*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4309Likes

post #691 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by St0chastic View Post
Hi all,

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this question seeing as this is an owner's thread, but I don't want to clutter the forums with a new topic.

Best Buy lists a 50-inch model (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-49-c...?skuId=5878701) for $380. If this provides comparable image quality to the 55 inch model, this might be an even better value. Thoughts? Is there any info on the 50-inch set?
That is the S405.
It's a 49", doesn't have FALD, doesn't have WCG, doesn't support Dolby Vision, most likely doesn't reach anywhere near 700 nits.
These sets aren't really comparable.
cah95046, theboomr and Tiger-Bake like this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Best Buy did not get the ones in Monday here they stated they would, now are telling me Thursday. That is okay as I am sticking with the one from Amazon right now and doing a little testing. I forsee some firmware upgrades coming our way that could make this set any better.
BB just rolled back my delivery from the 24th to the 27th. UPS picked up my bad one at 7:45 last night. So it's not available to play around with anymore.
theboomr likes this.
post #693 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
If you have the ability to change the setting (Low, Medium High). If its greyed out its not on and Dynamic Contrast is adjustable instead.
Oh, I was thinking people were just judging with their eyes. Good to know there's an objective way to tell.

After all it should be a noticeable PQ difference, right?

This kinda reminds of when video games run at native 1080P or not and people cant tell unless the developer says it lol, or input lag is kinda the same way, everybody claims they can tell but I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
Not sure about anyone trying one, but your question was already answered about the differences:
the blurb mentions slight cosmetic differences however the best buy image looks identical, cosmetically, to the 55p607 as far as i can tell, wonder what the cosmetic differences actually are, if the screen was anti-glare, that would be a considerable difference imo... had grown so used to the anti-glare screen of my replaced samsung lnt, loved the screen, and really wished/hoped the tcl screen would be close, but alas... looked around for some remedies but the best i could find was a film similar to protection screens used for smart phones and tablets, but they look like a pain to apply and run $140+... also came across an ancient "as seen on tv" ad for an aerosol ant-glare product for tv screens, the ad is a hoot, it was apparently available on amazon at one time but no longer, looked like a mess in a can waiting to happen... perhaps extreme patience, elbow grease, and ultra fine sanding paper? anyone wanna be a guinea pig?
post #695 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzmetcalf View Post
Phfinman, this is revelatory to me.

Are you saying that existing coax cabling could (I guess with the proper terminators) stand in for HDMI? I ask because we remodeled our home in 1999 with the cutting edge of technology (at least to us): Cat 5e cable. There's a hub in the basement coming in from the phone company, then it goes out to multiple rooms throughout the home. If I could use that system to distribute HDMI, it would be really excellent. Can you point me to a primer? Thanks.
There are plenty of companies making HDMI over Cat5/5e/6 adapters. There is no standard to the tech however, so each implementation is proprietary. Some require dual cables, others are able to use a single run. All are going to be constrained by distance - ie - 4k at 100ft and 1080p at 200ft. A quick search of the interwebs brings up lots of options.

Most are designed for a point to point solution. If your hub is from 1999 it most likely is not going to handle this type of traffic, from both a simple bandwidth consideration to collision/CRC check errors - especially if it is a legacy dumb hub and not a true layer 2 switch. Best to disconnect the intended endpoint from the hub and route from the HDMI source directly, even if you have to bridge the cabling with a female/female coupler.

Last edited by tsax6010; 06-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #696 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky974 View Post
Oh, I was thinking people were just judging with their eyes. Good to know there's an objective way to tell.

After all it should be a noticeable PQ difference, right?

This kinda reminds of when video games run at native 1080P or not and people cant tell unless the developer says it lol, or input lag is kinda the same way, everybody claims they can tell but I doubt it.
You can 100% tell the difference, especially with blacks. While on the Destiny black loading screen, I turned game mode on/off and it was not quite night/day difference but definitely noticeable. You can just tell by the FALD on/off pics earlier in this thread how noticeable it'd be. Input lag is the key though for gaming. Right now with game mode off, input lag is in the 50-60ms range, nowhere near acceptable for even somewhat competitive multiplayer. Game mode on, according to reviews, gets it down to the teens. TCL adds FALD into that equation without disrupting input lag and you've got a home run gaming tv.
theboomr likes this.
post #697 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
the blurb mentions slight cosmetic differences however the best buy image looks identical, cosmetically, to the 55p607 as far as i can tell, wonder what the cosmetic differences actually are
I think it might be the gunmetal chrome accents, I don't see anything like that on my 607 (unless its just for the feet that I didn't unwrap or well hidden on the sides behind the protective film I didn't remove. It's possible those are just stock photos and not of the actual unit.
theboomr likes this.
post #698 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
BB just rolled back my delivery from the 24th to the 27th. UPS picked up my bad one at 7:45 last night. So it's not available to play around with anymore.
I'm also set for delivery on the 27th. I called BB to see if I could speed it up. The CSR checked and said it was being transferred from a distant warehouse to my local store and that was the reason for the delay. I'm thinking they may only make once a week deliveries to local stores of large items like this.

If you have one of their big warehouses near you it appears you may be able to pick it up today.

For example:

VDDC 75 DALLAS WAREHOUSE [it's actually in the Dallas suburb of Flower Mound]
Available Today - ready in 1 hour

I'm not close enough to Dallas to make it worthwhile but they are there. It bugs me that I could have it in 1 hour at the warehouse but I have to wait 8 days for it to make it to my local store that's only 100 miles away.

The other major warehouses seem to be in Perth Amboy, NJ, Chino, CA, Elkridge, MD, and Buford, GA. If you're on the 55p605 page, click on "check nearby stores" and keep scrolling down the list of stores until it reaches the nearest warehouse to you.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #699 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone else care to share their settings? Having trouble dialing in the brightness. I like having the TV Brightness set to "Brighter" but feel like it may be too bright for dark scenes.
post #700 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
I think it might be the gunmetal chrome accents, I don't see anything like that on my 607 (unless its just for the feet that I didn't unwrap or well hidden on the sides behind the protective film I didn't remove. It's possible those are just stock photos and not of the actual unit.
mine has gunmetal chrome accents on the left and right, fitted on top of the glossy black bezel, yours doesn't?
post #701 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 PM
SCK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boyer View Post
Anyone else care to share their settings? Having trouble dialing in the brightness. I like having the TV Brightness set to "Brighter" but feel like it may be too bright for dark scenes.
I'd also be curious what settings people are using. Are people messing with the tint at all?

I've been watching most content in movie mode with brightness set to dark at night and for daytime viewing I've just been using vivid mode and the brightest setting.
post #702 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I mentioned this several pages back but no one commented on it.

The amount of clouding/flashlighting/bleed, whatever you want to call it, that my set has doesn't bother me. I only notice it on menu/loading screens and as someone pointed out that's because the FALD isn't active in those situations.

The one thing that is bothering me are the corners, which are all noticeable darker for ~1.5-2inches in from the bezel. This is something I can notice on all content (except if there are letterboxes). If you look sideways at the edges of the screen, the corners are all pulled back slightly. I'm not sure if it's due to screws being too tight, but this angling of the screen certainly seems to be the cause of the dark corners (and possibly the "bleed" as well).

Has anyone else noticed this on their sets? From some of the photos people have posted it looks to me like others have the same issue.

I've been considering loosening the screws on the back of the panel to see if that has any impact, but unfortunately there are only screws on the bottom and even those might only be holding the rear casing in place.
post #703 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass71 View Post
DirecTV subscribers - Is anyone else having problems with channel 106? I get static and have to click the home button and then click back into the sat input in order for the view the channel. DTV replaced the box, coax and hdmi cable to no avail.
I contacted TCL about this, and just got this response.

Hi Rich,

In testing, we were able to see the same issue, and resolve it by changing the HDMI mode from Auto to 2.0. I would like to know what model receiver you have, so I can pass on this information to our engineers at Roku for further testing. If there's an adapter that was needed, please also include that information as well.

Thanks!

Larry Ayonn | Technical Support Engineer
TCL North America
|e: [email protected]
|w: www.tclusa.com | t: @tcl _USA
theboomr and Seabass71 like this.
post #704 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post

The amount of clouding/flashlighting/bleed, whatever you want to call it, that my set has doesn't bother me. I only notice it on menu/loading screens and as someone pointed out that's because the FALD isn't active in those situations.

The one thing that is bothering me are the corners, which are all noticeable darker for ~1.5-2inches in from the bezel. This is something I can notice on all content (except if there are letterboxes). If you look sideways at the edges of the screen, the corners are all pulled back slightly. I'm not sure if it's due to screws being too tight, but this angling of the screen certainly seems to be the cause of the dark corners (and possibly the "bleed" as well).

Has anyone else noticed this on their sets? From some of the photos people have posted it looks to me like others have the same issue.

I've been considering loosening the screws on the back of the panel to see if that has any impact, but unfortunately there are only screws on the bottom and even those might only be holding the rear casing in place.
i don't have the problem you mentioned but there may be screws hidden below the left/right chrome accents which hold the screen in place, i.e. which hold the bezel together and in turn hold the screen in place, not positive tho, and have no idea how to pop off the accents... if you decide to venture down this road let me know, because i want to see if the acrylic screen is removable...
post #705 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
OK, so even though the video says "HDR", the "HDR" logo never pops up when played with Roku youtube app or Shield youtube app.

So it seems that roku and shield youtube apps do not support HDR content at the moment.
Plenty of YouTube videos make the HDR logo pop up.. That video just must not actually have HDR
post #706 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I am considering this TV but what is the difference between the 55P607 (mentioned in OP and thread title) and the Best Buy model 55P605?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #707 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
mine has gunmetal chrome accents on the left and right, fitted on top of the glossy black bezel, yours doesn't?
Thank you, I just checked and mine does have that hidden beneath the bubbling protective tape so hard to spot. Just wasn't sure about the 607 since it isn't referenced anywhere by Amazon but BB clearly states it in the title.

I'm wondering if the 605 has a more prominent IR receiver or something since the remote is IR vs wireless like the 607.

Last edited by jakejm79; 06-20-2017 at 01:20 PM.
post #708 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I am considering this TV but what is the difference between the 55P607 (mentioned in OP and thread title) and the Best Buy model 55P605?
Posted this yesterday, but I'll repost for you and anyone else who didn't see it.

Well I guess this answers my question about the differences between the P607 and Best Buy specific P605. From the TCL USA Twitter account:

"There slight cosmetic differences, as well as the remote but the TV functions and settings are the same."

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/876834537585614849
Bob Coxner and theboomr like this.
post #709 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Has anyone noticed the remote control going haywire?

Mine sometimes starts repeating the last command and doesn't come out of it till I reboot it.
post #710 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Has anyone noticed the remote control going haywire?

Mine sometimes starts repeating the last command and doesn't come out of it till I reboot it.
YES

It's done this to me several times. I'll hit the down arrow, it goes down twice. I hit up, it goes up twice. Very annoying.
post #711 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Yeah I've noticed this on my set as well (along with the backlight bleed). It hasn't been enough to annoy me, but I am interested if there's a fix.
post #712 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
YES

It's done this to me several times. I'll hit the down arrow, it goes down twice. I hit up, it goes up twice. Very annoying.
hah, yours is better, mine just keeps on repeating it.

So, who do I talk to get a replacement remote?
post #713 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
I contacted TCL about this, and just got this response.

Hi Rich,

In testing, we were able to see the same issue, and resolve it by changing the HDMI mode from Auto to 2.0. I would like to know what model receiver you have, so I can pass on this information to our engineers at Roku for further testing. If there's an adapter that was needed, please also include that information as well.

Thanks!

Larry Ayonn | Technical Support Engineer
TCL North America
|e: [email protected]
|w: www.tclusa.com | t: @tcl _USA
Nice to hear TCL is being proactive with customer support like this!
post #714 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
hah, yours is better, mine just keeps on repeating it.

So, who do I talk to get a replacement remote?
if you are using wireless, i had problems using a roku ultra with harmony wireless and had the same problem until i switched it to rf. then had no more problems, but mine was on a sony xbr-65x850c
post #715 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
Been following these threads, but didn't see any mention. Does anybody know if Costco will be reselling this set? I see they have the 55S, but nothing listed on their site for the 55P. Bummed the Amazon price went up. I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but am not going to pay list price.

Someone posted last week on either this thread or the original one that they received a tweet from TCL that said it would be available at Best Buy, Costco, and maybe another retailer. I didn't look back through to find it. I have it on order from Best Buy, though would prefer Costco due to their longer return policy and warranty.
theboomr likes this.
post #716 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsax6010 View Post
There are plenty of companies making HDMI over Cat5/5e/6 adapters. There is no standard to the tech however, so each implementation is proprietary. Some require dual cables, others are able to use a single run. All are going to be constrained by distance - ie - 4k at 100ft and 1080p at 200ft. A quick search of the interwebs brings up lots of options.

Most are designed for a point to point solution. If your hub is from 1999 it most likely is not going to handle this type of traffic, from both a simple bandwidth consideration to collision/CRC check errors - especially if it is a legacy dumb hub and not a true layer 2 switch. Best to disconnect the intended endpoint from the hub and route from the HDMI source directly, even if you have to bridge the cabling with a female/female coupler.
I did a little searching today and, yes, there are options. The concept (in 1999) was to bring cable into the home and then split it out to various rooms via a powered splitter in the basement. This even worked! We were smart about cabling the house, not so smart about which cable to use. I could, of course, hire an electrician to pull out the old cable and pull in new HDMI cable. I wonder if I could even do it myself. The cables are running through romex, I think. The run would be about 50 feet, so that's not so bad, but I've never pulled wire before. If I don't replace the cable, I would definitely take out the splitter and just join the two runs with a coupler as you recommend.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #717 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Posted this yesterday, but I'll repost for you and anyone else who didn't see it.

Well I guess this answers my question about the differences between the P607 and Best Buy specific P605. From the TCL USA Twitter account:

"There slight cosmetic differences, as well as the remote but the TV functions and settings are the same."

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/876834537585614849
Does anyone know how the remote differs?
post #718 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aosmer View Post
Yeah I've noticed this on my set as well (along with the backlight bleed). It hasn't been enough to annoy me, but I am interested if there's a fix.
I have noticed this exact same thing. I seem to have significant "clouding" or whatever it is in the corners. It goes away with FALD on and I don't really notice it during video but it does seem to sort of washout the red in the corners of the roku home page,etc.

What I do notice, especially on white backgrounds, etc. is the dark corners. I still have the 17th to decide if I am returning it to Amazon. I am considering purchasing one at BB to see if there is a noticeable improvement. This is the first "real" TV I have had in years so am blown away for the most part. I am just trying to decide if I can live with the issues in the corners. I wish I could see more examples of people who don't have this issue. It is hard to decide what to do.
10aosmer and theboomr like this.
post #719 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by St0chastic View Post
Does anyone know how the remote differs?
The remote for the BB version does not have voice search or a headphone jack.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the BB version will work with an advanced remote if you purchase it separately? I actually like the voice search a lot and would want to get the better remote if I end up replacing my unit with one from BB.
theboomr likes this.
post #720 of 6309 Old 06-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Mulling over convoluted plans to replace home wiring, I started to wonder about cutting the cord. I found I could replace my current skinny bundle (Dish Network Welcome Pack, DVR fee, and Showtime = $43/month) with SlingTV Orange, Showtime, and Cloud DVR for $40/month. And everything would work through the Roku interface so smoothly.

Has anyone set up this (or another network streaming option) on their new TCL or previous TV? Any thoughts on streaming vs satellite PQ or other factors to consider? It seems I have become a PQ snob this week!

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page