*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4314Likes

post #1651 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
My USB 3.0 flash drive works just fine when it's formatted as NTFS, pops up as expected and everything. Maybe the TV's USB port doesn't send full power, though, which could explain why an actual HDD doesn't work.

Hrm that could be, although it's just a 2.5" SSD so not much power required. I'll have to try another enclosure and a different External I have to try to rule out some options I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
Hrm that could be, although it's just a 2.5" SSD so not much power required. I'll have to try another enclosure and a different External I have to try to rule out some options I guess.

I tried an externally powered USB drive and it didn't work. I just don't think it works with HDD.
post #1653 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
I tried an externally powered USB drive and it didn't work. I just don't think it works with HDD.

That would be quite odd, I'm going to do some testing tomorrow to try to narrow it down.

theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
So, is there anyway to calibrate HDR/DV? Any HDR/DV test pattern videos anywhere?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1655 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
That would be quite odd, I'm going to do some testing tomorrow to try to narrow it down.

You know what, what size is the drive you're trying to use? I wonder if the TV is only capable of reading drives up to a certain size. That would explain why my NTFS flash drive would work fine, but a (potentially) larger HDD/SSD in NTFS wouldn't be seen by the TV.

EDIT: Check this link, it has some useful info incl. current supplied over the port: https://support.roku.com/article/230...nal-usb-drive-
crawlgsx likes this.
post #1656 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
You know what, what size is the drive you're trying to use? I wonder if the TV is only capable of reading drives up to a certain size. That would explain why my NTFS flash drive would work fine, but a (potentially) larger HDD/SSD in NTFS wouldn't be seen by the TV.

EDIT: Check this link, it has some useful info incl. current supplied over the port: https://support.roku.com/article/230...nal-usb-drive-

I was wondering that as well, it's a 1tb SsD. I tried making just a 100gb partition but that usually doesn't work anyway when there is a size limitation.

Good info thank you!!

TCL Roku TVs definitely provide more than enough power for an ssd enclosure. That's more power than my wife's TV puts out and it's working fine so I really think it's a compatibility issue with usb3 or larger drives. (I've tried different types of partition tables, partition sizes, and formats). It states that not all usb3 devices work properly and need to be hooked up to a usb2 hub or usb2 extension cable to play nice so I may try that tomorrow as well.

theboomr likes this.

Last edited by crawlgsx; 07-17-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #1657 of 6328 Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question; when you play 4k source material, either from Netfix or youtube is there an indication in the options that you are doing so, how about 4k with Dolby Vision?

Thanks.
post #1658 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
It's likely that the content simply has an elevated black level, forcing the TV to come out of black (ie. turn on the LEDs brighter) when it's not really needed.
I'd say it has to do more with your source rather than your TV.
Ditto this - some of my early testing with Star Wars: The Force Awakens exposed exactly this problem (blu-ray being much blacker than the darkest levels sent by Xfinity on-demand).
10aosmer and theboomr like this.
post #1659 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
Quick question; when you play 4k source material, either from Netfix or youtube is there an indication in the options that you are doing so, how about 4k with Dolby Vision?

Thanks.
There's a badge that shows up briefly in the upper right corner that shows either "HDR" or "Dolby Vision".
theboomr likes this.
post #1660 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
There's a badge that shows up briefly in the upper right corner that shows either "HDR" or "Dolby Vision".

That is only true if it's HDR, playing 4K that doesn't have HDR doesn't do anything to indicate if it's playing in 4K vs 1080p upscale.

theboomr likes this.
post #1661 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
That is only true if it's HDR, playing 4K that doesn't have HDR doesn't do anything to indicate if it's playing in 4K vs 1080p upscale.

Pressing the OK button will bring up some info showing input resolution and refresh rate, for HDMI sources at least. For various streaming apps you would have to use their built in information options if applicable.
post #1662 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
So, is there anyway to calibrate HDR/DV? Any HDR/DV test pattern videos anywhere?
I've wondered the same thing. Event test patterns that are reliable via netflix or Youtube. I never really know what to trust.
post #1663 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Ok, well I figured out one thing: if you have game mode enabled, it disables local dimming, so that's why I wasn't​ getting the nice inky blacks on my Xbox. That's kinda disappointing though, cause the input lag is super awesome in game mode, but then you don't get the full HDR experience in HDR games. Hope they can update this. Vizio TVs can do local dimming while in game mode.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Can anyone tell me if this has been or will be corrected? If not, do you think its a big deal? Im planing on using this mostly for gaming on my PS4pro and soon-to-be Xbox One X.

Without gaming turned on, it looks like the input lag is around 51ms, which is pretty bad.
post #1664 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM

So I tried 4 different enclosures with the 1tb SSD and it will not see it. I used an extremely fast usb3.0 flash drive (Sandusky extreme) and it saw it but had trouble playing and had to keep buffering. Then I tried a lacie external USB 3 ssd (256gb) and it worked great. Apparently the TV is real fussy with why it can do with the USB port. A little disappointed there. My wife's TV and even our older Sony both play any of the drives fine.

post #1665 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I highly recommend watching "Chasing Coral" on Netflix to see what this can do with DV. Looks amazing.
langzaiguy likes this.
post #1666 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 02:53 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom631 View Post
Can anyone tell me if this has been or will be corrected? If not, do you think its a big deal? Im planing on using this mostly for gaming on my PS4pro and soon-to-be Xbox One X.

Without gaming turned on, it looks like the input lag is around 51ms, which is pretty bad.
according to this review, they measured 31.4ms out of Game Mode and 15.1ms in Game Mode.
http://www.pcmag.com/review/354173/tcl-55p607

I haven't noticed lag being a problem and I have yet to use Game Mode. All reviews I have read including rtings laud this TV low input lag.
post #1667 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm hoping to get some help with my TCL 55P607 tv. I've had it for a month and love it so far. I think it's great value.

1. This issue only came up today. For some reason I am not being able to view any of the Dolby Vision (DV) content on Netflix (NF) just since today. Since I got the set, i've watched a few shows in DV on NF and it worked great.. the little DV pop-up would show and I got the DV presets in video settings. However, just since today I'm facing an issue where it shows the DV tag on the NF app but when I play it's playing in standard video i.e I don't get the DV popup or video settings. I've tried re-setting the TV, signing out of the NF app and reinstalling it. I tried calling TCL, Roku and Netlfix in that order cause each of them just told me to call the other service and offered no help. Is anyone else facing this issue, if yes, any ideas?
Note: HDR10 content plays fine in YouTube and Amazon.

2. The second issue is getting HDMI Arc to work properly with my Vizio SB3651-E0 soundbar. When I first set up everything, it worked great and the TV detected it. Then one day it just stopped playing back. I reset the soundbar and the TV and it detected again but then stopped working shortly thereafter. I've tried resetting both multiple times, other HDMI cables. It doesnt show up in the CEC list but the system audio controls work fine i.e the roku remote controls and powers on the vizio soundbar but doesn't transmit any audio. For now, I hooked it up with optical and still using the limited CEC for audio control but would love to know if there's any fix for this.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying!
post #1668 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 218
FALD is still not available while in game mode. However, as someone who was originally pretty irritated by that, I don't feel that it's that big of a deal anymore. I can't really see the corner clouding when gaming at all, and even if I turn off game mode, I don't think I can even tell the difference in input lag. Although, I don't have any HDR gaming capability right now so maybe the clouding issues would be more visible if playing HDR games outside of game mode.

The out-of-game-mode input lag is an interesting topic, because pcmag and @imagic both rated it around 30 something milliseconds, but Rtings measured it at 50 something. I'm not sure why there's that discrepancy, but it certainly doesn't feel like 50+ ms to me when I'm gaming outside game mode.
post #1669 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekdoc View Post
I'm hoping to get some help with my TCL 55P607 tv. I've had it for a month and love it so far. I think it's great value.

1. This issue only came up today. For some reason I am not being able to view any of the Dolby Vision (DV) content on Netflix (NF) just since today. Since I got the set, i've watched a few shows in DV on NF and it worked great.. the little DV pop-up would show and I got the DV presets in video settings. However, just since today I'm facing an issue where it shows the DV tag on the NF app but when I play it's playing in standard video i.e I don't get the DV popup or video settings. I've tried re-setting the TV, signing out of the NF app and reinstalling it. I tried calling TCL, Roku and Netlfix in that order cause each of them just told me to call the other service and offered no help. Is anyone else facing this issue, if yes, any ideas?

2. The second issue is getting HDMI Arc to work properly with my Vizio SB3651-E0 soundbar. When I first set up everything, it worked great and the TV detected it. Then one day it just stopped playing back. I reset the soundbar and the TV and it detected again but then stopped working shortly thereafter. I've tried resetting both multiple times, other HDMI cables. It doesnt show up in the CEC list but the system audio controls work fine i.e the roku remote controls and powers on the vizio soundbar but doesn't transmit any audio. For now, I hooked it up with optical and still using the limited CEC for audio control but would love to know if there's any fix for this.
with
Same problem here with netflix dolbyvision today..must problem with netflix, not our tv,s.
post #1670 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
My guess would be that maybe it is your HDMI cable but, I'm just guessing.

Something odd happened to mine this morning, this is actually the second time it has happened since getting the TV on July 1st. All of a sudden there is a faint double image shifted to the right of everything on the screen. It is not limited to HDMI, it shows up on everything even the built in TV menus and Roku apps. I don't remember seeing this mentioned in the thread before so, I'm guessing it's a defect of some kind with the panel and not a software bug.

Here are some pictures I took with my phone, I had to brighten them up some to get it to show up good but, it is easily viewable from my normal seating distance.

These are from my AppleTV but, like I said, it looks the same on all inputs and the built in Roku apps/TV menus.

Look at the left edge of the screen were the grey looks lighter, it's like the faint image has been shifted to the right. Look at the word Hulu and the icon below it.

Look to the right of the icons, you can see the faint outline of them.

Like I said, this is the second time this has happened since getting to the TV, so far every 5 to 6 days. the only way to get it to clear up is to turn off the TV and unplug it for a few minutes. Just turning the TV off doesn't fix it, it must be unplugged. Then everything is fine.

Trying to decide if I should contact TCL. If it is a bad panel then I probably should get it replaced but, if it is a software bug then maybe a future firmware would fix the issue. At least I can clear it up so that it is not permanent. I'm just not sure if going through TCL would void my BB protection plan.

Don't get me wrong, I love this TV but, as this thread grows there seems to be more and more issues with these panels. It's unfortunate because this TV looks so good for the price.

Anyone else seen this?
Did you ever find out what it was?? I just had the same exact thing happen...
post #1671 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by teufel View Post
Did you ever find out what it was?? I just had the same exact thing happen...

Work in progress, I guess. After contacting TCL, the replied back asking for some more detailed info which I sent to them yesterday.

I did discover a quicker/easier way to fix it when it occurs without having to unplug the TV. Just go to the Roku Home screen - Settings - System - Power - Restart. After the restart everything will be back to normal. It's happened to mine 3 times now, about every 5-6 days.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1672 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Returned mine due to issues over a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryan83 View Post
Yes, this just randomly happened. Nothing has touched the TV since I've installed it. I did preform a factory reset based on your suggestion to no avail.

The pic was taken after I unplugged it for a while and plugged it back in. This is the startup screen. There are no error blink codes given.

I have tried unplugged and plugging back in. That was my first thought as well. Needless to say it didn't fix and I'm highly disappointed.
I definitely feel for you. I got this tv when I was on the fence between it and the Sony X900e. I was very skeptical. But once I got this tv home, I was blown away at how great it looked in games.

However, after just a few days of use, when I watched Netflix, I would notice random blank frames of either all white or all black while watching. It almost seemed like the fald would mess up any time it transitioned from light to dark or vice versa and would fill the whole screen when the contrast flipped.

It was enough to convince me it'll be worth saving up another month for the song. Returned for a full refund to Best Buy.

That being said, if anyone here's in the KC area, I know where you can get one of these tvs open box at a Best Buy for $550.
post #1673 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancpest1 View Post
I definitely feel for you. I got this tv when I was on the fence between it and the Sony X900e. I was very skeptical. But once I got this tv home, I was blown away at how great it looked in games.

However, after just a few days of use, when I watched Netflix, I would notice random blank frames of either all white or all black while watching. It almost seemed like the fald would mess up any time it transitioned from light to dark or vice versa and would fill the whole screen when the contrast flipped.

It was enough to convince me it'll be worth saving up another month for the song. Returned for a full refund to Best Buy.

That being said, if anyone here's in the KC area, I know where you can get one of these tvs open box at a Best Buy for $550.
how do they compare in gaming. motion feels a bit off to me on the tcl (not input lag related) and was wondering if it'd feel smoother on the sony (not taking the motion flow into account as i don't want SOE).

possibly just me a combination of me coming from plasma and the games i'm playing though
post #1674 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
how do they compare in gaming. motion feels a bit off to me on the tcl (not input lag related) and was wondering if it'd feel smoother on the sony (not taking the motion flow into account as i don't want SOE).

possibly just me a combination of me coming from plasma and the games i'm playing though
Haven't got the Sony yet. Will have to save for another payday or two.

But the 900e is natively 120hz and the tcl only does 60hz. Even without smooth motion the 900e I've heard and see in video reviews is much much smoother. I'd say jutter was one of my main complaints of the tcl. Had a few posts about it in another forum.
post #1675 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekdoc View Post

Doc. I have had similar problems with the ARC function and the same sound bar. I also had problems with the sound from the sound bar being delayed causing lip sync issues. Has anyone found a way to address is problem?
post #1676 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

is there anything other than Netflix that supports dolby vision on this set right now?

appears amazon prime and vudu apps don't at the moment. not sure i want to pay the extra netflix fee
post #1677 of 6328 Old 07-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Work in progress, I guess. After contacting TCL, the replied back asking for some more detailed info which I sent to them yesterday.

I did discover a quicker/easier way to fix it when it occurs without having to unplug the TV. Just go to the Roku Home screen - Settings - System - Power - Restart. After the restart everything will be back to normal. It's happened to mine 3 times now, about every 5-6 days.
Definitely keep me updated since I'm experiencing the same thing, man these TVs are great but definitely seem to have some issues. I hope this is just something that can be fixed with a software update... Another thing I've notice too is that the sharpness level gets reset when going into game mode hdr and doesn't seem to want to stick...
post #1678 of 6328 Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
is there anything other than Netflix that supports dolby vision on this set right now?

appears amazon prime and vudu apps don't at the moment. not sure i want to pay the extra netflix fee
Actually Vudu does support dolby vision
theboomr likes this.
post #1679 of 6328 Old 07-19-2017, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jraiders92 View Post
Actually Vudu does support dolby vision
not on roku tvs according to this list:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...e-Devices-List
post #1680 of 6328 Old 07-19-2017, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Anyone uses the USB with theirs? I have an NTfS drive with a handful of 4K videos on it. I can plug it into my wife's LG webos 3.5 TV and all the videos play fine. I can't get the videos to come up at all with the TCL? Any thoughts? Does it have limited format support?

It also doesn't pop up when I plug it in. Is it because it is USB 3?
If the USB files include lossless 5.1 audio or 7.2 channel audio, the file will not play, at least if they are the default audio.
I used a 240GB SSD to test.

Last edited by Moritzio; 07-19-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page