*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #1171 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubs View Post
what is the difference between BB 605 and the 607?
Remote on the 607 has a headphone jack, and also has a mic so you can use Roku's voice search feature which is super speedy, and the remote has a little speaker so if you lose it, you can use the buttons on the TV itself to have the remote make a loud beeping so you can find it.

The 605 remote might also just be IR instead of WiFi direct which makes inputs feel a little slow, but I've heard conflicting things on this from different people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The 605 is definitely IR.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
post #1173 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Liked: 17
I thought the 605 had the find remote feature too until I unpacked everything :/

Would have liked that over the headphone//voice features
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I'm not concerned about the remote since I will program my Harmony and never touch the included remote again.

I'm getting nervous. My Best Buy delivery appointment is scheduled for Saturday morning and the order status still says "preparing".

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1175 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I'm not concerned about the remote since I will program my Harmony and never touch the included remote again.

I'm getting nervous. My Best Buy delivery appointment is scheduled for Saturday morning and the order status still says "preparing".
Pretty sure the status of my order didn't move from preparing until the morning of my scheduled delivery.
post #1176 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently picked up a TCL P605 from Best Buy and I think I may return it. The screen uniformity issues were to be expected but they're bugging me more than I thought they would during normal viewing. Additionally I have backlight bleed issues on all four quadrants of the screen that looks pretty bad when viewing dark scenes. The Television is quite good though, especially for the price range, at this point I'm not sure if I should play the panel lottery or just return it and wait till Black Friday to buy something nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	2210777   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2210785  
post #1177 of 6368 Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGen View Post
Long time reader -- first time poster.

I purchased the BB version of this TV (605) and love it. I picked up a Samsung KU6290 a few weeks ago that I returned because it didn't have DV, WCG or true 10-bit.

An 'out there' question for fellow owners... I use the Roku app on my phone to control the TV, however, I can't get it to actually power the TV ON. It repeatedly says the TV is in "Eco Mode" and counts down from 35 seconds -- the TV does not respond -- and then it restarts. I found that I CAN turn on the TV through the Roku app if I do that within 15 minutes of turning it off.

I disabled all eco power options on the TV itself and that hasn't corrected the problem. Anyone have a fix? Because the legs on this are so low my soundbar blocks the IR sensor and it's becoming a minor annoyance.

Thanks so much.
I was under the impression that the TCL is an 8bit panel with FRC dithering, not a true 10bit panel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #1178 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphorus View Post
I recently picked up a TCL P605 from Best Buy and I think I may return it. The screen uniformity issues were to be expected but they're bugging me more than I thought they would during normal viewing. Additionally I have backlight bleed issues on all four quadrants of the screen that looks pretty bad when viewing dark scenes. The Television is quite good though, especially for the price range, at this point I'm not sure if I should play the panel lottery or just return it and wait till Black Friday to buy something nicer.
A few of us have similar sets with corners that look like yours. rtings black uniformity test also looks similar to the ones posted in this thread except they do their tests with backlight 0 so its fainter in their photos:

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p...mity-large.jpg

Not really sure how they can call that "good native black uniformity" especial when you view HDR content and the backlight gets maxed.

I'm getting my replacement tomorrow from bb. Crossing my fingers. I wonder if this is just the norm. I don't think I've actually seen anyone post images here or in a review after saying that they have good uniformity. Or if they did they posted it with fald on lol

Last edited by henhowc; 06-30-2017 at 01:54 AM.
post #1179 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmr33 View Post
I was under the impression that the TCL is an 8bit panel with FRC dithering, not a true 10bit panel.
And? That's basically the same thing.
theboomr likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1180 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
And? That's basically the same thing.
Definitely not for the cork sniffers it's not the same.

I'm not sure if I care either. If the rtings review shows that the calibration gives the P607 as good a picture as the X900E, then why exactly would I want to spend twice as much for the Sony?

My shopping for a 4K TV has now led me to these two particular models, so what is there to be done? The performance is so close and the price is so far apart.

I can appreciate that there is some sort of difference between a real 10bit panel and dithering, but currently that difference costs about $700.

If rtings calibration equipment can't tell the difference, then "who cares" indeed!

I've been trying to search this thread, but I haven't found a lot of actual PS4 Pro performance and compatibility talk. 80% of my time on this set will be spent gaming, so what's been everyone's experience there?

Honestly, the 20ms of input latency difference between the two sets is a bigger deal than than the dithering. I've been looking solely at 10bit panels for a few months and was dismayed when I discovered that rtings made no distinction between dithering and 10bit panels. I thought it was wrong to not do that and I'm hoping to figure out more about it.

I planned on getting the 55" of either one. I sit 7 feet away, in a room with blackout curtains and no off axis seating. I'll probably eventually get an Xbox One S as a UHD player as well and I expect to use this TV for about five years before thinking about replacing it.
sheshechic likes this.
post #1181 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmr33 View Post
Definitely not for the cork sniffers it's not the same.

I'm not sure if I care either. If the rtings review shows that the calibration gives the P607 as good a picture as the X900E, then why exactly would I want to spend twice as much for the Sony?

My shopping for a 4K TV has now led me to these two particular models, so what is there to be done? The performance is so close and the price is so far apart.

I can appreciate that there is some sort of difference between a real 10bit panel and dithering, but currently that difference costs about $700.

If rtings calibration equipment can't tell the difference, then "who cares" indeed!

I've been trying to search this thread, but I haven't found a lot of actual PS4 Pro performance and compatibility talk. 80% of my time on this set will be spent gaming, so what's been everyone's experience there?

Honestly, the 20ms of input latency difference between the two sets is a bigger deal than than the dithering. I've been looking solely at 10bit panels for a few months and was dismayed when I discovered that rtings made no distinction between dithering and 10bit panels. I thought it was wrong to not do that and I'm hoping to figure out more about it.

I planned on getting the 55" of either one. I sit 7 feet away, in a room with blackout curtains and no off axis seating. I'll probably eventually get an Xbox One S as a UHD player as well and I expect to use this TV for about five years before thinking about replacing it.
Gaming is fantastic on this set. I have a PS4 Pro and Horizon in particular looks beyond amazing. 4K HDR gaming on this set looks magnificent, even with FALD off. And with game mode on, it disables the local dimming. That's the only drawback, but in exchange you get a tremendous input lag. I play Destiny and my k/d hasn't dipped in the slightest since moving from a 1080p monitor to this 4K TCL. Local dimming would be nice, but if I have to lose it for gaming I'm ok. Blacks still look good, just not as tremendous as say, FALD set to high for some Netflix/Amazon/Youtube content.

Of course, for single player games you could disable game mode. Input lag probably wouldn't be a big deal then. I didn't really notice the input lag difference when playing Horizon with game mode off, so the input lag is passable with game mode off... just a decision to be made on your part.
post #1182 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@khmr33

If you consider the fact that none of the manufacturers state what sort of panel they are actually using, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them are 8bit + FRC.
Unless someone takes apart a TV and looks at the model number of the actual LCD panel, you can't be sure if it's a 10 bit or 8 bit.
I don't think it matters at all. As long as the gradient performance is good, it won't make a noticeable difference one way or the other.
theboomr likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1183 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got mine over a week ago from Amazon. Shipping was from GA. to OR., pretty far, and it got here intact. Box had maybe one dime sized puncture and a few scrape marks, but the set is in excellent condition.

Been playing around, getting familiar with it, and setting it like rtings did, the only gig I can give it really is on a glossy white and curved object I will see what I think is dithering, it's very light green and it's a jagged line that follows the curve of the object.

I see a bunch of this on my old 720P DLP on solid color backgrounds like a blue sky.

I only saw it once streaming a SDR show and I'm not picky so....

I really like the Roku on this set and last night Diredtvnow app. showed up. Yaaaah!
Tiger-Bake likes this.
post #1184 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

cnet put up their review

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

peak brightness seems lower than measured in other reviews. any experts weigh in? just variance in testing procedure or sets?
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by henhowc; 06-30-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #1185 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Uh-Oh.Lost my Roku Page.Was exiting Sling and had to click on exit 5-6 times to get out of it and page went black instead of my Home page.Must turn tv off to get cable back on.Hit Home button screen goes black.Can hit Netflix button or Sling button,they come on but go back to black page when I hit left arrow.Help!!!
I got Directvnow on page this a.m. TCL said software glitch.
Unplug,TCL did their thing. Works.

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
Westy,WD48FB100
Polk Signa
4 Vizios,2 RCA,2 Sony, 2 Toshiba,1Panasonic,2 Samsung-Gone.

Last edited by whizkid39; 06-30-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: ending
post #1186 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 AM
SCK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
cnet put up their review

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

peak brightness seems lower than measured in other reviews. any experts weigh in? just variance in testing procedure or sets?
I was wondering that as well. Anyone know the answer to that?
post #1187 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
DirectvNow is available now if it has not already been mentioned.
patt_itt likes this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #1188 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone tried using Rtings' expert calibration settings on there set? If so, did it look good? Would that be a good starting point? I don't have any calibration equipment beyond the video essentials BD, the BD you can download on AVS and the THX iPhone app.

post #1189 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Has anyone tried using Rtings' expert calibration settings on there set? If so, did it look good? Would that be a good starting point? I don't have any calibration equipment beyond the video essentials BD, the BD you can download on AVS and the THX iPhone app.
I used their exact settings and it is a definite improvement over default. Out of the box settings are still very good though imo.
rolltide1017 and theboomr like this.
post #1190 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 55S403 which I got from Costco. I know it's not the same TV, but I have been following all of the 55P607 info in case I decide to return the S and get the P.

Anyway, I wanted to post something I have found with the S that was causing me lots of problems. I have a PC hooked up to the TV via HDMI and at first I was having tons of problems getting it to display 4k @ 60Hz. I have a GTX1070 graphics card and a brand new 25 ft Amazon Basics HDMI cable (the most recent kind which they say is 18Gbps and able to do 4k60Hz).

It turns out the key is to go into the main settings menu and find the Input settings. From there, select the port which you have the PC hooked up to (HDMI2) in my case. Then there is an option to choose the HDMI mode. The default is set to Auto, which did not work for me. Only after I changed it to HDMI 2.0 would it allow me to display 4k60Hz and it unlocked some other options in the nvidia control panel such as the 4:2:2 setting. The TV also puts itself into HDR mode, which is not really ideal for surfing the web, but does look good for viewing media.

So, this was probably a pretty big rookie mistake on my part, but hopefully this is helpful for someone. I tried all kinds of things (reinstalling graphics drivers, trying different HDMI ports, different cables, different refresh rates) and it turns out I just needed to change one simple setting in the menu.

Incidentally, it would allow me to display 4k @ 30Hz which should have been my clue about the HDMI mode since HDMI 1.4 is able to do 4k30Hz but not 4k60Hz.

Also, when I am in 4k60Hz it allows me to turn game mode on in the picture settings, but then dynamic contrast is disabled. Again, I know it's not the same as the P series, but I'm assuming this is the same as the FALD being disabled when in game mode, as some people have been talking about.
theboomr likes this.
post #1191 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 PM

Liked: 17
Question... I took pictures of the labels on the back of each TV and registered them on the TCL website. Then I installed the Roku App on my phone and when it went to search for the TVs it had a COMPLETELY different serial number than what is posted on the back of the TV? All three TVs were like that... Do I need to re-register them with the serial number that pops up in the TV/System/About screen in the menu? Ugh

Also, I went and looked at the rtings website for the settings and not sure what i'm looking at? Are those settings going to be the same for each mode? (Movie/Vivid/Sports/etc) Or will each one be different?

And then also hoping some gamers here can chime in with the appropriate settings for PS4 Pro and Xbox One S cause I still haven't fully configured those for this set.
post #1192 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
Question... I took pictures of the labels on the back of each TV and registered them on the TCL website. Then I installed the Roku App on my phone and when it went to search for the TVs it had a COMPLETELY different serial number than what is posted on the back of the TV? All three TVs were like that... Do I need to re-register them with the serial number that pops up in the TV/System/About screen in the menu? Ugh

Heh, looks like TV has it's own serial number and Roku "device" inside the TV has it's own serial number.
theboomr likes this.
post #1193 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Also, I went and looked at the rtings website for the settings and not sure what i'm looking at? Are those settings going to be the same for each mode? (Movie/Vivid/Sports/etc) Or will each one be different?

And then also hoping some gamers here can chime in with the appropriate settings for PS4 Pro and Xbox One S cause I still haven't fully configured those for this set.
It depends on the game for me. Some look better in movie mode and some better in normal. It just depends on if you want more muted realistic color or brighter more vibrant color. I usually keep backlight/brightness and color around 50 and lower the sharpness. The only expert setting I've changed is the noise reduction set to off. With HDR I might lower the backlight a little depending on the game. I did try the Rtings settings and they looked good, hard to say if they are really better or not though based on the material I was looking at.

Last edited by Youcan1; 06-30-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #1194 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I used their exact settings and it is a definite improvement over default. Out of the box settings are still very good though imo.
Did you mess with the 11 point white balance and color space individual settings too?
post #1195 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Did you mess with the 11 point white balance and color space individual settings too?
Yes. Most of my basic settings like brightness/contrast and whatnot were already really close to theirs. Main improvements I noticed were when adjusting the white balance and color space within the app. Especially skin tones seemed to even out really well.
post #1196 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 02:41 PM

I'm using this tv for the bedroom mounted right above my dresser so I didn't need any crazy sound system. Didn't really think a sound bar would look that great and I don't really have room on top of my dresser with my ps4 and directv mini genie so I ended up getting this sound stand made by vizio (a lot of companies make them): https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SS2520-...io+sound+stand

It sounds really good. Big time improvement in clarity over the tv speakers. Tv speakers would have been good enough for bedroom but this was a decent enough and cheap enough improvement.
post #1197 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

DirecTV NOW app is available to download on P607.

NVM, Viper mentioned it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Viper32 likes this.
post #1198 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
Yes. Most of my basic settings like brightness/contrast and whatnot were already really close to theirs. Main improvements I noticed were when adjusting the white balance and color space within the app. Especially skin tones seemed to even out really well.
How exactly did you go about doing that? I know they say that every panel is different so those settings will be different for every tv. Did you use their settings, or something like a calibration disc?
post #1199 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

So my replacement set seems to actually have similar flash lighting in the corners and slightly worse black uniformity due to more clouding at the top of the panel. Also seems like DSE is more noticeable on this replacement in the gray uniformity tests. Goddamn OCD :|

But at least no dead pixels on this one so thats a positive (albeit i couldn't notice the few on the previous set). don't really want to play the lottery game beyond one exchange. think i'll watch movies and play games through the weekend and see if it bothers me.

I'm not sure I understand the TV brightness setting. Is it separate from the Brightness setting under advanced settings? I don't see any Brightness of backlight value changes when you toggle it.
theboomr likes this.
post #1200 of 6368 Old 06-30-2017, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Getting excited! Suppose to be delivered between 8am - 12. Need to go to bed so time will speed up but, I'm not tired.

What should be the first 4K HDR thing I should watch on YouTube, Netflix or Amazon. Thinking of buying the UHD version of ST Beyond or Fantastic Beast from Vudu.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page