*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #1681 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
not on roku tvs according to this list:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...e-Devices-List
I haven't tried any DV from Vudu yet, but it looks like Mark (@imagic) did here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post53396242

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moritzio View Post
If the USB files include lossless 5.1 audio or 7.2 channel audio, the file will not play, at least if they are the default audio.
I used a 240GB SSD to test.

Yeah I noticed that as well with the audio, think I'm going to have to make a new box for local 4K playback the built in is just not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #1683 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So far this has been a GREAT TV.

I wish I had enough money that I could have gotten the Sony 930E, but this was too good to pass up.

I also wish I could more easily test out Dolby Vision.
davehale likes this.

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
not on roku tvs according to this list:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...e-Devices-List
That list hasn't been updated since before the P607 has been released. Have you tried to play a dolby vision movie on vudu? I believe a couple people here already said they did
theboomr likes this.
post #1685 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Yes, DV works on Vudu. I bought 2 UHD movies on Vudu the day I got this TV just so I could see how it looks.

I have also posted a number of times how I think DV crushes blacks on the default DV Dark setting, but I don't think many agree with me. Dark scenes in ST Beyond were so dark I could barley see the characters. Had to switch it to DV normal for things to look good IMO. HDR10 doesn't have this problem so far.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1686 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teufel View Post
Definitely keep me updated since I'm experiencing the same thing, man these TVs are great but definitely seem to have some issues. I hope this is just something that can be fixed with a software update... Another thing I've notice too is that the sharpness level gets reset when going into game mode hdr and doesn't seem to want to stick...

I think you should contact TCL as well. Maybe even reference my post. If it happens again to you try and take a few pics for them. The more reports they get, the better the chance they'll find a fix.
theboomr likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1687 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound quality issues

Not sure if there is a place to calibrate sound settings but the sound coming from my set seems very tinny. I replaced a '07 Panasonic Plasma that didnt have the best sound, but this set sounds completely devoid of any bass. Are there sound settings to change? Does this sound normal?
post #1688 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekdoc View Post
I'm hoping to get some help with my TCL 55P607 tv. I've had it for a month and love it so far. I think it's great value.

1. This issue only came up today. For some reason I am not being able to view any of the Dolby Vision (DV) content on Netflix (NF) just since today. Since I got the set, i've watched a few shows in DV on NF and it worked great.. the little DV pop-up would show and I got the DV presets in video settings. However, just since today I'm facing an issue where it shows the DV tag on the NF app but when I play it's playing in standard video i.e I don't get the DV popup or video settings. I've tried re-setting the TV, signing out of the NF app and reinstalling it. I tried calling TCL, Roku and Netlfix in that order cause each of them just told me to call the other service and offered no help. Is anyone else facing this issue, if yes, any ideas?
Note: HDR10 content plays fine in YouTube and Amazon.

2. The second issue is getting HDMI Arc to work properly with my Vizio SB3651-E0 soundbar. When I first set up everything, it worked great and the TV detected it. Then one day it just stopped playing back. I reset the soundbar and the TV and it detected again but then stopped working shortly thereafter. I've tried resetting both multiple times, other HDMI cables. It doesnt show up in the CEC list but the system audio controls work fine i.e the roku remote controls and powers on the vizio soundbar but doesn't transmit any audio. For now, I hooked it up with optical and still using the limited CEC for audio control but would love to know if there's any fix for this.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying!
1. Sounds like a Netflix issue
2. Try unplugging all of your HDMI devices and plugging them back in.
post #1689 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New owner

Wow, I must be different than EVERYBODY on here(they are ALL concerned that the black level and off axis are terrible. Not for me). I bought last night from BB, and here is what I like/dislike in 30 minutes of watching.

Coming from a 2008 Olevia 747i 47" with the awesome high-end SiliconOptix Realta Hollywood Quality Video processor. I REALLY liked that TV in the day, and up to last week when the main board died. Off axis blacks were TERRIBLE( I mean genuinely, really bad) , but other than that a really nice viewing experience. I'm watching at about 10 feet away.

The TCL Good:
1. That old one had REALLY bad off axis blacks. Everybody complains about this TCL being a VA panel and not good at blacks. Right....I have it in a normal person living room, and the blacks are fine for me. Straight on, and from my 30 deg off axis couch. Just fine, no complaints at all. This is NOT a black room however, but blacks are no problem.
2. The screen is bright and colors rich, but reds need a little work as POP too much. Have done NO calibration yet other than turn brightness from BRIGHTER to NORMAL.
3. The Roku is as expected,good. It is FAST as a user interface and gets HIGH wife approval.
4. Old TV was 132 LBS, new one is 33, NICE.
5. It doesn't smooth everything with the SOE, as that makes me sick, literally, I get motion sick watching SOE on friends larger TVs.
6. Has 'headphone/ext speaker' analog out and going to drive old Logitech 2.1 computer speaker system with tonight (needed, see #1 in the BAD section)
7. 3 HDMI, one should be able to control a speaker system with ARC compatibility. Wish had 4 HDMI, but built in Roku acts like 1, so it's ok.
8. Quick look, no dead or stuck pixels. I haven't run any test images looking for 'flashlighting' yet.
9. Uses IR remote. Plus for me because I have multiple IR Harmony remotes and can use with this TV.

The not so good:
1. The Olevia basically CAME with a soundbar speaker setup.. These really suck. Going to try and fix tonight with an external 2.1 computer speaker setup I can hide behind the unit.

UPDATE:7/20/2017 TURNS OUT THE TV WAS NOT THE MOTION PROBLEM LISTED BELOW. IT WAS THE MEDIA CENTER PC SELECTING 29i AS THE REFRESH RATE WHEN I LOWERED THE PC RES FROM 4K TO 1080. SET TO 60P, 108 AND MOTION NOW IS FINE....
2. Motion is not good. Honestly I don't think ANY new TV would make me as happy as the old Olevias motion handling. New highend units smooth the motion so much, I get sick, and the 60 hz units don't have processing to smooth the motion like they could(Olevia was a 60hz panel and did great). I'm SO spoiled by the old Realta Hollywood Video processor. It was MADE to scale SD to HD and handle all wired motion things at all resolutions without giving an overly smooth effect. EXAMPLE of the bad: Watching ABC morning news and the 'news ticker' on the bottom that scrolls, is REALLY jumpy. Wife noticed it. Old TV smoothed that ticket right out. Maybe that advanced NOISE REDUCTION setting will help. Have to install phone app tonight.
3. Could I have saved money and got the 55S405 without all these fancy Dimming backlights, Dolby Video, HDR. Etc? Are they all, except the dimming backlights, just fads like 3D? Will there be a standard for HDR that this TV supports? Will there be enough HDR content in the future? Will it really matter? I would have saved $150 and not sure I can tell the difference, as even $400 TVs look pretty darn good to me. Plus the down sides would be the same as this one (sound quality and motion).

So I can solve sound as that was expected and am driving the TV with a WMC at 1080p, so I need to check the media center and see if there are any settings I can adjust for the motion, as the TV doesn't do as good as the old Olevia, but none of the new ones do.

P.S. Best Buy experience was not great. I ordered on-line and got email saying it was ready for pickup. I'm over 1.5 hours from my closest BB. When we got there after work, it wasn't ready and they couldn't even find it. 30 minutes later, it came rolling out. They had ZERO TCL tvs on display or even in boxes on showroom. They were only in warehouse. Hard to get foot traffic when not on showroom floor. Then I still don't think I have a proper receipt of the sale. They 'email' receipt but it just confirmed pickup of the ordered unit. My BB account has something that I THINK could be used as a receipt with TCL if needed for warrantee work. Not a great experience.

Last edited by NoOTA; 07-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #1690 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jraiders92 View Post
That list hasn't been updated since before the P607 has been released. Have you tried to play a dolby vision movie on vudu? I believe a couple people here already said they did
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
I haven't tried any DV from Vudu yet, but it looks like Mark (@imagic) did here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post53396242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Yes, DV works on Vudu. I bought 2 UHD movies on Vudu the day I got this TV just so I could see how it looks.

I have also posted a number of times how I think DV crushes blacks on the default DV Dark setting, but I don't think many agree with me. Dark scenes in ST Beyond were so dark I could barley see the characters. Had to switch it to DV normal for things to look good IMO. HDR10 doesn't have this problem so far.
Thanks. I thought this set had already been released by then. I guess Vudu's10 minute previews don't let you sample it then? Tried Lego Batman and Kong previews and the HDR notification didn't pop. Does it pop a different logo if content is using DV?
post #1691 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I have had this TV for a couple of weeks now (the BB P605 edition). I think it's a good tv. Since my Z9 does not have DV yet, I was curious to check it out. I use it for my PC from my couch and to watch Netflix and YouTube videos. Will be using it for gaming in the future with my Nvidia 1080i. Just not ready to play Star Citizen yet. But piddling around with Firewatch and whatnot. Great colors, snappy. It's a keeper for me. I do wish it had more in-depth control settings though as Dark, Darker, Bright etc. are not fine enough controls.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #1692 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Thanks. I thought this set had already been released by then. I guess Vudu's10 minute previews don't let you sample it then? Tried Lego Batman and Kong previews and the HDR notification didn't pop. Does it pop a different logo if content is using DV?
IME trailers are in 480P, 10 minute free clips in HDX (1080P), you need to buy the full movie to get 4K HDR.
theboomr likes this.
post #1693 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
IME trailers are in 480P, 10 minute free clips in HDX (1080P), you need to buy the full movie to get 4K HDR.
duh...no wonder. HDX was looking pretty good.
post #1694 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 82
New review: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #1695 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Certainly validates my purchase of this tv.

I had the same second choice, 900e at 2x the price.

65 inch is my next target.
theboomr likes this.
post #1696 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have the P605 which I bought from BestBuy day before. I noticed a stuck/dead pixel that looks white and green both (it blends into both colors). The FALD mostly takes care of this enough to not impact viewing experience but it is obvious with FALD off. Does this look like something that's fixable or should I deal with returning this in store at BB and waiting for them to stock up again ? I've tried all the software methods only short of "massaging" the screen now. Any comments as to the nature of this defect is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6780.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2246801Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6774.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	2246817

post #1697 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatrion99 View Post
I have the P605 which I bought from BestBuy day before. I noticed a stuck/dead pixel that looks white and green both (it blends into both colors). The FALD mostly takes care of this enough to not impact viewing experience but it is obvious with FALD off. Does this look like something that's fixable or should I deal with returning this in store at BB and waiting for them to stock up again ? I've tried all the software methods only short of "massaging" the screen now. Any comments as to the nature of this defect is appreciated.

Attachment 2246801Attachment 2246817

I have no experience with dead pixels or returns. I would get an exchange .
theboomr and alphatrion99 like this.
post #1698 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Attachment 2246801Attachment 2246817

I had 1 stuck pixel on my 65X930d but not while the show or FALD was on just the menus and I was not looking for it. It found me. It did bother me as I could see it 8 ft away without glasses and I wouldn't click on a show until I looked for it each time. Yep, it was always there but not with FALD.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #1699 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

can you see it from a normal viewing distance or only when your face is right up against the screen?

manufacturers have dead pixel policies . here's tcl's:

https://tclusa.helpjuice.com/20269-r...l-pixel-policy (i lol-ed at 16...)

so if you're still within the return/exchange period you definitely want to do it through the retailer as TCL might not do an exchange later on if this ends up bothering you.
theboomr likes this.
post #1700 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone seen the "P" series at Costco? I know they have the "S" in store. I talked extensively to the TV guy yesterday in our local store, and he said he hasn't seen the P series coming up in their order system yet. Anyone?
theboomr likes this.

Sharp Aquos LC-70C6400U Marantz SR-7009 Marantz MM-7025 Audio Technica AT-LP60SPBT-BK Polk Monitor 70 fronts, Monitor 50 Rears, CS2 Center HTD HD-R80 Top center (X2) HTD HD-W80 Tops (X6) Sunfire HRS-10 Yamaha YST-SW215
post #1701 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
I had 1 stuck pixel on my 65X930d but not while the show or FALD was on just the menus and I was not looking for it. It found me. It did bother me as I could see it 8 ft away without glasses and I wouldn't click on a show until I looked for it each time. Yep, it was always there but not with FALD.

Yep I know that feeling. It shows up in the menus and when an app like Netflix is loading , FALD takes care of it when I'm about 6ft away. I'm leaning towards replacement but that means I'm gonna have to take it to the BBY store and deal with that process. Doesn't help that they currently do not have stock for shipping or store pick up in my area so that'll be interesting.

davehale and theboomr like this.
post #1702 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGR32276 View Post
Has anyone seen the "P" series at Costco? I know they have the "S" in store. I talked extensively to the TV guy yesterday in our local store, and he said he hasn't seen the P series coming up in their order system yet. Anyone?
someone posted something earlier in this thread from a tcl employee that said costco didn't pick up this set. not sure if this is the same case but you'd probably have to ask TCL directly. maybe on twitter or something.
theboomr likes this.
post #1703 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep I know that feeling. It shows up in the menus and when an app like Netflix is loading , FALD takes care of it when I'm about 6ft away. I'm leaning towards replacement but that means I'm gonna have to take it to the BBY store and deal with that process. Doesn't help that they currently do not have stock for shipping or store pick up in my area so that'll be interesting.

mine was an online order for delivery but i was able to schedule an exchange where they delivered a new one and took away the old one in one trip. you might want to check to see if your store could do something similar. not sure if B&M purchases work the same.
post #1704 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
can you see it from a normal viewing distance or only when your face is right up against the screen?

manufacturers have dead pixel policies . here's tcl's:

so if you're still within the return/exchange period you definitely want to do it through the retailer as TCL might not do an exchange later on if this ends up bothering you.

Hmm.. it's viewable from normal distance with FALD off and it's pretty obvious when using the VIvid mode with 'brighter'. It's going to annoy me when I plan on buying and connecting my Xbox one x or PS4 pro in game mode where FALD is disabled. I'm hoping my local Best Buy gets stock next week so I can just walk in and do a replacement. Otherwise...decisions decisions. I know this is only a single dead/bright pixel so maybe even Best Buy will have a problem accepting an exchange.

theboomr likes this.
post #1705 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Now I'm thinking of getting it back.

So, I mentioned on here that I returned my tv due to frames of white or black appearing while streaming 4k hdr Netflix. After a little research I've found this is actually a problem with other 4k hdr tvs. Now I'm wondering if it is Netflix and not the tv causing it or if there's any way to prevent it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Occasionally while watching Netflix (that's the only time I ever noticed it) there would be a frame of either a white flash or black flash. I've seen on Samsung forums that owners of the Samsung 4k hdr tvs have similar experiences.
post #1706 of 6367 Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancpest1 View Post
So, I mentioned on here that I returned my tv due to frames of white or black appearing while streaming 4k hdr Netflix. After a little research I've found this is actually a problem with other 4k hdr tvs. Now I'm wondering if it is Netflix and not the tv causing it or if there's any way to prevent it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Occasionally while watching Netflix (that's the only time I ever noticed it) there would be a frame of either a white flash or black flash. I've seen on Samsung forums that owners of the Samsung 4k hdr tvs have similar experiences.
Yes, my 605 will occasionally have a white flash (in all or part of the screen) watching Netflix DV content. I've tested HDR (non-DV) content on Amazon and don't see it there. Trying to figure out if it's a TCL DV problem or what.
post #1707 of 6367 Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Following up on my 4th set... it's the best of the lot so far, no obviously dead pixels and actually outstanding screen uniformity (I think, I'll try to get pics later to see if I'm right). Flashlighting/clouding is much worse than the other sets I had, but I think I could live with it since FALD seems to solve most of it, and I'm not video gaming that much these days. HOWEVER, my set has one issue that might be a deal breaker for me. The 3rd set had this as well, so I'm wondering if any of you are seeing it.

The issue is that in many dimly-lit scenes, FALD is extremely slow switching from bright to dim. I notice it more in HDR content like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but also see it in a couple places on SDR content like Rogue One. It's really, really distracting, unfortunately, and makes me sad. You can see what I mean in this scene from Daredevil.
l
Yes it's off axis but I promise it's pretty much the same when viewing from any angle. Also, for the record I shot this with a Nikon D5100, 1/60 f1.8 ISO800. Really hope this is just an algorithm problem they can fix with a firmware update. If not I'll probably return it and wait awhile before buying again. I have reported it to themTCL, will update if I get any response.

Also, for shoots and googles, I made a video designed to light up each FALD zone
I
Watch it on your TV way off axis and you can see super clearly how the zones turn on and off as the circle passes through them.
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by rrskda; 07-20-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
post #1708 of 6367 Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
55P605 Owners - Buying Enhanced Remote with Voice Search

I ended up buying the 55P605 from Best Buy because it was actually available close by, and I preferred being able to deal with them locally instead of Amazon if necessary. I cannot believe how awesome this TV is, particularly for the price. I noticed that someone had ordered a refurbished remote with the voice search and WIFI (my soundbar is definitely in the way of the IR on the TV) from eBay (model RC64 I think), but I couldn't see those available anywhere any longer. So I just wanted to share that I decided to buy the Roku Enhanced Remote with Voice Search directly from Roku for $29.99 at https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes. Please make note that this remote does NOT have a power button at the top to turn the TV on/off (it is model RC98) , as it is intended for the latest Roku streaming boxes. However, it worked perfectly for me because I already was using my Comcast Xfinity remote to power on/off the TV and soundbar. So now I have a remote with the WIFI so that it doesn't matter that my soundbar blocks the IR, and the included voice search is pretty slick too. It paired with my TV without any problems when I put the batteries in and turned on the TV. I still ended up paying a few bucks less overall than the Amazon 55P607, and it works great for my particular setup.
theboomr likes this.
post #1709 of 6367 Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGR32276 View Post
Although I am happy with the unit from Amazon, I did ask a costco supervisor 2 weeks ago when I happened to be in a store and he too didnt see any indication of the existing TCL set they have being swapped out. He said check back around black friday. Ha.
Lp85253 and theboomr like this.
post #1710 of 6367 Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watched the cave scene at the end of meridian and for the first time I could really see the power of local dimming on this tv and its pretty amazing. I would say it can get almost oled dark levels when local dimming is set to high.

the bad news is the HDR looks a bit too dark and lacks pop. is it just me or have others noticed it ? I have to set HDR to bright just to get a decent level of light and color .

can a firmware update in the future deal with the dullish HDR ? good news is sdr looks great !

also, I know movie mode is suppose to be the most accurate but skin tones look unnatural and sort of greenish yellow to me. "normal mode" with "warm" color setting seems like the sweet spot to me. colors look good and skin tones look more natural.

my 2 cents after having this tv for a couple of days.

overall the tv has some colors that really pop and amazing contrast for a $600

surprisingly better picture then the samsung 6300 I had before for the same price.

Last edited by nstubbs; 07-20-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page