*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4313Likes

post #751 of 6326 Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
To me biggest weakness is too much glare

For my viewing environment (normal to dim room lighting) the biggest weakness is the only average anti glare capabilities of the tv. With better than average native CR and a FALD it is really a shame that more attention wasn't paid to reducing screen reflections.

What to do?

First step. I installed a bind over a window in the back of the room that was illuminating walls that could easily be seen when looking at the tv.

Second. Since light coming from the tv is polarized (that's how LCDs work), I obtained a pair of polarizing sun glasses and tested the effect of looking at the TV through the sunglasses. Yes indeed, the light leaving the tv is polarized and is completely blocked if I hold the glasses 90 degrees from normal. The theory is light hitting the screen and reflected will be randomly polarized thus 50% of it will be blocked while almost all of the desired light coming from the tv will pass through.

Thus viewing the tv through polarized sheets of some sort should not dim in desired image but cut the unwanted reflections by 50%, doubling my effective contrast ratio.

Next step. Find some non tinted polarizing film and try watching the tv though the film.
woodhead2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 6326 Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass71 View Post
Thanks very much for the reply and for contacting TCL. I actually did try the very same thing when attempting to fix the problem but it persists. I currently have the HR54 genie and C51-500 mini. Guess I will try emailing TCL directly as well.
No problem, but I think you mean C61K-700.

https://www.directv.com/technology/4k

Last edited by rockaway1836; 06-20-2017 at 10:09 PM.
post #753 of 6326 Old 06-20-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
(minus the FALD flaw with Netflix content I could not reproduce).

I've just started following this thread because I'm considering getting this TV. What flaw mentioned above, I haven't been able to find what is being referenced?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 6326 Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
I have spent well over $1,000 more than once for less than 32" Tube TVs that can't even touch the $267 40" 1080P TCL S305 I am watching
can you tell me if this model will play a 4k hevc file from the roku media player?

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #755 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 116
still haven't had a chance to install my tv, but am having fun watching youtube 4k clips when time permits, a few here and there.... so which ones have you guys come across that you think really show this tv well, that especially show this tv well? i came across one with a chess match that was stunning, and one with a locomotive, simply unreal, wish i could be more specific but i wasn't thinking about posting about this at the time... so what are your favorites?
post #756 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
For my viewing environment (normal to dim room lighting) the biggest weakness is the only average anti glare capabilities of the tv. With better than average native CR and a FALD it is really a shame that more attention wasn't paid to reducing screen reflections.

What to do?

First step. I installed a bind over a window in the back of the room that was illuminating walls that could easily be seen when looking at the tv.

Second. Since light coming from the tv is polarized (that's how LCDs work), I obtained a pair of polarizing sun glasses and tested the effect of looking at the TV through the sunglasses. Yes indeed, the light leaving the tv is polarized and is completely blocked if I hold the glasses 90 degrees from normal. The theory is light hitting the screen and reflected will be randomly polarized thus 50% of it will be blocked while almost all of the desired light coming from the tv will pass through.

Thus viewing the tv through polarized sheets of some sort should not dim in desired image but cut the unwanted reflections by 50%, doubling my effective contrast ratio.

Next step. Find some non tinted polarizing film and try watching the tv though the film.
excellent stuff cah95046, we seem to be on the same path, i've been looking for solutions too, there are a couple of films i've come across, altho i'm not sure what their polarizing properties are, or if they even have any, but the anti-glare films i'm referring to seem certain to reduce image quality when viewing at an angle, which isn't a big deal for me....
post #757 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
I can confirm it does play 5 channel audio. The way I confirmed is, kodi has this option
of 2.1 or 5.1 - native encoding for audio. I had left it as it is, and I played a movie that
had 5.1 encoding. I was able to hear much better sound. I now wonder if it's Dolby
audio, does TV show the status that it's Dolby audio signal being output somewhere
like Dolby HDR?
Yes the TV can play 5.1, via HDMI ARC. The computer can play 5.1 also, if I hook the receiver to it first, but then I cannot pass through 4K HDR or DV. I can play files with 5-channel audio via the TV's USB port using the Roku media player app. [edit] Actually, I think stereo is all that roku can play properly.[/edit]

What I was trying to do was pass a video with 5.1 audio directly to the TV from the computer.
PC Windows 10 -> GTX 1050 Ti graphics card -> HDMI 1 -> TV -> HDMI ARC -> Pioneer VSX 521K receiver.

I found my problem.
First I found this Settings -> TV Input -> (MY PC Input) -> There is an option for HDMI 2.0 that must be selected!! I think mine was originally on auto or HDMI 1.4, but once I selected HDMI 2, I had no trouble getting HDR on my computer input.

Further receiver does not have HDMI 2 for pass-through of HDR to the TV, so I had to split the audio and video as follows: Hope this makes sense.

1.a Configure Primary display in Nvidia Control Panel to 4k x 2k (recommended), Refresh rate 60
1.b Chose to use Nvidia color settings
1.c Set Color Format to YCbCr422 and click the apply button
1.d Set color depth to 10bit and click the apply button
1. e Check that TV Settings -> HDMI Input for computer is set to HDMI 2 or higher
2. Turn on HDR in Windows Display Settings
3. Plug in receiver in DVI port on Nvidia GTX 1050 card (using DVI to HDMI converter)
4. Windows Display Settings -> set up receiver as second display with 720p
5. Configure Windows Sound Playback so that receiver is default device. Click Config button and Test speakers are shown and work.
6. Turn off audio for TV on Nvidia Control Panel. Check that receiver shows as an audio device in same settings page.

Last edited by Moritzio; 06-21-2017 at 03:15 AM.
post #758 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moritzio View Post
Yes the TV can play 5.1, via HDMI ARC. The computer can play 5.1 also, if I hook the receiver to it first, but then I cannot pass through 4K HDR or DV. I can play files with 5-channel audio via the TV's USB port using the Roku media player app. [edit] Actually, I think stereo is all that roku can play properly.[/edit]

What I was trying to do was pass a video with 5.1 audio directly to the TV from the computer.
PC Windows 10 -> GFX 1050 Ti graphics card -> HDMI 1 -> TV -> HDMI ARC -> Pioneer VSX 521K receiver.

I found my problem.
First I found this Settings -> TV Input -> (MY PC Input) -> There is an option for HDMI 2.0 that must be selected!! I think mine was originally on auto or HDMI 1.4, but once I selected HDMI 2, I had no trouble getting HDR on my computer input.

Further receiver does not have HDMI 2 for pass-through of HDR to the TV, so I had to split the audio and video as follows: Hope this makes sense.

1.a Configure Primary display in Nvidia Control Panel to 4k x 2k (recommended), Refresh rate 60
1.b Chose to use Nvidia color settings
1.c Set Color Format to YCbCr422 and click the apply button
1.d Set color depth to 10bit and click the apply button
1. e Check that TV Settings -> HDMI Input for computer is set to HDMI 2 or higher
2. Turn on HDR in Windows Display Settings
3. Plug in receiver in DVI port on Nvidia GFX 1050 card (using DVI to HDMI converter)
4. Windows Display Settings -> set up receiver as second display with 720p
5. Configure Windows Sound Playback so that receiver is default device. Click Config button and Test speakers are shown and work.
6. Turn off audio for TV on Nvidia Control Panel. Check that receiver shows as an audio device in same settings page.
Wait, if you're using ARC from the TV to the receiver then why do you have to configure it as an audio device in Windows?
post #759 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Wait, if you're using ARC from the TV to the receiver then why do you have to configure it as an audio device in Windows?
I turn off ARC unless I am streaming video, using the TV's internal apps. I am not sure I need it anyway, as the Roku streaming apps seem to only work in stereo. If I can only get stereo when streaming, then I could just use the TV's speakers. So, streaming video gets to the receiver via HDMI 3 - ARC and all other audio comes to the receiver from my HTPC's Nvidia GTX 1050 DVI port.

Last edited by Moritzio; 06-21-2017 at 03:14 AM.
post #760 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I am working with TCL to evaluate the new firmware that will be available to everyone later this week. I’ll give more details once it rolls out for everyone.

I thought I would pass this along after I had the chance to test out the test firmware received from TCL the last few days. I was contacted and asked if I would be willing to test some new firmwares and give my thoughts. I will say I am impressed with TCL wanting to improve the set and get the small issues resolved that some of us have discovered. I can only say this right now that TCL is very m,uch going in the right direction and I think people will be impressed at the willingness of them to correct issues and make our sets better.

Well done for TCL for stepping up and taking notice, I can say this is much more than almost any other manufacturer. I want get into everything I am seeing but I will rather let TCL communicate the improvements when thy roll this update out. I will however say that they have already addressed a few things and I have made suggestions on a few other ones.

Well done TCL

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #761 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know the Roku model #, software ver.?

Is Directvnow app. on it yet?
post #762 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 AM
SCK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Noobie question here... So if Roku can only play stereo is there a reason for me to get a 2.1 channel soundbar with DTS VirtualX? I generally watch (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Vudu) through the Roku interface and have no receiver.
post #763 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 AM
SCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
I am working with TCL to evaluate the new firmware that will be available to everyone later this week. I’ll give more details once it rolls out for everyone.

I thought I would pass this along after I had the chance to test out the test firmware received from TCL the last few days. I was contacted and asked if I would be willing to test some new firmwares and give my thoughts. I will say I am impressed with TCL wanting to improve the set and get the small issues resolved that some of us have discovered. I can only say this right now that TCL is very m,uch going in the right direction and I think people will be impressed at the willingness of them to correct issues and make our sets better.

Well done for TCL for stepping up and taking notice, I can say this is much more than almost any other manufacturer. I want get into everything I am seeing but I will rather let TCL communicate the improvements when thy roll this update out. I will however say that they have already addressed a few things and I have made suggestions on a few other ones.

Well done TCL
I second that notion
Lp85253 likes this.
post #764 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 AM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Flam3s View Post
Are there any reviews that detail 4k input lag yet? And I remember seeing a review that said with game mode off, this set gets 35ms input lag, where are you getting 50ms from?
From @imagic 's review on this site here: https://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-ser...on-first-look/

He mentions 1080p HDR content with game mode off hitting around 57.4ms at top of screen and 68.1ms in the middle. That's the firmware update I'm hoping to see have a big effect. He didn't measure 4k HDR (which would be the PS4 Pro measurement I'm really interested in), but from what I've seen on rtings reviews, they're usually similar.
post #765 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles1 View Post

The Roku model for this set is 7103X, per TCL's twitter. And no, no Directv Now app on it yet. I got a response from them late last week saying it's not available for this Roku model yet since the Directv Now app is "still in beta".
post #766 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I am not sure I need it anyway, as the Roku streaming apps seem to only work in stereo. If I can only get stereo when streaming, then I could just use the TV's speakers.
Am I missing something? 5.1 seems to work fine for me with everything using ARC.
theboomr likes this.
post #767 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Bake View Post
The Roku model for this set is 7103X, per TCL's twitter. And no, no Directv Now app on it yet. I got a response from them late last week saying it's not available for this Roku model yet since the Directv Now app is "still in beta".
Yes the Roku TV version is 7103X. I had asked them on Twitter a few days ago in reference to the Xfinity Stream App working on this tv since Comcast said the app only worked on versions 5XXX and 6XXX. However after setting up my tv and downloading the Xfinity Stream App and trying it on my tv, it does indeed work. Also listed in the system info is software version 7.6.2 build 4144-30 and I assume that is the actual firmware for the tv itself.
post #768 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Per Rting's twitter: "We bought new TVs. @tcl _USA P607 (P Series), @Samsung MU7600 and TCL S405. Look for reviews over the coming weeks."

https://twitter.com/rtingsdotcom/sta...11437257781248
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCxmsxXWAAANi2v.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2197377  
post #769 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 AM
SCK

Just spoke to an Amazon rep about my experience/frustration with the delivery and offered some feedback about future TV orders and he issued a 20% discount which was not expected/nor asked for.
theboomr and franzmetcalf like this.
post #770 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I turn off ARC unless I am streaming video, using the TV's internal apps. I am not sure I need it anyway, as the Roku streaming apps seem to only work in stereo. If I can only get stereo when streaming, then I could just use the TV's speakers. So, streaming video gets to the receiver via HDMI 3 - ARC and all other audio comes to the receiver from my HTPC's Nvidia GTX 1050 DVI port.
I have streamed in 5.1 from the Amazon app. It doesn't auto detect it though. My receiver is old so I'm using optical. We only got stereo at first, but when I manually changed the audio to dolby dts, the suround sound kicked in and sounded great.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #771 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
If you have the ability to change the setting (Low, Medium High). If its greyed out its not on and Dynamic Contrast is adjustable instead.
Thanks missed that one. I will probably grab it from Best Buy since Amazon is out.
post #772 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post

Well done TCL
Awesome, you are now our champion and liaison.

I set mine up Saturday and have been very impressed so far. The colors, in particular, are fantastic and what I notice most on all fare. I've been a Roku user for years now and the implementation here is great. This is a family room set for cable/streaming and even the kids say Wild Kratts is much improved! I went searching Netfix for "HDR" and found a short in DV called "Cosmos Laundromat", which is the best I've seen this set look. The whole thing is amazing but there's a specific bit at 7:45, with the sheep backlit in the foreground and the colors dropping down into blackness, which is really beautiful on this set.

I have noticed the flashlighting from the corners others have noted with dimming off, and I also notice some dark areas in the corners/sides on white screens similar to what I see on the 100% shot Mark posts here. Not too bad, but I do notice it on stuff like overhead polar shots in "The Hunt" (NF), for example. Folks didn't seem too concerned with that shot so I'm not sure if it's normal/expected.

I'm reticent to get into a panel lottery via FedEx with Amazon, but I may pick up the 605 at BB (while I'm still in my Amazon return period) when it's available just to see if it's better in these areas.

It's pretty reflective as has been noted as well. I have a light wall behind my sofa which is visible on the screen when the room is lit, but is also visible when the room is dark and the TV itself is illuminating it. This has the effect of reducing contrast and is not dissimilar to what I deal with in my theater room with the projector screen.

Overall, though, very happy with the set and don't really mind the flaws for the price, especially for the mostly-casual use it gets in this room. Full white screens are rare and I really don't notice the effects of the flashlighting with dimming on (which is not to say they're not there, of course, but I don't like a fully dark room). OTOH, I don't want to accept them if they are sample-specific and not intrinsic to the design.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #773 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCK View Post
Just spoke to an Amazon rep about my experience/frustration with the delivery and offered some feedback about future TV orders and he issued a 20% discount which was not expected/nor asked for.
Where do you find contact info?

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
Westy,WD48FB100
Polk Signa
4 Vizios,2 RCA,2 Sony, 2 Toshiba,1Panasonic,2 Samsung-Gone.
post #774 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 07:46 AM
SCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizkid39 View Post
Where do you find contact info?
Amazon.com, Inc./Customer service

1 (888) 280-4331
post #775 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizkid39 View Post
Brightness-Normal
Pic mode-Normal
Pic size-Auto
Audio effect-theater
Sleep-off
Adv pic settings
Pic-norm
Local Contrast-Medium
BL-80
Contrast-85
Sharp-60
Color-55
Tint-0
Color temp-Normal
Game-off
FYI - you missed the Brightness level on your list. Based on the AVS Calibration Videos, I didn't change much from the default normal:

Pic mode-Normal
Pic size-Auto
Audio effect-normal (or everyday - I forget what it was)
Sleep-off
Adv pic settings
Pic-norm
Local Contrast-Medium
BL-50
Brightness-50
Contrast-30
Sharp-50
Color-50
Tint-0
Color temp-Normal
Game-off

But I'll try your settings to compare.
post #776 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jraiders92 View Post
Plenty of YouTube videos make the HDR logo pop up.. That video just must not actually have HDR
I've searched through and tested a lot of 4k & HDR videos on the TCL's YouTube app and I've yet to see an HDR logo pop up (even though I have that option turned on). So either I have really bad luck or my YouTube app isn't showing HDR (on the Best Buy P605 version). It still looks awesome though. Can somebody list any videos that the HDR logo has appeared for?
post #777 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSunday View Post
I've searched through and tested a lot of 4k & HDR videos on the TCL's YouTube app and I've yet to see an HDR logo pop up (even though I have that option turned on). So either I have really bad luck or my YouTube app isn't showing HDR (on the Best Buy P605 version). It still looks awesome though. Can somebody list any videos that the HDR logo has appeared for?

Look for the HDR channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #778 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSunday View Post
That seems a bit worrisome. As Hubert said, go specifically to the HDR Channel and watch videos from there, every video on that channel makes the HDR notification pop up on my P607.

TCL said on Twitter that the sets are supposed to be exactly the same functionally, but I wonder if somehow there's a slightly different software version between the P605 and the P607? I'm not at home but maybe someone else can post the software version that's installed on their P607 and you can compare.
post #779 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
That seems a bit worrisome. As Hubert said, go specifically to the HDR Channel and watch videos from there, every video on that channel makes the HDR notification pop up on my P607.

TCL said on Twitter that the sets are supposed to be exactly the same functionally, but I wonder if somehow there's a slightly different software version between the P605 and the P607? I'm not at home but maybe someone else can post the software version that's installed on their P607 and you can compare.
I am not near my tv right now but I remember a setting that controlled the HDR notification popup...perhaps this is disabled?
post #780 of 6326 Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3IMOH View Post
I am not near my tv right now but I remember a setting that controlled the HDR notification popup...perhaps this is disabled?
Sorry...just read the message closer. Seems the popup is already set. I am very interested in this as well since I am considering switching out for a BB unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page