*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #1141 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
Ordered three of these on the 26th from Best Buy and ready for pickup 2 days later on the 28th. Dang!

Two of the boxes had damage, but the dent in the boxes along the edges weren't too deep.

So far we've set up 2 out of the 3 and configured them (But not calibrated yet)

Stood up SUPER close and inspected every inch of the panel against the different red and black backgrounds during setup and don't see a single dead pixel.

Also I don't see any clouding/flashlighting on these?
turn off fald/local dimming. look at a fully black image or movies with letterbox. assuming you got the tvs today and its daytime you probably aren't going to be able to notice this during normal viewing in a non-blacked out room. see if you can still notice it when you have fald on high and are just normally watching something. i can still see the flashlighting in the corners of mine simply due to how fald operates. gets worse in hdr mode as the backlight gets maxed

you might regret OCD-ing over this though. you got a dead pixel free set. sometimes you gotta pick your battles lol
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by henhowc; 06-28-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
turn off fald/local dimming. look at a fully black image or movies with letterbox. assuming you got the tvs today and its daytime you probably aren't going to be able to notice this during normal viewing in a non-blacked out room. see if you can still notice it when you have fald on high and are just normally watching something. i can still see the flashlighting in the corners of mine simply due to how fald operates. gets worse in hdr mode as the backlight gets maxed

you might regret OCD-ing over this though. you got a dead pixel free set. sometimes you gotta pick your battles lol

I hear ya! haha

Ok will check them out later tonight and report back.

Still have one TV to unbox and set up later tonight, hoping it doesn't have any dead pixels etc.
post #1143 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsax6010 View Post
M6x18 is what the manual specifies, and what I picked up from Lowes. Worked perfect with my mount.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuripot View Post
Oh ok, misread. HDR doesn't pop up for me in the Roku Netflix app but I believe I;m getting at least 4k resolution.
Not sure if the apps need to be updated as I can't seem to make it even show the streaming resolution (I'm using Amazon) as I can on the Samsung UHD TV and UHD player version of the app. For external sources such as a UHD Blu-ray player, make sure your HDMI inputs are manually checked as HDMI 2.0 on the TCL. Sometimes the auto version sensing fails to handshake properly and you won't get HDR metadata pass-through.

As for app based HDR... you can hit the *button and see if your settings jump to their maximum brightness.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #1145 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Observed something strange when watching local programming.. news, jeopardy, judge Judy etc. Initially, faces look red/blurry/washed out. I discovered that if I go to settings and adjust brightness up or down it will refocus and look normal. If I change channels it sometimes occurs again ( hit the brightness again to resolve..temporarily). Could be a station problem? Defective panel? I haven't noticed this when streaming movies. Hope problems not developing. Anyone else notice?
theboomr likes this.
post #1146 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
If you buy the Best Buy protection plan can you go through TCL for repairs/replacement during there warranty? I assume you can't because if TCL replaces it the serial number will not match the BB plan.
theboomr likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1147 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
yeah i know i have to pay for highest tier for netflix and they actually label their stuff but i thought if you had amazon prime you didn't have to pay any addition fees beyond the prime membership. i've tried watching some of their original content that is supposedly 4k+hdr like mozart show and man in the high castle but i'm not seeing hdr pop for anything?

i see the hdr logo pop on my ps4 and youtube app. thought maybe i was just doing something wrong

While in Amazon app, if you scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll all the way down, near the bottom, you'll see UHD sections/categories- one is tv, one is movies, and Prime.
Lp85253 likes this.

You can call me Sheila.
post #1148 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
While in Amazon app, if you scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll all the way down, near the bottom, you'll see UHD sections/categories- one is tv, one is movies, and Prime.
it must be way down there lol will check again tonight. thx
sheshechic and theboomr like this.
post #1149 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
it must be way down there lol will check again tonight. thx
It really (irritatingly) is. Just when you think you've gone too far... scroll some more. lol
theboomr likes this.

You can call me Sheila.
post #1150 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifscape View Post
I have been waiting for a replacement now for two weeks, and TCL has been no help telling me that since I returned it to Amazon, that I need to go through them for a replacement.
has anyone else been ignored by TCL. I emailed them last week about my row of dead pixels from my amazon purchase. no reply. I tried again yesterday saying it was a 2nd request, still not reply. I told them that i still have my original set, that i have no yet dropped it off at the UPS store which amazon said i need to do. They are supposed to be sending me a replacement but not until late august early September. I asked TCL if there is anything that can be done to help push up the time and they have ignored both of my emails.

i'm thinking about getting the Best Buy if TCL continues to ignore me because i do like the price and picture quality, but not sure if i like the idea of that other kind of remote control. I dont care about the headphone plug, but isn't there other differences???
post #1151 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Long time reader -- first time poster.

I purchased the BB version of this TV (605) and love it. I picked up a Samsung KU6290 a few weeks ago that I returned because it didn't have DV, WCG or true 10-bit.

An 'out there' question for fellow owners... I use the Roku app on my phone to control the TV, however, I can't get it to actually power the TV ON. It repeatedly says the TV is in "Eco Mode" and counts down from 35 seconds -- the TV does not respond -- and then it restarts. I found that I CAN turn on the TV through the Roku app if I do that within 15 minutes of turning it off.

I disabled all eco power options on the TV itself and that hasn't corrected the problem. Anyone have a fix? Because the legs on this are so low my soundbar blocks the IR sensor and it's becoming a minor annoyance.

Thanks so much.
post #1152 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It really (irritatingly) is. Just when you think you've gone too far... scroll some more. lol
Ok I found it. Is it normal for these services to have completely separate 1080p and 4K/HDR streams?

I think that's where the confusion lied with me...I just assumed that if I picked a show it would just ramp up to the best version available.
theboomr likes this.
post #1153 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Ok I found it. Is it normal for these services to have completely separate 1080p and 4K/HDR streams?

I think that's where the confusion lied with me...I just assumed that if I picked a show it would just ramp up to the best version available.
Wow I looked and it's like that for me too. How bizarre! Pretty sure no other streaming service is like that.
post #1154 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM

So far i'm absolutely loving these TVs... but they do feel a bit flimsy compared to previous sets I've purchased.

Like 10 years ago I had my first more expensive Samsung LCD and bought this plexi glass type protector for it to keep my then 3yr old boy from messing up the TV. Well, it's done its job and then some.. it's still on the TV and its the only one in my house that hasn't been damaged haha

I think the screen protector I have on the heavier duty LCD may be too heavy for the flimsier TCL sets... do they still make these things and if so does anyone have any recommendations?
post #1155 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 164
[QUOTE=fitz123;53943665]has anyone else been ignored by TCL. I emailed them last week about my row of dead pixels from my amazon purchase. no reply. I tried again yesterday saying it was a 2nd request, still not reply. I told them that i still have my original set, that i have no yet dropped it off at the UPS store which amazon said i need to do. /QUOTE]

Amazon told you that you had to drop it off at the UPS store? One of the options for returning anything to Amazon is to have UPS pick it up. That's what I did with my return.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #1156 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Okay, I just repeated my backlighting test following rtings' procedure. I could do the F4.0, ISO-200, 2 sec shutter time, but how am I supposed to replicate the backlight of the TV being set "so that white emits 100 cd/m2 of light"? I'm fine with adjusting my prosumer camera, but do not grok any way to delimit my TV's cd/m2 (whatever the heck that is) light. My result looks bad, but I am certain that my photo does not reflect their controls.

Franz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcl 607 backlight.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2208793  

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #1157 of 6368 Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
I finally watched the Despicable Me UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision encoding (using my Oppo 203 player)...

Fan - freakin' - tastic! Colors popped with rich vibrancy, solid depth, nice specular highlights (maybe not the absolute best when put against the pricier HDR panels reaching higher nits, but on the whole it seemed... balanced), banding cut to practically zero as, after all, disc based DV is 12 bit, 4:2:2 encoded (though dithered within a DV player's software to 10 bit unless the DV display has 12 bits per pixel processing and handshakes as such with the DV enabled chipset, which is very rare in current consumer displays).

Unless something really egregious pops up, I think this set will end up being a nice tied-me-over until I can move up to the big boy Dolby Vision displays once HDMI 2.1 and other enhancements come along.

And do yourselves a favor and buy DM 1 & 2 on UHD disc... at least you'll have a forward looking set of discs until some of you can get DV players. Looks like more will be on the way pretty soon.

Streaming just ain't where it's at, folks...

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-29-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #1158 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzmetcalf View Post
Okay, I just repeated my backlighting test following rtings' procedure. I could do the F4.0, ISO-200, 2 sec shutter time, but how am I supposed to replicate the backlight of the TV being set "so that white emits 100 cd/m2 of light"? I'm fine with adjusting my prosumer camera, but do not grok any way to delimit my TV's cd/m2 (whatever the heck that is) light. My result looks bad, but I am certain that my photo does not reflect their controls.

Franz
Try using their recommended calibration settings.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1159 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[quote=Bob Coxner;53944937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz123 View Post
has anyone else been ignored by TCL. I emailed them last week about my row of dead pixels from my amazon purchase. no reply. I tried again yesterday saying it was a 2nd request, still not reply. I told them that i still have my original set, that i have no yet dropped it off at the UPS store which amazon said i need to do. /QUOTE]

Amazon told you that you had to drop it off at the UPS store? One of the options for returning anything to Amazon is to have UPS pick it up. That's what I did with my return.
You get both options but if you choose ups pickup I believe they want to come within the next 1 or 2 business days to pick it up. If you choose to drop off, you have time to wait for the replacement first up to the 1 month to return. May hedge here with this tv and hope the inventory comes back before you have to return. I am thinking about this now but I may contact TCL directly based on the recent messages. I have a dead pixel, a small dim spot and some clouding around that dim spot but otherwise a great panel with no backlight bleed.
post #1160 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi TCL 607 owners: Have you ever experienced any audio popping/chirping issues found in Roku Ultra, or any other Roku platform performance problems? I am interested in this TV set but really frustrated by my Roku Ultra and the lack of support from Roku. Thank you!
post #1161 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
yep.. this was an issue when people were checking out their samsung ku 6300 when they first came out ... people couldn't find the hdr content on AMAZON..
post #1162 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:53 AM

Alright well I finally unboxed and set up the last/3rd TV... surprisingly I don't have a single dead pixel among all three televisions. Not sure how that happened?

Did some basic panel flashlight/clouding inspecting in totally black rooms etc and do see a little in the corners on the last set, SUPER feint if even there on the second set, and then the one in the living room I haven't been able to test yet because we have family camping out in there for a couple weeks.

Overall I am EXTREMELY happy with these budget friendly purchases - like blown away even.

Turned on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S and enabled 4K/HDR etc and they just look freakin gorgeous <3
theboomr likes this.
post #1163 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Try using their recommended calibration settings.
Good idea; I'll do that. Makes sense that their calibration settings might be near their standard test setting. I have followed their calibrations (including 11 point color settings) and do know that I have my backlight set far higher than theirs (which is zero!) which would explain my seemingly excessive flashlighting.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #1164 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Sorry but where are the recommended calibration settings for the different modes?

Not seeing them in the links in the first post..

*Also, what are the recommended video output settings for the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S? On the XB1S I see that I can change to PC RGB, 10-Bit Color Depth, and some other options but not sure which should be used.

Last edited by splattered; 06-29-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #1165 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
Sorry but where are the recommended calibration settings for the different modes?

Not seeing them in the links in the first post.
The rtings review came out very recently and thus their settings might not be linked yet: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607/settings

post #1166 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
yep.. this was an issue when people were checking out their samsung ku 6300 when they first came out ... people couldn't find the hdr content on AMAZON..
its not just that though. there are separate listings for HD and UHD.

For example for their originals:

Man in the High Castle HD/Prime label
Man in the High Castle UHD/Prime label (HDR notification pops when you start watching)

They are two completely separate streams. I didn't realize I was watching the lower quality version at first since I couldn't find a way in the Roku app to display resolution (PS4 Amazon Prime app shows 1080p in the UI when paused). I thought it was just buffering and taking awhile to get to 4K. Found the correct listing. The downside being the video started over from the beginning as if I had never watched part of that episode yet.

Maybe its just me but this seem super unintuitive and confusing. Not to mention their search sucks.
sheshechic, Lp85253 and theboomr like this.
post #1167 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
Select Originals first, from the left hand menu in the Amazon app. All the UHD content I have seen has been in there.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1168 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Roku Media Player, DLNA, NAS, no FF or RW

Love my P607.

Using Roku Media Player to play AV FROM my DLNA Synology NAS.

Play, pause, return work fine.

FF, RW don't work.

Sony BD media player on same network, NAS. Etc .... every thing including FF and RW work fine.

Anyone else tried this?
post #1169 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what is the difference between BB 605 and the 607?
post #1170 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubs View Post
what is the difference between BB 605 and the 607?

Amazon 607 gets a fancier remote with a headphone jack and some other features, TV itself should be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page