and running for the last couple of years.

Below is a link that walks through the process of downloading the latest software to a USB Drive and performing manual update. Not sure how well that will work for you with your current 'boot loop' issue.
https://support.tclusa.com/televisio...ur-tcl-roku-tv

There is a Roku support forum where individual users can post and perhaps encounter others that have had similar issues and their resolutions. Might be worth a browse.
https://community.roku.com/t5/Discus...tv-discussions

post #6367 of 6396 Old 12-02-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Below is a link that walks through the process of downloading the latest software to a USB Drive and performing manual update. Not sure how well that will work for you with your current 'boot loop' issue.
Thanks for the link. I went through that process, downloaded the software update, put it on a FAT-32 formatted USB drive, and it was still unsuccessful. I tried a couple of different thumb drives, but never got past the red screen before it rebooted. Supposedly, there's a number that should appear before it starts the update, but I never see anything but the red screen.

I heard back from TCL and their suggestion was a reset and unplugging power — all of which I'd done multiple times in the last week. They actually said there's no way to update from a USB drive, but I just don't think they know what they're doing. I haven't heard back from the DM I sent to Roku yet, but there's a five page thread on this topic (plus other threads involving other brands and stand along Roku devices): TCL Roku TV keeps rebooting (unusable).

The parts didn't seem all that expensive, but a tech would probably cost me about $200, nearly half of what a replacement TV would cost.

Again, thanks. I guess I'll order other non-Roku set and decide what to do with this piece of junk.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #6368 of 6396 Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Since the 9.2 Build 4501-30 update, my 55P605 has been frequently locking up when selecting the PlayStation input. Symptom is I can hear the PlayStation, but only the PS icon shows on the screen. It does not respond to any commands on the remote. Fix is to unplug AC.

It also locks up when changing OTA channels, although much less frequently. Power cycling via remote won't fix it; only physically unplugging the TV will restore it. Not once did my TV lockup until the November update, and now it happens multiple times a day, depending on what I'm doing.

I also have severe audio synchronization problems when streaming, but it's worst with OTA broadcasts. There's a marked delay when the lips move and dialog is heard, regardless of the audio setting (night, leveling, off, etc.) over the TV's speakers or home theater regardless of input, even happening with the USB input. Cold-booting usually temporally fixes the audio-sync problem, but not always on the first attempt.

The frequent audio problem began after a summer 2019 update, and the locking up problem began after the last November update. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, the Disney+ Dolby Vision content is much too dark. Is that something I can fix? I don't see any adjustments for Dolby Vision.

Thanks,
Dennis

;
post #6369 of 6396 Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den24601 View Post
Also, the Disney+ Dolby Vision content is much too dark. Is that something I can fix? I don't see any adjustments for Dolby Vision.
I would suggest the following when playing DOLBY VISION content that you find too dark.

While DOLBY VISION content is playing the following adjustments may help to brighten up the picture without losing the contrast and detail:
  1. Picture Mode: Select BRIGHT DOLBY VISION
  2. TV Brightness: Try BRIGHT and/or BRIGHTER

Another place to adjust DOLBY VISION is with the Roku app and the GAMMA setting. DOLBY VISION content must be running to gain access to GAMMA setting. Typically the default is set to 2.2, but I find adjusting this to 1.8 for DOLBY VISION content does help combat a too dark picture. GAMMA setting can be found in the Roku app when you select SETTINGS -- EXPERT PICTURE SETTINGS.

post #6370 of 6396 Old 12-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:

The frequent audio problem began after a summer 2019 update, and the locking up problem began after the last November update. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
Dennis

;
Here's another way to remedy the darkness issue on Disney+
go to "Picture Settings" and adjust the "Brightness" settings. I normally have mine at 50, but had to increase it to 53 on the Mandalorian.

As for the rest of your problems, I've never ran across those on my P605 (and I have Ps4 Pro, PS3, and xbox 360 connected). I had minor problems that came with the November update. It was gone by two weeks or less.
post #6371 of 6396 Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well my 55p605 died today. Backlight comes on and I can hear that the OS loaded but no picture. Tried pulling power and doing a factory reset with no luck. I bought it in May of 2018 so no warranty anymore. I’ll likely try to replace the video control board but the wife didn’t want to wait for me to fiddle so I found a refurbished 55p617 for $350 and bought it. I’ll tinker with the old one after the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCL 55P605
XBL & Steam: Atomic TreeDude
post #6372 of 6396 Old 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never was able to get mine to boot past the red screen after many hours of troubleshooting and research. I'd still like to resolve the problem as I can always use a TV in another room, but I've given up for now. If I knew what part to buy, I'd do it.

Instead, I bought an LG Nano 8 and am surprised at how much better it works with my Apple TV's Dolby Vision, HDR and HomeKit. I'm very pleased with it and the cost was about the same as the TCL I bought in January 2018.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #6373 of 6396 Old 12-19-2019, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
Here's another way to remedy the darkness issue on Disney+
go to "Picture Settings" and adjust the "Brightness" settings. I normally have mine at 50, but had to increase it to 53 on the Mandalorian.

As for the rest of your problems, I've never ran across those on my P605 (and I have Ps4 Pro, PS3, and xbox 360 connected). I had minor problems that came with the November update. It was gone by two weeks or less.
Thanks for the suggestions. My DV gamma was set to 2.4 so changing to 2.2 helped.

The most recent update, 9.2.0 build 4502-30 of December 13, may have improved the locking up issue when selecting inputs (antenna, PlayStation, DVD, etc). The voice synchronization issues are still there, but perhaps not as frequent.

Thanks,

Dennis
post #6374 of 6396 Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. My DV gamma was set to 2.4 so changing to 2.2 helped.
That would make a difference on DV content. I moved GAMMA to 1.8 for DV and find it acceptable. You can also try adjusting LOCAL CONTRAST in PICTURE SETTINGS as another tweak for DV content. I have it set for HIGH on most inputs and for SDR and HDR content, but find that just tweaking it down to MED will lessen the darkness in DV content without losing the darker blacks that you want when the video requires it. I also find that setting it to MED on DV content does seem to mitigate the 'blooming effect' you can get on some scenes when there are really bright and really dark sections on the screen or when transitioning from dark to light scenes.

post #6375 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A question about my 55p607 has to do with picture upscale as I don't have that much of an understanding of this ability or how it works. I have a Dishtv box (Hopper) running to the tv set via hdmi. The box is sending 1080i to the tv. Is the tv then upscaling that picture to 4k? The tv shows the input as 1080i so I know that is what the tv is receiving. I suppose if I hooked up a blu ray player the tv input would show 1080p but I am wondering if all signals going to the tcl tv are upscaled to 4k?

shortspark
post #6376 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Yes to both

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps, ATV4K 32gb
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #6377 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes to both
Thanks, I've also been doing some checking other places. It seems all sets that upscale do so automatically, by default. I've read that if 4K sets do not upscale, everything fed to it other than 4K would have bars around the picture. By upscalling all the pixels are used and the screen is full with the picture. I was not aware of that.

Now I have another question along these same lines. My Yamaha receiver acts as my hdmi switch center. One of the inputs to it is my Dishtv box and the output goes to my tcl. In reading the Yamaha manual it states that the receiver upscales the signal to 4K. So it looks like that is not really necessary since the tv does it. Does it hurt or make any difference to have the 1080i signal coming from the Dishtv box upconverted to 4K twice, once by the Yamaha and then again by the tcl?

shortspark
post #6378 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Thanks, I've also been doing some checking other places. It seems all sets that upscale do so automatically, by default. I've read that if 4K sets do not upscale, everything fed to it other than 4K would have bars around the picture. By upscalling all the pixels are used and the screen is full with the picture. I was not aware of that.

Now I have another question along these same lines. My Yamaha receiver acts as my hdmi switch center. One of the inputs to it is my Dishtv box and the output goes to my tcl. In reading the Yamaha manual it states that the receiver upscales the signal to 4K. So it looks like that is not really necessary since the tv does it. Does it hurt or make any difference to have the 1080i signal coming from the Dishtv box upconverted to 4K twice, once by the Yamaha and then again by the tcl?
when on the input that your receiver is on, if it doesn't say that input is sending 4k, then it (the receiver) is not up-scaling; that's how you will know.

it's not up-scaling it twice. if it is being sent a 4k signal, it is untouched per say, if it's being sent a lower resolution, it is up-scaled.

for more detailed info on what your receiver does or doesn't do, you should post about that in a Yamaha thread.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
post #6379 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
The tv shows the input as 1080i so I know that is what the tv is receiving.
How do you get the TCL to show the input resolution?
post #6380 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
How do you get the TCL to show the input resolution?
only when using selected, active HDMI inputs, press the OK button and it will show at the bottom of the screen.

post #6381 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
only when using selected, active HDMI inputs, press the OK button and it will show at the bottom of the screen.
Thanks.
solarrdadd likes this.
post #6382 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Thanks.
perhaps, one day, in the future, if we are lucky, they will find a way to allow us to get resolution info on apps streaming internally. i know that is a feature many of us wish for, to see what we are actually getting from those streaming apps.

post #6383 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
perhaps, one day, in the future, if we are lucky, they will find a way to allow us to get resolution info on apps streaming internally. i know that is a feature many of us wish for, to see what we are actually getting from those streaming apps.
One of the more frustrating things with Roku TV and using the internal apps. Not much in the way of video and audio on-screen information. You can 'accidentally' turn on info for Netflix, Prime Video at least shows video info. At least these two provide video and audio supported info on their detail screens. HULU does neither. No idea what they support. No idea what they are streaming to us. They recently released a press release touting that they now support 4K and 5.1 audio on the Roku platform. You have to read further along to finally get an admission that 4K and 5.1 audio are limited to a handful of HULU Originals without any actual list of what is available. A cynic would say that limited video and audio information on-screen from internal apps is by design. We can't complain too much if we aren't even sure what we are receiving.

post #6384 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One of the more frustrating things with Roku TV and using the internal apps. Not much in the way of video and audio on-screen information. You can 'accidentally' turn on info for Netflix, Prime Video at least shows video info. At least these two provide video and audio supported info on their detail screens. HULU does neither. No idea what they support. No idea what they are streaming to us. They recently released a press release touting that they now support 4K and 5.1 audio on the Roku platform. You have to read further along to finally get an admission that 4K and 5.1 audio are limited to a handful of HULU Originals without any actual list of what is available. A cynic would say that limited video and audio information on-screen from internal apps is by design. We can't complain too much if we aren't even sure what we are receiving.
hence the complaining!
bguzman and blade005 like this.

post #6385 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
hence the complaining!
LOL. So true. But we are left to 'generic' complaints. I think they prefer it that way. We can't 'nail them' to anything specific. Just a general lack of transparency.

For what it is worth I did login to the HULU community forum and posted under the IDEAS section that they need to step up their video and audio information game to at least provide the information on detail screens as their competitors Netflix, Prime Video, VUDU and their own sister-site Disney+ do. It will likely amount to very little, but I felt better right after that I at least put my complaint out their in the echo chamber!!

post #6386 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well this is surprising. As I mentioned before when talking about my Yamaha upscaling the signal, I notice the input to the tcl tv coming from my Dishtv box through the Yamaha A/V receiver is 1080i. But that was when the signal was passed through the receiver, in other words the receiver was off and the signal from the Dishtv box was not processed at all and simply passed through to the tv. But when the receiver is on, the Yamaha must upscale to 1080p because that is what the tcl shows is being fed to it. Pass through must show only the native signal from the Dish box which is 1080i and when the Yamaha is turned on, it upconverts to 1080p but not to 4K, which the manual says it is capable of doing. Like someone said above, I think I better go to the a/v receiver section of the forum to read up and try to figure this out because clearly all this has to do with my a/v receiver's processing rather than the tcl.

shortspark
post #6387 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Well this is surprising. As I mentioned before when talking about my Yamaha upscaling the signal, I notice the input to the tcl tv coming from my Dishtv box through the Yamaha A/V receiver is 1080i. But that was when the signal was passed through the receiver, in other words the receiver was off and the signal from the Dishtv box was not processed at all and simply passed through to the tv. But when the receiver is on, the Yamaha must upscale to 1080p because that is what the tcl shows is being fed to it. Pass through must show only the native signal from the Dish box which is 1080i and when the Yamaha is turned on, it upconverts to 1080p but not to 4K, which the manual says it is capable of doing. Like someone said above, I think I better go to the a/v receiver section of the forum to read up and try to figure this out because clearly all this has to do with my a/v receiver's processing rather than the tcl.
Turn off the video processing in the receiver and let the TV uprez the signal to 4k.

And yes, a 4k TV wants to use a 4k signal (native or scaled), or the image won't fit within the borders of the TV's panel. There's a different pixel count.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #6388 of 6396 Old 12-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Turn off the video processing in the receiver and let the TV uprez the signal to 4k.

And yes, a 4k TV wants to use a 4k signal (native or scaled), or the image won't fit within the borders of the TV's panel. There's a different pixel count.
Good idea, thanks, I will try that.

shortspark
post #6389 of 6396 Old 12-21-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
I hoping to get some confirmation on what I’m seeing when playing Disney+ on the internal app. When I checked today The Mandalorian, as well as other Star Wars movies, are showing 5.1 DD+ on the information screen of my AVR and also lighting up all of my Atmos speakers. Anybody else observing this? I have confirmed that I am in Direct mode and not applying any of the up mixing features.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX 701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #6390 of 6396 Old 12-21-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
I hoping to get some confirmation on what I’m seeing when playing Disney+ on the internal app. When I checked today The Mandalorian, as well as other Star Wars movies, are showing 5.1 DD+ on the information screen of my AVR and also lighting up all of my Atmos speakers. Anybody else observing this? I have confirmed that I am in Direct mode and not applying any of the up mixing features.
How does your AVR report Netflix or Vudu ATMOS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page