*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4327Likes

post #121 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
I don't have a receiver for Dolby ATMOS but can confirm it's doing DD 5.1 pass through for my FireTV, Blueray player and Apple TV. The Atmos passthrough support claim was made by TCL in response to product Q&A on Amazon's 55P607 product page and the statement is still up.

However, looking at the specs only DD 5.1 and DD 5.1 Plus pass through are officially supported on the spec sheet. Of course it also is playing 4k HDR videos on youtube at 60fps and this seems to be a surprise, so it seems it has a few tricks up it's sleeve.
Do you know if the ARC passes DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD? I've neve rhad to use ARC before but I do not have a 4k receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So one weird thing I am noticing is that even though my Xbox shows good connection, Call Of Duty is running terribly laggy. Not sure if the chain of game system to AVR to TV is causing issues or what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4235_1497494538191.PNG
Views:	824
Size:	733.7 KB
ID:	2188689  
post #123 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCK View Post
Received and set up my new TV!

Watching Man in the High Castle and the picture quality is off the chain!

Here are some screen shots! I'm seeing some amazing contrast and pretty black blacks. Don't notice any backlight bleeding.
Very cool! Having that lamp on right next to the TV would certainly keep you from seeing any possible bleeding. Maybe you can try again in a dark room? Hopefully you have none!!

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.jeppeson View Post
My shipping date says [June] 16 even though I pre ordered may 29th. And they withdrew my money. I am a little annoyed. I shouldn't complain but anticipation is killing me. I also have another order that was suppose to ship yesterday but still no update on that either. Just says shipping soon.
That's not normal Amazon policy. They should not charge you until they ship. And they should not prioritize later orders over yours. Definitely make your feelings known to them, especially if you are a Prime member. I believe that was part of what caused them to apologize to me. This is not just about us complaining. You are right to imply that that is perhaps over-privileged. This is also about them learning how better to serve their customers, especially pre-order and Prime customers. (In my case, I pre-ordered on June 1st and do not have my TV. If I had ordered this Monday I would already have it! That's not right and I let them know politely and with an eye toward helping them with their ongoing fulfillment improvement.)
10aosmer likes this.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)

Last edited by franzmetcalf; 06-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #125 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzmetcalf View Post
Now that's more like it! Crimson_Flam3s, it's starting to look like your unit is out on the wrong lip of the bell curve.
I just got my unit today and it has bad backlight bleeding too in three corners. Looks a lot like the picture Crimson_Flam3s posted. I hope others have better luck!
post #126 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Sharing a few pictures of what I'm seeing with this set in a dark room... Not sure what everyone is expecting out of this set but I'm very happy with it. I don't plan to turn the FALD off and I can really see it working it's magic in this test... I'm curious under what circumstances someone would want to disable FALD? Is it considered bad for high motion video? 1080p/4k/4k HDR10/4k Dolby Vision and 4k HDR 60fps youtube content all look amazing with FALD on.

Not sure exactly what people are expecting, this is not an OLED set and cost a fraction of what an OLED counterpart would.

Display settings for this:

Mode: Movie/Warm/Dark settings
Backlight: 25
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100

With FALD tuned off

With FALD on High

If you brighten the image in a paint program you will see the edges of the display

With FALD on High

Youtube video is paused on blank screen.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-14-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #127 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
So... Seems like a lot of people are super happy with their set... I've got mine set up and have been watching a lot of HDR stuff on YouTube. Does anyone else notice some pretty extreme flickering in the backlights sometimes? Occasionally I can very noticeably see FALD zones flickering on and off, even sometimes when nothing on screen is really moving.

I haven't messed much with picture settings yet, maybe I should turn the backlight down a bit though. I think it's really high by default.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #128 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballard10 View Post
I just got my unit today and it has bad backlight bleeding too in three corners. Looks a lot like the picture Crimson_Flam3s posted. I hope others have better luck!
Panel lottery? Ugh
post #129 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my unit setup this evening. Wanted to put a few encouraging words up from my first impressions:

+ My unit has no backlight bleed
+ The corners *might* be a little dimmer then the rest of the screen but I'd have to test more content to be sure (by little, I mean it's actually difficult to notice)
+ YouTube app is reporting it's receiving a VP9 stream which is good news
+ Roku interface is extremely responsive

I'll try out some regular blu-rays tomorrow....I'm thinking LOTR extended editions!
post #130 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
got it today. I am upgrading from crappy 1080p 37 inch tv made by hiteker. i am totally satisfied with tv. lightbleed is not an issue when tv running, you can only notice it when in Roku Menu.
I love the picture quality. Attached is a picture from youtube running through 1.4HDMI cable from 750TI graphics card.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	871
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2188745  
post #131 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post
While playing a Youtube video, press the Up arrow and choose More Options. Click the right arrow until you select the icon on the right called Stats for Nerds. This will tell you resolution, codecs, connection speeds, and other info.
Thanks for the tip! Just playing around with my set and am thrilled so far. One question - on the stats for nerds window it shows resolution 2560X1440 and optimal resolution 3840X2160. Is there something that should be enabled to receive the optimal resolution? Likely a dumb question but this is my first 4k tv and I really have no idea what I'm doing, lol.
theboomr likes this.
post #132 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Hmm shame its a panel lottery, but come on you know you cant have it all for this price.

BTW when you guys post pics do it with FALD on, it isnt really relevant what it looks like with it off imo.
rmz76 and Tiger-Bake like this.
post #133 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to thank Mark Henninger for his excellent first look article, in depth review and all the time he took answering questions in the the First Look thread for this display... Since I plugged everything in this morning I have been glued to this TV all day and can't get enough 4k content. I showed my wife who is generally underwelmed by technology and she also commented that the picture is amazing. The gap between this an my old 2010 LG 1080p set is such a huge leap, watching HDR 4k content on this set takes me back to the early 1990s when I brought home my first projection view HDTV (High end Hitachi if memory serves) and just sit glued to it amazed with how far displays had come. Had I not come across Mark's review and early comments I probably would have spent a lot more on a set that had inferior color accuracy. I'm very glad that didn't happen.

It's troublesome to hear some people are receiving sets with serious back-light bleed, dead pixels and broken screens. I hope TCL fixes these quality control problems quickly and that Amazon is able to take care of customers with these issues. Might be worth putting up a 55P607 owners poll to have people who received defective sets vs those who got non-defective sets vote so we can see what the ratio is with this first batch.
EscapeVelocity and whizkid39 like this.

Last edited by rmz76; 06-14-2017 at 10:02 PM.
post #134 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 PM
SCK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan999 View Post
Very cool! Having that lamp on right next to the TV would certainly keep you from seeing any possible bleeding. Maybe you can try again in a dark room? Hopefully you have none!!
Yeup, also did some backlight bleeding tests using Youtube videos in a pitch black room and did not notice any backlight bleeding

Posted a video in my amazon review as well.
post #135 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Well you can watch HDR on any HDR compatible TV/display. It just avoids mentioning that you may also need another device to actually play it.
And then there's the avr issue for some of us (many of us?).

You can call me Sheila.
post #136 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM
SCK

Quote:
Yeup, also did some backlight bleeding tests using Youtube videos in a pitch black room and did not notice any backlight bleeding

Posted a video in my amazon review as well.
Okay, so having turned FALD off I do notice some minor Backlight Bleeding on the top two corners. But too echo rmz76's point, when/why would you turn off FALD?

I admit that I'm no videophile, but I'm thoroughly impressed by this set and have not noticed the backlight bleeding at all even in very dark scenes with FALD on.
post #137 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Just wanted to thank Mark Henninger for his excellent first look article, in depth review and all the time he took answering questions in the the First Look thread for this display... Since I plugged everything in this morning I have been glued to this TV all day and can't get enough 4k content. I showed my wife who is generally underwelmed by technology and she also commented that the picture is amazing. The gap between this an my old 2010 LG 1080p set is such a huge leap, watching HDR 4k content on this set takes me back to the early 1990s when I brought home my first projection view HDTV (High end Hitachi if memory serves) and just sit glued to it amazed with how far displays had come. Had I not come across Mark's review and early comments I probably would have spent a lot more on a set that had inferior color accuracy. I'm very glad that didn't happen.

It's troublesome to hear some people are receiving sets with serious back-light bleed, dead pixels and broken screens. I hope TCL fixes these quality control problems quickly and that Amazon is able to take care of customers with these issues. Might be worth putting up a 55P607 owners poll to have people who received defective sets vs those who got non-defective sets vote so we can see what the ratio is with this first batch.
just wanted to reiterate what you've said... i was ready to pull the trigger on a sony xbr55x930s at almost 4 times the price of the tcl, so glad i came across mike's review... to be clear, i'm sure the sony is a great tv, and i'm not suggesting that i got the same thing for a quarter of the price, but for my needs the tcl seems to be everything i'll need for the time being...

but speaking of the sony xbr55x930s, it boasts a capability of upconverting non 4k material to close to 4k, not sure how effective it is, but does the tcl have anything similar?
post #138 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just ran YouTube bleed test. Well it goes absolutely black . As if the tv is off . I don't see any light on screen. does that mean I have no light bleed or doing something wrong ?
Tiger-Bake likes this.
post #139 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.jeppeson View Post
Congrats to those who have their tv!!!
I read somewhere that Amazon was now out of stock. I pre ordered my tv May 29th and still hasn't shipped. People who have ordered after me have their TV's already. Should I be worried?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Call them... call them right now. They're nice and most likely you won't need to be mean or pushy to get them to straighten this out. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't express your displeasure, do. It sounds like your order is stuck, since they don't usually take the money until they ship, or prepare to ship is the status. Hopefully, your tv is also stuck and waiting to move too. Personally, I'd ask them to upgrade the shipping mode to the fastest possible- if the tv is still physically there (and not wrecked). If the csr tells you that he/she can't then ask to speak with the supervisor.

BTW, they will be available at Best Buy next month. I don't think Amazon wants you to buy it there if they can help it.
franzmetcalf likes this.

You can call me Sheila.
post #140 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahm12 View Post
just ran YouTube bleed test. Well it goes absolutely black . As if the tv is off . I don't see any light on screen. does that mean I have no light bleed or doing something wrong ?
It means you got one of the good ones, which hopefully is the majority of 55P607 sets TCL has shipped.
post #141 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
just wanted to reiterate what you've said... i was ready to pull the trigger on a sony xbr55x930s at almost 4 times the price of the tcl, so glad i came across mike's review... to be clear, i'm sure the sony is a great tv, and i'm not suggesting that i got the same thing for a quarter of the price, but for my needs the tcl seems to be everything i'll need for the time being...

but speaking of the sony xbr55x930s, it boasts a capability of upconverting non 4k material to close to 4k, not sure how effective it is, but does the tcl have anything similar?
Yes, technically all 4k TVs have an upconverter of some sort built in. The 1080p to 4k upconverter in the 55P607 is based on the "nearest neighbor" algorithm and is very good.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #142 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Received and set up my new TV!

Watching Man in the High Castle and the picture quality is off the chain!

Here are some screen shots! I'm seeing some amazing contrast and pretty black blacks. Don't notice any backlight bleeding.
Is that straight out of the box or did you make some adjustments?

You can call me Sheila.
post #143 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 PM
SCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Is that straight out of the box or did you make some adjustments?
Straight out of the box.

Turned on movie mode!
sheshechic likes this.
post #144 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well time for some not so great first impressions...

I'm pretty sure mine has backlight bleed, if you can call it that. Tried playing with settings more and no matter what, there's always a big ugly splotch in the lower right area on black screens.

FALD performance also really seems suboptimal. As I said before, there is some fairly extreme flickering happening, that is noticeable even in regular content, and especially in dark scenes. Blooming is also occasionally noticeable in real content. Also, I'm not getting any inky blacks in the background of black menus on my Xbox, either, almost like the FALD algorithms aren't recognizing that there should be true blacks right there and those zones need to be fully turned off.

And finally, motion sometimes looks really bad. Like just a slow landscape pan on some YouTube vids occasionally shows stuttering. This is probably my most minor complaint though so far.

I can't stay up too late tonight fiddling with it, but I'm not as impressed as I had hoped, even with tempered expectations. I haven't decided if it's worth it to try and get a replacement for the backlight bleed problem, cause I gotta pack it all back up and send it back, and again go back to my old 40" in the waiting period.

I do think the colors pop on this TV, really well. That feels more impressive than the Vizio P55 I owned just before this TCL. And the Roku interface is simply amazing, super speedy and very very easy to navigate. But I feel conflicted

Anyone have any tips or settings I can try out to get better performance from this TV?

post #145 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Peña View Post
I can confirm as well that it does play HDR videos on YouTube.
Sorry, what do you mean by HDR videos on YouTube? VP9-PQ YouTube HDR video or VP9-HLG YouTube HDR video or both?

VP9-PQ YouTube HDR video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U#t=0m0s

VP9-HLG YouTube HDR video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7qbWCljks#t=0m0s

HEVC HLG HDR video:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=158

Thanks

Multi-HDR support - Current situation:

Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
post #146 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is voice search working for everyone? I push the button on the remote and get the ding and light flash but no search menu ever pops up. I've looked at menu settings and googled but no luck figuring it out.

Honesty I doubt it will be used much, but if it's supposed to work it should work!

Otherwise no other complaints still. I do think I notice a little light in the corners when I'm switching apps but we watched some dark content (esp. the Lego Batman free clip on Vudu) and some others with black bars, and it was very uniformly black. As long as it looks good when I'm actually watching something, I'm satisfied.

We also played with the remote finder. That feature alone may be worth the price. I swear we manage to lose it almost daily.

Funny too, I switched on the older Vizio E series in the kitchen after watching the TCL for a while and was struck by how gray it looked. Never really noticed that before!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Last edited by abcekids; 06-14-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #147 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
Sorry, what do you mean by HDR videos on YouTube? VP9-PQ YouTube HDR video or VP9-HLG YouTube HDR video or both?

VP9-PQ YouTube HDR video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U#t=0m0s
Yes, plays in 4k. Picture mode defaults to HDR (On)

Quote:
Plays in 4k but in settings HDR is not on. Picture mode just shows "Movie". Looks great but colors aren't popping as much as they are on VP9-HLG clips.

Not sure, Is there another way to test this format using a Roku app?
post #148 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, well I figured out one thing: if you have game mode enabled, it disables local dimming, so that's why I wasn't​ getting the nice inky blacks on my Xbox. That's kinda disappointing though, cause the input lag is super awesome in game mode, but then you don't get the full HDR experience in HDR games. Hope they can update this. Vizio TVs can do local dimming while in game mode.

post #149 of 6396 Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know what the heck that is on the left side of my screen?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170615_011310.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	2188825  
post #150 of 6396 Old 06-15-2017, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Yes, plays in 4k. Picture mode defaults to HDR (On)

Plays in 4k but in settings HDR is not on. Picture mode just shows "Movie". Looks great but colors aren't popping as much as they are on VP9-HLG clips.

Not sure, Is there another way to test this format using a Roku app?
I am downloading it and going to play it off an external drive using the USB port. Hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page