*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #6361 of 6367 Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
here is to hoping it gets resolved before Christmas!
I admire your Christmas optimism!!

If there is an 'easy and quick' resolution to the Disney+ issue, then I think I will have to turn all of my ire and anger to Netflix. If Disney+ ATMOS support is implemented in the near future, then that implies that Netflix is happy to accept my Premium Tier pricing every month and just simply refuses to deliver ATMOS audio support for no good reason. The streaming wars are heating up and there will be winners and losers, but let's hope that the next 2 to 3 years of competition will push all of these providers to UP their Video and Audio support solutions to more capable hardware solutions and stop playing these 'work on a few, but not most' games.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6367 Old 11-29-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Below is a reply from a Roku Community Manager on the Roku support forums about DOLBY ATMOS support for Disney+ on Roku devices.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe.../519874#M21955

I hope the P-Series will eventually support DOLBY ATMOS passthrough with Disney+, Netflix and others. I have only seen DOLBY ATMOS triggered on my Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar connected to a 55P605 Roku TV with the DOLBY ACCESS demo app and with two (2) Prime Video series (Jack Ryan and Carnival Row).
Thanks for sharing the info from the Roku people. I hope Disney+ can deliver on Dolby Atmos. Diensy+ DV content looks amazing on the more recent movies/tv show. I've given up hope that Netflix will deliver Atmos content on many devices. Atmos from them seems reserved for the pricier tv/ streaming boxes (LG oled, AppleTV, Xbox1 x)
post #6363 of 6367 Old 11-29-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4734 Post(s)
Liked: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
Quote:
Below is a reply from a Roku Community Manager on the Roku support forums about DOLBY ATMOS support for Disney+ on Roku devices.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe.../519874#M21955

I hope the P-Series will eventually support DOLBY ATMOS passthrough with Disney+, Netflix and others. I have only seen DOLBY ATMOS triggered on my Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar connected to a 55P605 Roku TV with the DOLBY ACCESS demo app and with two (2) Prime Video series (Jack Ryan and Carnival Row).
Thanks for sharing the info from the Roku people. I hope Disney+ can deliver on Dolby Atmos. Diensy+ DV content looks amazing on the more recent movies/tv show. I've given up hope that Netflix will deliver Atmos content on many devices. Atmos from them seems reserved for the pricier tv/ streaming boxes (LG oled, AppleTV, Xbox1 x)
It would be even better if they didn't half-ass their Atmos mixes when they do get it working.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 6367 Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
It would be even better if they didn't half-ass their Atmos mixes when they do get it working.
If only Disney could make better audio mixes on their Star Wars/ Marvel home video release. The mediocre audio component was the main reason I didn't buy the last Avengers movie even though the 4k blu ray pack was around $8 at some retailers. I can't believe the dvd version of the Star Wars prequels have better sound mixing than the home video blu rays of Marvel and Star Wars movies.
post #6365 of 6367 Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TCL P-Series 55P607 boots to red TCL screen and then reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSvt2 View Post
just to update TCL and roku reverted my TV to 9.0 from 9.1 which partially fixed HDR it isn't perfect but better i told them last time it worked flawless was last 8.x OS.
I've had the problem for about a week that's all over the internet about these TVs (and other Roku devices and TVs) where the TV boots into a red screen with the words TCL • ROKU - 4k HDR on it. After about a minute or so, it reboots (goes black) into the same screen. There's no way to turn it off (or on) other than unplugging the power cable, or to get it into the main system menu. I've tried all kinds of resets and unfortunately the remote is no longer paired with the TV because I put it into pairing mode while trying to troubleshoot the problem. Similarly, the Roku iOS app is no longer paired.

I know others have seen this problem and I've tried all the methods I found to try and resolve the issue. I'd really like to fix this, but have been looking at TVs from Cyber Monday and Black Friday. Unless I can figure this out, I'll never buy another TCL TV (leaning toward an LG Nanocell 8).

I only use the Roku software to switch HDMI inputs (couple of Macs and an Apple TV 4K) or to Broadcast TV channels via antenna, or to adjust settings on the TV. I use ethernet to connect to the internet and usually leave it unplugged unless I plug it in to check for software updates. I think I'm probably at 9.1 or so, but I might be about 9.2. So far as I know, I don't have the Disney+ app installed in Roku, but I do have it installed on the Apple TV 4K.

First, how does one update the firmware if the TV will not boot up, but just keeps booting and rebooting? Can you put the update on a USB drive and it just automatically updates?

Second, has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it without calling a technician? I didn't buy an extended warranty because the TV is only 22 months old and my Samsung is about 16 years old and my Philips is about 8 years old. I expect TVs to last a while. When I called TCL support, they said to call a technician.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #6366 of 6367 Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
First, how does one update the firmware if the TV will not boot up, but just keeps booting and rebooting? Can you put the update on a USB drive and it just automatically updates?
I have not seen this issue on the three (3) TCL Roku TV's that I have had up and running for the last couple of years.

Below is a link that walks through the process of downloading the latest software to a USB Drive and performing manual update. Not sure how well that will work for you with your current 'boot loop' issue.
https://support.tclusa.com/televisio...ur-tcl-roku-tv

There is a Roku support forum where individual users can post and perhaps encounter others that have had similar issues and their resolutions. Might be worth a browse.
https://community.roku.com/t5/Discus...tv-discussions

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
post #6367 of 6367 Old 12-02-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Below is a link that walks through the process of downloading the latest software to a USB Drive and performing manual update. Not sure how well that will work for you with your current 'boot loop' issue.
Thanks for the link. I went through that process, downloaded the software update, put it on a FAT-32 formatted USB drive, and it was still unsuccessful. I tried a couple of different thumb drives, but never got past the red screen before it rebooted. Supposedly, there's a number that should appear before it starts the update, but I never see anything but the red screen.

I heard back from TCL and their suggestion was a reset and unplugging power — all of which I'd done multiple times in the last week. They actually said there's no way to update from a USB drive, but I just don't think they know what they're doing. I haven't heard back from the DM I sent to Roku yet, but there's a five page thread on this topic (plus other threads involving other brands and stand along Roku devices): TCL Roku TV keeps rebooting (unusable).

The parts didn't seem all that expensive, but a tech would probably cost me about $200, nearly half of what a replacement TV would cost.

Again, thanks. I guess I'll order other non-Roku set and decide what to do with this piece of junk.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page